What are Things users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Things software through verified user reviews

• icon"It is such a beautiful, well thought out product, that is worth every single penny and then some."
  • icon"I love that it integrates with my calendar. I love that it has an AppleWatch app."
  • icon"I love that I can use it with Siri. I love how projects are organized so I can covert a to-do into a project at anytime."
  • icon"I think I am still struck by some sticker shock with this app. Not only do you pay for the desktop version, but also separately for iPhone and iPad versions."
  • icon"I often tend to just ignore incomplete tasks and they tend to pile up."
  • icon"A tool that is used to keep track of absolutely all my tasks NEEDS to be available everywhere I go. It is very sad to me that I can no longer use Things for this reason."

Browse all Things Reviews

• Have you used Things and would like to share your experience with others?

Jake

Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

A well produced app that works well for most but lacks some of the power user features

Andrew R

My Digital Brain

Pros

Things makes it easy to take something I'm holding in my physical brain, but it in a trusted system, and forget about it until the time I need to remember it. It interfaces with all my other favorite apps and services (Airmail, DEVONthink) and works seamlessly across my computer and mobile devices.

Cons

I wish it was easier to take action on multiple to-dos at once (e.g. marking them done, changing their due date, etc).

Reasons for switching to Things

Todoist was powerful, but the UI was a little busy and distracting. I loved the clean interface of Things and the way it made me want to enter my to-dos!

Jason

Things is a very well made app, but something useless because not cross platform

Pros

I have loved Things for a very, very long time. It is extremely well designed and when I was fully in the Mac ecosystem it was great. It's very Apple-like design. Easy to use, but powerful underneath. An exquisite way to organize your life.

Cons

Times have changed, and developers generally don't use just one platform. A tool that is used to keep track of absolutely all my tasks NEEDS to be available everywhere I go. It is very sad to me that I can no longer use Things for this reason. They desperately need a web app and ideally a native Windows app.

Reasons for choosing Things

I did not choose things over Notion. Ultimately I am using Notion. While it is not a direct competitor, it is an amazing tool, and one of my favorite applications ever developed. It lets you create your own searchable databases in an extremely intuitive way. In a way, Notion lets you develop apps for your own use. I find it very intuitive and really appreciate the fact that they have native apps for every major platform as well as a web app.

Pedro

December 2021

a super practical to-do app

I love Things, I had used many task managers before and they made making the list of activities a chore, but with how easy it is to do it in things, it really makes it more fun and engaging,

Pros

It might seem like a small thing, but creating tasks quickly is an incredible experience, just hit space to create a new one, and then type the details and hit enter to save, don't need to click anywhere or select from any drop down menu or anything

Cons

I wish it had online collaboration, I love Things for my personal projects and work, but im forced to look for other options for collaborating with others, also its a bit expensive and they charge you for the Mac app, the iOS app and the iPad app separately, that's kind of a bummer, would also like to have recurring tasks

Reasons for choosing Things

Its app based, not browser based, it looks very smooth and its so easy to add tasks that there's no friction between wanting to add a task and adding it, it works even better than one could imagine

Leslie

Disappointed - didn't live up to the hype

It was a good starter point for task management in the world of knowledge work, but I eventually had to progress to a more robust system as my workflow and organizational systems matured. But I 'cut my teeth' in Things and appreciated the syncing between all my devices.

Pros

It's very simple and user-friendly. It would take no time for someone new to the software to get up and running with it. As a basic task manager, it is perfectly adequate. If you want to build your own system from the ground up, this is a good choice.

Cons

It just wasn't feature-rich enough to justify a price point that was comparable to other task management software choices that DO include richer features. For instance, why no cascading tasks/dependencies? I'm a GTD person, and Things just didn't have all the layers needed to execute GTD digitally. I eventually found a competitor that was clearly designed to work for GTD workflows and abandoned Things. Unfortunately, I had already sunk the costs of paying for the desktop, iPad, AND iPhone apps for Things because everyone else I worked with was using it and seemed to love it. I know many who still do, but I just like to build a task system with much more specificity and robustness.

Jus

Industry: Law Practice

December 2021

The best tool for individual task management

It has been a decent change from Google Calendar but is not quite there. I really miss Astrid.

Pros

The visual design of things is clear and intuitive. It is easy to add and organize tasks including organizing tasks into projects/areas e.g. personal vice work. It works well with my calendar so that I can see my calendar events in things.

