• Pros

• "I really liked its ease of use for just about anyone. "

• "It is easy to use, very flexible, and meets all my needs. I like that I can program it to do what I want it to. Additionally, it has very useful and easy to find and read reports. "

• "ability to add items is nice and the ease of all buttons on same screen is a huge improvement. inventory reports are nice"

• Cons

• "The only con is the monthly fee. Although pricey, the bang for your buck at the end of the month is worth it. "

• "Sometimes difficult to match up specific menu changes to system, so we have to create "patches" to make work. But it does work."

• "The way the integration works with QBO takes some getting used to, but it is not a deal breaker."

Browse Revel Reviews

Bailey from Barker Mansion and Civic Center

Industry: Museums and Institutions

Great

Pros

It's easy to learn and accessible. Having it on an Ipad means that it's large enough to know what button is being pressed, and to move things around if need be. Having categories set up is great so we can keep track of how much change we need or how many people came in to visit the museum, that day.

Cons

It can get a little complicated especially with adding discounts to certain purchases which can be difficult for our older volunteers to get a hold of. But is really it, on the basic side of things, it works well and does the job efficiently.

Response from Revel Systems

Replied August 2018

Bailey, Thanks so much for the feedback. We're delighted that Barker Mansion is making good use of its Revel POS! If some of your volunteers are having a hard time adding discounts, you can have them visit the below Revel University page for video guides detailing how to complete a variety of discount-related actions within your Revel POS: https://revelsystems.com/revel-university/categories/discounts-combos/ I hope this helps! Please reach out to us if you have any questions. - Holden at Revel

Extensive functionality

Despite the technical issues, our experience with Revel has been great due to its user-friendliness and extensive functionality.

Pros

Revel has a lot of features that allow us to easily keep track of our visitor numbers and inventory. The system is very easy for our staff to use and it requires very little training.

Cons

We have run into numerous technical issues with Revel and their customer service has not been very helpful when resolving some issues.

Reasons for Choosing Revel

Revel has better back-end management

Rachel from Hospitality

They will keep taking your money after you have finished with the software

The tech support people are nice. The sales team don't care. The accounts will take your money and not give you the service.

Pros

Everything in one place like online ordering.

Cons

Complicated and were happy to charge for any addition or even when the service was cancelled they kept charging and would not refund. They said they can not refund even though no service was provided. Problems with accounts and over charging was a common occurance during our two years with Revel. I would highly recommend people look at other systems before going with Revel.

Michael from Occasion Brands

Only good if your needs are very Basic

Overall Revel is a total letdown and will be replaced by year end with a better system, lots of things we were promised could be done require using their "Open API" which costs more per month than the entire POS system does for 5 stations. We were not told about the API pricing upfront (or that there was even a cost at all, it was pitched like it was included in the regular fee) just that we could use the API to do everything we told them we needed to do, my project manager informed me of the API pricing during our implementation, when I called out the sales rep for never mentioning the additional cost despite repeated conversations about how critical this was she told me "its not my job to tell you the pricing for the API since that's not my department" It is also very difficult to impossible to find and load an order in the dashboard by customer. You have to load the customers orders report, find the customer in the list, click show orders, note the order number, then go to the order history report and then you can click through to the order, why isn't the order number under customers order a hyperlink to take me to the order? They made a systems change to batch process updates to the POS instead of in realtime, we have a custom app that we use for check ins when a customer comes into the store and it adds customers to the revel system so we can link them to a sale and track close rate etc. They used to sync in real time from the dashboard to the stations, after a recent update it takes anywhere from 30-60 minutes for the customers to pull down from the revel dashboard. I have verified they show up on the dashboard instantly as they should, there is just a major delay in syncing back to the iPads now that was not there before the update. Reporting is very weak in certain areas, you can't view profit by anything other than employee which is worthless if you don't have pay rates loaded which we don't since we aren't using that aspect of the system. When we receive inventory in the store, we upload it into the revel dashboard via their excel template this works about 75% of the time, the rest of the time it just silently fails, you will never receive any notice that it failed, where it failed etc. So now before I do any uploads, I do an export of what we have immediately before so when it fails I can compare to the inventory after the partial upload to figure out where the import stopped so I can import the rest. I could keep going but bottom line is if your needs are more than barebones or you are not a restaurant you should look elsewhere for a much better solution.

Pros

Overall they have a nice POS interface and it is pretty stable. Their pricing is also pretty good for the base system.

Cons

Functions are hard to find Very much geared towards restaurants, so if you are in another business be prepared to see restaurant specific stuff all over you can't turn off Material changes to the way things work with zero notice Can only see profit margin by employee no P&L type report. Inventory uploads regularly fail with no notice, and no way to tell what was added without doing a manual compare of before and after and trying again with the additional items.

Response from Sarah

Replied April 2018

Hi Michael, I am truly sorry about your experience and I have shared your feedback with our sales management team, as well as the customer service team. I am confident that once we get we get a bit more info from you, we will be able to come to a resolution in terms of API and reporting. Our customer service team will be happy to follow up on any outstanding issues you have. Regards, Sarah, Customer Advocacy Manager at Revel

Good idea, good realization on the hardware concept, but buggy software

Sales, inventory, predictions, CRM, marketing - all nicely done.

Pros

It is full wifi, full cloud, very versatile and very nice and sleek.

Cons

iOS only, apple only, comes out expensive, heavy toll on the pay as you go needs (licensing tied to number of terminals)

Better overall quality.

CHINTAN from rahi

Can be far more better

The experience have been satisfactory. Felt it had lot of potential but not living up to it. If they become more customer focused and approach it might work for them.

Pros

Its functions at the time we bought were nice and feel we can do a lot of things if they approached it with more commitment. It was way ahead of competitors when it launched.

Cons

One of the biggest complaint is customer support and feel its a big let down. Also over period of time feel their product is not changing according to Industry Needs.

Thierry from Paris Crepes Cafe

Maybe not for restaurant

The system was easy to learn, thanks god because there is no onsite help and if you have a problem you have to resolve it with and onl the phone operator! That can be time consuming and frustrating if you are not very technologically friendly.

Pros

Easy to use. Easy to learn staff friendly have a portable option, reliable enough. Use iPad and doesn’t take too much space.

Cons

Not set up toward restaurant, long orders arrive in the kitchen, with no clear consolidation of the order, making it difficult to work with big parties. And few little similar problems, that make you think, this system was not developed for restaurant

Reasons for Choosing Revel

At the time I could not access my touch bistro network from an outside computer.

Maria from Green Table

We use Revel for our restaurant for the last 2 years and it's challenging

It's easy to use, at least the front part and it's popular among employees a lot of locations used Revel and when we have new employee it's not rock in science to learn it, that if he/she doesn't' already knows it from a previous job.

Pros

It's pretty easy to use at lease the front end, the back end can be more user friendly, I'm able to update things really fast (menu items) even on our website menu, once I do it in Revel. It's running smoothly, never had a hardware problem with it and the communication between back end and from end is just a click away.

Cons

It's pretty expensive, comparing with other softwares, customers service support is not that fast or knowledgeable (at least with the things I needed), for example I've called customers support 5 days ago, then I've submitted an email on the 8th and today is 14th and I haven't hear from you guys. The Inventory and Recipe books were so hard to use and really time consuming (example: if I buy one item in Grams and I want to put it in the recipe in once I have to make the transformation). The price of the items is not updating according to the last purchasing price (if you're entering Invoices in Revel) also it's not giving me the option to run a report and see the price fluctuation for one Purchased Item, or by Invoices by Items or orders by categories (is not helping me at all regarding the information I need for Inventory). In order to integrate with some systems I had to pay and don't think that's normal.

John from GOLFTEC

Good POS Software

Revel is a much better POS system than previously used. It makes opening and closing very simple. Inventory is fairly simple. I like the look of the software. Definitely recommend it.

Pros

Nice clean look and fairly easy to find what you're looking for. Good POS software that can help you clean up your POS offerings. Provides fairly good POS protection and security for your business. Closing and opening is very simple. Saves a good amount of time from previous system used.

Cons

When you have two items and only one is discounted, the discount shows in the second item as well. This makes it hard to get the price right. Have had to do a manual discount, rather than percentage to work around this.

Bill from THRIVE Farmers

Revel, the good and the bad

Helpful with keeping track of sales and labor. Easy to learn and easy to train new employees on.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. The reports are pretty good. As a simple POS and time keeping system, it works well

Cons

If you need a POS that will help you with in depth inventory control, this is probably not the system for you

Response from Revel Systems

Replied November 2018

Thank you for the feedback, Bill. We'd love to hear about what we could do differently with our inventory management tool¿if you'd like, please submit a feature request at https://support.revelsystems.com/hc/en-us/articles/208479946-Suggest-a-New-Feature. Thanks again!

Christian from AMB Foods llc

Skeptical at first...

After months of wrangling with the decision of which system to invest in I cautiously went forward with Revel. 2 terminal system only so if it didn't work out the damages would be minimal. I learned the hard way jumping in with two feet real quick with Clover. (Different business than the one I bought Revel for. The CC processor is really to blame for saying that Clover is a good system for full service restaurants and I'm to blame for not verifying.) That was a disaster. Paying monthly for a pile of stuff I never went live with. Back to Revel. So many negative reviews made me really worried but after so much research, a: it seemed like it was very robust, more than any other cloud based system, something that would be difficult to quickly outgrow, b: relatively cheap entry cost, albeit the most expensive ongoing costs (more on that later), and c: every system turns out to have overwhelming negative reviews by my count. After reading all the reviews 2 things stuck out to me. One, I was real concerned about the support teams. It was such a common theme amongst so many review sites. Two, I sensed a bit of naivete on many of the negative reviews. After reading between the lines I figured this was a very complex system and one would have to put forth a lot of effort to get it set up and working well for your business. It does not plug and play. It could be but you would be barely scratching the surface of what it is capable of. The lack of support made it seem like someone with little experience with computers and or POS systems should stay far away. We have been live for over a month and I felt compelled to get on here and tell about my experience. Completely exceeded my expectations. To be clear, it has been a challenge getting it all where it is now. We went live 16 days after it arrived in the mail. That's not enough time. My own fault for dragging my feet. Give yourself 30 days. That would be a nice luxury. Plan on adapting it to your business. This system is designed for such a broad spectrum of businesses so don't expect it to be perfect just for you. That will take time. We have so much more tweaking and customizing ahead. Recipe builds, ingredient unit and cost data etc. You will only get out what you put in. The support that comes with the system combined with the fact that you get lifetime updates as the system is improved and having features added makes the monthly cost worth it to me. Thanks to an agent of NY for giving me all the information I needed without any of the typical sales pressures. I will be adding the self serve kiosk sometime this month. Can't wait to bring that exciting feature to our customers.

