• Pros

• "The app design is clean and easy to use. Reports are great, I can check how time is spent throughout the day."

• "Great value for money, easy to work with, does its job well"

• "What I like the most about this is that is it super easy to use! For straight forward time tracking, it works great. You can break down your time by clients, projects, etc. "

• Cons

• "Not a huge complaint, but occasionally takes some time to sync."

• "The only caveat I would say is that you need to think about how you want to break your projects into tasks and groupings in order to get the most out of your reports. But that is easily overcome. "

• "As others have stated before, the reporting could use a little fine tuning, however it is more than adequate for the minimal cost of the software."

Browse Toggl Reviews

Narendra from SprintCube

Awesome time tracking app!

I am using Toggl since 2017. And everyone at SprintCube is using Toggl for tracking their time. This helps me to focus on important things instead of micromanaging. We use it for all our activities like meetings, development, calls, and what not. Also, this data helps us to negotiate with clients!! We can also have different reports which help us to identify the areas where and how much our time is invested. Overall, this app is awesome and helps us to be more productive!

Pros

Toggl is a full-featured time tracking application. - It is very simple to use. - It provides features like idle time detection, tracking reminder. - The app is available for all the platforms like desktop, mobile, and web. You can even integrate into the Chrome browser to easily track time on any third-party application like BitBucket, GitLab, Jira, etc. - Powerful reports with export option. You can filter the time entries by project, client or user. - An option to create different workspaces which help to be more organized. - You can create a client, their projects and also assign a team to track everyone's time. - An option to assign tags to time entries. This helps to filter reports. - Everything is synced in the cloud, so we can use it from anywhere. Also, we don't have to worry about data backup. - The paid version has more advanced features, but I haven't used them yet as the free version provides most of the features that I need!

Cons

In the free version, it provides all the basic features. But still, I miss the following things. - In reports, the time entries are not grouped by date. - The number of users in a team is just 5. It would be great to have at least 10 users for small agencies which can't afford the paid version.

Lisandro from Plus The Core Inc

Toggl is the best time tracking software

We've been using Toggl in our business for over a year. It's key to track the time it takes to do certain tasks. We didn't know that when we started and we weren't tracking anything. When we found that out, we started tracking our times manually (writing the time of start and the time we ended in Evernote) This activity itself took too much time. But when we discovered Toggl it was productivity-changing! It's essential for our daily activities now. We considered many options like RescueTime and others I don't remember but found Toggl to be the most straightforward/easy to use

Pros

How EASY it is to use the features. I love that it remembers past entries so you don't need to retype any frequent activities. Also, the reports are really detailed. And I really appreciate it when I get an email from Toggl because I forgot to stop the timer; really useful!

Cons

The fact that it has not a mobile version of their site. The Toggl app was a total mess since the day I installed even though they tried to fix the issues updating the app several times (and even making a NEW app) but with no results. So when using my phone, I rely on their website to access my Toggl timer and reports but it looks terrible on phones. Also, their reports are not directly accessed via the Toggl desktop program but it opens the website (so when I have no internet access I cannot see it; it would be cool if I could).

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

Toggl looks more easy and intuitive. It doesn't have many robust features but that's what made it the right option for us as what we really wanted was simple: track time and get weekly reports and Toggl is more than capable of doing that.

Managing and saving time

Our team uses the software to track time. It's not mandatory, but we think it helps us to work better and more effectively.

Pros

Tracking and using the time most efficiently is an essential task for any business. And Toggl helps us achieve that. It easily integrates into our daily workflow. Using Pomodoro brakes not only helps at being more effective at what we do but also keeps the team more fit by taking those necessary brakes.

Cons

The dark mode might need a bit for tweaking to make it more eye-pleasing. And it ultra-rare case had a few sync issues.

Sven from BearlyDigital (Einzelunternehmen)

Time tracking that doesn't feel like wasting time

I'm using Toggl daily to track and manage my time.

Pros

It's extremely easy to get going with Toggl. It's also extremely quick to get used to. And in general: Toggl is quick. Entering & categorising tasks & starting and stopping time tracking for any particular activity is super fast & frictionless. It's obvious that Toggl doesn't want you to waste time with their software, they want you to get things done. And that core idea becomes apparent in every interaction with their app. It's minimalist, to the point of seeming spartanic, with no fluffy UI features and no fancy animations. Toggl doesn't need any of that and the developers know it. Perhaps the only selling point more important than its ease of use & no-nonsense UI is the fact that Toggls API can be integrated with almost any other service. It's also extremely easy to write your own scripts & actions for Toggl because their API, much like the App itself, is extremely easy to use.

Cons

While the mobile & web parts of Toggl are well maintained & fit the "frugal" UI design beautifully, the macOS desktop app can seem uninviting and almost "broken" if you don't know what your getting into.

Michael from Midimis LLC

There's no reason to use any other software for your time tracking

I feel like such a freeloader because I've always used the free version of toggl and it has been more than I need for all of my time tracking needs. I started out using it as a freelancer, and it still works at the free level for me even with a couple of team members. I absolutely love Toggl, so the least I can do is leave this review for them.

Pros

I love the simple interface and how it provides the option to discard your inactive time (for those cases where you leave your desk and forget to pause your timer), keep your time as part of your existing time tracking project, or save the time to a new time tracking project.

Cons

I've been using the software for over 5 years. Initially there were some hiccups, but that has all been ironed out now. This is as close as you get to perfect software that does exactly what you want it to do.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

This is one of those no-brainer decisions. There is absolutely no other time tracking software you should use instead of toggl. This is the one you want.

Best Time Tracker, hands down!

