All Things Reviews

Jakob

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

A well produced app that works well for most but lacks some of the power user features

Frank

Things shows that power comes with simplicity

Overall, Things has no parallel in the productivity GTD space, because there's no other with a better balance of rich features and ease of use. It's an app that feels like it was created by designers/UX specialists first, and engineers second, whereas a tool like OmniFocus with some nice design to boot, nonetheless comes across as primarily the product of engineers.

Pros

Things is unparalleled in one area: design-empowered usability/simplicity. Productivity tools often compete on feature sets, but Things shows that sticking to a core set of features and evolving their design can yield better results than simply adding more features. While other tools can become a chore to keep up to date, Things is a tool you want to use even after several weeks, because of its simplicity. Of course this doesn't mean it's underpowered or lacking in features. It has most of the important hallmarks of a GTD system, and implements them in a UI that makes them accessible. No more, no less.

Cons

Thing's integration with MacOs has been its biggest shortcoming for me. While notifications work well enough, they're not powerful enough to interact with the app in a way that doesn't require you to actually open up the app. For example, the default Reminders app has a notification, which allows you to not only mark it as complete, but more importantly delay the notification, so that it pops right back up after 1hr or the next day. The Things notification on the other hand forces you to switch to the app and configure the delay with several clicks rather than just the one that it should take were the notifications to be more powerful.

Best of the best (for Apple users).

No complaints about the software, interface or usability. If we eventually have to do a paid upgrade to Things 4, we'd do so in a heartbeat. Great for personal and professional task management.

Pros

I've tried literally 10-15 todo list/productivity style apps, and Things 3 is by far the most intuitive. I also like the one-time payment option as opposed to a monthly subscription. By far the most thorough in terms of keyboard shortcuts, flexibility and just overall product design. One thing I really like is that it can pull in your calendar entries into your "Today" view to give you appointments alongside your todos. This is a fantastic feature that most todo apps do not implement. Better than Todoist, Wunderlist, Asana, Google Tasks. I love the tagging - this fits my specific needs perfectly, and the Getting Things Done methodology no matter how that works in your own workflow.

Cons

I didn't like having to pay twice for the software. Meaning, you have to pay a separate license fee for each device. I paid for a desktop license and an iPhone license. I still prefer this to a monthly fee indefinitely, but there are plenty of companies offering one license for all devices so this was disappointing. That being said, you get what you pay for, and we are still glad we did. I have no issues with the software itself, only the pricing and lack of clarity around it.

Reasons for choosing Things

Calendar integration gives a fuller picture of my daily tasks as it includes an meetings/appointment I need to work today's todos around. Perfect!

Not for me

I am always trying to stay organize and Things ended up being more work than I had hoped for,

Pros

I like the concept as I juggle a number of projects at once and need to stay organized. The search functions are powerful. The design is attractive an smart

Cons

At the end of the day I found Things to be cost prohibitive for what it does and I found other options that were better for me.

Craig

Things

Pros

This is the best piece of software I have ever bought and I’m a heavy duty user in my job and in daily life. Things has replaced the need to use expensive project management software by providing a very simple interface with no overloading of the UI which lets you do everything while not having to go back and forth etc.

Cons

Things isn’t open source and is not free. It’s expensive when you consider 4/5x point of access but for a lifetime license it’s ok.

Reasons for switching to Things

In search of something more simple on desktop and in app format.

Jus

Industry: Law Practice

December 2021

The best tool for individual task management

It has been a decent change from Google Calendar but is not quite there. I really miss Astrid.

Pros

The visual design of things is clear and intuitive. It is easy to add and organize tasks including organizing tasks into projects/areas e.g. personal vice work. It works well with my calendar so that I can see my calendar events in things.

Cons

Primarily that I am unable to see my Things tasks in my calendar. I would very much prefer to work within my calendar including to add and remove tasks and mark tasks as complete in my calendar. Google Calendar gets close but the lack of repeat tasks and the lack of demarcation b/w tasks and reminders makes Google difficult to stay on top of.

Reasons for switching to Things

Due to a lack of demarcation within and awkwardness of Google products i.e. calendar, tasks, reminders.

Trudy

Best ever to-do list and more

I am so much more organised. I don't forget 'things' I have to do. I created my first project recently and its keeping me on track.

Pros

I love how Things keeps me on track and is Synced to all my devices.

Cons

It would be good to be able to collaborate with one other person.

