• Pros

• "It is incredibly easy to use and intuitive in its layout. "

• "The ease of use and ability to switch views of dashboards, tasks is great. The functionality of tracking time without using a third-party tool is also great."

• "Easy to use. Intuitive Dashboard customizable and with the principal information "

• Cons

• "While it is easy to use, it's pretty lacking in features - other management and time tracking tools have more features (like easy ways to access documents, add detailed notes, etc.)"

• "The demo project is ok but I needed a kill switch for it. Deleting the demo data and retain everything else. Else it is perfect."

• "the app targeted for small businesses and freelancers, price is good, but hope there could be a more affordable plan for businesses that hasn't yet taken off"

Browse Paymo Reviews

Frank from Factstory

Constantly improving

Flexible and suitable for a lot of different projects. We gained a lot of insight through the visual data overviews. Tool is constantly improving: new features, upgrades, interface changes for the better. The customer service was friendly and personal. Paymo and DataFeedWatch are my two favorite customer teams. Definitly recommended!

Pros

- Great, flexible project management tool - perfectly scalable - a lot of features and handy shortcuts (saved project lists etc.) - provides a lot of insights per project and client - Very friendly and personal customer service. - Good value for the money

Cons

- Clients did not always get the tool instantly. But recent UX changes could make it easier for them - Communication with colleagues could get a bit chaotic, takes some time to implement in the workflow. - A lot of features requires good knowledye whats the best way to use the tool, so definitly assign someone to create a team workflow.

Pricing and UX

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hi Frank, Nicely worded, thank you! We're working on an improved client portal, with in-app access to guest users so they can contribute and view the project progress in real-time. Follow the thread for it here: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/in-progress-client-portal-collaboration/67/2 Onboarding-wise, the focus for 2020 is going to be on in-app tool tips and video tutorials. Hope this will help you! :)

Andrew from Kay Media

Industry: Graphic Design

Paymo Review

Support is great!

Pros

Cons

No desktop or mobile version and cost is slightly higher than competition.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hi Andrew, Thank you for the kind words! We believe in the power of web and want to make Paymo accessible from everywhere, that's why we've opted for a web version. The only desktop apps that we have are the desktop widget and PaymoPlus - download them here: https://www.paymoapp.com/downloads-and-integrations/ As for the cost, it's a bit of a subjective matter. We couple task management with time tracking, planning, resource scheduling, invoicing, and leave planner - so we pretty much replace the cost of 3-4 apps on average. Not sure which competitors you've tested us against, so can't make a definitive comment. Cheers, Marcel

One of the best kanban boards.

Paymo is one of my best options to manage a project. Its simple and multiple styles of showing project is good. The invoice lets you get paid from your customer which is a big deal.

Pros

One of my first priority is kanban board not because it's best because that's simple to understand for newcomer and needs no training. The simple dashboard and demo data give an idea about the application workflow which is great. The nested task list is very good and it is easy to assign tasks to another member. Controlling all the task is very simple with paymo, I worked as a member and now I have my own project in paymo. For managing a solo project managing is just a breeze. I started with a small photoshop project and it helps me to get the billing hours more efficiently.

Cons

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

You've hit the nail on its head, Kanban is indeed the best way to teach a newcomer about task management in general. You can actually delete the demo project if you go inside the project settings. Were you refering to the onboarding process? If yes, then you're right on time, since we're currently revamping it to contain an opt-out option as well. Thank you again for your time!

Mitch from Bay Town Creative

Best in the Biz (I think)

Pros

What do I like best - the value. When searching for a solution Paymo offered the most for the least and has been continuously working to improve the APP. I work remotely and have been using Paymo to track clients and send time reports to my office for billing a few years now and it has worked flawlessly. The time tracker is great, the time reports are great. There is, I am sure, a tonne of functionality that I haven't even tapped into but it does everything I need very quickly and cleanly. Navigating is a breeze, editing is a breeze, and exporting reports is a breeze.

Cons

My least favorite thing is that every time Paymo refreshes I have to set up all of my preferences again. I have to switch the view, add in a filter to see the projects the way I want, adjust the Time Report forms back the way I had them set up yesterday. Just switching the view from List to Table should be something I should be able to lock-in as a default view.

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

We chose Paymo mostly for value. It offered the most (at the time - I haven't shopped around in a while) for the least and part of the criteria when we were searching to replace the self-hosted open-source software we were using at the time (I don't remember what it was called - 2014 installed through Softaculous on the cPanel). But also, we chose Paymo because the UI was great. It looked good and was really intuitive to get around the app. It has only gotten better.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Good news, Mitch: time reports will be upgraded and support a more used friendly interface. About the preference issue, can you please write it down on our community forum so it gets more traction from the community? https://community.paymoapp.com/ Thank you!

Cameron from Needham SOlutions LLC

Monopolize you cause you can't export ANYTHING easily

Would NOT recommend it to anyone who has even the slightest of "outside the box" process for projects or billing/invoices.

Pros

Yet another system that after several months of use only did what we needed it too at 75% of the way, then AFTER buying into the "huge discount" and special they had going, did I find out they do not allow refunds at all! If you put ANY data into the system and ever need to export it for any reasons ...find a data entry person and hope you didn't enter a lot of information because unless you are a developer that can setup custom API's...your info is stuck in their system! You can enter clients, companies, etc. and change view to "Table" and see it in table mode, but that view still only gives you the general company information, NOT the contacts for that company and that is 1 of 2, yes that is right 2 places in the entire system of everything you may have entered where you can download/export that view into Excel/CSV file....everything else is PDF if you are lucky!! If you are a VERY small, VERY basic bookkeeping/accounting freelancer (NO TEAM, just you and very basic billing) - fine, it may work...but if you have more than 1 person in your team other than you, have different rates or even the SLIGHTEST out of the norm billing or cycles...GOOD LUCK!!! I am furious with this system after being told what it could do and I explained in detail, and "oh yeah, that is not a problem at all"...only to find out, everything I explained about what we needed, went in one ear and out the other just to make the sale...now I have a barely usable system and wasted $$$$!!