Cons

Primarily that I am unable to see my Things tasks in my calendar. I would very much prefer to work within my calendar including to add and remove tasks and mark tasks as complete in my calendar. Google Calendar gets close but the lack of repeat tasks and the lack of demarcation b/w tasks and reminders makes Google difficult to stay on top of.

Reasons for switching to Things

Due to a lack of demarcation within and awkwardness of Google products i.e. calendar, tasks, reminders.

Clean, easy to use and useful.

Things is a great app, it is fast, bug-free and easy to use. It syncs quickly across all my devices and has been my favorite way to manage my daily tasks.

Pros

- The UI is very clean and easy to use. - The software is very stable and crashes/issues are rare. - Adding reminders and recurrent tasks is easy and alerts are useful. - Syncs well with Apple watches.

Cons

- My biggest complaint is that it has no format for texts. It would be great to see at least some basic markdown support. I know this is a todo app, and they want to keep it simple, but I believe that being able to format the description/notes on tasks would make it much better and more useful. - I wish there was a way to share tasks with other people, for example if I needed to create a list of things to buy from the supermarket. - Expensive (especially the desktop app), but worth in the long run. I dislike that I had to buy a license for the iPad, another one for my iPhone and one for my Mac, but considering how much I use it, I'm glad I did.

Love it!

I organize my day-to-day and projects with this.

Pros

I love that it integrates with my calendar. I love that it has an AppleWatch app. I love that I can use it with Siri. I love how projects are organized so I can covert a to-do into a project at anytime. I love how simple it is to use.

Cons

I really wish it had collaboration built in. I have several projects I work on in groups and it would be nice to share lists of to-dos with each other and see each other mark them off.

Reasons for choosing Things

It’s so simple to organize and use. Plus it works with my calendar.

Reasons for switching to Things

Todoist focuses too much on deadlines and priority.

Best of the best (for Apple users).

No complaints about the software, interface or usability. If we eventually have to do a paid upgrade to Things 4, we'd do so in a heartbeat. Great for personal and professional task management.

Pros

I've tried literally 10-15 todo list/productivity style apps, and Things 3 is by far the most intuitive. I also like the one-time payment option as opposed to a monthly subscription. By far the most thorough in terms of keyboard shortcuts, flexibility and just overall product design. One thing I really like is that it can pull in your calendar entries into your "Today" view to give you appointments alongside your todos. This is a fantastic feature that most todo apps do not implement. Better than Todoist, Wunderlist, Asana, Google Tasks. I love the tagging - this fits my specific needs perfectly, and the Getting Things Done methodology no matter how that works in your own workflow.

Cons

I didn't like having to pay twice for the software. Meaning, you have to pay a separate license fee for each device. I paid for a desktop license and an iPhone license. I still prefer this to a monthly fee indefinitely, but there are plenty of companies offering one license for all devices so this was disappointing. That being said, you get what you pay for, and we are still glad we did. I have no issues with the software itself, only the pricing and lack of clarity around it.

Reasons for choosing Things

Calendar integration gives a fuller picture of my daily tasks as it includes an meetings/appointment I need to work today's todos around. Perfect!

I Always Return to Things

Since purchasing things a year and a half or so ago I've tried other productivity task managers. Moved my process into Trello, Omnifocus, Agenda, Teamwork.... and while all of those products have excellent features and are great for managing projects and the like, the attempts either by me or by the software to manage daily task lists and project tasks never pans out and I return in a week or two to Things and am reminded how elegant and functional Things is. Great product.

Pros

The user experience is phenomenal. To be able to search for a task or project by simply typing--with no keyboard shortcuts or mousing to a field or clicking on an icon--is brilliant. Additionally, I love that I can just hit a quick ctrl-spacebar at any time regardless of the program I'm in when I'm on desktop and I can quick enter a task and return and flesh it out later on. Great during meetings. The app for ios is awesome, as well.

Cons

I truly wish that I could drop files into a task. However, there's a fine line between where something is simple and effective vs taking on too much and risk becoming a bloated piece of software with too many options. I argue with myself that the line with Things is with this desire for it being able to store a file. Evernote, Sharefile, Box, and several other products our org has license to can all serve this purpose. But still, when I'm aiming for maximum efficiency (and when I don't want to create some zap or other chain to make such a thing work), it's the one thing I like least. Small thing though. Small small thing.

Reasons for choosing Things

As stated above, I've tried the others and am always sucked back in by Things. It feels good to use it.