My time was slipping away and I didn't know where it was all going. Waiting for files to render means 4-10 minutes of time twiddling my thumbs; then picking up on some other task like replying to emails that I would like to do for the ten minutes. That quickly turns into 40 minutes and then the momentum is gone! I don't know how long Ive been working on what and then all of a sudden its 5pm and its all over! Toggl makes the day seem worth it. When you can accurately track your time you can see where you are slipping up; going over; losing money and it helps get over the pitfalls of a busy and variety filled work day. If you work with multiple clients, have many different types of tasks, or you want to know how much to bill a client (a function I didnt use it for as I work for myself) Toggl is the job. I can think of so many more uses for it that don't apply to me or my business but its robust and really well integrated with loads of other apps.

Pros

Toggl is so easy to use! There is an auto function that gathers info on what you are doing on your computer and you can then review the items in 15 minute chunks; by app, by webpage or by document. Its such an easy way to automatically track your time so you aren't fussing with buttons etc. Really easy and beautiful interface too. The app integrations are great and work with apps like Asana and Trello really well.

Cons

Some small bugs when switching from apps too quickly and the mobile app doesn't have the same amount of functionality as the desktop version (which is to be expected of course) Other than that its pretty solid.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

Toggl had the integration with Asana and has the auto tracking feature

A solid offering in the time-tracking space.

Overall, it does what I need to. I have tried many MANY time tracking softwares over the years, including the time tracker included with FreshBooks - which you would think I'd use as it integrates directly with my billing - but I kept coming back to and using Toggl, despite the few hiccups I encounter.

Pros

The key for me here is its ability to integrate with my project management software: Asana. Beyond that, I think they have a good cross-platform presence with their easy-to-use mobile app and, desktop (Windows) app and web app; I use all 3 regularly but the desktop client the most. Oh yeah, and the Chrome extension.

Cons

Its cross-platform nature also proves to be a challenge (at lest for me). There are 4 places I set it up (see Pros) and sometimes they conflict / send duplicate messages / aren't in sync or don't sync very quickly. If you're on one computer, this isn't an issue but when moving between devices this isn't as seamless as I'd like. Part of this might be attributed to my own connectivity challenges at times and the configuration of each client on every system. The thing is, I don't need notifications from the web app and desktop client and the desktop client on my laptop next to me. But the Chrome extension is required to sync with Asana and I prefer to use the desktop client when, well, I'm at my desktop. So... short of going in and honing which notifications show where, it remains an issue. I have done this, yet I tend to format my system a few times a year and having no way to "remember" these settings becomes a pain. I also spend more time than I'd like correcting tags, and making sure tasks are categorized properly. There's an odd bug in the Asana integration that forces me to use a mouse to add tags rather than keeping my hands on my keyboard. A small nitpick but it does mess with my flow.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

I was primarily comparing what integrations mattered to me most as well as if there was / what was accessible with the free plan should I decide not to pay.

Anthony from MaximuM Comics

The perfect time tracker

Pros

The ease of ability in creating projects, clients, and tags, puts Toggl leaps and bound above similar products on the market. I now use it for all of my professional (both my 9-to-5 and my freelance gigs) and academic projects.

Cons

Nothing. Everything about Toggl is incredible.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

The tracking function was much more flexible and intuitive than the Freshbooks tracker.

Aye Aye from Freelancer

Very Good Time Tracking Tool on the Cloud

Pros

I can track my working time with Toggl Chrome plugin very reliably. Pomodoro feature is also very useful. I have a second Toggl account for one of my jobs, which requires me to report working time in a different timezone. Toggl makes it very easy to do it.

Cons

Toggl Android app features are a bit limited.

Ryan from MyAfton & Afton Shows

Great time tracking tool!

Pros

I used this for myself and all of my employees at Afton Tickets [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and for my other companies [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] because it helps everyone track what they are working on and groups together into graphs so we can all see where time is going. It helps identify key areas to spend more or less time on.

Cons

Nothing this is now the product all of my companies use.

Lindsay from RecordedWord, Inc.

We haven't considered changing tools since the beginning!

We have employees that use the Toggl Chrome extension and others using the desktop version. We also have it on our mobile devices. We run reports for payroll and we run reports to see how much time we spend doing a, b or c, and therefore, we are able to see what profit or loss we accumulated on a specific project, based on our original quote. It's not too complex nor too simple to meet our needs.

Pros

Toggl allows an employer to see all employees' details in one "team" location. The reports are wonderful. Toggl is easy to use. It connects well with other tools like Asana. Very few (if any) glitches/bugs on the important things. Aesthetically clean and easy to navigate. Updates quickly. I receive a weekly report of hours worked, classified by time spent per project. Great tagging system. Allows you to list your clients and projects so that everything stays organized. You can also add a description for any entry. Can easily pick up where you left off without having to re-enter the details of what you're working on. Great searching feature that allows you to see all work done in a time period, by group of employees, with certain key word or with one or multiple tags.

Cons

It would be nice if you could customize the reports more. For example, I would like to print a PDF of a report showing all time entries but not showing who was the user for each entry. There have also been some features that I've struggled to figure out how to navigate or turn off and on. For example, Toggl started creating a new entry every time I paused and resumed instead of resuming the same entry. Once resolved, it has worked great, but it took me a while to figure out what setting was causing the issue.

Nathan from HMB Professional Engineers, Inc.

Industry: Civil Engineering

Super simple clean time tracking software, though recent changes make it less useful

It's the best cloud based time tracking option out there, period.

Pros

I love that Toggl is quick to set up new projects and get to work. It shouldn't be a big deal to start tracking your time, because it's such a minimalistic task, but a lot of time trackers make it a big thing to start a project. I also like that it's cloud based, so no matter which office I'm working from, it's not a big deal. I like that it takes time entries in various formats (like I can type in 1h, or 60:00, or 1:00 and it understands them all), and I like that it's painless to switch projects (which I do every time a co-worker comes to ask me a question).