Cons

Can't export anything unless you have a developer standing bye. System is very "inside the box" thinking even after being told it would easily do what I had explained that I needed it to do support seems to take longer than usual and they are quick to respond with an answer that has NOTHING to do with what you originally asked (bots maybe?!?!) Can't get a refund, no matter how many lies they told you to make the sale in the first place!!!

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

Because I am an idiot and made a mistake and now I am paying for it...literally - I am now out lots of money cause they won't refund people!!

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hi Cameron, Sorry to see you disappointed. Our goal is to help you improve the way you work, not to sell you on something. Indeed, you can export client, project, user lists, as well as time reports in csv format - invoices and Gantt Charts are available in PDF only. However, due to the fact that there's no standardised data structure for project management data, the only practical way to export it is via our API. And no, we're no bots, and don't force anyones hand to make a sale.

A compact project management system.

For a mid, small or solo user paymo is just enough to manage any kind of project. The free plan is enough and offers enough features to start and then upgrade if needed.

Pros

Paymo is a very compact project management system. I have used a lot of project and task management for my work and paymo is my new favorite. I like the UI its similar to me like all other project management services. Paymo is a cloud-based service that means I can now use it with just my netbook and all my data is safe in their server. Cloud data is safer than my pc and secure too. The task manager is a very simple and nested task is also a very attractive feature for me. To manage projects one man is enough, this helps me to save a lot of time and money. The free plan offers a very generous offering.

Cons

The dashboard is too crowded. I don't like to see so much info on my desktop. I prefer the tabbed style revels.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Thank you for the kind words! May I ask what details would you like to show up on your dashboard? You can also write your use case on this thread from our community forum about customizable dashboards: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/customisable-panels-in-the-dashboard/186 Thank you, Marcel

Darren from Infinity Nation

Growing with Paymo

We are able to clearly see where our staff hours are being spent, against which clients and projects.

Pros

Paymo suited our business need to manage both time and projects. Its simplicity was a key reason for opting to choose Paymo over the masses of other tools available. Paymo has improved and grown during the last 2 years, introducing new tools that have demonstrated the companies willingness to listen to their users and add functions and improve current functionality

Cons

Unable to 'repeat' projects, at the touch of a button, always have to re-enter all the details, even if the project repeats.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hey Darren, Indeed, we don't have recurring projects for now. Have you tried saving the project as a template, then pasting it when a new, similar one comes up? Here's how to do it: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/2922772-how-do-i-use-project-templates Hope it helps!

Manuel from RLC Media

Simple, Easy to use and Works the way it's supposed to

Pros

We use Paymo on a daily basis. The set-up for new users is extremely easy. This helps us especially because we use freelance professionals for different projects and Paymo helps us keep track of all of the different users on a per-project basis.

Cons

No cons at the moment. We use it every day and we never have issues. It helps that their mobile version is easy to operate as well.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hi Manuel, Appreciate the support! The mobile app will be improved this year, supporting comments and task managemenet features so you can better collaborate with your team. Stay tuned!

Katherine from Onyx Design

Great way to track time

I recommend Paymo to anyone who needs to keep track of their time; it's useful for agencies and those who work in a consulting capacity.

Pros

Easy to use and quick functionality. You can even customize the color scheme.

Cons

Nothing immediate comes to mind. It may be nice if the software detected when your task is active for more than 24 hours perhaps, and stops it. Sometimes people forget to turn it off over the weekend.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hey Katherine, We do have idle time detection on our desktop widget and Paymo Plus - download them here: https://www.paymoapp.com/downloads-and-integrations/ I would recommend the desktop widget to start with, PaymoPlus is more for multi-taskers. The web timer will soon undergo a complete revamp, so expect some goodies soon :)

Joan from Santi Joan

Industry: Photography

Paymo experience

Pros

What I would like to highlight is the ease of the interface and the options it has.

Cons

What I like least is that the customers section has few options to interact and show the customer, but otherwise delighted.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hey Joan, Indeed, the customer right now is represented in the form of a contact under a client, with the right to view the shared time reports and invoices. We're currently working on an improved client portal with in-app access to guest users (clients in your case), so they can make suggestions and see the project progress in real time - without the eternal back and forths. Follow the thread on our community forum for updates on this topic: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/in-progress-client-portal-collaboration/67/2

Awesome issue management software with good time tracking

I would recommend this service to every middle sized company, which is looking for a good solid isseu tracking software.

Pros

The time tracking and the desktop app for tracking are one of the best I've seen so far. This is one of the major point we choose this service of others. The issue mgmt and reports are also quite handy.

Cons

The resource management could be improved and also some minor bugs.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hey there, Our team scheduler is our spear-of-attack so to say, hence it's being constantly updated. Just recently, we've launched a remaining hours feature that allows you to see the available bookable hours at a project and user level in a simpler format: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/3578183-view-at-a-glance-the-remaining-hours-at-a-project-and-user-level Expect more updates in this direction, like the ability to directly book a resource from the full task details. Cheers!

Leonardo from Lunardi Architecture

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Simple and beautiful online solution to handle my small design business time tracking needs.

