• icon"My favorite part of the software would have to be the appointment book feature."
  • icon"They are friendly and very helpful and are always there when we need them!!! 24/7."
  • icon"I am a small business owner, so all the setup was on me. It was easy and intuitive for a non-technie."
  • icon"The error message bug regarding processing emails. Not a big problem, just annoying."
  • icon"Because I'm don't know how it works. I also think it's crazy we have to pay extra for text messaging."
  • icon"Now I am told that will never happen because of the platform it was built in. Basically your sales department lied to be to get the sale."

All Insight Reviews

July 2022

La prise de conscience du nouveau rôle fondamental de l’IT dans le plan de croissance.

Pros

Nous sommes très convaincu d'avoir opter pour Insight. les avantages sont nombreux: Insight nous a permis à de choisir le bon équipement et le bon logiciel pour assurer la continuité de notre activité quelle que soit la configuration, en se basant sur les solutions vidéo PanaCast et audio Speak 710 de Jabra et Microsoft Teams. La modernisation de nos procédures de travail. le travail à distance même le recrutement à distance.

Cons

Les inconvénients demeurent marginaux devant les avantages qu'il procure Ce logiciel était un peu coûteux. Comme tous programme, il nécessite un paramétrage complet. L'utilisation rend la société dépendante de l"éditeur du logiciel.

Steven

Great Choice Overall

We took over ownership of a salon that has used Insight for years, so we decided to keep using it. Overall it functions well and has pretty much all of the features we need. Throughout the last year we ran into a few technical hiccups but customer service was helpful in getting things ironed out. We have an excellent representative that is okay with us emailing her directly which is a rare thing and is much appreciated. Most of the support staff is helpful but there's one person that seems to get annoyed or sound inconvenienced when I call in about something. It's happened a handful of times with that support staff member. If you're a relatively small salon & spa, Insight is a great choice. We have found that the monthly fee added on top of the price to purchase SMS bundles has caused the cost of Insight to exceed other software on the market. If you send a lot of text messages to clients, keep this mind since it can increase your budgeted expense for software. Overall quality (4) - It works well but at times throws error messages for certain reports that requires a call to support staff. Ease of Use (4) - There's a learning curve to Insight but that's nothing new. There's a TON of reports which takes considerable time to learn, and no one report includes a dashboard of all statistics an owner might need. I find this tedious having to run several reports multiple times for each team member. I can recommend Insight to anyone looking for a salon & spa software, but felt it's my duty to cover both the pros and cons. Hopefully this review will help.

Pros

Offers several features that most owners need. Relatively easy to learn and support staff seems willing to help if you're lost or have issues with anything. Uptime is good if you're using the cloud version, which is recommended over the installed version.

Cons

Having to buy SMS bundles drives up the cost of the software. Budget wisely. Random errors when running some reports, which are usually fixed once support knows about it.

Response from Syntec Business Systems

As we have told many of our users, if you have an idea for a specific report that you would like to see added to Insight, please send us a rough outline of your specifications to requests@salon-software.com and we will try to add it in to a future release. Asking for a "dashboard with all stats an owner might need" is fairly subjective because each owner might have different thoughts on what those "needs" are so if you can give us a specific example of what you want to see we can work on that.

Replied December 2016

K

Not impressed with the software at all, but the customer service in the help department rocks.