Reasons for switching to Things

Overwhelmed with features of Omnifocus when needing to use it frequently and quickly.

Ben-Anthony

Brilliant for managing your life

Pros

I love how there are no differences no matter what platform I use, whether it be desktop or mobile. It’s reliable, organised and easy to use

Cons

I don’t like the lack of team management features

The pricing, UI and UX

Reasons for switching to Things

The pricing for Monday.com made it too expensive for daily task management and the mobile app is almost unusable compared to the desktop application

Luis

Industry: Dairy

Things stores things

Pros

Many features, like integrated calendar, ability to create widgets, logbook, todo list etc

Cons

Haven't run into many cons. Works great. Has never crashed.

A way to ensure you know what Things need your attention

Name a task management app: probably I have used it. I have tried so many, but have stuck with Things for years now. One of the secrets is that there are less bells and whistles, less leavers to play around with. This means, I take less time to make the task list look perfect, and more time on actually doing the work. The other reason is that tasks I do not complete today, just get carried over to tomorrow. This means there is not a backlog, no past days to navigate back to. There is simply 'today' which includes all the tasks I purposefully added today's date to (plus the ones carried over from yesterday). There are two types of dates: deadlines and reminders. With tasks that have a deadline, I will usually set a reminder a couple of days in advance. Each day I try to take a couple of minutes to look at 'today' and move out anything that I give up on doing or want to postpone. That way I know what is in 'today' is truly things I want to tackle that day, if I am able. If not, I know the task will show up tomorrow again and did not disappear into the abyss of digital nirvana.

Pros

It is so easy to use! I have tried lots of task managers and this one works best for me, mainly because of how little there is to 'play around' with. I love the design and the integration of apps on the Mac, iPhone and iPad are great.

Cons

There are a few small things that could be changed to increase its usefulness, but most of them are 'nice to have' and don't touch on core functionality. Sequential tasks (making task 2 show up once task 1 is completed) are the most obvious missing feature. Prices are high (especially compared to some free, yet still high quality offers) but comparable to their main competitors (OmniFocus, Todoist)

Ron

Things, a Very Valid Way to Get "Things" Done

I am someone who using my email inbox as the list of "action items" for my day. Things sitting in there are either going to be replied to by end of day, acted on or filtered into Things via a specific link URL for me to act on at a later day / week. The deep linking is super nice as I can hit a quick keystroke, have the email link into Things and then I can categorize it, set dates and also add tags or list items to it. This keeps my inbox clean and easy to manage. I have this on Mac, iPhone and iPad, which is an expensive investment, but its a very polished piece of software. I use this for school and work only and use something else for Personal (more on why in a moment) When I triage my tasks at the start of the day, it's easy to prioritize, and drag things around to shift priority throughout the day or as things change. Also the "Evening" grouping on a "Today" task makes it easy for me to separate my Masters program tasks from work while still having an eye on both and not having them blend together. The one short coming is why I cannot use it for personal. My wife and I both have shared tasks, and this does not share tasks. My wife can sign into this, but then she is subject to all my stuff, which she does not need, and there is no way to turn off lists per device or hide various items. So instead we use 2Do right now which does allow a more fluid shared system. If Things added shared lists, this would be a complete solution for personal/work shared lists.

Pros

The repeating tasks are nice and being able to reschedule them is a plus. Baked in functionality with platforms like Spark make it easy to add an Email as a task, and then click on it in Things later and have the email automatically load right where you need it. Makes it easy for taking an email out of my inbox and putting it somewhere for later.

Cons

Lack of shared lists - this software is good for the individual to get things done throughout their day and keep things separated and organized and know when things are due, however it does not allow for sharing of specific lists or tasks with someone else. Apple Reminders and the abandoned software 2Do offer this functionality standard. So if it's a shared task, you need to look elsewhere.

Frank

Things shows that power comes with simplicity

Overall, Things has no parallel in the productivity GTD space, because there's no other with a better balance of rich features and ease of use. It's an app that feels like it was created by designers/UX specialists first, and engineers second, whereas a tool like OmniFocus with some nice design to boot, nonetheless comes across as primarily the product of engineers.

Pros

Things is unparalleled in one area: design-empowered usability/simplicity. Productivity tools often compete on feature sets, but Things shows that sticking to a core set of features and evolving their design can yield better results than simply adding more features. While other tools can become a chore to keep up to date, Things is a tool you want to use even after several weeks, because of its simplicity. Of course this doesn't mean it's underpowered or lacking in features. It has most of the important hallmarks of a GTD system, and implements them in a UI that makes them accessible. No more, no less.