Reasons for choosing Things

More user friendly.

Reasons for switching to Things

I don't need collaborating with other people very often.

Great Personal Task Manager

For years, I used another task manager that was much harder to use. The complexity of the other system resulted in me not regularly utilizing the tool. Things give me just the right amount of customization and presents an easy intuitive user interface.

Pros

I appreciate the clean design and the fact that it is very powerful yet easy to learn and use. It is also synchronized across all my devices which allows me access wherever I go.

Cons

It is a little on the pricey side especially if you want to use it across your Mac, iPhone and iPad. However, I will say that it is worth the money.

- Things easier to use - Nozbe subscription rates were high and increasing

Davide

Industry: Publishing

August 2022

The best task management software for easy to medium complexity setups

It’s my favourite software and couldn’t think about doing without it. It has its limitations, but for my use case the pros greatly surpass the cons, that can be worked around somehow. One thing to keep in mind though is that it’s a strictly individual app, it has no functions for collaboration or sharing anything, and moreover works only on Apple devices

Pros

Things is very easy to understand and use, and has a very beautiful and clean interface that’s a pleasure to see. It is simple on the surface but can accommodate a bit more complex setups.

Cons

It’s good for managing single tasks to remind or simple projects, but for more complex things it shows it’s limits. The things I miss the most: setting tasks within a project as parallel or subsequent tasks: now they’re shown all together, even the ones not yet actionable; a web interface, for when I don’t have my devices available for some reason. Also, the ability to put tasks on hold or track that they’ve been delegated to others would be good

Martín

WARNING, highly biased review: I'm a Things die hard fan :)

Being a long time OmniFocus 2 user, at first I was hesitant of switching to Things given the amount of effort, time and money I spent on OF2 already; moreover, I was happy with it (in a general sense) so, again, it took me some time to decide to give Things 3 a fair try. But when I did... boy, oh boy! I already tried other task managers (2DO being the most notable of them) but ultimately stuck with OF. But there was one thing about OF3 that especially put me off: the iOS app. This is, of course, a personal taste, but to me just watching the OS3 iOS interface felt a lot of work by itself. Coming from OF, Things 3 interface feels a visual welcome rest. It's neat, it's easy on the eyes, it displays all the data that you need and the navigation both on Mac and iOS is just fantastic; the more I used Things, the more it grew on me, and the less I was convinced to upgrade to OF3. But nonetheless switching to Things 3 was the best decision I could make. I can understand why a good chunk of longtime OF users was already migrating to Things (there are some good blog posts about that). I can say that Things is an integral part of my life, and I'm not exaggerating a bit here. I use it to organize my daily chores as well as personal and work stuff. It keeps me focused and prevents me from missing a thing. I can safely say that my productivity reached a whole different level by using Things 3, a boost of several magnitudes actually.

Pros

- Both Mac and iOS apps are *EXQUISITE* - Buttery-smooth, impeccable performance - Down-to-earth way to organize your tasks - Beautiful GUI - Wealth of features - Sync between different clients works flawlessly - Cool API - Great integration with other apps (I use it mainly with DEVONthink Pro) - Very nice quick-entry box at the reach of a shortcut

Cons

- I miss not having a public space to discuss the app like other great applications have; I believe that a Discussion forum would add lots of value to the app by enabling its community interaction

Travis

Great for getting things done

Great overall experience. It's part of my daily workflow and keeps bills paid, projects on task, and deadlines hit. It fits in great with my other project management workflows to keep my individual tasks more organized, and I love having a simplified to-do list right on my phone. Desktop version can be a little pricier, but well worth it.

Pros

I love how simple yet robust it is. I can keep a simple to do list, but then I can also set a schedule for some tasks, repeating tasks, set deadlines, have sub-items, organize into specific projects or areas of focus, and I love that I can set it up with iOS's notifications so if I can't add something by hand, I can tell Siri to set a notification and Things will pull it in for me to look at later. Things helps give me a good overview of things that are coming up and what I need to focus on for the day. One of the best things though, is that you can more-or-less customize it to fit what works best for your workflow.

Cons

If anything, the Someday and Anytime groups. But I think that's mostly because I haven't quite figured out how it works best for me. They have a very good explainer and tutorial on their website though. I do wish there were some more robust deadline features though, and specific iOS alarms for individual tasks, or for them to bring back a daily reminder to look at your to-do list. But I've been using it for almost 10 years now, and I've gotten a really good habit of checking it throughout the day.