Cons

I don't like the recent changes that don't let you see your history without generating a report. I also wish it integrated with Google Calendar/Outlook and would automatically import meetings/scheduled events and tag them with the correct project (or ask me if they ought to be tagged). I also don't like that it runs until you turn it off, without reminders or updates - like it'll run 8 hours and send me a reminder, but if I ignore that single note, it stops. I would like it to send multiple updates, or have the ability to cut off, and to send me a notification/alert to start it again the next morning, because sometimes I'll forget and come back two days later to find 48 hours tracked to a single project.

Laura from Dancing with Ease

When I get this app set up, I'll be able to track multiple projects!

Better organization of workflow in my business and clearer understanding of where I'm making money and losing money!

Pros

Ability to track multiple activities - my time spent on marketing my biz, billable time with clients, research hours, learning time, and if I want to track personal time I can. I want to do more with less and tracking hours for billing uses lots of time. This was recommended to me as a time saving organizational tool. The free version is fairly robust (good details on their website https://toggl.com/feature-list/) and the help files are good. I'm a solopreneur, have started with the free version. It allows Up to 5 team members, Unlimited Projects, Reliable reporting plus 26 other features. The Starter version is isn't a huge expense and has 41 features compared to 29 features in the free version. The Billable Rates and Rounding in Reports, and Save Reports for easy access are the two features that will be most time-saving for me. Since I'm planning to scale up, it would be useful to track subcontractors' time working on specific projects.

Cons

The app will track lots of different things so it is kind of complicated to set up. I first tried to set Toggl up on my phone as I will be tracking most of my hours on my phone. This wasn't 100% successful as my phone is small, and typing and reading details is a bit tricky. I decided to set it up on my computer then track time there and on my phone depending on where I'm working. I wanted to set up as accurately as possible to utilize it well. It's much easier to open new windows for help files and tutorials while on the computer. The free version is very useful and I like seeing all my projects and how my time is spread among them. However, I was disappointed that the feature that would streamline my processes the most - creating billable time entries - requires purchasing a paid plan. (I recognize this is smart marketing for the growth of the business.)

Raitis from Caption

The easiest to use time tracker out there

Go for it if you need to start tracking your time without every beginning of an entry requiring you to type in a load information before the timer starts. Try with patience if you plan to use the browser version and the app simultaneously as the sync is way off. If you only stick to a single device to start and stop, be it the mobile app or browser version - it's all good. P.S. It might be that the desktop app solves this issue, but I'm not overly fond of installing something separately.

Pros

+ I needed something that I can start and edit later to avoid distractions. This does it perfectly. You can start a timer and give it a description and project later (a surprisingly small amount of products had this). + A great set of features even for a free user (report exports, long history). + Handy renaming of more than a single entry.

Cons

- The one and only thing that frustrates me is the awful sync between the desktop and mobile. I have since stopped using the mobile app and keep a tab open on my PC to start and stop when I need it. Not a huge issue for me as time tracking is usually work related.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

It allows you to get to work instead of fiddling with the naming. I.e. has the ability to just start a timer without an obligatory entry of what it is. Just go and type details in later, when the work is done.

Efficent tool for time/project management

This program helped the team to have a realistic understanding of the actual time spend in different activities. This allowed us to plan better our work and projects for the next months. We have also used it to measures the request we receive from external team in order to decide if in the future, we we can manage them internally or not.

Pros

If you don't have a lot of experience in project management or you start managing a task that is outside your daily work, it is very easy to underestimate the amount of time you need to complete it. This can cause your employees to be upset or be frustrated when trying to reach unrealistic deadlines. Toggl is a very simple tool, but help you understand how many time you have dedicated to a task so you will have a better understanding in how your time is allocated in certain activities. This is very useful when showing clients or management how much time and resources was really needed for each project phase. Toggl offers the ability to label projects, create groups and sends reminders when you left your timer running for too long. It also have a reporting sessions that is mainly basic but contains all the important information you might need for simple reports, To start working with the tool is very easy and it requires only a few minutes to create your account and set up.

Cons

My only complaint so far is the trial version allows you to add only 5 team members on your group. It is a pity, because this small limit, does not allow you to understand how powerful this tool is when managing the tasks/times of big teams

Brandon from Self-employed at Zellous Design

Full featured and easy to use.

Toggl makes it extremely easy for me to track time spent on various tasks/projects/clients. After trying Toggl for myself, I finally understand why they're so popular.

Pros

In comparing several time-tracking tools, Toggl ended up being the clear winner. Toggl has an interface that looks nice and is user friendly. When trying to track the time I spend working on a project, it is imperative that the process of the logging the time is as frictionless as possible. Toggl did a great job. Hours was a close tie in terms of the web app experience. Hours looked a little nicer, but was a little too minimalistic. Toggl provided the tools I actually needed. But the Mac app is what really sealed the deal for Toggl. There are times when I forget to stop the timer, and the Mac app allows Toggl to detect idle time and ask me if I want to keep it or discard it. This is absolutely a must-have feature. I should also mention: The chronological view of when and for how long I've worked on projects/clients in a given day: This was also a feature I wanted to have, and luckily Toggle includes in the "Timeline" view.

Cons

There's an awesome feature called Timeline which shows you a graph of what programs your using as you work on different projects... at least I think that's what it does. So far it hasn't populated with any data. It's supposed to pull data from the Mac app if you have "Record Timeline" checked, but it's not. Toggl sent out a nice "Need any help" type email and I took advantage of this to ask about the Timeline issue. However, I haven't received any reply. Hopefully they'll reply eventually... One minor con: In the chronological view (Timeline) you can't click on the timeline to manually input some time. This is nice and easy in Hours. Hours also makes it so easy to know when "now" is. In toggl, the current time isn't indicated. Unfortunate, but not a deal breaker.