The main reason for switching to this software is that it allowed my entire team to track time. After using the software for a few months, there have been several benefits from using the software: - Interface is very clean and allows to track much more data that I was able to do before. - As stated in the pros, one of the best feature of the software is that it allows users to create task lists individual for each project. This allows our office to set up each project exactly per the contract. This keeps a tight control on the time spent on the project and allows tracking of additional services that are not part of the original contract. - I am working on the invoice template for the office. If i am able to set this up correctly, invoicing time would be reduced significantly each month. - The ability to track time directly out of the windows environment is great. - I am not using the time tracking feature on my phone, mostly because i spend a lot of time sitting at a desk, however other people in the office are using this feature and are happy with it. - Next step for us is to start implementing control on billable hours per user. This will allow us to control billable time and help organize employee time and work.

Pros

I have looked at several options for my company and decided on Paymo for the following reasons: - The software has a very clean and intuitive interface - One of the best features is how you can customize how projects are set up and tracked. You generate a task list that is checked off as you move trough the project. This is an amazing feature that organizes the project while it tracks it. It took a lot of effort to re-design how my company tracks project but in the end I am very happy with results. - Pricing system is fair and scalable. - The software comes with a windows desktop application. It also has a more advanced feature where it automatically calculates how your time is used -I have not tired this yet because I don't think it would work for my office. - The ability to enter the time on a weekly calendar is fantastic. The software also has a bulk time add feature if needed. - I am able to export all of the data in CSV format - You are able to invoice directly out of the software - I have not been able to set up this feature yet but i am working with the support team to figure out how to make it work for my company. - The software has several features that I have not been able to implement yet. - Customer support has been great, answer is usually within an hour or two directly from the developers.

Cons

Below is a list of some of the limitations i have encountered using the software. - The calendar time-sheet input is great, but it should allow drag-paste feature. This would make entering time so much faster. Not a deal breaker, because in the end time input is fairly quick. - I was not able to import the data from my previous time-sheet software. I would like to see the option to import bulk time from an excel spreadsheet if needed. This is not a critical feature, but I have several years worth of data, that for now have to keep in a different software. - The software comes with some standard invoice formats, it does take some effort to create custom templates. Architectural service invoices tend to be fairly complicated, I have not been able to set up the invoices as I would like yet. Support is working with me on this issue, so hopefully I can report back once I have it all setup. - You can create custom reports for anything you want, so getting the data out is not a problem however I find that the process is a bit more tedious than what I was accustomed to before. To be fair I still need to learn the software.

Response from Paymo

Replied August 2018

Hi Leonardi, You can use click and drag in Timesheets in the Day and Week view to create new time entries. Data can be imported/exported by using our API. You can also clone time reports, so after you get your desired settings for one report, you can clone it and only change some of the settings.

Liviu from Visual-Fix

Best Project Management Solution

It is really easy to keep track of all the work that has been done. I'm not sure if it's generally the best project management software out there, but it definitely is the best for our company and our business model.

Pros

In the beginning it was just a software that we could use to time track all our tasks and projects, but it grew on us and right now our business depends on it. It is really easy to use, very easy to keep an eye on the team, and extremely useful in keeping track of all the work that the team does.

Cons

There are not many cons to this software, but if I had to nitpick I would probably say it could have more financial management features, since this is the software that we use for invoicing and keeping track of our finances.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hi Liviu, Kudos for your trust in us :) Would you mind telling us what additional financial management features do you want to see come to light? I'm asking since we're going to revamp the whole invoicing module, so it's best to submit your use case and suggestions on our community forum: https://community.paymoapp.com/ Thank you!

Peter from University of St Andrews

Team management made easy

Paymo has transformed how our team works, making time tracking easy and allowing our project managers to accurately assign work to colleagues.

Pros

You can create custom invoice templates, some of our invoices can be rather complicated but Paymo made it easy to set them up. The time tracking feature is incredibly easy to use, when trialing other applications our staff would always lose interest and forget to update theirs after a few weeks. With Paymo it was so easy to use that our staff have actually stuck with it! Paymo is constantly being updated based on user feedback, the developers really do listen to their community!

Cons

Tracking a large number of projects at one time can get quite confusing, you can label and categorise them but when working with tens' of small(ish) projects the user interface get's rather busy. The ability to import previous projects / calendars would be excellent, currently these have to be manually entered in.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hi Peter, I might use this testimonial on our website :D Yes, we're aware of the speed problems and already take active steps towards improving it. As for the import function, that's a bit tricky since there's a lot of apps to import data from and no one standard format. Can you write us at support@paymoapp.com about the tool you want to import projects from? For existing projects in Paymo, you have the project templates. Thanks!

Karen from consulting services

Excellent Time Tracking and Team Scheduling Application

Pros

easy to use, reliable, accurate time tracking. Robust features. Unlimited clients and projects. Each project will have a dashboard showing total hours worked and how many tasks out of total have been completed. Projects can be tracked by custom categories, like bid, active, on hold, lost/won, archived. Task view can be switched between list, table, and kanban; users can collaborate by commenting on tasks, attaching files, assigning the task, and setting due dates. Team Scheduling allows you to see who is busy (or overwhelmed) and who is free to work on more tasks. Accounting features: Invoicing, Estimates, Expenses. The built-in timer makes tracking time spent working on tasks quick and easy.

Cons

Paymo is constantly improving this software and adding great, new features. One that would be helpful is the ability for each user to have a view showing all the tasks assigned to them, sorted by due date. Currently there is a My Tasks section, but it only sorts by Project Name.

Response from Paymo

Replied August 2018

Hi Karen, With adding the Home area we also improved the My tasks area and added more filters and different views.

Aaron from Thrive Web Designs

Paymo is great for time tracking and more!

Paymo makes tracking time a breeze with great management features and role capabilities. Absolutely love the granular control on the reports and ability to manage users, projects, tasks and more. Support has always been super helpful - only contacted them twice in the last 4 years though...so that should say something. Shop approved!