Not intuitive at all, tedious to work with, clients not able to enter credit cards at booking, which for me was a major necessity. I was told if I integrated my credit card processing and bought their code card swiper clients would be able to enter their card info at booking. That was not the case. I would still have to call each one to get their credit card info and save it to the system, which defeats the purpose of online booking saving me time. Once integration was enabled, I had to enter a password 11! times just to check someone out. The support staff fixed it a bit, which brought it down to 6 times per checkout, which is still too many. The owner told me that's the case with all software programs and told me the new one I switched to, as well as 4 of the other major spa software programs were operating outside of PCI compliance by not having to enter a password that many times, but that was an "alternative fact." Online booking is also not intuitive, especially for spas that offer quite a few services, as the drop down menu of services is alphabetized, rather than grouped by category (i.e. facials, waxing, tinting, etc) and then alphabetized. The new software I have has a grouped drop down menu and also allows for further customization if needed. The reports were confusing, more so than any other software I've used. It's a very nickel and dime software, where you are charged for text message reminders, data conversion (mine may have been waived at sign up, but there was just no charge with the new software at all), and it was poor service and representation to sell me a customized credit card swiper to solve a problem it didn't solve, and then tell me I couldn't get a refund when we realized it wouldn't work within 3 days. The response was that, "it states on our website that the hardware is not refundable," but I wasn't on the website when they talked me into signing up for the swiper by phone. If you have Macs and iPads, steer clear. They claim to work with those, but neglect to reveal the 10 sec delay each time you do anything, while Apples "talk" to Windows. I had the same awesome software for years but outgrew it and was looking for more. What I got with Insight, was just more headaches. The one glowing review I have is for everyone at their tech support office. They were very patient and extremely helpful, and if the call was during their office hours, they were pretty quick to answer and were almost always able to solve the issue. :)

Pros

The customer support team is awesome!

Cons

Clients cannot enter credit cards at booking, drop down menus were tedious as all services are lumped together alphabetically, reports are tedious, paying for text reminders is tedious, doesn't work well at all with Macs, and occasionally, I couldn't even get into the system. Also, the owner is not pleasant to deal with and sounds like a mini Trump whenever he is called out on an issue. He doesn't operate in good faith. Sold me hardware that wouldn't work and wouldn't take it back or even give me credit towards my account for it, since it cannot be used for anything else.

Response from Syntec Business Systems

Thanks for the review. It's great to hear that you have had a positive experience with our Customer Support team. We take security very seriously with Insight Software and ensure that we follow all the rules surrounding PCI and PA-DSS compliance. We encourage you to visit the PCI Security Standards Council website (www.pcisecuritystandards.org/assessors_and_solutions/payment_applications) to determine if software programs are truly approved payment applications. You can search by company name ("Syntec", in our case) or you can search by application name (e.g. "Insight") Even when dealing with a PCI compliant software, we advise you to be cautious when dealing with any company that offer work-arounds. While it may be more convenient for you and your staff, it will be your business who will face the consequences if caught.

Replied February 2017

Renata

Great but needs some improvement

I have been using Insight for a few years now. The software is somewhat user friendly, once you know your way around it's pretty easy to navigate around. I love the fact that I can schedule appt from an app on my phone, I don't ever need to call the salon to see when my first apt is in the morning. Having said that there are a lot of things that still need a little improvement. Example: I can't double book from my phone. I can't change my working schedule from my phone. I can add a special break or block a time when I know I won't be available but then I can't see the notes I have under that block. On the software itself, when I'm using the computer I can schedule multiple services for one client (I can however it will show as separate appts and opposed to one long appt. I also would love to get texting with my service, however for a booth renter like myself that service is a little too pricey. Would be nice if it was included in the $35/month I currently pay. The customer service is excellent. I always get to talk to someone quickly and they always have been able to help me. After all the little things that I know one day will be fixed I love this program. Easier than a few I have tried in the past.

Pros

I'm able to use my phone to schedule appts

Cons

I can't double book from my phone I can't change my working schedule from my phone Too expensive to have access to text to confirm or cancel appts

Shannon

Time used: Free Trial

February 2015

Insight Makes My Life Easier!