Emilie from Freelance

Very handy tool for keeping track of time spent on multiple projects

I love using Toggl to track my time as a freelancer! My clients appreciate that I can give them an exact breakdown of where my time goes, and it helps me maintain focus on my various projects.

Pros

As a freelancer that needs to keep track of my hours spent working for multiple clients and across multiple projects, I LOVE Toggl. I cannot stress enough how much easier this has made it for me to track my time and accurately assess what I'm spending the most time on. I especially love: - Toggl's free plan includes enough basic features that you can get a good feel for the software without having to commit - Ability to break down tasks within projects means helps keep timesheets as specific as possible, which my clients appreciate - Chrome extension is very easy to use, and reminds me to track my time whenever I'm online - Autotracker and idle time features are both extremely helpful for holding me accountable + keeping my hours accurate

Cons

In my opinion, Toggl is the best time-tracking software on the market right now. That being said, if I had to list potential future improvements: - As someone that multitasks / hops around between projects pretty regularly, I wish there was a way to run multiple timers at once or otherwise account for this - Mobile app, while a handy offering, isn't as easy to navigate as the desktop application

Dipin from SIS, Ahmedabad

Best ever time tracking app

Pros

The best part about Toggle is that I can see all my representative detail in one look! The application is basic and direct to utilize and route. We can get to the undertakings by means of work area PC, versatile or any gadget. We can include notes and remarks for every section, subsequently its simple to sort and compose passages. Accessibility highlight is exceptionally hearty, with only a watchword I get every one of the insights about the undertakings. I simply love the manner in which it identifies inert time and tells me if to dispose of it. Base clients like us can utilize the free form, it gives a considerable measure of highlights. You get the opportunity to perceive how well the assignments have advanced on consistent schedule. Indeed, even the essential form has awesome announcing and fare highlights, be it Pdf or word or exceed expectations, no stresses!

Cons

The vast majority of the organizations for the most part incline toward a venture administration framework with a period following module instead of only a period tracker, so if the application would give venture administration as well, it would be simply heavenly! There were circumstances I experienced bugs as I had to go at exchanging between workstations. We can't utilize the device in disconnected mode.

February 2016

Sebastian from Moz

February 2016

Overall an amazing app you must have to TRACK Your Time & also for your people !

I really love this app and I think more people need to have this time tracking application in their toolkit for 2016. I tested a lot of apps like this but Toggl really impressed me not only by the features, performance, design and cost effective but also by the fast responses I got from Toggl Team. They sent to me also some interesting gifts in february 2016 and I really think I will recommend to all of my clients (I already shared it on my twitter and other online social networks as well) I depend on it so much. I can't imagine another week without toggl reports that shows me where my time was spent, if I was effective or not and so much more. It's so important to know your cashflow and there are a lot of tools out there for tracking that, but what are you using for your "timeflow" ??? Toggl cames with a lot of amazing features here like, clean design, amazing suport, performance in place, available for android, windows, in browser, applications and so on... Toggl has been also my #1 go to for recording my time to bill clients. I couldn't even imagine manually writing time down :)) I think that Toggl is indeed extremely helpful in making sure that everyone knows how they are spending at least their work life so they can identify the trends, patterns and repetitive things that consume this precious resource called "time" ! I'm so grateful to have found it! Thank you Toggl for helping me keep my time straight and helping my Business !

Pros

Amazing support Easy to Use Great Performance "sexy" reports Clean Design Having a Clean Dashboard with the important information time-related & more :) Overall, let's face it...is just an App..but an Amazing one you should try it to Increase the quality of your life and Performance of your Business by spending the time in a more efficient & effective way as possible !

Cons

I can't use it without having the Internet On. (will be a great idea to have an option to track the time spent on your laptop and when you have the wiffi available again to sync the time)

Perfect Timekeeping for COnsultants

As an independent management consultant, I need to keep track of the hours I spend working on various projects with multiple clients. Not only does this help me bill appropriately, it also helps the client know exactly where their money is going when they work with me. This is the first program I tried for timekeeping and over two years, I have never felt the need to switch to try or switch to any other program.

Pros

I have used Toggl from the moment I started my consulting business. I love that it has both the "timer" feature as well as the "manual" feature, which is what I use the most. I appreciate how I can have unlimited clients and projects for those clients. The reports I can run from Toggl are perfect: I can run by week, month, or custom time period and by client + all projects, or just by project. I run & download the colorful monthly reports and provide this information to my clients, and they really appreciate the detail. Toggl is easy to use, has great features even in the free version, and does everything I need for it to do.

Cons

I have yet to find anything about Toggle that I don't like. I recommend it to every consultant that I meet who asks "What do you use to keep track of your time?"

Chadsey from LifeSteps World Ministries

Super easy to use

Wonderful, no real complaints so far and making the switch to Toggl has been great. We have converted most of our team to Togggl and are excited to bring in some of the integrations that come with paid plans to be able to eliminate some of the admin duties and close some of the cracks we find in communication from time to time.

Pros

The lack of ads is wonderful! I use the free version and have found Toggl makes things much simpler for me. The reporting is great and the amount of tools offered in the free version is great. I switched from another product and my reporting of where my time is going has never been more detailed and has helped me keep on track. Tracking time is super quick and easy, especially on task that I do week after week, Toggl stores the information and auto-populates so it saves me those few seconds and gets me working faster. I love it. I also love sending in such a detailed and good looking timesheet each period, way better than just a csv boring spreadsheet. I know we are only scratching the surface with what Toggl can do, hopefully as we grow our Toggl use and team will grow too to be able to streamline even more with their integrations.

Cons

The only thing so far that inconveniences me is the inability to export reports on the Android app. I don't know if that is something that is coming to it eventually, or if that is only available with a different level of plan. But I am 80% of the time mobile and need to send in reports on the go, which isn't too much of a problem that I am always with a laptop. But having to go that extra step does cost me a few minutes here and there. Exporting from mobile would be a huge help.