Pros

Basic programming is relatively easy, uploading large amounts of items via excel spreadsheet was great. The support has been awesome! We have made a few mistakes on our end and they have gotten us back on track, plus quickly been able to guide us through some more complex feature programming. No issues have gone unresolved and none have gone into the 2nd day. No issues have been in any way critical or serious either.

Cons

Even though our system is 100% hardwired it still requires an access point that is wireless. I don't like the potential issues with wireless. A few days ago one of the terminals was having a spotty connection issue.

Chip from Piper's Cafe

Industry: Restaurants

Just what I needed (and didn't even know that I needed!)

We have now been live with our new Revel POS for a week. Naturally, there were a few issues during the switch over, but most of those were a) problems with my setup and b) easily corrected with help from the on-boarding team, tech support folks and very comprehensive online documentation. As of this writing, I believe we are finally “there.” I am really liking Revel’s product. To be honest, I had no idea how much I was missing out on these past 4 years. I had just assumed that a mature and viable POS product did not exist in the iPad/Cloud arena. I assumed, incorrectly it would seem, that to get such a product I would have to one day shell out thousands or tens of thouands of dollars for one of the “big guys” with expensive hardware. I’m glad to have been proven incorrect in that assumption. In my mind, one of the absolute best features of Revel is that it is so highly configurable. I have been able to create a POS that meets my business needs as well as the needs of my employees and guests. So far I have not had to “settle” for a configuration that works for “most” people. Instead I have found that I can tell Revel how I want it to work for me and it just works that way. I've never understood why most cloud-based POS companies think that they know more about running our businesses than those of us who are in the trenches. I have been delighted to realize that Revel is willing to put in the effort to create a POS that works they way we work. There is no one-size-fits-all, especially in restaurants. Revel's designers and engineers seem to understand that fact. Little things like the following mean the world to me: 1) I can specify negative modifiers — ones that deduct from the price. Now my guests can truly have it their way and only pay for what they want. While I've always run my cafe that way, only Revel has allowed me to do that without a lot of unnecessary steps. 2) I can set up default modifiers, and more importantly when a guest doesn’t want that default it is easy to specify at the POS and it is obvious for the kitchen. 3) The flexibility of defining “one size fits all” modifier groups, and tailoring those to the needs of each product that uses them, has made my life so much easier. The modifier features are amazing, and I've just begun to scratch the surface of what is available. 4) And don’t even get me started on recipes. How I ever lived without those in my POS is a mystery. I guess I lived without them because I never knew I needed them! In the past two days, my employees and I have been able to identify menu items whose gross margins are dragging us down. Since all of our products come with so many options, this has always been a hard, time-consuming thing to do, involving lots of spreadsheets and number crunching. Now that I have nearly all of my recipes defined, I’m able to run one Product Mix report whenever I want and identify problems before they become catastrophes. That alone makes the “extra” expense of the monthly Revel hosting fee worth it. Even in a small shop, such as mine, inventory control is a nightmare. It has become very obvious to me that after a month or two this task will get much easier. Once I have finished tweaking my product and recipe definitions, I’m looking forward to “knowing” my inventory status with just the touch of a button. I know it won’t be completely accurate — no theoretical inventory system can possibly account for human error. But, I already can tell that it will be much more accurate than I’ve ever had before, and it will be more accurate without the drudgery of weekly physical inventories. I would be remiss if I did not give a shout-out to your on-boarding and tech support people. They all proved to be very helpful, and very willing to let me go at my pace in this process. I am a tech geek from the days of Univac and IBM mainframes, punch cards and programming languages that are long dead and buried. Though I am now a chef I have never lost my love of all things tech. It was a pleasure to work with people who let me control the process as I was learning Revel. Their on-boarding team is willing to do as much, or as little, as their new clients need to get them up and running quickly. If I had to sum up my early experiences with Revel and the switch over, that sentence would be ---- I now feel like I am more in control of my business, that I understand my business better. As we enter our fifth year, a year that looks to be like it will be on schedule to be our first true profit year, that is huge. I'm looking forward to learning how Revel can help make that first profit year even more profitable. Sure, there is always room for improvement. Revel, like most mPOS companies, needs to get their integrated EMV/contactless functionality up and running, not just for one or two payment processing companies, but for all of them. Having said that, I realize how expensive and how difficult that task is. But, if they get it done quickly and correctly, they will be a hard company to beat. A few other reviewers mentioned one suggestion I will echo -- be prepared to spend some time learning what you have with Revel, and what it can do for you. Myself, I spent hours looking at every setting, reading the help bubbles for every setting, and making notes about what I did and did not want to implement. I asked a lot of questions. I watched a lot of videos. When I wasn't sure, I created tests, ran them and looked at the results. Most importantly, I spent two days keying the same orders into both my current POS and Revel, looking for discrepancies and errors in my setup. Sure, that all took a lot of time. But taking a lot of time up front means spending less time fighting fires after going live. What I'm trying to say is don't think you are going to get your hardware and go live in a week. I budgeted a month for training, setup and troubleshooting before I ever thought about going live. I think a month is the MINIMUM time needed in order to do it right, and I have set up a lot of POS systems in my career. Remember -- as restaurants, our POS is the hub of our data and data analysis. We wouldn't short-change our recipe development, or training our cooks and other staff. To succeed, we need great data that tells us everything we need to know about our business. Revel can be that vital hub, but only if we take the necessary time and effort in the beginning. And, with that, I'll step down from my soapbox.

Pros

Flexibility -- ability to configure to work the way MY BUSINESS works Customer support and training

Cons

Needs to get their integrated EMV/contactless payment integration up and running. Currently that only works for one or two payment processors.

Response from Sarah

Replied October 2016

Hello Chip, Thank you so much for your detailed input. There's so much useful advice here! We agree that with a robust platform it definitely takes some time to customize, but once you do, you will reap the benefits of having intelligence about your business easily available. We hope to continue to continue to provide stellar service so that you can run your profitable cafe. Your shout-outs to Support and Onboarding will be passed on! Thank you so much for your support and belief in our product and what we are working so hard to accomplish. Cheers and thank you again. -Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

PHIL from MARCHE 2.0 LLC

June 2016

Revel POS--a powerful tool for hospitality and retail

Revel Systems POS is a very powerful tool that is well-supported, constantly undergoing updates and improvements (and that our salesman and installer have been very easy to work with!) I have generally found tech support to be responsive and they have usually always helped me resolve any issues.

Pros

The retail, restaurant and quick service platforms that we use in our establishments are designed with those unique industries in mind, and the system is powerful enough to handle close to 10K inventory items in retail; dozens of employees in retail and restaurant establishments; and even a quick service environment where hard-wired Internet service is not feasible. We have had a great experience with our salesman, installer and tech support throughout our relationship with Revel.

Cons

The off-the-shelf Revel POS system is not a custom system made to a customer's exact specifications, although Revel does offer that service for additional cost. Customers should know what their needs are before implementing the system. The system is based on a columnar, spreadsheet, model, and for many installations that may result in the user interface having several layers of menu screens that need to be negotiated in order to retrieve a menu item. The system is pretty flexible, however, and offers the means to work with a huge number of inventory items in a wide variety of platforms (hospitality, retail, mobile.)

Lisa from Cupcake Jones

Industry: Restaurants

Not for the technology newbie....

The only reporting feature I would love to see is comparative reports so I don't have to piece them together. I want to know things like "sales last March versus sales this March", and "labor last month versus this month". That's how we track trends and right now we have to export as excel and wrote our own formulas to analyze this data. Overall, a good system for our small business.

Pros

Great reporting on the back end. Responsive to feedback. Constantly evolving and listening to customers. VERY customizable. The systems are reliable (as long as your network is reliable) and I haven't had any Revel related downtime. We are a 7 day a week operation with two locations and the only problems we have had have been related to our own network reliability and one faulty iPad. Once we upgraded those, we were fine.

Cons

SUPER labor intensive to set up yourself. If you are at all uncomfortable with technology and terminology, hire someone to do this for you. If you are comfortable plucking around in setting up the backend yourself, go for it. I had TERRIBLE frustrations with the support team at launch. It was clearly an overseas call center and there was a language barrier where the agents were likely trained to simply read back scripted responses and not really think critically through my issues. I feel like maybe they added some US based support because sometimes when I call now, language and understanding is not an issue and I can get things solved quickly. It can sometimes feel like this system is trying to be all things to all people, which can be both admirable and frustrating at the same time. There are SO many set up choices I don't need that I feel like a consultative sales approach (and more personal support at set up) would be more helpful but that would definitely cause costs to rise. It's a conundrum. So just know that you'll save money if you feel confident setting this up yourself. If you aren't comfortable wit technology, be ready to spend a little on hiring a person to set you up.

Kiera from Press Wine Bar

Industry: Restaurants

Amazing features and functionality for accurate business analysis

Give your customer service agents at your call centers raises! I have spent dozens of hours on the phone and talked to numerous people from all over and every single one of them has surpassed all expectations of product knowledge and customer service! That makes a world of difference!