PROS: Ease of use, Great Technical Support, Very Affordable CONS: This isn't necessarily a con, because the program's functionality is effective, but it would be nice to have a greater range of options in some areas of the program Our salon and spa has been using Insight for a number of years. Insight Salon Software is so easy to use. Steps are intuitive. Even if you didn't have someone available to show you how to use the program, you could learn the system fairly quickly on your own. The price point is reasonable, and there have been no hidden costs or fees. About a year ago another software was highly recommended to us, and we opted to give it a try. And try we did; we struggled to learn and use the system. 6 months later, we took the loss on the other software and came back to Insight. The support I received to transition back made it so quick and painless that I almost couldn't believe it. And when I announced to my staff that morning that we were back live with Insight, every member either hugged or thanked me profusely! Now, we could get back to focusing on important things, not on a software program!! One thing I love about Insight is the ease of movement within the program. For instance, when you open a search screen, your cursor automatically appears in the search box and in many places you can simply hit Enter to move to the next box. These may seem like minor details, but if you've ever worked with this capability and then tried to use another program that doesn't have it, the time saving aspect becomes quickly apparent. We do at times have issues with the automatic features working correctly - appointment confirmations, nightly backups, phone app - and end up having to these things manually. But it is also a problem we had with the other program. These types of issues are just part of it. When something goes wrong, though, the technical team is always available and always friendly and helpful. We work off a fairly detailed business plan, and I wish there were more detailed options available for some areas - such as special commissions on specific services, report sorting, etc. - that would be more in line with some of the particulars of the way we operate. I hope to be able to work with Insight on some of these things. Bottom line, Insight Salon Software is more than worth the investment.

Roberta

It serves it purpose.

Pros

Customer support. They are friendly and very helpful and are always there when we need them!!! 24/7!!

Cons

There are so many features. There really should be a class to talke for about a week to learn everything. I've had it for almost three years still am not using everything because I'm don't know how it works. I also think it's crazy we have to pay extra for text messaging. I was also told when ai bought the system it would become apple friendly which was why I chose it. Now I am told that will never happen because of the platform it was built in. Basically your sales department lied to be to get the sale.

Response from Syntec Business Systems

Hi Roberta, we appreciate your feedback. While Insight runs best with Windows, it certainly can work with Macs as well. As we offer true, two-way text messaging (not simply email-to-text), there is a cost for sending SMS. Depending on the number of texts you wish to send, our Insight Deluxe Cloud plan may be a more affordable option. Talk to our Sales Team (1-888-919-5841) to learn more.

Bill

Excellent Salon Software

The software is feature rich but most importantly (coming from an IT background myself), the support is absolutely the best! It can be a little "clicky" esp in Reports, but I am very happy overall.

Pros

It does what I need, is fairly intuitive, and is feature rich.

Cons

Reports, which I use quite a bit, is a little clicky, especially when printing. I wish there was a way to regulate all the confirmations when printing and just be able to click once for things (i.e. selecting a Stylist). Also, sometimes I have to hunt for things (i.e. confirming the appointment for an online booking).

Response from Syntec Business Systems

Thanks for the review, Bill! We'll take your suggestions into consideration as we continue to optimize the user experience.

Replied November 2016

Taylor

Seamless transition, and the solution to many issues we had in the past made Insight a smart choice.

Pros

The ability to find and run any report we may need in order to keep an eye on benchmarks and create goals is the most valuable tool for us. Insight makes it easy to look back in time, make changes where we need; as well takes the manual work out of marketing and reminders/confirmations of our appointments. We have been able to use the tools given to keep a closer eye on client trends and make sure we can solve even the smallest problems within salon functionality.

Cons

The thing that makes it a little harder to use is a small lack of customization in regards to what we can view on the appointment book screen, certain fees and services in our salon that don't really fit into any category or place, and the lost ability to add unlimited service providers in our quickly growing salon. Though Insight does offer the best they can when calling for solutions, and usually provides an alternative way of doing things. It is disappointing to have to continue to pay more each time we are ready to add a new feature.

Response from Syntec Business Systems

Hi Taylor, thanks for sharing your feedback!

Ryan

Amazing experience- the company really cares about you and stands for their product

Pros

Amazing experience from the start. Sales got me best fit and deal. Support helped set me up the first phone call I made on the equipment arrived. Every time we had questions they answer the call right away and they are very very knowledgeable. I also had two reports I needed to be tweaked to how I am managing my business and I actually had discussions with the President of the company who went completely above and beyond with his whole team to get the report modifications (a LOT of work too) ahead of the regular release schedule because they knew how much they impacted us. I recommend this as the definitive and premiere salon software to use. I could not imagine a better piece of software with a company ran by better people in the world. I feel like we got lucky by selecting Insight!

Response from Syntec Business Systems

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ryan!