Amanda from Sun Country Highway

Simple, easy time tracking

I've used Toggl for the past few years as a quick and inexpensive way to track my time between multiple projects and report the ratio of time spent between them. The software boasts plenty of features for the base/free version (which is the version I use) along with basic reporting. The design is attractive and minimal while the time-tracking pages are easy to use and view. I would recommend this product to others looking for a basic time tracking software.

Pros

I love the minimal, user-friendly design of this software. Daily time-tracking is easy to complete and view in list-view. I am currently using the free version and really appreciate the reporting tools they provide, even for base users.

Cons

There are a few bugs here and there with Toggl when switching between workspaces, but they haven't deterred me from using the product. When trying to view a report for a workspace it seems that you need to have it set as your primary workspace, there is no way to switch between different workspaces in the reporting tab.

Melissa from Fox & Owl Media

Easiest time tracker you'll ever use

Pros

I like that Toggl is easy to use. Minimal setup required. Create your account and start tracking your time. I also like that the system gives you the ability to add client names, and create different projects under one client "folder". The system sends you handy weekly summaries to show you how many hours you spent on your projects over the previous week. You can generate reports to send to clients, as well as get an overview over the last few months to see how your time was divided amongst projects. Even if you don't bill hourly (I don't), it still helps you determine how long you've taken on a project, so that you can better estimate how long a certain type of project takes you. This way you can bill more accurately and helps to ensure that you're making profit.

Cons

I wish there were more colours to choose from when assigning clients a colour. Once I've used them all once, it becomes more of a challenge to quickly associate clients with colours in my mind. But that's pretty minor. But I think that's a potential improvement for future (albeit a small one).

Mark from Concordia University Portland

Really helpful to see how you're spending your time

I credit our use of Toggl as a primary driver in getting additional resources in our department. We were able to visually prove how much time was spent on entry level tasks by staff who were trained to do much higher level tasks. We used the data collected from Toggl to advocate for an entry level staff person to free time up for others to work on higher level, more big picture work.

Pros

Very easy to set-up and use. You can create projects and group tasks together to get an idea for a given week how much time you spent in meetings, on a project, or working on specific tasks. It allowed me to advocate for myself and my team for additional resources as we were able to prove how much time we spent on a weekly basis doing tasks that could be delegated or improved. The ability to provide my leadership team a visual representation of my time and my staffs time was invaluable during budgeting and resource allocation time. You were able to manually enter time if you forgot to start your clock or end the clock. Toggl has countless integrations so you're always able to start and stop time and accurately record your time from any device, anywhere.

Cons

No major issues to report. Obviously, it's incumbent upon the user to record their time accurately. Overall, the experience was tremendous and I have not complaints.

Toggl was a great way to track our time, until we found something better

It was very easy to get staff up and running and trained on how you use the application. We liked the visual indicators to differentiate between projects, and the various views to see daily and weekly progress. We definitely improved our tracking, and therefore our billing, and the ability to quickly and easily switch to different projects meant there was little to no downtime for our staff.

Pros

Toggl was a great find when we started realizing we needed to do a better job of tracking time. The best features are the easy to use UI, and a display that shows the user a task by task view of how their day progressed, as well as a consolidated weekly view where you can see a more holistic view of where time was spent. The dropdown project selections are very intuitive and when you forget to stop tracking, it is easy to add manual time.

Cons

A downside to adding manual time is that you have to interrupt your time tracking to do it, unless it was earlier in the day. Ultimately, what made us move away from Toggl is that we realized we were paying for multiple tools that were really good at 1-2 things, and we needed a more complete system. We ended up migrating off of Toggl and a few other applications for a more robust project management system that also had a time tracking module, saving the company quite a bit of money in doing so.

James from Oscar Diggs Digital

Dead Simple Time Tracking

When we get lost in the details and need an objective reality check on where our time is going... Toggle is there to save the day.

Pros

Time tracking shouldn't take a lot of time. It also shouldn't get in the way of what you're trying to do. Toggl doesn't do either - making it the perfect tool if you're looking to stay on top of your day, down to the minute. It's simple to use, allows you track across all your projects and activities and even lets you share reports with others. And it's easy to use. Plus they have an app for any device you can throw at them, which means you have no excuses not to know where you're putting your time and attention.

Cons

The only thing lacking from toggl is a physical button or device integration. There are a few physical time tracking devices out there, but their integrations with Toggl leave a lot to be desired. To be fair though, this isn't Toggl's fault, but rather the maker of the devices - but still... it would be great if Toggle worked closesly with developers using their APIs to ensure that the physical experience of Toggl is just as great as the digital version!

Track time simply and effectively using Toggl

Overall, Toggl has made my life as both an employee and a manager a lot easier. It's really simple to track my time, and it's just as easy to pull reports to see how much time is being spent on specific tasks, specific projects and how people spend their time. I also do some freelancing on the side and use the free version of Toggl for that - it doesn't have as many features as the paid versions but it works just fine for my little side gig. Can't live without it for the office or freelancing!

Pros

Toggl allows you to add multiple projects, which is really helpful. However, my favorite feature is just how EASY it is to change what you're tracking quickly. There is nothing worse than doing lots of small tasks - replying to client emails with one line responses, checking in on someone's project, and having the time tracker take longer than the actual task itself. Changing tasks in Toggl take no more than a few seconds and has saved me a ton of time over the years.

Cons

I find the Chrome button to be pretty buggy and typically just had to use the website for tracking. Not a huge deal at all, but it would be really convenient to be able to use the button 100% of the time.

Rebecca from University of Tokyo

Has enabled me to turn time tracking into a habit!

Has really allowed me to get an objective grasp on how my time (both work and leisure) is split up and helps me work out how to spend my time better. Really recommend!