Pros

The features from a business owner's perspective are unparalleled. Everything is totally customizable tofu the specific and unique needs of individual businesses. The customer service alone makes this worth the money. I have never looked forward to calling customer service before, but the training of the employees of not just product knowledge, but also customer service is absolutely unmatched.

Cons

I have three specific areas of opportunity for Revel. 1) Taking payments of split checks (especially when one guest leaves earlier than others) is the worst system of any modern systems I have ever worked with. After splitting the checks, it is impossible to change the way you split the items if one guest has already paid and left. This really needs to be addressed if the product is going to be marketed to full service restaurants that have to deal with split payments on almost every party of 3 or more. 2) While I appreciate its modern focus, it is not easy to work with if a restaurant still uses paper gift certificates. 3) We were a "Guinea Pig" test restaurant for a salesman that had never worked with Revel before. He provided absolutely no help at all in setting up the system as he didn't know much about it himself. Even after he got back from training, he had to call customer service to answer simple questions I had. For such a complex and intricate system, there should be protocols in place for better training of the people selling it to be able to set it up for the customers.

chris from Munchies Ole Inc

Good but troublesome

Pros

Very mobile, orders can be sent in immediately. Very easy to use as far and table waitstaff. Over abundance of information once it is set up and functioning its great.

Cons

There is too much needless information on the back end. its very overwhelming because you have to sift through it every time you use it. There should be custom saves for only the information you use in the reports/options. Its retail and other business type options need to be addressed. This is the main reason i would not suggest using it. The constant updates can be useful but buggy as well. For example a split ticket transaction will literally crash the program (this is as of 1/2/2018). A undressed issue for a month now. Its more like a application a engineer designed rather than one that the end user would find useful. I have use Revel POS for years and still do but am now looking for a replacement.

Response from Sarah

Replied January 2018

Hi Chris, Thank you for the feedback and we are glad to hear that you like Revel overall. I have asked our Client Relations team to get in touch with you to resolve your issue with the split checks. Our product developers are always looking for input on design. I will reach out to you directly to set up a time to collect your suggestions. Best Regards, Sarah, Advocacy Manager at Revel

Josh from Burners Cigar Co.

An expensive

The Revel system is not for all businesses. The sales reps will tell you that the Revel system is capable of everything that all other POS systems will do. However to accomplish the same functions as others it is not as easy as they make it seem. We have considered switching to an alternate POS system because the complicated structure of the Revel system takes quite a bit of work to manage.

Pros

The employee management features are good. It easy to create employee schedules and track employee profits and sales.

Cons

We switched to Revel from QuickBooks POS because we wanted to move to a cloud based POS. Our goal was to be able to manage our retail store and build an e-commerce business. We were told that the Revel system was capable of everything that QuickBooks POS did and much more. However, once we began building it out we quickly realized it was not capable of doing what the sales rep told us it would nor did it have many of the features we used in QB. It took us nearly six months to completely rebuild our entire inventory system, because Revel did not support selling a single product by multiple units of measure (ex. soda by the can, case or 6 pack). Now that we finally have the system in place we've had problems with the inventory management system giving us false quantities resulting in over purchasing and/or running out of key products. They also release new system updates and products every couple of months, however the new releases often have problems and many of the tech support personnel have no idea how to fix problems.

Daniel from The Station SF

July 2016

Using Revel to manage all of my point of sale needs and back office systems

Revel has been the second POS system I have implemented in my business and it will be the last one for various benefits it has given me compared to previous systems. It is reliable! If there are internet connection problems for either transactions or merchant card processing,

Pros

Cloud based, so I can access settings and live information from anywhere. Various modifiable functionalities. Back end reporting is extensive with multiple breakdowns of information available which helps me analyze my business' performance. Tech support are determined to help solve every call. They follow up to ensure things are running well. Very happy with the tech support for any small or large issue.

Cons

It takes a little while to learn how to get around the back office management platform and to be able to fine tune all the settings for your particular business processes. Tech support are always happy to help me find what I need and/or help fix whatever settings might be in question.

Jim from ND Events

Excellent System that Works Great

We have had others system and this just works great for us. It has a pretty good inventory system and a host of reports. The key is its makes the sales process easy. I have no problem giving Revel a strong recommendation.

Pros

Our company is the merchandise concessionaire for Athletic Events at Army West Point and we are big fans of the Revel System. At our latest game, we had 11 stands and were able to push through almost 2000 transactions in a little over four hours. The system has worked flawless for us and our gross sales is up over 20% this season because of the ease of sales. We added a scanner and the fans love it. Combined with a strong credit card provider we have our sales available for us usually in 48 hours. The system works for us in many locations on batteries and its Verizon wi-fi is very good. If we have wi-fi trouble on site with a large crowd...it holds transaction and puts it through when the wi-fi is up. Our staff...not big techies...has had NO problems after expressing a feeling that the system would make it hard for customers to be serviced. We are big fans because it is helping our business. We now do almost four to one credit cards over cash purchases.

Cons

You will find Revel is a little more expensive than other systems. They also make a decent profit on the hardware. But it is clearly you get what you pay for....when you have great service and a strong working system....you have to pay. This is a professional system.

Leah from Goose Bay Marina and Campground

Works Well for our Small Business

Overall, Revel is a good company. We are a small convenience store at a marina and campground and they are working well for us. One of the reasons we went with Revel is because they have teamed up with Shell Corp. to create an integration for fuel pumps and the Revel point of sales. Revel is the cheapest option on the market, that I was able to find, to be able to offer my customers pay at the pump options. This is still in the works, but they are making steady progress and I am excited for when we can try it out.

Pros

Revel is easy for employees to learn (even the non-tech employees) and to use. They have good updates; they listen to their customers about what is needed and then try to implement it. Our store is an hour away from the main office, and we are able to see the inventory from the office to place orders for the store! The reports are useful, varied and well laid out for ease of reading.

Cons

The integration between QuickBooks Desktop and Revel has been a bit tricky. I wish their support team was a bit better at understanding how the two programs talk to each other. I have found that I need to have the Revel Support team tell me how Revel is supposed to talk to QuickBooks and then I'll have to go to the QuickBooks support or forum to figure out how to set up QuickBooks so that it does what Revel intended.

Clarice from CCHRIST BOOKS

A Nightmare...probably a good product but will take you almost a year to learn it.

Once we were able to talk to tier two people, things improved.

Pros

Lots of good reports ... if you finally figure out how to get to them. Till is good. Lots of info in "University" must read it two or three times before it makes sense.

Cons

Labor intensive, requires many many steps to accomplish one thing. Has left our accounting in shambles Unforgivable i.e If you make a mistake in entering purchase order, you can't fix it . It just stays there forever "Integrate with QB' ... does not fully integrate...i.e does not integrate line for line First Tier support only repeats what you tell them is the problem, no fixes Took two weeks to get the wiring set up right d/t false directions from support Has "Chat" but nobody chats... just refers you to something else

Response from Sarah

Replied November 2017

Hi Clarice, I am sorry to hear that you have had some trouble learning Revel. Our platform is pretty robust and can definitely take some time to learn since there are over 500 settings to allow you to customize your point of sale. We highly recommend working with an account manager to optimize your setup and to help you achieve your overall business goals. That said, your feedback is being heard and appreciated. In terms of editing Purchase Orders in Revel, POs are editable until they are Saved and Finalized - once you Finalize a PO, you cannot go back in and edit that PO, which is why the system asks you if you are sure you would like to Finalize. We do this, to provide peace of mind and safeguard you against behavior that could be flagged in an audit or employee theft. There are definitely some language differences between QuickBooks Desktop/POS and Revel's integration. There are many unique properties in both platforms which can take some time to fully design, develop, test, and, then, implement. We are always open to feedback about specific features that are needed or functionality that could be improved! Please feel free to email your suggestions to me at community@revelsystems.com. Happy to set up some time to chat. Best Regards, Sarah at Revel

Chris from Mike's Corner Deli

Tons of customizations!

No other system had the flexibility to provide what we needed. Customization took months to get sorted out (and I am a network engineer during the day). Despite all the hard ships I couldn't imagine switching again. I still experiment with competitors that have lower fees, however can't match half the features and flexibility I get with Revel.

Pros

The ability to customize the POS Online ordering built in at decent rate (may be more expensive now) IPad based (flexibility) Integrates with many payment processors (heads up on gateway fees)

Cons

Expensive Seems like they are moving to a la carte pricing structure (more expensive) Customer Support is based in Philippines, while sometimes good they don't really understand sometimes

Response from Revel Systems

Replied September 2017

Hi Chris, Thank you for the review! We appreciate your input and it's great to hear you like the flexibility you get with Revel. Our Support team, however, is no longer based in the Philippines, as of about a year and a half ago. We have U.S. and Lithuanian-based Support now and we have gotten great feedback. Hope your experiences of late have been great ones. Cheers, Sarah at Revel

Santiago from Government Organization

Best and more robust system in the market

Pros

The best thing about this System is the easy and intuitive interface. It greatly facilitates the operations of the day and allows us to always work in a better way. It has, also, a number of options and improvements that allow me to adapt to my needs, especially the part of the discounts. They are the best!

Cons

The bad thing is the implementation, being such a complete software it takes a long time to configure all the functions to your liking to work in a better way. However, with practice and patience, it is possible to get ahead.

Response from Revel Systems

Replied February 2018

Hi Santiago, Thank you so much for the 5-stars! So glad to hear that Revel is working well for your business. Our product team has worked hard to make improvements to the Discount functionality so it's great to hear that you are a fan! Revel is definitely robust and can take a bit of extra time to configure, but, we agree, that once you get it set up for your business, you will be happy about your decision. Thank you again! Cheers, Sarah at Revel

Kerry from Knitty Gritty Yarns

Dissapointing product and support

I stuck with Revel for the first two years of my business because of the desktop QuickBooks integration, which made things easier on my accountant and myself for bookkeeping. Now that they no longer host a Sync app, they are trying to force everyone onto QB online. The support agent I spoke to claimed that there was no way to export the data manually to desktop. The system was clearly designed for restaurants and mangled into a retail space. There are all kinds of restaurant related options that are unrelated to a retail boutique, but have to be navigated around. Many issues with dashboard navigation, ability to adjust errors without complicating inventory accounting, etc. I've tried to call during peak business times to solve customer issues and been kept on hold for literally hours. When I tried to reach out to the sales person who sold me the system, all emails and calls went unreturned. After 2 years of fighting with this system to make it work in my space, with terrible support and a high suprise costs, I'm giving up. The last reason I held out was the ease of passing through to my accountant. Now that that has been made even more difficult, I will be switching to another system this summer.