A way to ensure you know what Things need your attention

Name a task management app: probably I have used it. I have tried so many, but have stuck with Things for years now. One of the secrets is that there are less bells and whistles, less leavers to play around with. This means, I take less time to make the task list look perfect, and more time on actually doing the work. The other reason is that tasks I do not complete today, just get carried over to tomorrow. This means there is not a backlog, no past days to navigate back to. There is simply 'today' which includes all the tasks I purposefully added today's date to (plus the ones carried over from yesterday). There are two types of dates: deadlines and reminders. With tasks that have a deadline, I will usually set a reminder a couple of days in advance. Each day I try to take a couple of minutes to look at 'today' and move out anything that I give up on doing or want to postpone. That way I know what is in 'today' is truly things I want to tackle that day, if I am able. If not, I know the task will show up tomorrow again and did not disappear into the abyss of digital nirvana.

Pros

It is so easy to use! I have tried lots of task managers and this one works best for me, mainly because of how little there is to 'play around' with. I love the design and the integration of apps on the Mac, iPhone and iPad are great.

Cons

There are a few small things that could be changed to increase its usefulness, but most of them are 'nice to have' and don't touch on core functionality. Sequential tasks (making task 2 show up once task 1 is completed) are the most obvious missing feature. Prices are high (especially compared to some free, yet still high quality offers) but comparable to their main competitors (OmniFocus, Todoist)

Good software with a few concerns

Helps me manage my todo tasks though there are other high quality players in the same arena today

Pros

- Beautiful UI - System wide shortcut to capture tasks - Syncs with the iPhone, Mac and the iPad - Fast and flexible. For e.g.,I could choose not to do GTD and run it like a traditional todo list - They finally seem to be building some integrations into the application

Cons

- Very expensive. Needs a separate purchase for iOS - Devs can disappear. They did after they released the previous version. Took an incredibly long time to develop Things 3. I was questioning whether I had to move to a different todo list - Not as feature rich as one would expect given the incredulous pricing. For e.g., cannot use with teams, no note taking - Needs a dark mode

Mike

The list App of all list Apps!

Things has really allowed me to better map out both immediate tasks while also planning long term goals, charting progress and steps along the way. It's my calendar, diary, to do list and notepad all rolled into one. It's EVERYTHING.

Pros

I've bounced around from one productivity App to the next, but Things is the first and only one I've stuck with. I absolutely love the way it integrates my "To Do" lists on into my calendar on all my devices and allows me to segment tasks and projects based upon importance and immediacy. It's user interface is incredibly clean, simple and user-friendly, creating a space where even my scattered monkey mind can create a semblance of organization.

Cons

I wasn't a huge fan of having to pay additional cash money to allow the integration between both my phone and computer, but in the end, it was worth it. I'd also like it if there were more options for automated alerts that would remind me to check out my lists during the course of the day.

Makes you want to complete your tasks just so you can use it

Things makes my team more efficient and organised. We know what to do and what are the next steps to achieve our goals for the day.

Pros

- it the best task management software on the planet - the interactions and the animations make you want to check off your list every single time you look at it - well designed: simple, yet very powerful - easy to organise your lists and to see your day ahead

Cons

- The cost - it's expensive, especially if you use it on multiple devices - Doesn't have location-based reminders on mobile (the bit that keeps me from using it with 100% of my tasks)

Ishan

Great GTD Task Manager, Perfect Balance Between Usability and Features

It makes tasks easy to manage for me, does not slow me down. It's pretty customizable as well.

Pros

Things is one of the few softwares that can be described as perfect. It's perfectly balanced when it comes to features and usability and doesn't reinvent the wheel. It has everything you'd want as a power use, from a system wide to-do creation box to integration with other apps.

Cons

Tagging system could be a bit better. Also, GTD functionality could use dependent tasks where one can start only after the previous one finishes. Apart from these, the app is great.

Robbie

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Easiest Way to get your life organised & not forget anything.

Works well, syncs well, makes my life a lot easier.

Pros

The look and feel of the app is great, on all platforms. I use Mac OS, IOS and IpadOS. It syncs easily between all devices, and I love how I can have todo lists for different projects and and different parts of my life, all on in one place.

Cons

It is pretty expensive to buy the software for each device I use, Mac, iPad, and iPhone. It's an expensive buy for each device. Expected at least iPad and iPhone to be once price for both platforms.

Jessica