Pros

-This just makes time-tracking so easy! I had always thought time-tracking was a good idea, but was never able to make a habit out of it. However, this app just makes it really simple to have different timers for different tasks, and the charts and analysis of your time use is really great. - Love that there is an unpaid version and a paid version (paid version gives me peace of mind that the business model is sustainable and so the software will be around for a good while)

Cons

- I think it's a bit difficult for users to understand the utility of this software before they use it. For example, I initially thought 'well, why do I need a devoted app for this? I can just set a timer for each task and jot the times down in a notebook'. I think there needs to be more emphasis on why doing things this way isn't good (it involves much more cognitive fricture and makes it much harder for time-tracking to become a habit), rather than just emphasis on the positive features. - The name seems to be difficult for some people, as the spelling is somewhat unusual. Fine if you're writing it down for someone, but a friend suggested it to me in conversation and it took me a while to find it because I was searching for 'toggle'.

Edina from Reprise Digital Hungary

Time management and life made easy

As the nature of my job title I need to keep a balance between 2 different areas. It helps me keep track on that and also which clients and tasks I spend the most time on. With the help of Toggl I discovered many tasks that could have been done in a shorter period of time with automation (such as reporting).

Pros

Had been using Toggl in the last 2 years to track how much time different tasks, areas and clients take up from my daily time. It's easy to log in tasks and correct them if I forgot to stop the timer or haven't properly described what I was working on. Recently discovered there is a mobile app for Toggl which comes in handy when I run from 1 meeting to another. Different workspaces are also a blessing. This way you can seperate your work life logs and personal ones, or any other. Also if you forgot to stop the timer Toggl will send and alert to your mail or notification about it.

Cons

Would be wonderful to be able to connect Toggl to Google Data Studio for reporting purposes. I haven't upgraded to Premium or Enterprise Plan, so Toggl Insights might cover this issue for those users. Overall was perfectly satisfied with Toggl.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

I tried other products as well, but Toggl had the most user friendly interface of all.

Great Free Version

Pros

Desktop timer window and mobile app in addition to the website. Can make timer window float and see timer numbers in menu bar. Can ask for automatic notifications/reminders based on idle time or time you’re active but not timing. The idle time feature is awesome to prevent forgetting to stop the timer and trying to guess later when I stepped away (it can automatically cut that time for you). Simple layout. Nice dashboard and weekly reports by email. Easy to edit start and end times, tags, etc. Convenient to be able to click the Play icon on any recent task to continue work on that same task with all the same tags, etc.

Cons

Mobile app is very limited compared to website version. For example, I would really like to be able to add and edit clients and projects from the app. Would be nice to get the idle time/reminder notifications on mobile as well. It’s really easy to forget you’re timing if you’re actually using the phone to get work done (whenever Toggl isn’t the app on top).

Christopher from Christopher Hemsworth Art and Design

Satisfying time tracking

As a designer working with clients this helps me create accurate reports but additionally helps me gain better understanding about where my time is spent on different areas of projects, helping me make better time estimates.

Pros

I have been using Toggl for a very long time (perhaps since it's release!) and it is continually being improved upon with each iteration and update. I love how easy it is to use and I especially love the ability to create and view detailed reports as they pertain to client work or projects. Also, as silly as it sounds, I love the simply design and pie charts to show where you spent your time on tasks within a project. Also the fact that you can use the app on your phone and desktop just promotes time tracking easily at your fingertips wherever you are doing your current task.

April from Freelancer

Simple, easy to use time tracker

I use it to keep track of time by certain clients. One client originally requested that I use it and since it was so easy to use, I started using it for other clients and projects.

Pros

Cons

There is not much to say that is negative. If you're looking for a straight forward time tracker to use for yourself or employees, this will work.

Price and ease of use.

Cynthia from Royal LePage Atlantic

Great way to keep my team accountable

Toggl has helped my team stay accountable and helped us to track our daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly measurable to stay on track with our department goals!

Pros

I like how easy it is to add new projects, and adjust times afterwards to correct time tracking if a timer was left on. I also like that an email notification is sent if the timer has been left on overnight.

Cons

It was a little confusing figuring out how to integrate it as a plug in with other programs such as Asana.

Stanislav from Remotek Ltd

The Only Time Tracker a Freelancer Needs

I've been using Toggl when doing freelance work and have loved it. You can use the desktop client or the web client - they sync in real time. Reports are awesome and my clients love them

Pros

It's very simple to use and provides several tiers to organize time into. The tool allows you to have workspaces and in each workspace you have further breakdowns: client -> project -> task. This allows for very good organization of your time spent and convenient reports, where you can segment time based on each of these criteria. It marks each task with a different highlight color making it easy to identify. When starting the timer you can either click start and then type your task or project to choose it from a drop down, or you simply scroll through the history of logged entries and just click on any to resume working on it.

Cons

The mobile version didn't have a lot of functionality until recently, but now that is improved.

Samantha from Self-employed

Easy to use and very functional time tracker that helped me as a freelance worker

easy time tracking and I can easily export my timesheets and send to clients.

Pros

I like that it's free, and even though it is free, the features are functional and you get everything you need for a basic time tracker with reports that can be exported as a PDF or Excel file. I didn't need to purchase the upgrade because I'm a solo user and the features available for the free version are all I really need. I did have a project where I collaborate with a couple other people and again, even on the free version, I was able to use the workspace/team feature with no problems. It made tracking time within the team easy.

Cons

I don't have any issues with Toggl, and have used this for more than 5 years in my line of work and business. I would probably recommend a setting where you can't edit the entries for members of the team, or for non-owners so that the time tracker is accurate and not manipulated.