Pros

Formerly integrated with QuickBooks desktop Offline sales if internet goes down Somewhat intuitive POS station (still some issues)

Cons

Eliminated Desktop integration on short notice Back end dashboard is difficult to navigate Customer service can have EXTEMELY long wait times Sales team is unreachable after you start paying

Response from Holden

Replied February 2019

Thank you for your feedback, Kerry. We apologize for the frustrating and disappointing experience you've had; someone from Revel will be reaching out soon to see what can be done to make things right.

Charley from We Olive, LLC

July 2016

Shopped around and finally found the best

As a franchise operation with 16 locations that have run 3 previous point-of-sale systems, I can confidently say Revel is the best. It isn't simply that their system is easy to learn, or that they have almost every capability that you can think of, but it's the fact that they keep making it better. Their software continues to change and evolve to fit my stores' needs. I've submitted several feature requests that have already been released in updates. When a franchisee has an issue, I can get a knowledgeable tech support agent on the line in minutes that can help resolve it quickly. We looked high and low for an enterprise solution that fit our model and I'm positive we made the right choice with Revel.

Pros

Easy to use front end with a robust, feature-packed browser-based back end that makes multi-unit support effortless.

Cons

It is a bit pricey compared to some other systems, but the quality and support you get is worth it in every way.

Response from Revel Systems

Replied July 2016

Hello Charley, Wow, thank you for the positive words! We're so glad that you are pleased with our product. Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. Cheers, Sarah M., Community Manager at Revel Systems

October 2015

Ben from Boxed Foods Company

2.5

October 2015

confusing at first. much better now.

Pros

The analytics. Its great being able to look over past orders and watch trends

Cons

Tech support. The first year or so I spent a lot of time on the phone with tech support. Some of the problem was me just not understanding the system. Although a few of the problems were something I could not have known about. Tier 1 tech support was not helpful after a certain point. But it felt very difficult to get my problems looked at by someone with more knowledge. i was often told I would get a phone call back but never received a call. More often than not, I would get an email with a vaguely worded fix. After a year or so i would spend hours fixing a problem myself because this ended up being faster than calling tech support and waiting for an answer. The lack of speaking to someone who can help fix the problem was very frustrating. Not to say tier one tech support was bad. they we're as helpful as they could be. But some of the problems we had needed someone with more knowledge. And the lack of speaking to that person was disappointing.

Response from Liza

Replied November 2015

Ben, thanks a lot for your review! We are working hard to expand our technical support team at the moment to deliver the best experience to our customers when they need help

Emma from Taylor Street Baristas

Industry: Restaurants

Good - but has great mobile app partner in PepperHQ

Revel itself is a solid system, but it was not until we integrated it with a mobile app platform (one of their partners, who seem to only work with Revel) that we really started to get a return on investment from the Revel system. The two systems work brilliantly together and have transformed not only the customer experience, but also our operational efficiency. Revel itself is only part of the solution, Pepper HQ - check them out at http://pepperhq.com - is the key to unlocking the value and extending the features within Revel and I think Revel have been very clever getting these guys to partner with them - massive advantage over any other EPOS provider.

Pros

as I said the best thing out the solution is that it integrates so well with our mobile app from Pepper http://pepperhq.com

Cons

not the greatest support; people seem to leave the company all the time...

Claire from The Granola Bar

Great program!

We use Revel as our point of sales system at the restaurant I work in. After switching to revel from a previous program, I was immediately pleased with how easy and intuitive the program is. Splitting checks is extremely easy to do, no matter how many you have to split it into. This was not the case with our old program. It allows the ability to color code categories and even put an image on a button. Another excellent feature is that servers cannot swipe a card or cash out a bill that is not under their name. This eliminates report mix-ups and the hassle of having to calculate how much of another server's tips you ended up with and owe back to them because it can't happen. Overall, Revel was an excellent upgrade and continues to be an excellent program.

Pros

How intuitive and easy to use it is

Cons

Doesn't calculate tip percentages

Response from Revel Systems

Replied January 2017

Hello Claire, What awesome feedback! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! I will contact you directly to learn more about your suggestions for how we can better handle tip percentages. Again, much appreciated. Cheers, Sarah, Community Manager at Revel Systems

David from de la mer fresh fish market

de la mer experience with Revel

Pros

- Only iPad POS system on the market (as far as I know) that can deal with items priced by weight. - constant improvements on software being done (both UI and management consol) - enterprise management system that allows the management of multiple business units. - excellent 24hr/day technical support - a lot of flexibility in the system

Cons

- lack of stability with Moneris pin pad integration, ongoing issue of POS and pin pad not communicating at random. - difficult to find how to do certain functions in the management consol (not intuitive - for example searching for a subject through what seems like appropriate keys words will not allows bring up the items) - product costs not linked to inventory costs

Pretty, but Problematic

Lots of restaurants and retail stores I frequent use Revel. I would try Revel again if given the choice, but I would make sure to get my employees trained in troubleshooting themselves to avoid the potential of a customer service snafu.

Pros

I work for a small college bookstore that recently transitioned from an ancient, outdated POS system. We were all so excited about Revel. It's sleek, easy to use, and much simpler than many of its predecessors.

Cons

The biggest trouble we ran into is that Revel is hopelessly buggy, and I would sometimes be on the phone with customer service for an hour before getting my problem resolved. For a small business with only one cash register, this was often a nightmare.

Response from Revel Systems

Replied May 2019

Thanks very much for your feedback. We're sorry to hear that our system fell short of your expectations, but hope you give us another chance in the future. We're constantly working to improve the quality of our products and services.

Jeremiah from Essential Foods

Essential Foods Review of Revel

Many things need impprovment but overall a good system. Things to improve on... Inventory, Need a sperate app on Ipad to help take Phisicall inventory. Back side functuanilty needs improvement, too many steps to add products make availble that when you add a product you can do everyting in one step instead of saving and ving to next step and again and again! more tutorials on bulding recipies and buding inventory on restaurant side. Scheduling, Being able to have set shift blocks would help in the scheduling. Better personalized service. our local installer who is supposed to be our problem solver (David Bovenkamp) is not at all helpfull and very hard to get in touch with. Need support that is easily reached and can trouble shoot us quickly. MORE TRANING ON INSTALL!!!!! we have struggled learning ourselves how to build products and menus.! If all functuallity worked smoothly It would be completly worth the value. as of right now the smothness of everything makes it not worth the value

Pros

Front End very user firendly

Cons

Backend lacking and functunallity needs imporvment

Response from Revel Systems

Replied October 2016

Hello Jeremiah, Thank you for the feedback and suggestions around inventory. To clarify, your "local installer" is just that - they install your system and get your business up and running. Our Support is available to you 24/7 and they are happy to walk you through building products and menus -- of course it's important to set aside time for that call. With any new system, it's important to give yourself time to discover how to get the most out of the platform. Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us. Regards, Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Erin from Supermarkets

Industry: Supermarkets

One they get your money, you'll get neither a functional system nor customer service

The customer service is abysmal. Once the sale is made, you are chopped liver and the company really doesn't even seem to care if your system ever gets up and running after that point.

Pros

I can see exactly what we sold on a certain day. They look impressive so despite the fact that they have low functionality they look really pretty....but, lets be honest....that's mostly the ipad.