Pros

We've been using Paymo in our web development shop now for years. We love the time tracking widget and always have it up on our desktops or phone to track the time we spend bouncing from project to project. Forgot to turn off the timer? No problem - can easily fix it and be on your way. Setting up projects, tasks, user management - all a breeze. The Paymo team keeps coming out with new features and what used to be just a time tracking tool is now becoming a full on project management tool. We're actually looking to expand how we use Paymo very soon...

Cons

For how we're using it right now, we don't use all the project management features and have found that PaymoWidget 4.0.19 actually works better for what we need presently. As we move our org forward though, we'll be adopting their newest widget.

May 2016

Colin from Quantos

May 2016

Deceptively well-designed app/software. Excellent value and clever too.

Do the free trial to see why. You'll get an initial impression that compared to the feature rich apps of Wrike, Asana, Basecamp, Teamwork and many others that Paymo is fairly simple. It is but it has some very-well considered functionality around user permissions, pricing and invoice/report generation. The user interface again looks simple but works great. For us, what's great about Paymo is: 1. Pricing. Great at $4.95 per user. That's a real per user price. 1 user = $4.95 per month. 2. Additional users (we use many collaborators) can then be switched on/off as required. 3. Good user permissions (switch on/off admin, tasks, projects, invoices, estimates, expenses) 4. The general focus on user performance metrics/utilization (with a good dashboard + individual user metrics by hour, month, project and billed/unbilled time. 5. Fantastic, customisable client reporting and wrap-up invoicing with unlimited free client access to these features*. *The invoice module ($9.95/month per account - which is great way to charge for this) monitors unbilled time with a one-click invoice generation button. That's a great feature whether you use Paymo to send (and receive payments) or not. In similar fashion, the client report generation tool is cleverly set-up so you can group time/costs by client, user, projects, task lists, tasks, time, day or billed status as well as include the original budgets by project or tasks. For us that's a massive time-saver and a feature-set that not available or so quick and easy to manage on any other PM system we've tried. The con's on the present feature list (hence why I've only rated Paymo 4 stars overall): 1. There's no easy to see/use UI control over project/task timescales. 2. Equally, no-billable tasks/reminders don't sit as well in the system. 3. Updates aren't realtime, another great Wrike feature. 4. There's no client/guest access to the project details (which I would have thought Paymo could add easily, by making making the default user status 'view only'. 5. Generally speaking Paymo isn't a slick or richly featured as other leading-class PMs. However, as of May 4th 2016 there's a promise on Paymo's pricing page that Gantt charts, task scheduling and progress tracking is 'coming soon'. Would be great to know roughly what that means Paymo but those three features even if relatively simple but robust (in Paymo's style) would considerably round-off and build-out the Paymo App experience.

Alison from The Open University

Paymo pays for itself...

As a very small business - there are only the two of us - I needed a way to accurately track the time we were spending on client projects. Paymo does that for us in a very straightforward way, and the click-and-create reports mean that I can see the information I need for invoicing and get an overview of how we're working through the agreed hours very easily. Not only is our invoicing more accurate - nearly all our monthly invoices have increased as we're not forgetting the odd half-hour here and there - but I also have the answers to the 'what were we doing all day' questions when we spent time on non-chargeable tasks and I'm able to keep a better track of those tasks, too. (I don't use Paymo's invoicing facility - it seem straightforward enough, but I want to do all my accounting in one application to simplify the VAT process.)

Pros

Support is fantastic - I have only had to ask for help a couple of times, but when I do the built-in online help facility means I get an answer very quickly, using language I understand. The other thing that is great is the flexibility of the reporting module. One of my clients likes to see how we're using up the agreed project hours as we go through, so I have created a report just for him and given him the link. He's happy to be getting the information he needs to plan without my having to spend time getting it for him.

Cons

Most of the things that were on my wish list have been incorporated into recent releases. The only one I would still like would be the ability to share reports within the company - at the moment, I do a screenshot of the configuration and my employee copies it. It's not a huge issue, but it would be useful to be able to have personal and shared (company-wide) reports.

John from Elements Architectural Group

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Paymo is very user friendly and intuitive.

The software saved lots of time on repetative non-billable tasks. It gives us more control over data and helps us narrow our focus on the parts of projects that need more efficiency.

Pros

Paymo is easy to learn, manage, and use. The price is right for most any size company and the core features are well tuned. It has saved time when preparing timesheets each week and helps us track our hours very efficiently. In a service based industry, a software like Paymo takes the uncertainty out of knowing whether or not you are on target. The ability to gather vast amounts of data in seconds really has helped analyze our effectiveness at estimating and highlight areas for improvement. The software's permissions setup and general user interactions are much more suited to a company that has competent employees, unlike competitors like T-sheets (quickbooks). Other time trackers tend to assume the employees are incapable of managing their timesheet and set up a lot of rules that act as roadblocks to efficiency. Paymo maintains control without becoming overbearing.

Cons

The built-in invoicing feature is a little difficult to fully customize. It has "custom" options, but they are not full control. It does allow for custom coding for invoice generation which we are doing now, but this requires someone on staff who is fairly well versed in HTML and other scripts/codes. I wish that Paymo would talk directly with a desktop version of Quickbooks, but it does work with Quickbooks Online through Zapier Apps.

Luis Daniel from Nexus Multimedia

Ideal tool for project management from small companies to big ones

I'm solving the business problems of: - having all the project planning and content in one single place - tracking the time

Pros

I like the user interface, is very clean and friendly. it takes less than 5 minutes to understand how everything works which is a great advantage to train other people to use this tool. I love how you can organize all the tasks, content and planning for each project. I've been using this software for about 5 years now and will definetely recommend it to others.