Stephen from IT Lab

Accurate and simple time tracking with great reporting

Pros

The most important thig about time tracking is it must be simple and easy to use. Just press play if you're starting "something" and catgeorise it later. Press play on a task you were doing before and tweak if needed. Set up categories and tags to easily select for reporting later. Simply and intuitively adjust start and end times if you forgot to press start or stop. All web based. Simple but useful reporting, I use for tracking types of work done and overtime.

Cons

Working out the relationships between teams and workspaces and projects is a little complex, but it's not needed for basic time tracking and gives a lot of flexibility and collaboration options when you do master it. Recently the mobile app syncs poorly so even if I do manage to connect it may not stop the timer when I have left my desk. But the interface worked well when it did sync correctly.

Maciej from visio | architects and consultants

Industry: Architecture & Planning

With this software I regained the control of time.

I got rid of procrastination and gained control over time.

Pros

Thanks to Toggle I could finally forget about timesheets. It does all the calculations for you. Now I don't start any task without hitting "start" with Toggl. It also helps me to control workload of the entire team. The speed and ease of use it true. The app is very light and the interface is very minimalist, does not distract and allows you to quickly set the proper parameters. It improves overall productivity, a lot, and kill procrastination.

Cons

There were several bugs during software development but now it's ok. At the beginning it takes much time to set up everything (projects, clients, etc.), but later it pays off. The reporting could be more automate (like summary+details) and generate more precise file names. I get lost a sometimes when I try to collect monthly reports from the whole team.

Debjit from Alpana Web Solutions

An interactive way to manage all my projects.

I really like the UI, it is very interesting and not dull like other apps. I have 3 member team which is really effective after I install an activity monitor/time monitor in their pc and now they are more efficient and effective. I am happy and now I pay my team by their work hour and not by day. That also helps them to control the time wastage on social media. I am really happy this application and cartoon-like UI.

Pros

I love cartoons, and toodl's visual is a really interesting way to communicate. After creating my first project it takes me to a hike with my cartoon characters. I love their interesting idea, it's not like boring anymore. Certainly looks like it is an interesting game to be played. Their guides are really helpful which helps me with lots of useful documents. The provided app for all platform even for Linux using chrome browser it is super simple to track the time. I love how simple and one-click function for 3rd party application integration workes. No need to open multiple tabs, it just under one dashboard. Time tracking per client and multiple devices help me to check everybody's usages. All project management features available for the small free team which is really awesome, if I get used to it then I can add my remote worker to this platform.

Cons

The per-user report may be a good thing to store as pdf. I use google drive as my primary storage which is enough for another 5 yrs. Per workspace wise billing is I never seen, I am confused about their pricing now. Why I have to select when every time I create a workspace?

Michael from Paperback Expert

Industry: Publishing

The simplest and most stress-free time tracking option

Pros

We use Toggl every day to track all of our tasks. The desktop version is really simple with a welcoming UI. It's easy to keep in the corner of your desktop without distracting you from whatever else you're working on. The mobile app is excellent too. They keep improving it—for instance, in the latest version editing previous time entries was made way easier.

Cons

The desktop app sometimes gets the spinning beach ball of death. Occasionally it won't respond for so long that I have to force quit. Aside from those two complaints, not much is bad. The desktop app will slow down over time as you accumulate time entries; you have to clear the cache to speed it up again. I wish Toggl would automate that process, for instance by removing all time entries older than 2 weeks. Anything longer ago than that I can go online to find.

Joshua from META Solutions

My Favorite App (Yes, I said FAVORITE!)

I love good apps. Well-design apps that show attention to the customer experience. Toggl, while addressing a task that nobody loves (time sheets and time tracking), is honestly one of my favorite apps. It makes a tedious task tolerable, and it does it with such finesse. I've been using Toggl since it's infancy, and it only gets better and better. The company sincerely cares about the quality of the product and the customers that use it. I couldn't recommend this more highly. I have an entire department on it, I use it for freelance, I recommend it to friends for personal life, and I recommend it to clients often. Great, great, great!

Pros

Simple. Elegant. Soooooo well thought out. Designed down to the pixel!

Cons

Pricey. Requires expensive subscriptions for the features you really crave.

YagneshKumar from ProfitSword, LLC

Best time Tracking for Projects/Assignments/Tasks

Toggl main benefit for me is the ability to track my time and provide me with visual details on where i spent most of my time during working hours.

Pros

Toggl is one of the best time tracking software out there that i know of, i use Toggl most of all time projects I am involved in for the company i work for. What i like about Toggl is, that is is easy to use the UI is simple and efficient on entering my time spent on a particular projects and such. The web based entry for Toggl shows me the charts and graphs on where i spent my times the most whether if it is projects i worked on or tasks i accomplished, Toggl gives me the broad spectrum of my time spent. Moreover, with just a few clicks i enter in my time, and add couple of notes and done, then Toggl keeps all my data entry any provides my weekly, monthly, and annually graphs and charts. Also Toggle works on multiple platforms so there is no need to worry about which devices are compatible with Toggle.

Cons

One of the major downside of Toggl is that it does not have a screenshot features to where i can take a snapshot of a particular screen and save it with in Toggle.

Madeline from Morsekode

Makes Timesheets Easy

Overall, my experience with Toggl has been great. I use it every day and have never had any major issues/concerns with using it.

Pros

Toggl has made timesheets a dream. I used to try to keep track of my specific tasks/projects/meetings in a doc, but this was so hard to keep track of at the end of the day. I couldn't remember how long I spend on each task. This is a really easy way to keep track of this and then add it all up at the end of the day to log my hours. I also like the type of analysis you can do then on how financially efficient you are. For example, if I spend X amount of hours on a particular client and they pay us $X/month, then how efficient are we on a cost/hour basis?

Cons

I think the tool is pretty simplistic overall, so there's not a lot of features or functionalities that it has. But that works just fine for my needs. I just need a tool that's easy to stop, start, and add my hours for particular tasks. Toggl has been that tool for me.

