All Abacus Private Cloud Reviews

Reviewed May 2021

Worst business decision of my career

Ada

Reviewed August 2018

A Robust solution for today's mobile office needs

Customer rep went above and beyond for me. He did the following for me: He helped me update a laptop running remote access to the APC Cloud so the toolbar could be updated to include a size retractable feature; reinstalled the Message Slips icon; updated java; and created access in the APC to scan folders located on the local computer for 2 laptops accessing the APC. He also recommended the use of micro SD cards to expand storage capabilities for the laptops included in our Abacus subscription. This was really important because these laptops have limited resources and performing Windows updates was becoming impossible. Rep did all of this without missing a beat. Our lives were made a whole lot easier today because of rep' diligent help! Thank you so very much!”

PROS

The software has a wealth of features that can make tracking cases and billing so much easier.

CONS

It does take a while to learn most of the features but it is worth the time.

Elliott

Abacus Private Cloud Review

I like the product very much. I compared it recently to other legal software programs that have similar functions and I think this one with all the additional features works the best for my office.

PROS

I like the integration of the court forms with the client base. The calendaring is excellent. If one uses the notes it is easy to keep track of the clients' information and keeps them updated. The ease of logging on from off-site is easy. We were able to have everyone work from home within 2 days of implementation. We don't need physical files and can put the clients' entire file on a dvd for storage. Service has always been very good. They walk you through what they are doing so you know how to do in in the future if necessary.

CONS

It is a bit expensive, and I would like them to give us a break on the price when we add users. Some part time users cost the same as full time. I would like it to integrate with an accounting program like QuickBooks.

Reason for choosing Abacus Private Cloud

I had been using the Abacus program for many years and liked their approach to a cloud based program. We didn't have to do much in the way of conversion.

LAURA

Reviewed July 2020

Promises made, not kept

I would not recommend it for a multi-office accounting firm. The concept is great if it works. I would definitely talk to a tech person, not the sales person, before even considering the switch. In addition, if there is any hesitancy on their end about a program, etc..., I would not go with them. They have a problem with the right hand knowing what the left hand has promised and they drop off the face of the earth when they don't know what to do to assist you with a problem.

PROS

The transition was mostly smooth but there were a couple of programs that we could not get to work on the cloud. It was nice having (mostly) all programs in one place for access because we have two offices that are dependent of each other for data purposes but we could access the other office data if needed.

CONS

Abacus knew everything about our firm at the outset, even before we signed the contract, and yet they did not allow enough resources (processing power) for us to work efficiently. The programs always had some lag to them and we could never find the right person to address our issues. We went through a tax season with minimal support and slow programs and their answer ended up being not enough resources and a hefty price tag to get us up to where we should have been in the first place, but they just wanted to make the sale. We were assigned a person as our liason and most often we would not get a response when reaching out to them, so we would reach out to our sales person and basically anyone who would listen just trying to get help. Both of our office's internet speeds were over what was required, so that was not our issue. We feel like we were talked into something to make the sale, then we were put on the back burner and not provided what we were promised. We purchased early September and promised to be up and running by end of October and by the we were not fully functional yet in January. Granted we have a good many programs, but again, it was all provided to them up front and they guaranteed it would not be a problem. We cut ties the following October, after working in it for 1 tax season and not getting the results we needed to run efficiently without a large additional monthly outflow.

Reason for choosing Abacus Private Cloud

Price and promise of ease, use, and speed

Autunm

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Cloudbased for Times Such as These

PROS

Fully mobile cloud base and exactly the same no matter where you use it. I love the feature that prompts you to bill.

CONS

It can be glitch-y and hard to get a person to understand the issues when you call customer service. It is expensive.

Hi Autumn, Thank you for your feedback. We greatly appreciate it! Would you be interested in being one of our featured customer stories? We are hearing countless testimonials about our APC environment due to the current state and we want to share your experience! Let me know what you think! Natalie Lara The AbacusNext Marketing Team

Lynne

Reviewed May 2020

Cloud Review from a small business

The Cloud allows us to support our clients by being able to login from different locations and help them with their Quickbooks issues. Saves us a lot of time - which is great!

PROS

Most important to us is that our clients can login easily to the Cloud and access their software - and if they get stuck, we can login too and see what they are doing. Saves us from traveling to each client's office. The Tech support people are wonderful and very friendly!

CONS

We seem to have the same problem when our clients can't login. If too many of our clients logout improperly, the Cloud gets stuck and won't open for anyone. Somehow, this seems like it should be a fixable problem. Also, the Cloud seems a little pricey for our small company.

Reviewed January 2022

Abacus Law Software is awkward to use, missing features, full of errors and the Cloud does not work

The first 1 1/2 years of Abacus Private Cloud was fine. Then they changed my "private server" or reduced allocated RAM memory, resulting daily crashes. Avoid all Abacus products. They refused to let me out of the last year of my three year contract. They also lied about backup (only 30 days of back up unless you pay them more). They do not let you add any third party cloud based backups except Dropbox if you can get it to work. The customer rep does nothing to help.