Cons

I don't like that they still don't have an easy to use mobile app that shows all the content of a project. the mobile app is very limited. I hope that they can improve and give the mobile development a higher priority since we live in a mobile world these days. There's no way to capture screenshots of what other employees are doing or measuring the productivity

Ben from Natural Posture

Simple but great

I use Paymo to organise my time and projects across three businesses. I've used various task managers and high-end project management software in the past, but Paymo hits a real sweet spot for me.

Pros

It's a really simple interface, but still has enough features to make it usable. I evaluated around ten other project management tools before selecting Paymo. Tech support is friendly and responsive.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is just a limitation of the browser, but I find the interface a little slow at times. It doesn't really slow me down significantly, just used to using lots of keyboard shortcuts. More standard spreadsheet-style table entry would be good. But honestly, it's great.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hi Ben, You're not wrong, the app might experience low speed sometimes (it's a combination of several factors), but we're aware of this and already take active steps in this direction. As for the spreadsheet-style input, you can go for the Task's Table View to add task details in-line, as well as the add bulk option for time tracking. Hope this helps! Marcel

Gerrit from Design Express

Paymo has a cool widget

Time tracking is a matter of discipline. Paymo is easy enough to use on a daily base, I had little to no trouble on adapting to the habit.

Pros

The Paymo setup is quite easy and transparent. In order to customize it for our needs, I found out that I could perhaps manipulate the hierarchy of clients / projects / task lists / tasks. Before doing so, I checked with their Support desk (live chat!) to make sure I wouldn't run into problems later on. So now, we have a structure that fits our needs pretty well. The application allows for many views (tables!) and reports.

Cons

For managing a team, it would be nice to have options to save filters, so that you can quickly jump from one view to another. Some views are a bit too bland, making me feel a little lost on where to go.

Anne-Marie

March 2016

Excellent Project Management Software!

I have been using Paymo for about a year now and it has changed my productivity for the better. As a Freelance PA/Project Manager I work for different companies so it is imperative that I can track my time spent on different projects and tasks. Paymo does this easily and with no fuss. Paymo is easy to set up and use. The free trial is perfect for trying out Paymo. I did just that initially and was so impressed that I had to continue with the paid version of Paymo. Once Paymo had been set up and customised I could just log onto Paymo each day and easily track time. It is easy to switch between projects too. Paymo has an overview of hours worked, unbilled amounts, milestones, discussions etc so easy to see at a glance progress per project. At the end of each month I use Paymo to easily invoice my clients. Just one click of a button to invoice unbilled time, check the invoice and send by email! Easy. Paymo then keeps a list of invoices sent out which can be updated to show status. The invoice itself looks very professional and I easily added a company logo. There are custom settings to save the text to be used when sending out invoices. Customer Service is impeccable, on the few occasions I have needed to ask a question I have had fast, helpful responses and have always been dealt with very professionally and quickly. I highly recommend using this project management software, it is time saving, quick, easy and can do an awful lot to assist with the admin side of running a business. I wouldn't be without it! Thank you Paymo!

Pros

Initial free trial. Easy to set up and use. Easy to customise. Easy to track time. Easy to invoice clients. Reporting option available. Excellent customer service, fast to respond and very helpful.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Danielle from Danielle Smallwood Design Service

Great Product Must Have

Being able to track the hours and what project goes to which client has been so helpful.

Pros

As a graphic designer who needs to keep track of hours, I have always been able to depend on Paymo to keep accurate track of my time. Being able to send the data to my clients is a plus.

Cons

I had some issues with the desktop app so I started using it directory from the site to track time.

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

The functionality of the software. It was easy to understand and I was able to give clients a pdf or link to track the hours.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hey Danielle, Glad that we can help you with time tracking The desktop widget is stable, you can go ahead and download the latest version here: https://www.paymoapp.com/downloads-and-integrations/ Good news, the web timer is going to be updated as well - so stay tuned!

Juan Pablo from Crdenas, Vargas y Canales, S.C.

Industry: Law Practice

Paymo is an invaluable tool for Law Firms.

Pros

It allows our clients to know the time we dedicate to each of their cases. Clients can review the expenses generated by their affairs. The Law Firm knows how much time we dedicate to the affairs of each of our clients, and allows us to detect how complicated or simple an issue is. We can assign new lawyers to each case in a simple and intuitive way. The reports are easy to read and of great quality for our clients. Its mobile tools are simple to use. The software for the computer is simple and intuitive. It has plans and prices that are adapted for each work team.

Cons

Some sections are not translated completely into Spanish, as is the case of Team Scheduling, but this has met all our expectations.

Response from Paymo

Replied August 2018

Hi Juan Pablo, We're currently working on improving the translations and we're rewarding users that help. For more details, please get in touch with us by using the in app help button.

Claire

Paymo for start-ups

I started a business earlier this year. My budget was very tight, but I also knew what I needed in terms of a time tracking app. I searched around for a free app, and found Paymo after trying a few others first. Paymo was the easiest to start using immediately and had the functionalities I needed. Even the free version of it had what I was looking for. Actually, the app gave me more than I was looking for. The best part of it? It provides all the functionality you need but also doesn't take forever to learn how to use. That's important to me, because I just don't have the time to study all the apps I need. Soon, I will become a paying client, but I am writing this out of gratitude. I am amazed that Paymo offers a free version and it's definitely the one I will stick with when I can afford to start paying for the upgraded version. Thank you Paymo, for helping a small start-up company like mine!