Replied December 2017

Joy

Love this product

I have been using Syntec for almost 10 years (back when it was called Insight) anytime I've called customer support if they don't answer the phone right away they are quick to get back with you and take care of your problem. We did beta testing with them when they were developing the software and called fairly often and not one time where we disappointed. I think that says a lot for a company. The only time I ever have to call in now is when I can't figure something out the program works for me seamlessly. The program also offers a ton of features for what I feel is a fantastic price!

Pros

The price and how easy it is to use.

Cons

I would have to say if there's something about this product I don't like I haven't found it yet.

Suzanne

Very easy to use

I love the ease of reports and download to quickbooks for simplified bookkeeping process. The online booking is excellent for customer convenience and retention. Some suggestions for improved performance are: #1. On line cancelation notifications so that stylists are made aware of schedule openings due to on line cancellations. #2. Individual Employee specific service selections that can and cannot be booked using on line booking system.

Pros

On line booking, download to quickbooks,

Cons

Can't personalize the system, not really user friendly for hair salon with chair renters that have individual prices and services offered. On line booking system should have a notification tab to advise of a cancellation just as it does for an online appointment booked.

Response from Syntec Business Systems

Suzanne, I believe that most if not all of your concerns can be taken care of in the software already. Your best bet is to call customer service at 1-800-805-4532 and ask about the best way to handle these things and they can work with you to personalize your copy to work the way you want with your renters and the online booking and cancellations.

Replied February 2017

rupal

Excellent

I can't run my spa now without this software

Pros

Easy to manage and quick at help. I like their remote access too. I am going to start their SMS tool to do reminders for client that's great it save lot of time.

Cons

I can't move all appointments at once and that's only my concern. Oh yes I would like to have their birthday pop up for that month beginning for all month of birthday but instead it is from day to day month goes.

Response from Syntec Business Systems

Thank you for the review, Rupal! In the System Setup area, you can actually choose when you want to be notified of birthdays and anniversaries. For example, you can ask Insight to let you know if the client's birthday is within 30 days of the current date. If you have any questions, give our support team a call (1-800-805-4532) and they will be happy to assist.

Kendra

User friendly and a helpful support system.

Ease of understanding how my salon is performing.

Pros

You can't "mess" anything up that cannot be corrected. It is easy to train staff and extremely user friendly just "surfing" through reports.

Cons

Not having an integrated electronic signature program for credit card processing. Keeping printed receipts is outdated.

Response from Syntec Business Systems

Kendra, we actually do have an integrated electronic signature pad for credit cards but it isn't part of the Insight software...it is part of the cc machine you use with Insight. I see from your account that you don't yet have integrated payments with Insight so if you call our sales office at 1-888-919-5841 they can give you all the info you would need on getting a signature capture device for credit card processing that will fully integrate with Insight.

Hannah

Great program for my salon

I've been using insight for 11+ years at the salon I've been working at. Just recently opened up a salon in my own home, and chose to use the ro gram for my new business as well. I have now used the installed version and the cloud version, and both are easy to use. If unfamiliar with the program, it takes a bit to set-up, but the customer service is great, so they can help you out so you get the most from the program. Highly recommend!

Pros

Easy to use and has all the information I need to run my business.

Cons

I'm not a fan of the iPad/iPhone version. True touch screen capabilities are lacking, as you have to find the cursor and drag with your finger. Would like to have an installed version for Macintosh computes as well, as opposed to just the cloud version.

Buffie

Love love insite

Customer service is fantastic ! Anytime I need help they're always so helpful, friendly and never condescending. A special thanks to Tara Woleben, who was so gracious with me!

Pros

Everyday ease. Great customer service

Cons

Features that seem too complicated. Whish someone could personally come down to explain

Response from Syntec Business Systems

Buffie, Thanks for the review. While it would be nice to be able to personally visit every one of our clients to show them all the features, that might get a little expensive and time consuming. However, our support staff can log in to your computer over the internet and show you any of the features you are confused about to ensure that you are able to fully utilize the software and reap all the benefits. Just call customer support whenever you have some free time and they can go through it with you.

Replied November 2016