Cons

Notice how it's spelled rEVEL. (it's illiterate evil with an R). Things I though rEVEL would do but it doesn't, problems we have, and why you shouldn't purchase revel for your establishment. 1. When you set up a customer, they are not automatically set up to collect reward points. Your staff have to create a rewards card separately, then link it to the customer. We've had lots of input errors because of this. The customer and reward points numbers are a customers phone number, which means that if they change their phone number you have to change their customer number. Then deactivate their rewards card number. Then create a new rewards card. Then go to the back end and download the entire customer matrix, insert the number of reward points they should have under their new number, then upload all of the data back into the system. Something that you can only do when you are closed for the day. So many things with revel are like this. Something that should be simple is the most cumbersome thing ever. 2. Customers cant fill in their own information on the customer facing display which leads to lots of inputting errors. 3. The only way collected customer emails link into your email program is if you pay a hefty monthly fee (per pos station) for a third party app. 4. If a customer chooses to have their receipt emailed to them, the system does not collect that email and sync it to their customer identification. 5. In Canada here, there are no Province options when filling out customer details so we can't even collect their address properly. 6. Want to send a coupon to your top 50 customers? Good luck There is no report that you can run for that. Tons of data. No way to mine it. Have fun paying a third party to mine your data for you. 7. Want to know who purchased an item on a specific day? Once again, all this data, with no reports to mine it. 8. GLITCHY! Open orders hanging open, customer reward points not being accrued correctly, and weird little things like pop up balloons that slow down transaction time by 5 seconds, customer list not being alphabetical, orders re-opening hours later showing few cents owing on it, lag time between info going up to the cloud and back down to the stations. (a customer wants to exchange something they bought 5 minutes ago? They have to go to the same pos station they bought it at as the sale will not show up on the other stations for hours). Items that we sell by the each suddenly show an inventory of 1.86 units, where did that .14 of a unit go? 9. CUMBERSOME, the procedures for creating gift cards, processing returns, creating a customer, linking that customer to a reward card. All of it is just so damned cumbersome, takes so many taps on the ipad and is not intuitive....even for our millennial cashiers. 10. The sales people flat out lie. I asked really specific functionality questions from our sales person, who flat out lied about the systems capabilities. Then dropped us like a hot potato once he had our money. I spent the next month chasing Revel to make sure that the install happened before we opened. This attitude of sale first, customer service last, follows through. The hubs that they sold us are glitchy and faulty. We complained about them for a full year. Then we got an email offering us their new and improved network hubs. So basically they sold me crap. Knew that they sold me something that didn't work. Then offered a discount on selling the replacement to me. 11. The Customer Management system does very little. Once again, we had to pay a third party to figure out who our top customers were, then go through their profiles one by one to gather their emails to send them all an email to offer them a reward for being a top customer. 12. You can't redeem multiple rewards at once, or process a refund without a customer making a purchase(we sell milk in reusable glass bottles that the customer gets money back when they bring back their bottle, you can't process this if they just come back to return the bottle without making a purchase), or or process two refunds and a reward under the same transaction. So many glitchy things. 13. Someone will reply to this saying there are no open tickets on our account. And this is true. Because the reply to all of these things is that the feature doesn't exist and I should put in a request for a new feature. Which I have done. Repeatedly over the last 3 years. And here we are, still calling revel support asking why if you sell systems in Canada can I not enter a Canadian address in the system. 14. Poorly trained staff. We are a seasonal business and each spring when we open up, we have to have revel support enter some identification numbers on the back end to have their system work with our payment processor monaris (the only one they offer). It always takes several weeks of my calling back and sitting on hold to get this simple thing done. Every time. This is what it's like calling revel every time. I'm sure that there are lots of weird glitchy things with every system out there but revel really appears as though it was built poorly from the outset and has software flaws that can not be changed. One of my managers spends 10-20 hours per week working on fixing revel errors, calling customer service, figuring out how the system works now that there is another update, writing detailed training manuals for our staff to us the system. It's just so time consumptive and terrible. It makes it all the worse that revel folks just repeat the party line and don't actually look for solutions to the system problems. "Fill in a feature request form" It's like they've all drunk the kool-aid and have become automatons controlled by an evil wizard named Revel.

Gary from Tanner Gallery

WORST POS EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!

Not in mixed company

Pros

It looks nice and professional on our iPad. To look at the homepage, you'd (think) it was a sophisticated system.

Cons

Rather than crashing the site with my bitter, endless ranting about this POS, (and no, that does not stand for "Point Of Sale"), let me just say this: This is THE most unintuitive system we have EVER used. And no, that is not just my opinion. With 6 other employees who use this thing (and 2 of them are former IT professionals), every single one of us agree it is truly the worst. NOTHING is where you would think it should be, and once you find it, you're going to have to go through multiple steps to find what you're looking for. There are multiple ways to perform many functions, but only one of those methods actually work. It's up to you to figure out which way will work. For example, you can hit the "add customer" button but it doesn't really ad them. You have to go to another screen to ad the customer and this method usually works, but you have to figure this stuff out on your own. And when you tell customer service about something that doesn't work, they just tell you "oh yeah, you can't do it that way." Well, why there is an option to do it that way? And the "backend" is just a cruel joke. I don't even bother to try and see what my employees have sold anymore because it's simply too much effort and headache to look anything up. There is no place where you can simply look up a customer, see what they purchased and their contact, shipping info. All of these steps must be done painstakingly separately. And their customer service people seem to know they're trying to help you with a shit product. Lots of long periods of silence on the phone as they try desperately to find a nice way of telling you there is no way to get the damn thing to do the elementary task you need it to do. Oh, and the cost.

Response from Sarah

Replied April 2018

Hi Gary, I have reached out to you via email directly to collect your feedback. That invitation is still open and our product developers are always looking for customer input on functionality and UI. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Software Advice, regardless. I am sorry to hear you have experienced frustration with our platform and we are continually working to improve Revel. Regards, Sarah, Advocacy Manager at Revel

John from Josh ' John's Ice Cream

Customer since 2012: Easy to use, excellent features, poor customer service. Be careful...

Pros

This system is highly customizable and easy to use. Reports are excellent and Revel does a nice job of continuously updating the backend to be more useful. Keeping track of employee hours is easy and efficient.

Cons

We have been a customer since 2012 and Revel has changed the playing field: 1) Revel now charges more per terminal per month if you choose to not use their credit card processing service. This wasn't the case when we signed up. 2) We purchased 2 scales in 2012 and two more for a second location in 2014. Revel's updated system no longer supports these peripherals. Revel offered me a discount for replacement of these scales for ones that work. Not good enough! This same situation occurred earlier with printers which I had to repurchase. In addition to changing the playing field, the customer service is not good. Expect the system to go down at least 3 to 4 times a year when Apple upgrades their iOS. Revel has changed their business model. They are now in the business of credit card processing. I see this as a sign of a struggling business and would be concerned about their longevity. 3) Confusing payment structure.

Response from Revel Systems

Replied January 2018

Hi John, Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that there have been issues with your scales and our latest release. I am confident that the issue will be resolved and do apologize for the delay. I have escalated your case to our customer relations team and they will be sure to address any outstanding issues for you. You are always welcome to schedule a time to share your feedback with me at community@revelsystems.com. Happy to learn more about your experience. Regards, Sarah at Revel

Matt from Mr. Big Guns LLC

Total Disappoinment

I'd stay away from this system and this company. I'm a small business owner and I've spent more time trying to get Revel to fix their POS (point of sale) than I have running my own business. I will soon cut my losses and find an alternative solution. I promise, this company will drive you to extreme frustration. Finally, I recommend paying a little extra for a better Poiny of Sale system, you will find it's cheaper in the long run than trying to use Revel.

Pros

Very Powerful Database for retail store once you have all your prices and inventory entered. The POS is easy to use after (only after) set up.

Cons

1. Despite previous positive reviews for customer service, they are terrible! They are great for explaining how to use the product, they are terrible for fixing their own product! 2. ALSO, DO NOT USE FOR E-COMMERCE! The web order feature (e-commerce) is useless and looks even worse. Prepare to explain your problem repeatedly when using support. You will be transferred from one tier of support to the next. There's at least 3 tiers of support and they don't provide passdown info between support tiers. I tried the web order function, paid for it and found the shipping feature was flawed right before I took the website live. After 3-4 weeks of constantly repeating myself (explaining the problem) they said the problem would be fixed with the next update. They agreed to refund me for 1 month of the web order subscription. A few weeks later I called to check on the refund, I found out I was still enrolled and the promised refund has changed to a credit for a future month of the web order subscription. 3. Finally, Revel uses TLS 1.0 protocol. My credit card processor deemed this obsolete, and is going to charge me a monthly fee until they update the program. Or, I can complete a risk mitigation questionnaire and the fees will be waived as long as the program is updated by June 2018. The questions on the form are far beyond my computer/programming knowledge so I have to request support from Revel. I'm now at tier 2, explained my problem twice and still don't have any help. 4. If you are buying an existing business that uses Revel, you cannot transfer info from one revel account to another. They may tell you it can be done, I assure you they do not have the means to do it. You will find yourself starting over from scratch. As a small business, this setback was extremely costly in terms of man hours required to restart.

Meghan from The Hospitality Sweet

Industry: Restaurants

Extremely overpriced fees and disappointing system!

Pros

It looks nice and sleek on the counter. The actual POS is pretty straight forward after training and most employees caught on quickly.

Cons

Where to start?? First, the monthly fees are insane considering the poor quality of the product and customer service. For two locations and three terminals, we paid fees to Revel each month. We've experienced a lot of equipment issues (tickets not printing to kitchen, card swipe goes down, mobile unit won't connect and allow orders to be taken, etc) oftentimes in the middle of a lunch rush. We have at least 2 customers every single day tell us that the online ordering isn't working. The system will look like it took their order (and they'll see pending charges on their cards), but they'll either get an error message or nothing at all. We often have people show up to pick up the order they placed online only to realize that it never came through on our system, but Revel still posts the charges as pending and it doesn't drop off the card for 3 days....not a fun thing to tell customers! We have not had a great experience with customer service, and often end up on the phone for over an hour (again, often during a lunch rush). We've had several instances where no one was ever able to answer our issue. Our accountants (who exclusively do restaurants) have found errors in reports (including tax reports for the day) multiple times. Overall, this system just doesn't live up to the quality that should come with such high fees. I called and emailed to put in our notice of cancellation at the end of our 18-month contract (they require 30 days, I put in my written notice 60 days, since their team hasn't been super responsive), I at first would get no response. When I finally did they told me that I couldn't put in my request until 30 days, which just seemed odd to me.