Pros

1. Functionality - it has everything you need 2. The support is outstanding and fast 3. It is simple to use and to figure out 4. Allows me to add my own logo to reports 5. Allows me to add time manually 6. Allows me to show exactly what I am busy with

Cons

It may very well be my own fault for not going through any tutorials, but the only draw-back of the app (it could also be due to me using the free version) is that I have to delete the project each week so that the report will look as I want it to in terms of the hours. What would make things easier for me (this could also be my own fault for not checking a tutorial) is if I did not need to add new tasks in weekly because I delete last week's project for reporting purposes. Please excuse me if this is my own fault - it could be, so don't take my word for it as far as the cons go!

Haley from CooperHouse

Paymo Review--difficult to learn, but once you do, beneficial.

Overall, I think it's going to be very beneficial for our company. I'm still getting used to all the features and navigating what will work best for our unique situation, but all the diverse functionalities of Paymo make me believe that whatever we want the software to do, we can make it happen.

Pros

Time tracking and comments. The time tracking makes payroll and time management much easier and the comments section make it to where communication can be very much like social media in the threads and everything is contained within the project. It makes it easier to stay organized. The customer service is also incredible. Very helpful and VERY fast which helped me learn the software quicker. I was also very thankful for the video tutorials on the website.

Cons

The learning curve. There are many many customizable functions which is great but having never used it before, it was difficult to navigate all the options. It might be best to have a short questionnaire right when you purchase the program that asks what you are going to use it for...maybe rating a few things in order of importance, size of business, what you do, etc. and there can be a default setup that lets you customize as you go without having to make so many decisions up front? But I know each business is so different. Which makes this software great for almost any company. Just a little overwhelming at first.

Steve from PX2 Pty Ltd

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Excellent time recording / analysis tool that has always been good, and is still getting better.

Great visibility of where time is being spent, including analysis of time write-offs, job profitability and staff productivity levels.

Pros

Paymo is easy to use in configuration, time recording and reporting. It's a great solution for scheduling and recording staff and subcontractor time.

Cons

Paymo is attempting to make the transition from a time recording utility to a full-blown project management tool. In this regard it has a way to go, so it's sort of caught in the middle at the moment. I've made a couple of attempts to work with the auto-time recorder, but have given up each time (but that's possibly more related to the fragmented nature of my work - your mileage may vary.

Popa from IDP Law Office

Industry: Law Practice

I've been using Paymo for 1 year now. It is of great help - easy to use and very friendly interface.

Fantastic added-value to my business.

Pros

It is one of the most friendly timekeeping software I've ever used. Although I do not use all its functions (e.g. accounting), it has proven to be a "must-have" for my professional activity. I really appreciate customer support - all queries addressed over time have received prompt and useful response. The price is competitive and the budget options provided are highly appreciated. I warmly recommend the software. I also love the option to fill-in time both bulk (e.g., 2 hours) and by hours (12:00 - 14:00). My clients really appreciate this kind of transparecy.

Cons

It would also be of great help if time reports could be exported in Word format (editable). This is not necessary a "con", but an improvement suggestion.

July 2016

LeShante from Long Distance Assistants

July 2016

Time Tracking, Invoicing, and More...All In One!

For a few years, I've been using Paymo and it has become an essential part of project management for our business. We're able to keep our project, client and time reports organized, as well as files and invoices...yes they offer an easy invoicing system that integrates with the tasks and projects created very well. So, they've been good to us and are constantly improving to keep up with the needs of their customers!

Pros

Everything I listed in my experience, as well as the other features like team collaboration (that we haven't tried yet, but are going to in the coming months)

Cons

Without the invoice add-on, you only have the option to create one invoice per month...I wish it were at least 2 :(

Denise from sandstonecastles

Can't imagine running my own business without it

Pros

I absolutely love Paymo Plus! I've never been able to work with stopwatch-like time trackers so having Paymo Plus run in the background tracking my time spent on client projects is amazing. It runs all the time and at the end of the day, I simply allocate the entries to my different client projects. And being able to not just check how much time I spent on a day, in a week, month or year, but also per project, client or task is priceless.

Cons

I don't use the task and project management features at all and the same goes for the invoicing. More specialised app are better for that.

Gary

One of my 'must haves'

As a freelance programmer I've tried and/or used a whole range of tracking and project management software over the past 20 years or so but Paymo has come as close to the perfect solution for me as I'm ever likely to find.

Pros

I use the Mac widget most of the time. I find logging in to online services irritating so Paymo is perfect. Everything goes in via the (unobtrusive widget) and I log in to the Paymo website maybe once or twice a month to create reports. The time tracking reports are very professional and easy to create.

Cons

I can't think of any other than maybe that it doesn't have a cup of coffee ready for me in the morning :)

Paymo is a great tool for management and tracking time on projects, and is very easy to pick up.

Pros

I liked how easy it is for a new user to pick the tool up and figure out how it works, and I like the visuals they use to show how much time you've worked/how you're splitting time between projects.

Cons

Response from Paymo

Replied August 2018

Hi, Just wanted to let you know that we integrate with Google Drive so you can add file to and from Google Drive account to your Paymo account. Also you can add task descriptions, comments, create topics/discussions etc.

Jason from Bnpositive Communication

A Great App for Freelancers to Manage Client Projects

I was first introduced to Paymo because a client was using it already for their own internal business management logistics. As I became more familiar with its features and functionality, I began using it for my own projects.

Pros

Makes it easy to keep track of multiple projects across multiple clients Quick timesheet reports are very helpful Helpful for breaking down time usage across projects

Cons

Wish the automatic timer had some additional functionality for alerts Some additional customization options on displays would be nice

Response from Paymo

Replied July 2016

Hey Jason, thank you for the review, greatly appreciated! I'm glad you like the app, and.. you're right: it's very hard to find the "perfect app", and it's much harder to build the perfect one :)

Simple and powerful project management

Overall this is a nice and simple project and time management system. As it provides free plans for a freelancer I can use it for my own projects. I recommended it.