Cons

Thing's integration with MacOs has been its biggest shortcoming for me. While notifications work well enough, they're not powerful enough to interact with the app in a way that doesn't require you to actually open up the app. For example, the default Reminders app has a notification, which allows you to not only mark it as complete, but more importantly delay the notification, so that it pops right back up after 1hr or the next day. The Things notification on the other hand forces you to switch to the app and configure the delay with several clicks rather than just the one that it should take were the notifications to be more powerful.

Martín

WARNING, highly biased review: I'm a Things die hard fan :)

Being a long time OmniFocus 2 user, at first I was hesitant of switching to Things given the amount of effort, time and money I spent on OF2 already; moreover, I was happy with it (in a general sense) so, again, it took me some time to decide to give Things 3 a fair try. But when I did... boy, oh boy! I already tried other task managers (2DO being the most notable of them) but ultimately stuck with OF. But there was one thing about OF3 that especially put me off: the iOS app. This is, of course, a personal taste, but to me just watching the OS3 iOS interface felt a lot of work by itself. Coming from OF, Things 3 interface feels a visual welcome rest. It's neat, it's easy on the eyes, it displays all the data that you need and the navigation both on Mac and iOS is just fantastic; the more I used Things, the more it grew on me, and the less I was convinced to upgrade to OF3. But nonetheless switching to Things 3 was the best decision I could make. I can understand why a good chunk of longtime OF users was already migrating to Things (there are some good blog posts about that). I can say that Things is an integral part of my life, and I'm not exaggerating a bit here. I use it to organize my daily chores as well as personal and work stuff. It keeps me focused and prevents me from missing a thing. I can safely say that my productivity reached a whole different level by using Things 3, a boost of several magnitudes actually.

Pros

- Both Mac and iOS apps are *EXQUISITE* - Buttery-smooth, impeccable performance - Down-to-earth way to organize your tasks - Beautiful GUI - Wealth of features - Sync between different clients works flawlessly - Cool API - Great integration with other apps (I use it mainly with DEVONthink Pro) - Very nice quick-entry box at the reach of a shortcut

Cons

- I miss not having a public space to discuss the app like other great applications have; I believe that a Discussion forum would add lots of value to the app by enabling its community interaction

Travis

Great for getting things done

Great overall experience. It's part of my daily workflow and keeps bills paid, projects on task, and deadlines hit. It fits in great with my other project management workflows to keep my individual tasks more organized, and I love having a simplified to-do list right on my phone. Desktop version can be a little pricier, but well worth it.

Pros

I love how simple yet robust it is. I can keep a simple to do list, but then I can also set a schedule for some tasks, repeating tasks, set deadlines, have sub-items, organize into specific projects or areas of focus, and I love that I can set it up with iOS's notifications so if I can't add something by hand, I can tell Siri to set a notification and Things will pull it in for me to look at later. Things helps give me a good overview of things that are coming up and what I need to focus on for the day. One of the best things though, is that you can more-or-less customize it to fit what works best for your workflow.

Cons

If anything, the Someday and Anytime groups. But I think that's mostly because I haven't quite figured out how it works best for me. They have a very good explainer and tutorial on their website though. I do wish there were some more robust deadline features though, and specific iOS alarms for individual tasks, or for them to bring back a daily reminder to look at your to-do list. But I've been using it for almost 10 years now, and I've gotten a really good habit of checking it throughout the day.

Nate

Fantastic task manager that keeps getting better.

Increased productivity, and the freedom of not feeling like I have to remember every little thing that needs to get done.

Pros

I love the clean, modern design aesthetic and usability of the software. I also love that despite this visual simplicity, there is a lot of power and flexibility under the hood. The develop resisted adding notifications (i.e., task alarms) for a long time, which was always my main complaint, so I was relieve when they added this in their most recent overhaul. My other favorite feature is the Things Helper (I use a Mac), which allows me to add a new task using a keyboard shortcut while on the fly without even having to switch to the Things window. It's also context aware, so if I do this while looking at an email, for instance, it will automatically add a direct link to that email in my task. That is very, very cool in my books. Their companion apps for iPhone and iPad are also fantastic, and very much worth the purchase.

Cons

I use to have a list of minor pain points with this software, but honestly they've all been addressed in this latest release. Kudos to the developers.