Response from Sarah

Replied August 2017

Hi Meghan, I know we have already spoken over the phone about this, but I do apologize for your experience. It sounds like you encountered a known issue with the Online Ordering that has since been fixed. I apologize as I know how frustrating that can be when you are in the midst of service. We do appreciate your feedback and, again, apologize that we weren't able to work on a resolution for you sooner. Best regards, Sarah, Community Manager at Revel

Justin from Haisma Design

Industry: Furniture

100% Fail - Waste of Valuable Time and Money

Long and short, our experience with the Revel systems POS (our intent is to use it in Retail application) has been a nightmare. The problems started early on in being sold hardware components that were not designed to work in the way we needed to utilize them - despite us being very detailed in what we needed - and despite the Sales reps assurances they would (specifically the barcode scanners and printers). We purchased our system in Mid-March but due to delays in the build-out of our store front and arrival of inventory components we were not actually able to begin the on-boarding/product and inventory load until Mid-May and that's when things turned awful. Our initial product information load seemed to go well, however when we attempted to load the corresponding inventory via the method instructed it would not load. Come to find out we were given incorrect instructions and fields/information that should have been on the load sheet were not there. That issue began 5/15 and was finally resolved 5/17. On 5/16 another set of issues started during the attempt at setting up our receipt with logo, company info, etc (figured we'd do that while the inventory thing got figured out. Wrong!) That was finally figured out and resolved by our onboard rep on 5/17 at the end of the day... with zero explanation as to what the issue was and if it could happen again. Since we were finally able to go ahead and get the first phase of products/inventory info loaded (our onboard rep did it for us because no matter what or how we tried it was unsuccessful) we scheduled our POS front end training on 5/19 - which also was a bust because we learned that none of our printers were correctly configured before our system was sent. This also stalled us from being able to barcode the items in the store until 5/26 when that issue was finally resolved with one of our barcode printers and the receipt printer (it is now 6/15 and the second printer for our warehouse still hasn't been configured... we have literally been dealing with daily issues with the backend system and front end system all this time and haven't even been able to address that yet). Other issues that occurred (that are now resolved but no one can explain the how or why it happened, or will it happen again?) where the backend system spontaneously dumped my login information on 6/7. Our rep basically had to reset me up (2 more days down). Thought we were finally good... got to the actual POS and discovered that the login PINs for myself and 3 of our employees did not work (despite the 3 employees info being present and correct in the backend - my information erased again and defaulted to a generic 1234). Got that sorted a couple days later. This weeks issue has been with the integration to Quick Books online. The POS is sending inaccurate info to QBO - and of course, no one can tell us why, or worse, how to correct it. One generally assumes that in business accurate financial reporting is kind of a thing... I mean Revel hasn't had a problem charging us the monthly fee all this time and I'm sure they track that somewhere, right? Naturally in the month from 5/15 to today, 6/15, we finally hit our limit and requested information on returning the system (being willing to take the risk of being without a POS system at our opening and just processing manually through QBO). Our onboard rep passed us on to Client Relations and a few days later we finally get a generic, and frankly offensive, email from customer rep that in no way acknowledged our issues and frustrations - but instead had a copy of our Revel contact attached. I assume the point was to put it out there that Revel only has a 30 day return policy (keep in mind rep didn't say that in his email... he pretty much implied "figure it out for yourself"). Of course, since we bought our system in March we are well beyond the 30 day limit. I really could keep going. I am just shy of now 100 emails back and forth about issue, after issue, after issue - none of which truly got any clear resolution or explanation. I'll save you some time. Do not buy this system. Its bad, the customer support is worse, and like us some of you will likely end up tossing a system in the storage room and going to another platform.

Cons

Please see comments for a play by play and definitely look to other systems (the more I look into this, the more negative reviews I am finding that are sadly similar to our own).

Margaret from YAO Company

No Customer Service Department only a Customer Retention Department!

Sorely disappointed in this millenial run company. No sense of understanding of customer loyalty. When I showed up in person at their offices in San Francisco, it was lunch time and the elevators were a turnstile of delivery people bringing in "take out" food to the office. I was treated very poorly when met by the Director of Sales who tried to just pawn off my issue "until Monday". Here were are suffering from a massive company wide fiasco costing us many man hours and challenges serving our customers when these guys are just sitting around enjoying their venture capital take outs for lunch. Kinda hard to take when you're working your ass off 3 states away with no breaks and no one will even respond/acknowledge the massive mistake made by their company. We were finally told today that they do not even have a customer service/care department...only a customer retention department that they self described as the department for customers considering leaving. YES, we said...that's who we need to talk to (still at 5pm...no contact for this mysterious department provided). Creating an exit plan...Such a bummer. Had such high hopes for this product. Too bad the people behind the scenes totally stink.

Pros

Syncs for us seamlessly with Quickbooks online Can handle large inventory Lots of options for discounts and sales and alternative pricing and grouping Love putting the orders together on on iPad and closing it out at the register on another.

Cons

Terrible, horrible, god awful customer service. The tech people are great at helping do a lot of things by phone; however when we did an update after a big fiasco with trying to resync iPads to printers and iPads to swipers, etc, we find out that our scale that we purchased through Revel for more cost when it was only worth less, we were told is no longer supported...this only 2 years after purchase. Sadly, we are so immersed in their system at present that we will have to purchase the new scale that they are supporting. We received zero notification that they were discontinuing the scale. The scale is a massive factor in our use of revel as 2/3 of our inventory is measured by grams. We have received run around after run around by phone, by email AND...even when I showed up at their office in San Francisco.

Craig from Santa Barbara Merchant Services Inc

Industry: Restaurants

Revel Systems for Table Service Lacks VERY VERY VERY Basic Tip Report for Servers

Before you buy Revel ask the sales rep to try to print a basic tip report with a server log in prior to batching out at the end of the day. It's not currently possible unless you give your server full financial access.

Pros

Revel Systems syncs with Quickbooks better than any other system I'm aware of. They most often sell the equipment with higher-end networking and wireless access points such as Meraki or Ubiquiti whereas others use residential Netgear, Linksys, or TP Link which jeopardizes the stability of using a tablet as your POS.

Cons

This oversight by Revel is ridiculous. However, are you table service and do you need your servers or other employees to take credit card tips out of the cash drawer at the end of their shift? Or leave a receipt in the drawer of how much they took out? If so it's not currently possible with Revision 2.22.9-61 or below for a server to print a basic tip report (unless you give them full financial access which includes labor rates for all other employees.). The iPad assigns the tip to whoever pays out the ticket when the customer leaves. So if your host uses his or her pin to close the ticket and the customer adds a tip that ticket is then assigned to the host rather than the waiter or waitress that helped them on the front end of revel. Furthermore, the manager can't even see a server's tips to pay out the credit card tips accurately from iPad until he or she has batched out at the end of the day. The only solution after two years of trying to remedy this situation for CajunKitchenCafe.com is to pull the report from a laptap on the backend after the point of sale has been batched at the end of the day or put the credit card tips on the employees paycheck which is a huge change to culture for most restaurants that have been in business for as long as Cajun Kitchen.