Pros

Google signup is more secure than traditional login system as they don't use any kind of password and google work as an auth server. Setup is straight forward and simple. As paymo also support kanban boards I want to check them out, Tha additional time tracking is really a good and nice option. It helps me remove all the time tracking applications that I am currently using. 1 user for the free plan is great but sometimes I need the 2-3 user to help me with one projects, then I have to use trello as it supports multi-user for the free plan. I GB storage is decent as I don't use storage here.

Cons

I didn't find any problem but the manual time should use dropdown and 5 min interval.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hi there, We're currently working at an imrpoved client protal with in-app access to guest users, so that will solve your issue with external collaborators. Manual time does have dropdown intervals ranging from 5 to 30 min, check them here: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/888731-how-can-i-add-time-manually Thank you!

April 2016

April 2016

A software that makes my life easy

I was for a long time looking for a software that will help me to have my business organized to be able to worry about my work and dont spend time managing invoices and tasks. I've tried a lot of solutions and always found something wrong, fundamentally I wanted something simple and that would allow me to automate some tasks; with paymo I found it.

Pros

- the invoices addon is easy to use - allow me to customize the number of invoices according to my accounting - allows me to set a date of expiration to the invoices and sends emails automatically to my clients if the invoice is not paid. Repeating these reminders every x days - you can add a link to pay the invoices so that the customer can pay them through paypal, stripe, etc. - you can create automatically recurring invoices every month - you can ask for invoices to be sent automatically or do it manually.

Cons

There is only one thing that i would like to add to paymo. Its the possiblity to customize the name of the invoice files with a format that i can choose

Paula from Ability Software Limited

So simple to use

It's fantastic at keeping a track on our team's hours and we can easily see when a project is running close to over budget. The invoicing function is invaluable to us as a small business and is very easy to use and efficient.

Pros

It is incredibly easy to use and intuitive in its layout.

Cons

The report writer doesn't allow you to edit the report on line - you need to edit the entry on the timesheet or re-run the report

Genevive from Pigiste

I really like this software. It fits almost all my business needs as a freelance.

Pros

Capacity to send invoices by email via Paymo. The Time Sheets is easy to use and I can easily create invoices afterwards. I like having access to the reports, which help me monitor how well my business is doing.

Cons

Would like more possibilities to adapt each invoice either in French or English to be able to write Email Templates either in French or English (now I have to write it in both languages in the same Email, which is not very personal) or to be able to insert a rate PER client directly in the Clients File.

I have used Paymo previously and like it a lot except for one thing.

Again, I think it's a great application, but my less costly (free!) apps work much better at task creation than Paymo, and that's huge for me.

Pros

Paymo is a great full-service project manager / task list / time-tracker / reporting and invoicing application. I think it's great that they give you up to 1GB of storage for free and up to 50GB for their first level of pricing. I used them a long time ago and their product has become very professional looking as well, and nicely integrated among its different features. The price is OK, but not high for what you get especially if you use all the features.

Cons

The only thing I'm not a fan of, and this goes for most apps that are task oriented is that it doesn't seem to have a pre-built app integrated with some of the more mail clients. There are some that allow you to connect with their application at the point of opening an email, turn it into a task, and select which customer/project you want to assign it, and your done. I guess Paymo might offer this availability via some custom coding via their API (and kudows for that!), but usually it's handed off via a somewhat clunky zap from Zapier that relies on presetting the projects and email labels. Seems like it could be easier.

Andrew from Freelancer

Paymo saves you time - lots of it!

I am a remote freelancer. From day one, Paymo made planning, budgeting, organizing, and billing simple and straight forward. Example: I use it for project planning and task management. I didn't' even realize at the time, but using the built-in timer against each individual task made it so that I could report to my customer overall time on each high-level project and task. When it came time for the first billing, they wanted that level of detail, and got it w/o with the invoice, w/o having to ask. That makes me look VERY good in their eyes. This is the sort of detail put into this product. Expect to be wowed.

Pros

The workflow. I enter data once at the top of the workflow - build out projects, tasks and subtasks. From there, I can estimate, budget, track. When it comes time to bill, one click and my customer has everything they need, including detailed time tracking information.

Cons

There are a lot of needs by different types of use cases. Paymo can't satisfy everything. Of the few details that _I_ personally would like to have, their support has always offered a useful alternative.

Guy

Very creative and fully-featured

I have been using Paymo since their version 2, when it was free (around 2 years, give or take). I got hooked back then, then fell even more in love with it when Version 3 came out. I found it when looking for a time clock tool. I run a small business that is hourly contract based, so I needed something to allow me to track multiple employees (users), and the time being spent on contracts. Paymo fit that bill very well. The invoicing features are awesome as well. Project Management is not really its design focus, however it does have a pretty robust setup that is more than adequate. You can track clients, projects and tasks with fairly decent organization. Some detailed reporting and a few light dashboard graphs top off a nice package.

Pros

Invoicing (custom templates, recurring invoices), Reports (customizable, very detailed), Time Tracking (detailed time sheets, detailed timer widget, summary graphs, mobile app, best I've seen), Support (support is email based, however is maintained through an in-page chat type format, making it very easy to communicate with support, and they have pretty quick response, usually same or next day.)

Cons

Really not much to say here. These guys are emerging into this market, so every once in a while I encounter a bug or so. Sometimes they are slow to get them fixed. I get the feeling that they are struggling just a little bit to keep up with demand.

Anne-Marie from Rose Holistic Treatments

March 2016

Excellent project management software! Highly Recommended!

