• icon"I like that you can populate targeted results very easily."
  • icon"It seemed simple enough. Also their 1800 customer service was helpful with technical questions."
  • icon"I love the new capabilities that Cision rolled-out about a year ago, including a new user interface."
  • icon"Hard to navigate, UVM seems overly inflated, and not all the outlets are accessible online."
  • icon"If you do not pay attention to this included information, you risk contacting these individuals and hurting your brand's reputation."
  • icon"The interface is cheap and clunky, they don't monitor as many titles as you'll need them to, the press lists are far from definitive and their customer service is poor."

All Cision Reviews

Company size: 51 - 200 employees

One stop shop for PR professionals

Industry: Consumer Electronics

One stop shop for PR professionals

Use it as a daily tool for media and influencer outreach.

Pros

You get contact info from journalist that you wouldn't be able to find online. And they all have opted in. Great search tool to find new outlets and great monitoring service.

Cons

Expensive software but you are purchasing a lot of contact information. Great if you have a big PR initiative, otherwise it's hard to validate the expense

Scott

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

No longer the industry leader for media research

Every serious agency needs a media research tool in order to build and execute media relations campaigns; we're no exception. Media research is largely the only thing we've used from Cision. Our team has become disillusioned with how difficult it has become to create meaningful media lists. So much so that we're likely to transition away from Cision when our contract expires.

Pros

Cision has always been the gold standard for media research. The robust platform boasted hundreds of updates daily, and the media list output has been largely reliable.

Cons

Unfortunately, Cision either suffers from poor leadership, poor vision, a lack of care for its customers, or some combination of all the above. Aside from the fact that the results are no longer as reliable as they used to be, each and every update to the user interface has made the platform worse. The UX is not intuitive or easy to use. The customer service is not remarkable in any way. The technical support is a bit of a disaster.

Reasons for choosing Cision

Cision has been our go-to solution for more years than I can remember. It has a long history of high quality, but with all the mergers and acquisitions, it's become clear that Cision has lost its way.

Ed

November 2022

Similar Products in the Market that are less expensive

I loved it when the company was VOCUS, but when Cision purchased them, it got more costly and less productive.

Pros

The Native Articles that accompany a press release

Cons

The cost and the difficulty creating client reports to demonstrate success

Reasons for choosing Cision

Just the opposite - see above

Reasons for switching to Cision

Cision purchased VOCUS. Since the first couple years with Cision, I have switched to Meltwater with PRICE being the primary reason, should actually value for the spend is better now.

Quality of information gathering seems to have gone down

We use Cision to monitor media mentions and for their media database

Pros

I've used Cision on and off throughout my (long) career. It has always been 'on top of things'. I always felt it was innovative and did a good job of gathering media data.

Cons

I've found that the database isn't as user friendly as some of the other databases that are out there. I also have a subscription to a competitor and have found that Cision does not pull in the same articles as this competitor.

Brand loyalty

Natasha

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

August 2022

The best overall system

Pros

This software has everything you need for PR management I one spot: press releases, contact lookups, media monitoring. This is the premium system to use.

Cons

The media monitoring alerts can be a little tricky to setup and remove.

Corey

March 2022

Keeps Us Current!

Has really improved as our media presence has grown and have no reason to switch to another provider.

Pros

Cision allows us to know every time we are mentioned in the media, which gives us the opportunity to not only track where we are and what is said about us, but also share that media with our followers on social platforms. Cision is also crucial in our media outreach, especially when contacting local media where we may not have regular contacts.

Cons

A lot of the searches, you need help with their client relations folks, who are amazing, but it's an extra step we don't always have time for.

Reasons for choosing Cision

Meltwater honestly was extremely pushy and would call every other day despite them asking to stop. Can't imagine being a client of someone like that.

Bruce

An integral tool for social media marketing

We have an opinion that this service is a great solution for social media marketing. It can help you to build new contacts, make researches and communicate with clients. Moreover, it is easy to use, so you need to try it for sure.

Pros

There is no doubt that Cision is a perfect tool for marketing. This service offers the easiest way to find a particular influencer. With a help of a special menu, you can choose a precise category and choose a proper category in order to get an exact outcome. Moreover, it offers to pick up a theme or a location in order to find a person that is connected with the same informational field as you do. Cision is a great service for social media marketing. It has a solid database, flexible and user-friendly interface and many useful tools for marketing. With its assistance, you can turn into reality different marketing strategies within a second.

Cons

Unfortunately, Cision isn’t perfect. An automated search doesn’t work properly, so you to rely only on your personal research. Despite the fact that Cision has a profound database, it still lacks the data itself. Sometimes, their researches can be a little bit slow and there is no chance to find a particular person that you really want to find. Moreover, if you don’t know the right name of the influencer, you won’t find him or her at all.

Joshua

Cision does the work for you

We did a lot of manual grind searching in Google and Bing for opportunities, Cision has helped us quicken that process without worrying if we had a good resource to reach out to or not.

Pros

The ability to reach out and find people for link ops or for content ops is amazing. The reach and database they have built for this is impressive. We've done several "expert pieces" for clients and the fact we can use this to curate the content we have has sped up our process. Cision's quality of reporters is also nice to trust. We know they don't let just anyone in their database and it allows us to pick and chose who we want to work with.

Cons

It's pricey, but you pay for the high quality of resources which benefits you and your clients in the long run.