Shawn from Red House Advertising and Marketing

REVEL Systems Failed My Client

I am hoping to resolve the current issue between Revel and the organization Rethreaded. This nonprofit made a calculated move to switch to Revel with promises your sales team was unable to deliver. I hope, for the future of Rethreaded and Revel, that this matter can be resolved. I would truly like to turn this into a beautiful PR story and not PR nightmare. Back in August, after a meeting with Rethreaded concerning their POS and CRM needs, I contacted QuickBooks looking for an integrated system to work with QuickBooks, while serving as a POS, and an ecommerce solution. QuickBooks suggested Revel be the solution to meet Rethreaded’s needs and believed because of Rethreaded’s nonprofit mission, working directly with Revel would prove to be a great fit. When I first contacted QuickBooks about their system options, they gave a quote to me which I shared with Revel. I asked for Revel to match or beat that quote. I was assured it could be done. I reached out to Revel looking to discuss my project and was connected with a sales representative. I explained to him what my most important needs were and forwarded him the quote from QuickBooks. These needs were clearly explained to be: complete integration to QuickBooks with the ability to track multiples sales channels (retail, wholesale, corporate sales, home parties, warehouse events, outside events, and ecommerce) with a total of 9 POS systems with one being stationary and eight working in a retail environment, the option to go off-site and ring up transactions via the Verizon mobile network, tracking inventory to the ‘ingredient’ level, and a CRM system that would allow us to track a person from becoming a customer and also be potentially a volunteer, donor, vendor, or employee. This was key – tracking the same person and marketed to in each role specifically. I also soon found out the promise of different sales channels would be a sticking point in Rethreaded’s relationship with Revel. The sales rep informed me that he was at the annual Revel Conference and would work directly with his supervisor to create a solution package that would fit my needs. I was always clear with them about Rethreaded and in an email on September 9th, “Allow me to put it like this, the reason we would agree to pay for you to install the system is my client felt like you cared about them and to create an amazing PR story for our local news (which has already agreed to cover the story).” Revel promised to exceed our expectations. After several weeks of going back and forth with questions and concerns regarding the Revel platform meeting all of our needs, they shared with us that Revel would be able to exceed all of our requirements. Furthermore, they shared that if we switched to Intuit credit card processing, Rethreaded would qualify for a rebate through Intuit that would cover almost half of our Revel conversion costs. On September 12th, He emailed me the Terms and Conditions of the Intuit Cash Back Offer. We went back and forth throughout the month of September concerning pricing, even though I was originally told my quote from Intuit could be met. I even went as far to pass along monthly invoice sent to Rethreaded. Rethreaded wanted to switch their system for improved features at a fair cost because of their nonprofit status. Revel seemed like a company full of solutions. Another solution presented was in the installation of the system. After they expressed to me that Revel was the number one POS system in retail locations, together we, saw the opportunity to train Rethreaded survivors to become experts on Revel’s front-end management system. This would allow them to further grow their career skill set and offer a better future. This was a key selling point of going with Revel, rather than building a proprietary system. Even terminology started changing. It is important to note that during the sales process, I kept referring to our POS systems as individual POS systems. He kept referring to them as order takers. My response was I am not looking at order takers but a POS system. He indicated that an order taker and a POS were the same system. The truth that came out was the systems were in fact different. In text message conversations and phone conversations, I kept redirecting Justin to understand that we wanted one stationary POS and eight mobile POS, the contract kept changing with me needing to clarify again and again. He quoted the entire package, including cases, and when I started reading the specifics I noticed cases were missing. He then reverted it back to the original, if I had been diligent my client would have suffered. I was led to believe that I would save time, effort, and money if I hired Revel for the installation and training. Furthermore, he informed me that it would be much easier if we paid an additional fee to have Revel do the complete install and training. They proposed that it would save time on the install which would reduce my budget cost and that by being trained by a Revel professional, the Rethreaded organization would have the ability to go live the same day. To conclude our sales process, the final step was the approval by the executive board of Rethreaded. The board requested a meeting with Revel’s representatives, in which they would give a complete demo and answer questions/concerns about Rethreaded’s workflow and Revel’s ability to meet those needs. During that call, we went through a number of questions. I left the meeting feeling confident and even emailed them after the meeting saying, “I feel the meeting was very productive and answered all of Rethreaded’s questions…” The Board meeting with them supposedly answered our questions. Here are some issues we went through during the meeting: Jason asked if Revel would be able to group products into either sales channels or product groups. He responded that, yes, Revel supports this with the option to build classes of people to make everything more specific. He further stated that automated reports would be emailed daily with the ability to track by sales channel and product group. The sales channels were defined as retail, wholesale, corporate sales, home parties, warehouse events, outside events, and ecommerce. We were also informed that commissions could be recorded on a transaction by transaction basis driven by who was logged into the device. Retail channels for Rethreaded were discussed. Once again (and without any reference to a price change), myself and he with the Board were assured a wholesale, retail, home channel, and any other sales channel would be possible. We were told directly by him that the person ringing in a transaction would simply need to login by event type. These tasks can only be achieved by having multiple establishments which equates to your Enterprise package. This price difference was never discussed. We were led to believe it was all included in what we were getting. Customer tracking translates to funding for Rethreaded. As mentioned earlier, Jason and the Board were also adamant that customers needed to be categorized properly. Rethreaded needed to assign customers to the right categories. Often the same person belongs to multiple groups whether they be a customer, volunteer, employee, or a donor. If not, the cost of switching systems would not provide enough return on investment to Rethreaded. As a nonprofit, every single dollar they make can be directly translated to getting women out of sex trafficking. For some clients what may be a lost sale or commission to Rethreaded could mean a lost opportunity to employ another woman or help a person get out of the trade. Rethreaded was never made aware of the additional costs of an Enterprise system. Finally, they led us to believe these capabilities were in the package we were purchasing and never indicating there would be an additional cost beyond the initial installation. The entire call led us to believe that the Revel representative coming to the training would teach us the CRM. Jason asked about the ability to scan barcodes, he responded that the M-Tab reader had the Bluetooth scanning capability built-in. Upon receiving the M-Tab scanner, we were sent scanners that did not have the built-in capability for barcode reading. **Simply put, this was one of many times your company dropped the ball.** I was led to believe the Revel Training Expert would be my answer to every installation and training concern. His overall answer to getting everything setup the way we asked was, “That is why you are hiring the Revel expert for training.” Myself, the CEO of my company, the Board all believed that the Revel Installation would be the situation where all of our issues were solved. If it fell under the umbrella of installation or training, the on-site Revel installer would handle all of the setup issues. After that meeting, Rethreaded and I had complete confidence that Revel was the solution for us. We went into the final approvals of hardware and service packages. During this time of looking at the hardware, Justin had failed to include all items that were originally quoted to us by QuickBooks. When He sent over the final quote, he had removed several of the M-tab readers and cases. In our email on September 28th, he acknowledged his mistake and included the missing hardware. During our sales process, several times, I had to point he back to our first conversation and the quote I originally sent from QuickBooks. Throughout the process, it seemed like he was trying to upcharge me past what I had been originally quoted. (On a personal level I appreciated the true care extended to us during Hurricane Matthew as the path of the hurricane went right through Jacksonville). It was only my diligence on pricing that saved Rethreaded, a nonprofit organization, unwarranted expenses. When I received the final quote on September 28th, I directly asked him how much the shipping costs would be and made him aware again that Rethreaded was a nonprofit business that is not charged tax. He responded that shipping would be high. I expressed this was a high price but recognized the necessity of accepting. I found out days later that Revel had charged me the tax and clumped it into one fee as a shipping fee. Once it was discovered, I was credited back the taxable fees (after several emails) and I was charged the correct shipping amount. **Once again, this shows your company trying to make another dollar and dropping the ball.** The onboarding process was not made clear. Upon signing our agreements, I received an avalanche of emails for an onboarding process. After reviewing the avalanche of emails, I sent him an email and spoke with him on or about October 18th, stating that if I followed everything requested in the emails for onboarding, then I saw no need for Revel to come and do the install and wanted to go about getting a refund for the installation and training as I felt I could do it myself. I requested a documentation that clearly outlined what came with the install, I did not receive this for two days. I also requested a meeting with them regarding cancelling the install and getting a refund. During that call, I was informed by them to do my best in completing the initial 8 steps of the onboarding. Anything else, I was assured would be completed by Revel’s installation team. They assured me the best option was to have an installer from the Revel team come out and still save me the headache the install. I was sent the wrong routers and also iPad minis which I had to ship at my cost. Once I got the equipment, he also contacted me to inform me that he realized that the network routers he originally sent to run our Revel system was not adequate to run our Revel system. Having to send additional equipment **Once again dropping the ball showing another mistake that was made by your sales team.** Rodrigo was essential in assisting with installation, yet he still couldn’t meet the promised timeline. In addition to the training, I once again brought up my concern about creating the sales order process, the ingredients, and how that would be set up as well as the CRM. I was reassured that the Revel training and installation team would handle all of that and do a superior job. Upon the day of installation, I had the privilege of meeting with Rodrigo and quickly discovering that if I had done the whole onboard process that my system would have already been set up and the only thing he would have had to do is train me. Instead of doing the entire process, I was assured by them to relax and the day of the install would go smoothly. On the day of the install this was quickly found not to be true. After going through the install with Rodrigo, it confirmed that if I had done the entire onboarding process I would have not have needed to pay for the install or training. Furthermore, after working throughout the day with Rodrigo, at several different points of the install, he informed us that Revel would not be able to do key functionality that we had requested – like sales channels. He stated that we would have to have additional establishments and I would need to talk with my sales reps about how to activate those establishments. This was the main reason we selected Revel and decided to change systems at all. Upon receiving the hardware, I left everything in the box for the day of the install. I only pulled out the main iPad so I could complete the minimum necessary steps for onboarding advised by them. The day of the install, I brought the equipment and Rodrigo opened the box. Rodrigo led me to believe we were given one extra M-tab and case.TI informed him of the extra equipment only to be told by Rodrigo later, that he had made a mistake, it was not extra equipment. It was the actual M-tab and case that would hold the iPad currently running Rethreaded’s current POS system, Vend. Rodrigo can confirm that I had no extra equipment so at this point in time, we demand that invoice #210571 for immediately removed from our account. During the day of the install, all we could accomplish was the install and a 50% training on the backend. Nothing was trained on the front end, nor was the system able to go live as promised during the whole sales process. **Once again dropping the ball showing another mistake of your sales team.** The webinar training provided by Rodrigo should not be charged to my account. Rodrigo went over and beyond trying to resolve all of the issues that the sales reps had created. I am grateful for his offer and kindness but it still did not meet what was offered/promised during the sales process. In addition, Rodrigo did a front-end training via webinar which we documented and used to create a custom training document for Rethreaded [click the link for the document]. This webinar training should not be a charged as a part of the install and training because this is offered for free to anyone signing up for Revel (as it was not done at Rethreaded’s location). When I returned hardware sent to me, I did not receive the refund in a timely manner. I still don’t have the money back. He sent us the incorrect iPad Minis. He was completely aware and directly told that these iPads would need mobile data capability, preferably with Verizon capability. Instead he sent us the Wi-Fi only iPad Minis. In the replacement process of the iPad Minis, he requested for us to return the wrong ones and that I would be charged for the new ones in the meantime. I hesitated to do this because I felt that there was no need for the duplicate charge. I paid out of my own pocket to ship it, expedite it, insure it, and for signature confirmation. Upon delivery, I did not receive the refund as promised. In fact, the refund only started because I followed through on tracking and determined the package had been delivered. Your company signed for the unopened products on November 9th. On November 17th, I was told by him that we would get our refund in three to five days. By November 25th, I had been handed off to a brand-new person who was then telling me I would need to wait an additional 3-5 business days. I escalated the issue with my bank and they gave Revel a full week to resolve the matter. As of today, the matter has yet to be resolved.**Someone dropped the ball on this one.** QuickBooks ProAdvisors could not perform what was promised to be by Revel. Meaning, what I was promised was not possible. After the install and training was complete, I contacted my sales rep asking him about setting up additional establishments or how to clearly define my sales channels. My exact words as of November 15th were “I shared my concerns several times during the sales processes that Revel sounded good but I was very concerned that it wouldn’t be able to be configured to our needs…only to have every objective overcome by him or yourself reassuring me Revel was the answer for our needs.” Rethreaded never would have switched if different sales channels weren’t included. I was informed by both of them that my QuickBooks expert would have to configure that on the QuickBooks side. I hired QuickBooks Certified professional and ProAdvisor. During her time of setting up the proper mapping for QuickBooks, she clearly shared with me that there is no way to set up sales channels because there were no sales channels set up by Revel as originally requested. He directed us to work directly with Revel’s QuickBooks specialist. We tried for several hours while my own expert was on site and working with Revel’s team – with no success. At that point, I needed to confirm my beliefs that the only way that the sales channels could be created is through establishments. Establishments are only offered in the Enterprise package. An additional QuickBooks ProAdvisor confirmed Revel could not deliver as promised without a considerable price hike. To confirm I had set up everything properly and integrated Revel, we contacted advanced QuickBooks ProAdvisor and Certified Revel POS Consultant. He confirmed that I was completely correct and that the only way I could establish sales channels were through additional establishments and that yes this was an Enterprise feature. He agreed this should not be an enterprise feature considering this is the same business, same tax ID, and same entity just to be able to track all of the sales channels. I shared all of the details I had gone through with the sales process as well as what the installation was to do, he then advised me that I was completely on the right track and this wasn’t the first time he had seen a Revel install go the wrong direction because of the sales rep giving misleading information. Rethreaded was misled during the sales process. Upon confirming my discovery, I reached out to them to bring it to their attention that I had been misled during the sales process and that I confidently believe Revel should provide the enterprise service offering at no additional cost. I believe a number of mistakes were made by him, not because of his abilities as a sales person, but because of his inexperience with your product. When these mistakes were detected, he backpedaled on his terms. The only reason I continue to work through this process is because his ability as a sales representative has been phenomenal. He was a sales representative that didn’t understand this product and had a pushy sales manager, like a used car salesman, leading him in the wrong direction. I would like to offer the following solution to this issue: I can reconcile this issue right away, as long as M-tab scanners can be exchanged for a Bluetooth capable option and Rethreaded is offered 18 months of the Enterprise plan. I formally request that for the life of the 18-month contract, that the enterprise functionality, or the ability to add additional establishments, is given to Rethreaded at no additional costs – under the condition that it is still run under the same tax ID and reseller’s certificate. This would not be a condition if Rethreaded opened an additional sales location. I request CEO of Reve to meet with the women of Rethreaded either in person or via video chat to speak about the trials, tribulations, and successes of being a woman-owned business and the success she’s had in the past three years. All would be to give hope to the survivors that they can achieve whatever their hopes or dreams may be. As mentioned many times via email and by phone, Revel was of great interest to us not only for their product offerings but for their woman-owned business status. This serves as an inspiration for Rethreaded’s survivors. I know this would be an advantageous meeting for both Rethreaded and Revel. In the event that my request cannot be met, we would like a full refund for every penny spent with Revel to include: hardware, software, training, installation, shipping, and any additional fees incurred by my company of loss of time or efforts. REVEL HAS FAILED TO AGRRE TO FAIR TERMS AND NOW WON"T ACCEPT A REFUND. Keep in mind Revel dragged out the 30 day refund period to defraud be out of the ability to exercise my right to a refund.