Csar from Drop Agency

PaymoApp - Great Software to manage a office

Great program, I tested various software and no answer my management needs and control that intended, the PaymoApp was the one who managed. Additionally the "time tracking" is the best we could find to control the production, running in the background, and only associate the task to the time it is automatically counted! With time and use, the metrics become important management indicators! I strongly recommend.

Pros

Response from Paymo

Replied July 2016

Thank you for the review Csar! In the near future, we're going to focus on improving the dashboard and make it even more useful.

Carolyn from Linden Botanicals

Paymo is helping us manage tasks & deadlines more efficiently -- it's making our lives much easier.

Pros

We're able to manage client projects, tasks, deadlines, and timesheets, which is transforming the way we coordinate and manage short- and long-term tasks. It's provided much-needed structure. Paymo has additional capabilities that we haven't yet taken advantage of -- reporting, for example. In 2018, we look forward to exploring all of Paymo's features and optimizing our use of its capabilities.

Cons

Some aspects of Paymo's use weren't intuitive to our team, and we had to receive some training to take advantage of some of its capabilities. However, that training was very easy to come by, and Paymo's support has been very responsive.

A great way to track your client's billable hours.

Overall it is a great service that my colleagues and self use with ease to log billable house and create reports for clients. I highly recommend it.

Pros

The website and phone app make it very easy to actively track billable hours when doing work for a client.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is the pop-up chat/notification window at the bottom right on the website.

Yvette from ONYX Design

Overall Paymo is a great project management tool and has a decent time tracking feature.

The ease of time tracking and invoicing saved us a lot of time.

Pros

I like Paymo's time tracking feature. It is very well built. My team is able to switch between tasks easily with its time tracking app. The time report feature helps us to do invoicing, general time tracking, etc.

Cons

I don't like how I can't set and filter tasks based on the tasks status. For example - tasks can have status such as "to do", "in progress", "revise", and "complete".

Response from Paymo

Replied August 2018

Hi Yvette, This is now possible in the new Home area.

September 2016

Kelsey from KOVUS

September 2016

The Best Time Tracking Software Available

We have a unique company that has to track our time very diligently. Paymo is the first all-inclusive tracking software we have found that works for us. Before, it took us three custom spreadsheets, two software applications and a lot of time to dump all of the data into yet another software application, to keep track of all of our times properly for all of our various client projects. I love that they also have an expense and invoice feature, as well as a quick start-and-stop stopwatch. We've tried several of the others that claim to be able to handle what we do, but they've fallen short every time. Paymo hasn't and we've been using them for several months. What I love most are the super easy to create and simple look of the reports you can create. They even have a link to send the report to the client, which is so useful for us when customers are curious about their bill. I can say this software is great for teams as big as ten employees (could be more, but I can't attest to that as we are a small company). We currently have 20 clients and several internal projects, and it handles all of them seamlessly. We can assign and set hours to our employees and color code each project so you can quickly see what has been taking the most amount of everyone's time.

January 2016

January 2016

Paymo - From a freelance designer's view

I've recently set up as a 3D designer working from home. As an arty designer type I really do not like the whole "paperwork, TAX, invoices, accounting" side of things but I realise that keeping that all in order is imperative to the smooth running of a business. I also need a good, quick and simple project management system. Paymo has fulfilled everything I could have wanted with my business. The less time I'm spending on the admin side of things the more money I can get paid for doing actual design work. I can't think of a better, more simple way of getting things done than Paymo.

Pros

Super simple. Does pretty much everything that you need to get done with the minimum of fuss. The mobile app is an added bonus for logging time whilst not at your computer. The way everything seamlessly ties in from timesheet to invoice, etc. One of the most important things to consider is the online support. With Paymo it is excellent, less than an hour usually and you have a reply - I can't stress the value of this side of things enough.

Cons

I had a slight issue with different clients within one company needing to be billed on the same job (2D work and 3D work). This isn't as simple as I'd hoped BUT there was an easy workaround. Expenses cannot be imported from Shoeboxed - but that's quite a specialist requirement.

What an amazing business/admin/accounting/time tracker/CRM/project management app!

SO much time saved, I got so many insights, my time is invoiced, my payments are being tracked, my life's got easier and my business more organized.

Pros

- Being able to log the time and invoice clients in literally a click for the time logged for their project, for the specified rate based on flat fee, hourly rate by the company, user, or project - Multi currency supported - You can use Payoneer in addition to PayPal as a payment gateway - Customer support is more than awesome, they're amazing! - There's a community forum where we post ideas and improvement suggestions which are actually heard and worked on - Client area supported so that the clients can also see their invoices and time sheets in real time any time :)

Cons

- Recurring tasks are not supported; - No emoticons xD - No sub-tasks - Payoneer button for online payments looks very basic, it doesn't look like a button

Response from Paymo

Replied July 2018

Hi there, We've just added subtasks. You can find them in the Full Task Details view. Hope you'll enjoy them!

Task and project management software.

Pros

Paymo has all the basic feature for a freelancer, and for free. I am really surprised when I saw plan comparison and found it is free for freelancer. A todo list, time tracking and projects management. I am very impressed with the modern and sleek look of. Client management and invoice reporting is a bit complex. Reports help me to pinpoint the wastage time and solve this for my next projects. But the best feature for reporting is, sharing my work reports with a client so they can review and approve my payment soon. The timesheet helps me to create an effective time table for the day.

Cons

The task searching is not accurate, let's say I want to search for all my drone shooting, but it is not possible. I have to select and take a note for every task manually which is time-consuming and defeat the whole purpose.

Response from Paymo

Replied January 2020

Hey there, We're aware of the search problem and have decided to launch a new search experience from scratch that remembers filters and so on. So stay tuned!