PROS

It allows easy remote access through remote desktop

CONS

Avoid all abacus products. The Abacus Law software practice management is clunky, slow and counterintuitive. It also uses outdated judicial council forms, has spelling errors, the billing and accounting is awkward and not designed how a lawyer thinks to bill a client. The Abacus Private Cloud is NOT private, but a shared server, which is a lie when they sell it to you. The APC will not work well and crash almost daily. They try to upsell you more "allocated memory" after they change the settings to make your "private cloud" not work well. The Customer Rep service is non-existent. However, the individual IT techs are extremely nice, they vary in abilities, but they also express they are hampered by what they can do. It also seems that after Abacus was sold last year, they reduced services and even if you have a contract they want to provide less service and charge more.

Reason for choosing Abacus Private Cloud

Because it included the Abacus law software. Now we regret the swtich.

Reasons for switching to Abacus Private Cloud

Thought a cloud based system would be more flexible and they promised the Abacus Law software would replace Timeslips and our Judicial Council forms software, which it did not do.

Frederick

Legal Services, 2-10 employees

What Happened?

It used to be a responsive tech provider.

PROS

I have used Abacus software for about eight years, and Abacus Private Cloud/Next since it began. Until yesterday, I have received good technical support. I have now called eight times in the last 24 hours, and no one will return my call. I did receive an email from someone - once - who said he had called and left a message, but no call or message was received on my phone. I even used a separate phone on one call, in case they were blocking my number for some reason, but still no call back. I emailed the person who emailed me, and still no response. I cannot have my law practice shut down for a day - or more - just because some sharp MBA manager outsourced their tech support to ... god knows where!

CONS

It is vastly to complicated to use for any law firm smaller than 50 lawyers.

Mistake

Carol

Cloud based services

Overall, I like the remote access capability far more than services like Logmein or PC Anywhere. The screen quality (size and pixels) is so much better, and so much easier on the eyes. Access to scanner, fax and printer all seem to work well, too.

PROS

The advantage to the system for me is the ability to log into my desktop when at a client's location. It allows me real time access to the tax and accounting software, documents in our client management system, email and my calendar.

CONS

When the system is down, you are dead in the water. You loose access to everything!! No client phone numbers, email, your calendar, etc, in addition to the various software programs. The frequency of service interruption - I loose connection at least once a day. During the peak periods in tax season, it happened many times a day. It also happened routinely at the same time every evening. Customer service said they would track to figure out why, but it never happened after repeated requests. Customer service has been very responsive lately, but previously, if you called after about 11 AM EST, you never heard back and would need to recall the next day. Once you get a hold of someone, they are very helpful.

Debra

Reviewed June 2020

Lifesaver billing and calendaring program

The billing program pays for itself in less than an hour.

PROS

With the recent pandemic, I had to act fast to get up and running my own firm. Having Abacus Private Cloud in place allowed me to bill on time and accurately.

CONS

I had this software and was not using it adequately.

n/z

Hi Debra! My name is Natalie and I'm on the Marketing Team at Abacus. I wanted to reach out and say thank you for the feedback! It's great to hear that AbacusLaw has been a great resource for you during this crazy time. I wanted to reach out to see if you would be interested in being one of our first customers to film a video review? We'd love to include you in this cool new project! Please let me know if you are interested! Thank you, Natalie

Replied July 2020

Reviewed September 2018

Great storage for Law Firms

No problems at all and have great user interface. We have not had any privacy issues with maintaining our files on the cloud. In addition, it has saved our firm thousands of dollars in IT management fees.

PROS

Our firm has a multi-area practice such as real estate, probate, estate planning and family law. Our storage requirements are very high and our needs are met through the use of the Abacus Private Cloud. The clients' documents are accessible and organized. No need to keep unnecessary papers in our office since they can be accessed from anywhere at anytime. It's great to be able to access any document during a meeting or an arbitration.

CONS

We have to evaluate how much storage we need and sometimes that needs to be expanded. Although it is easy to do, it is just something that needs to be handled by our office administrators.

Michaael

Reviewed November 2019

Worst business decision of my career

Nightmare. The sales people were pros. After the sale, a horror show. They simply don’t have a worthwhile product.

PROS

Nothing. The promises made by the sales people were pure baloney

CONS

The product is cumbersome and is far inferior to using quickbooks and outlook. You are looked into a very expensive 3 year contract for a non existent case management contract. They won’t even respond to requests to cancel contract. Run from these people.

Quickbooks outlook

Reasons for switching to Abacus Private Cloud

They promised a fully integrated case management and accounting system fully backed by their IT team and you would not even need iT of your own.

Douglas

Long Time User

Abacus Private Cloud allows me to do what I do best, provide quality service to my clients. I don't have to think about the software. I have my contacts, my notes, my calendar, all at my fingertips without having to tell a client, "please hold on while I get your file". I am organized and know where everything is without having to "fret". I absolutely enjoy using Abacus.