Christine

Industry: Publishing

A publicist's dream - perfect for researching media contacts

We use Cision for all of our pitching needs, and it's an invaluable tool for us. I've built lists for specific media campaigns using Cision's "covering..." function, and found niche outlets that I wouldn't have otherwise found. Overall, Cision is a great one-stop for most publicity needs.

Pros

I love how easy it is to look up an outlet and find the correct contact to reach out to with a particular pitch. It's also extremely easy to look up outlet circulations, which we research all of the time in order to maximize visibility. Cision is normally pretty up-to-date with different outlets, which is impressive in a constantly shifting media landscape.

Cons

Sometimes the search requirements can be a little too specific, and an outlet has to be typed in a very specific way to appear (i.e. with or without "the" in front, etc.) It'd be great if there were suggested terms, similar to Google, so that if you don't know the exact spelling of a last name you could still track down the contact.

Katie

September 2022

Clunky Compared to Competitors

Overall I would not recommend Cision because of the issues we experienced, but some of their tools are strong and it could be worthwhile depending on what you need. Our predecessors had chosen Cision, and while we did renew a couple of times due to the poor timing of making a transition, we eventually switched to Meltwater to consolidate our vendors and have a more user-friendly tool.

Pros

Cision's reporter database is much more robust than Meltwater's, as they have trade/niche publications and more complete staff listings. You could also do more customization with the e-blasts.

Cons

We had a terrible experience with the constant switching of reps, but even worse was that it took literal hours to pull metrics for our Board of Directors. I

August 2022

Cision Sucks in Every Possible Way! DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Virtually none.

Pros

I worked with Vocus for years and loved it. They had a massive, easy-to-search database, great integration and awesome customer service. But Cision is a sham. Their database is a joke. I usually have to manually add the outlets I want to reach. Their customer service reps are very poorly trained and can't answer simple questions, and parts of their site are often down. The company seems to have been broken into small parts that are not integrated. It's clunky, ineffective and a waste of money.

Cons

Yes. The search function is needlessly complicated. The database is very shallow. Cision and PRweb are not really integrated. And customer service is virtually nonexistent.

Reasons for choosing Cision

Because I had previously worked with Vocus and loved it. Cision does not live up to the standards set by Vocus.

Can't live with it, Can't live without it

When it comes to media databases, none are really amazing. Cision is one of the top contenders and a necessary evil for PR.

Pros

Cision works when you want to find a specific reporter's email; i.e. you know their name and publication. It's also helpful in figuring out the email formats of different publications.

Cons

It's not very intuitive. If you type in the name of an outlet, for example, all outlets that have any part of the words used in the query will appear. Results require a lot of manual sorting to figure out what is relevant to your search and what isn't.

I want to like it

I was actually the person who convinced my boss to purchase Cision for a start-up I was at in 2018. It was helpful, but I'm not sure if it was entirely worth the expense. In part, it was because I didn't have buy-in from necessary stakeholders and there was a significant time investment to sifting through to find contacts. In my current position, I inherited Cision from a predecessor. Again, I feel the money could be better spent elsewhere. Again, it's probably because less the platforms fault and more because we don't have the internal resources to fully dedicate to PR. I've always found the customer service there to be incredibly friendly and helpful.

Pros

The HARO subscription that comes with this product is incredibly handy. The contact database is useful, especially when I was trying to find blogs willing to review a new product.

Cons

The search felt a little cumbersome at times, and I've come across some outdated data. It's very labor intensive to sift through to find valuable contacts and establish a rapport with them. The software doesn't replace a PR professional with solid industry contacts. It bothers me that I can't set up my own listening devices and had to reach out to our rep any time I wanted to make a change. I've yet to come across anything in their that didn't pop up on other alerts I have set up in other platforms, so that piece of the software felt redundant for me.

Ok media database, good monitoring, and everything else is disappointing.

Ok media database, good monitoring, and everything else is disappointing.

Pros

The Cision database is fairly complete. If you know who you are looking for, you can usually find their name and contact information there. The news monitoring function — alerts which track news published online — does a fairly good job of giving me a heads-up about coverage. If you want to track coverage by source type against particular names or keywords, Cision monitoring will sometimes produce sources that Google alerts will not, and it will usually beat the alerts by a day or so.

Cons

Reporter discovery is hard. Beat designations within Cision seem very rudimentary and “thick”— reporters listed as “Technology,” for instance, might cover “artificial intelligence” or “embedded analytics” or “machine learning” or some combination of the three. Given the fact that an off-beat pitch can easily result in a communications representative being added to a reporter’s spam list, it’s critical that you know exactly what a reporter is writing about, or risk having no way to contact a reporter ever again. For media search, I needed Boolean search. Cision promised that functionality but, without getting too far into the limitations of their archiving, their provider agreements, and their search functionality, I found it a very clunky and inefficient way to search coverage on the fly. It's also super frustrating to be told that a publication is "in the database" but isn't searchable, because of licensing covenants.

A solid tool

Would recommend Cision for capturing media coverage.

Pros

I use Cision at least on a weekly basis to search for media coverage for a multitude of clients. What a lifesaver. It does an amazing job to find media coverage worldwide and some stuff on social media.

Cons

It takes a while to set up for each client. Thank god that Cision support helps with this. Sometimes connecting with your Cision rep is difficult and takes time. Their social media coverage needs some work but they have made strides.