Suzillah

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Ios task manager

Pros

Things is a very excellent task manager that is very well build for managing task. It is light and run fast on my iPhone without any problem. I can create a task from a single click and it shown hos simple it is to operate the software. The notification can be set if you constantly reminding you for you pending task.

Cons

Things that i dislike with this application is, it is exclusive only on ios platform and can be access from other operating system like android or windows. The price for the software is also quite steep and the trial period is too short for user to evaluate it before make a purchase.

Greg

Worth the money

It allows me to accomplish more and be fully present in the moment with people because I know my lists are safe and synced and accessible.

Pros

I love things because it functions like a 2nd brain. I’m able to get tasks out of my head into a system I’ve come to trust. I use it on my iPhone and my Mac. It’s elegant and pretty to look at and it has the features I need to manage projects and next actions.

Cons

There are a few features I wish things had. I’d like more customization for my views. I’d like smart searches to be saved. Minor things.

Reasons for switching to Things

It’s simpler and less fiddly

Craig

Things

Pros

This is the best piece of software I have ever bought and I’m a heavy duty user in my job and in daily life. Things has replaced the need to use expensive project management software by providing a very simple interface with no overloading of the UI which lets you do everything while not having to go back and forth etc.

Cons

Things isn’t open source and is not free. It’s expensive when you consider 4/5x point of access but for a lifetime license it’s ok.

Reasons for switching to Things

In search of something more simple on desktop and in app format.

Trudy

Best ever to-do list and more

I am so much more organised. I don't forget 'things' I have to do. I created my first project recently and its keeping me on track.

Pros

I love how Things keeps me on track and is Synced to all my devices.

Cons

It would be good to be able to collaborate with one other person.

More user friendly.

Reasons for switching to Things

I don't need collaborating with other people very often.

Ryan

Finally, a to-do list that works for me.

Pros

Less is more. That's really the crux of the matter with Things. Since it received a massive redesign and reconceptualization last year, it does... less? That's hard to say... but honestly I don't care, because what it does, it does amazingly well. It's incredibly easy to enter to-do items from anywhere on your desktop or iPhone (there's also an iPad version which I haven't purchased). Instant syncing across your devices. Custom reminders. A gorgeous, clean design that makes me want to use it. The intro project (Meet Things Mac, which is designed to help you get to know all the features of Things quickly) was perfectly conceived, and I was up and running inside of 2 minutes. (Compare that with some of the more complex To-Do software like OmniFocus -- which I also purchased once and never used much -- and you'll understand the value of this.) My life has never been so organized.

Cons

* I would love the ability to ATTACH (and not just link to) documents, photos, etc. * Siri integration could be better. * It's kind of expensive+ for the desktop and iPhone versions of the software -- but still, that's a decent chunk of change.

Zac

Great task managment app

It’s a great way to track tasks and deadlines. I use it everyday.

Pros

I’ve tried several task management apps and I’ve liked Things the best. I like it for a couple of reasons. One is how simple it is to add to my inbox. Either using Siri or the app, it’s super quick and easy. I like that it connects to my calendar so I can see calendar events in the same place as my tasks. I like that creating and organizing projects is super simple. I like repeating events, adding reminders, adding deadlines, etc. Overall it’s got some really great features.

Cons

My number one complaint about Things is the lack of ability to attach documents to tasks. There are several times where it would be nice to add an image, or a PDF to a task but this isn’t allowed. You can attach links to tasks (that link to these items) but if the link ever breaks, it’s useless. Also, the emailing of tasks to my inbox is still a bit clunky. I usually end up just deleting the emailed version and re-entering it.

Albert

Excellent ToDo List Organizer Works Great for Projects Too

Pros

My favorite features of the app include: • keyboard shortcut for a quick entry box to capture a new to do no matter what I'm doing on my computer • keyboard shortcut for a quick entry box that captures whatever I've highlighted on my computer and pastes it as a new to do • integration with Apple Reminders and calendar to import reminders to Things. This is extra useful because I use SIRI to capture to do items all the time and they automatically show up in Things inbox for processing. • organizing to do items into projects and be able to assign headers within the list to group items • tags for quick filtering I also use the mobile app, which makes reviewing and adding on-the-go easy, but I mainly work with Things on my computer for major planning

Cons

I use Things daily and I honestly don't have any criticisms. I only hope the developers don't start adding features which dilutes the amazing functionality and ease it has now.

4.86/5 out of 114 reviews