PROS

I have been a customer of Abacus for over twenty years. I first started with the company before the Abacus Private Cloud. One of the things that I loved about Abacus was their support. They could and would resolve any problem immediately. When Abacus began servicing customers with the cloud, things became even better. There is nothing better than to simply turn on your computer, go remote and know that all of your work is backed up, protected and accessible.

CONS

The software has a billing component to it. When it first came out, it was unworkable and I opted out of the billing. I don't know whether it has improved and//or whether the "bugs" have been worked out.

Hi Douglas, Thank you so much for your feedback! We love hearing that firms are finding so much success with our APC environment. Would you be interested in being a featured customer story? Please let me know if you are interested! Natalie Lara The AbacusNext Marketing Team

Zachary

Great Service - but it’s getting pricier

I think it’s a great product. With great functionality. Overall it’s a must have product. There are some areas that could be improved, but I have always felt like Abacus was always self evaluating and continually improving functionality and features. They listen and problem solve whenever you have problems.

PROS

The front and back office functionality is great. The abacus system and matters combined with the accounting piece is huge.

CONS

When it crashes, it gets frustrating. Sometimes the accounting software boots you out mid billing and that is extremely frustrating. And after hours, it isn’t as easy as it used to be to get assistance, so we find ourselves waiting until normal business hours, which impacts our ability to be in court as we are sometimes dealing with abacus issues instead.

Reason for choosing Abacus Private Cloud

Tightly integrated, good training, and made sense to me.

Hi Zachary, Thank you so much for your feedback! We love hearing that firms are finding so much success with our solutions. Would you be interested in being a featured customer story? Please let me know if you are interested! Natalie Lara The AbacusNext Marketing Team

Jordy

Reviewed June 2019

BEWARE - This platform is dangerous!

We are a tax firm, we were encouraged to move forward with implementation and data migration in November, however the first available time to begin migration was the first week of January. Still, we were encouraged to move forward. We weren't actually operational until February, into the heart of year-end books, payroll and tax season. WORST decision I have made as a business owner! We were misled on when billing would begin... We were misled on sign up bonus of laptops... which I had to push for, they said the person in charge of shipping there was no longer with the company, right! We were misled on DROPBOX functionality (or they were negligent) We were misled on the contract, and the ability to add and take away users. I am now FIGHTING (hopefully not legal yet), to cancel, and they are claiming we do not have "CAUSE" as if the above, productivity, stress, staff, isn't cause.

PROS

The vision is great, the idea behind it is great. It just doesnt work...for us. Two factor security is great The actual support engineers were thoughtful, and helpful, not always did they have the answer, but they were very diligent and patient even if ultimate solutions were never found.

CONS

Constant data issues with regard to how dropbox was installed. PRO SERIES BASICALLY does not work. The EF center takes up to 5 mins to load, or submit efilings, and then another 5 minutes to return to the home base after submitting a return. HOURS lost, CLIENTS, REPUTATION, etc. was miserable, still is. Was suggested we stop using our web browser of choice, for which all out staff has memorized functions on to improve the performance of the server, they were fully aware of the use of CHROME as essential to our functions.

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Reviewed July 2018

A few times regarding customer support, usually setting up new users

Case Management Software

PROS

THE APC platform does has some very useful features, like remote connection and 24- hour IT support. The techs are also funny, kind, and more than accommodating faced against some grouchy lawyers.

CONS

The functionality of this program is not. there. The remote connection feature is unrelaible, and the APC terminal server platform does not play well with others, like Dragon and Adobe. We have a package intended to accommodate up to 20 users, we have 14 licenses and maybe 6 people in APC at once. It's slow, it lags and crashes and more than a few times has kicked someone out resulting in lost work. Also, Abacus Law is designed to function exclusively on a server or in the APC platform, so forget amazon or Microsoft clouds as your plan b. Great people over there, but they're technology is just not there yet.

Kimberly

Reviewed May 2019

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

We're 6 months into our migration from Cloud9 and it's nothing but a disaster. It started with half of our data missing from Cloud9 and taking weeks to sort that out. I continue to be on the phone with them experiencing down time in some capacity, almost every single day. Lots of empty promises at a high cost. Clients have left my firm because of their frustration in the Abacus solution. Seems like their law solution may be more advanced than the accounting solution, but I'm sure the accounting solution is serviced out of someone's garage and we must be about the 10th customer. The other 9 accounting users have posted here, mostly unhappily. They are so lacking in processes and procedures, they couldn't have more than 10 customers. They can't get the basic of the basic working. I would never recommend this solution.

PROS

NOTHING. Unfortunately I had to give all 1 out 5's. Should have been 0's.

CONS

EVERYTHING. -Down time - excessive -horrible, cumbersome integration with Microsoft 365 (which was forced upon us - we didn't know that when we contracted) -inexperienced tech support (when you can get hold of them. Often you have to wait so long on hold that it goes to voice mail and they don't call back) -they don't support your clients directly, it has to go thru the providing company (we just got an exception to this, but that's ridiculous. Something else we weren't told when we contracted and didn't think to ask) -Cost

Misty