Easy, straightforward time tracking

Pros

Sometimes when I work, I get distracted and lose track of how much time I've spent on something. Using Toggl has helped me keep better track of how I'm spending my time, so that I can see at a glance what I've been doing and when. I use it for my regular job, so the exact start/end times aren't a huge deal, but I've also used it for contracting work when I need to keep track of each minute I spend on a project for a particular client. Toggl lets you use a combination of projects and clients so that freelancers and contractors can keep track of the various tasks and clients they're doing work for. They also show handy summaries and pie charts of how much of my time I've spent on a particular project, and so on.

Cons

Sometimes I've hit "enter" on the desktop app, assumed it started the timer, and gone off on my merry way, only to find hours later that it hasn't started at all! Usually this is an easy fix for me - I just set the start time for whenever my last timer stopped - but occasional times I've had to do some detective work to see how long ago I actually started working.

Joseph from Infosys

I just love this simple time tracking tool, it had helped us deal with multiple projects!

Pros

It is very easy to set up and begin our tasks. Thanks to the application being cloud-based, you can access your data from any device any time. We can add up notes, and it has made organization and sorting process simplified! It would notify you about inert time if any, so you can utilize time in the best possible way. It has great reporting features, and if you are in search of a tool that helps you send great timesheets, then toggle is the one, no longer you have to worry about using those age-old spreadsheets! I should say it very cost-effective, and affordable in comparison to the similar applications available in the market. With the toggle, we can track time both automatically and manually.

Cons

The customer service is non-existent! You would encounter bugs while switching in between workplaces. The chrome plugin is very buggy! The more entries you add up, the slower the desktop application becomes!

Best timer I've found in years!

Pros

I am a Virtual IT Admin and since I'm the only person in my company, I've only needed a basic timer. I only have a Toggl free account and honestly have no need or desire to go to a paid account because Toggl gives me everything I need in the free account. One of the best features is that if I forget to turn off my timer, Toggl knows the exact moment when my mouse/keyboard stopped and can track that as idle time to be removed if I want. The reports feature is another beauty. I don't use the Toggl app to invoice my clients but I get full detailed reports that I can download in PDF or CSV for use in my invoicing.

Cons

I know I'm supposed to list a con in this spot but I honestly have nothing negative to say about this app. It's been a lifesaver.

Toggl is awesome!

I've been using Toggl for a number of years and it's only gone down once during that time (due to a major cloud provider going down). It's easy to use and it helps me know where I'm spending my time.

Pros

Toggl is an awesome product. It's super simple and easy to use, but powerful enough to give you insight on where you are spending your time throughout the day/week/etc. It has a lot of integrations to make time tracking easy to use, and you can train a new user on it in minutes. They have a great API for integrating it with your own systems.

Cons

The Android App needs a little bit of work and it crashes semi-frequently. You don't lose data when it happens, but it's a little annoying. I also wish there was a 'trash' area where you could restore deleted time entries if you happen to delete one by mistake.

Nawar from ICHEC

Toggl Review

Pros

Toggl is one of the easiest solutions to use. it is very easy to add time entries and flexible in switching between projects while adding the time entries. Reporting is not that bad, we can get almost all the information we need from them.

Cons

Can't add project months for those projects which have both start/end time and number of hours required. So it is little bit hard to track the progress of the projects. It doesn't have a team scheduling option

Rodrigo from Self-Employed

Great tool to track time across teams, projects and clients

I have used Toggl to track freelance work (some billable, some not) and it has worked wonders for the past few years. We recently started using it in a wider team at a law firm I advise. We wanted to control wether client work was profitable or not, and because time is the biggest resource in that kind of work, we lacked a good way to track that. Since using Toggl we've been able to check how much time we put on each client/project and then use that info as feedback when estimating new workloads and projects.

Pros

Toggl is one of the easiest to use time-tracking apps I've used. Apps for mobile devices and both Windows and Mac work great. Also, tasks autocomplete (from previous entries) makes entering data a breeze. Easily see team time in the web dashboard or dig deeper in detailed reports. Pomodoro functionality is included in the apps too.

Cons

Nothing so far. Pricing can seem expensive if your team is large, but for us it has proved a great way to control costs when time is the main resource your company uses.

Jason from Danny's Stuff

Amazing Desktop App

Toggl has allowed me to easily track the man hours invested in each assignment. This has been invaluable to decision making on how I lead my team. Toggl has also provide invaluable insight which has aided me in making some major decisions regarding the scope of our campany's projects.

Pros

Toggl is very flexible and allows the creation of project categories to be customized precisely and with ease. My favorite feature is Toggl's desktop app which has boosted my team member's use of the service to nearly 100%. Instead of requiring a team member to load and login to the online toggl service they can now simply click the taskbar icon and a perfectly synced, minimalistic and simple toggl tool is provided to them. The app updates the main account very quickly and accurately. A great addition to the main toggl service.

Cons

There is nothing about my toggl experience I would change - especially the desktop app. It is perfectly designed.

Daniel from EMPACTED

The Best Free Time Tracker...Period

I've been using Toggl for several years and I've never needed to upgrade (sorry Toggl). It's been the best time tracker for my needs without a bunch of bells and whistles. I can easily track my time with the desktop or mobile app, and organize my work using tags. If you need a simple, but powerful, time tracker, then this is the one to get. You can subscribe to one of their monthly plans if you need additional features like advanced reporting or if you need to add billing rates to your time tracking.

Pros

What I like: - Unlimited projects and clients for free members - Desktop and mobile applications that help me track time - Basic reports to help me see where/how my time is used across client projects - Robust upgrade path

Cons

What I don't like: - The desktop client only tracks time. I wish I could manage client and project info as well.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,010 reviews