Pros

There aren't any pros.

Cons

Misleading sales and lack of customer service.

Column from United Decorating

Industry: Building Materials

Stay away this program

We are existing Revel System customer but I think our 2 year relationship is going to be an end. Changing a POS system is not simple but we still choose to leave must have our reasons. I just want to share my experiences with everyone who might consider marry to them. 1. We were told from their sale rep the QuickBooks integration will 100% work for Canadian customer because of this reason we signed off the deal, however we don't have a chance to test the integration because it was still under development, we should wait till the launch but we can't wait because we need a new system to support our grow. We did reconfirm the QB compatibility again and again so we don't think there will be a problem. We got everything setup and running, about few months later the QuickBooks Integration finally launched but they told us this feature strictly for US customer only?! This case only escalated to their sales team lead and they refused to go further higher, you have no easy way to reach their upper management team unfortunately we dun have any recording or email for the proof, they only offer a free month to settle the case. They would guarantee you everything at the beginning and once you in everything is just too late, we have learned a lesson. 2. We are not pleased and disappointed on how Revel handle system upgrade, almost every single incident causes us problem and certain level of business impact, we need to bend or change our business model/process to fit these updates. Revel introduce new feature but at the same time take away the old feature immediately, can you imagine how much trouble causing? For example we never had an option call “Credit Limit”, after the latest mandatory POS upgrade on iPad (this is another matter will mention after), we are forced to commit the new changes, we can no longer take "House Account" credit payment until we enable the "Credit Limit" option inside customer, but this is not the major problem, I am so shocking they don't provide a batch upload method, instead we are instructed to make this change inside each customer one by one, we have thousands of customers are on account. This is so ridiculous but why they can't just keep thing simple? 3. The Revel POS consist by two pieces, the frontend (iPad) and the backend (web management). Periodically they roll out major upgrade (notified) or small updates (silence) at the backend and then you must follow their schedule to download and re-install the new iPad App manually during off business hour to match your backend version, otherwise your iPad POS will not function properly 4. They have very slow development, usually the iOS App should be prepared and updated on device before the new iOS launch, but Revel work reversely, they will tell you DO NOT upgrade your iPad iOS Software whenever until they ready. They need to understand you cannot disable system update on iPad, until some point you will get the software update reminder popup crazy everyday on the iPad and you must choose "remind me/install later" to bypass but couple times my staffs by accidently hit the wrong button and fire up the software update, then the till will be out of service until we reach Revel support for fix. I cannot blame on my staffs in this case, Revel have to do something to avoid this to happen. 4. Support - their level 1 support is useless, even level 2 not really helpful, the most words I have heard are "Sorry" or "This is the system design, nothing we can do". I don’t need a sorry. I have a strong feeling their development teams make whatever changes they want without thinking the impacts would brought up to the customers. 5. The most funniest thing is Revel have a Voice of Customer team to hear your feedback, this is cool, they do reach out you to hear your problems or complaints but limited to listen only! They don't follow up anymore, I have one phone conservation and one email both sink into the deep sea, sigh* Good luck!

Response from Sarah

Replied November 2016

Hi Column, Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that the experience has been a frustrating one. I will share your input with our leadership and product team. Regards, Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Emily from Preservation Hall

Full of Glitches

We've been with Revel for about 8 months now. I am on the phone with customer support weekly, nearly daily. Our initial integration with Quickbooks was not well supported by their staff and eventually I had to just teach myself how to get the system set up and integrated. We have constantly had issues that when I contact customer service they tell me they don't know why it happened and it must be a glitch in the software. My credit card machine broke after 7 months and Revel could not figure out how to fix it so I called the manufacturer and they told me it was a software issue. Revel's solution was to trade in for a new one, rather than try to figure out what the software issue was. The first customer service agent I spoke to did not even have the manual for the pin pad that I was using. Multiple times Revel has stopped speaking to Quickbooks without warning and our data has not been pushed through as it should. I've been told that the exchange feature that is built in to the front end of the system does not actually work and so we should stop using it and do a work around so that our entries into Quickbooks will be correct. My completed invoices have gotten stuck between the Ipad and the back office and the payments have therefore not been received into Quickbooks until I discovered the problem. Revel has multiple times overtaken Quickbooks and changed the vendor information in Quickbooks. After multiple phone calls to customer support for a single issue I've eventually been told that my system is out of date and that's what's causing the problem, but it was never brought up in initial phone calls. In the same vein, there is no indication from Revel that I should update the system. In fact for the last update, the app told me that it was the most up to date, but finally on the back end of Revel there was a warning that I needed to update or my system would be obsolete. In fact I was running the most up to date version of the app, but what needed to be done was to download an entirely new app-that was not made clear in Revel's warning, I just happened to figure it out myself. Furthermore, had I not happened to log into Revel's back end on that particular day, I would not have known that I was required to update. One day the back office stopped sending our daily emailed reports. When I spoke to customer support they told me that it was because the email addresses where the report was sent were separated by commas and not semi-colons. When I mentioned that the commas had been working for 7 months they told me that it was due to an update on their back end that now required semi-colons. When asked how I was supposed to know that and change it I was told that it had been a "known issue" for over a month and that some businesses had a problem and some didn't so they didn't let customers know about the issue. With all the issues I've had, I've never been able to speak to a supervisor or had any kind of conciliatory gesture like a reduced price made for me and in fact had to pay shipping to and from returning my credit card machine. When I speak to customer service about issues related to Quickbooks integration, they are not trained on Quickbooks so generally cannot help me. Overall the system is extremely glitchy and inconsistent. It cannot be counted on to work the same way from day to day.

Pros

-When it works it is more robust and better at speaking to Quickbooks than any other POS systems that we've used.

Cons

There are many, many issues that I can't explain because it works fine one day and not at all the next, with no reason. -Past POS companies have emailed me monthly updates about changes that are coming and information about updating the app or problems that have been discovered. Revel does no such thing.

Response from Sarah

Replied November 2016

Hi Emily, I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced frustration with the QuickBooks integration. I've looked into your support ticket history and it looks like support has resolved your most recent ticket. Additionally, in reviewing your QuickBooks support history with a QB Support Specialist, it appears that our sync has paused most frequently following deletion or removal of QuickBooks records, which the system references. This would be true with any accounting and point-of-sale integration and we recommend that customers do not delete Revel created accounts or records. In an effort to resolve this, our next release will include an enhancement where Revel and QuickBooks notify each other of deleted records to prevent syncing issues. We send emails alerting customers about coming updates and features and it may be that you've accidentally unsubscribed. I've asked our Client Relations team to reach out to you to resolve any outstanding issues and provide you with additional customer service. Thank you for your feedback. Regards, Sarah, Community Manager, Revel Systems

Krika from Sophia Sunflower Salon, Inc

Not for salon use

Had trouble from the start wrong equipment and printer sent . Now the program does not like what I was told . Can even get my appointments when clients make them. I have dealt endless hours with support I probably have deleted and re added the software over 25 times . Called in over 75 times . Rebooted over 35 times . Spoke with customer support over 75 hours . Some seem like they know it's not functional for a salon but nothing they can do . It's sad . But I figure I'm gonna have to leave cause being a single operation an an people make appts online and I don't even know is the worst and then you got to refresh and then still the client is not on the calendar .

Pros

I just like apple products and customers like the seamless integration with checking out . So this has nothing to do with software.

Cons

Limited and useless for a salon. Clients make an appointment and can only add one service. So when they come in they are like I wanted to add other stuff but couldn't . I do not get a confirmation when a client has scheduled an appointment online . The system is set up for food service / dining . Calendar system is the worst .

Response from Revel Systems

Replied July 2016

Hello Krika, Thank you for your review and feedback. I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with your system and I ensured that one of our Client Relations team has reached out to you. I hope that we can get things working more smoothly for your salon. Regards, Sarah M., Community Manager, Revel Systems

Joseph from Corkscrew Wine Shop

A solid system that works for me....

Overall I'm very happy with the product.

Pros

Great customer service techs, they are knowledgable and someone is always available. Easy to update products, expandability, gift card applications a good feature, and the reporting is excellent. Probably the best feature. It really helps with budgeting and menu decisions.

Cons

I found the inventory system to be lacking. It is very hard to set up and very time consuming. It would be nice for new customers to have the option of Revel entering all of their products and not just trying to transfer from a spreadsheet. There were many mistakes and I wound up having to create the entire product page myself.

timothy from Monkey Business Paddle Adventures

Industry: Sporting Goods

Poor billing practices after cancellation requested

I think it's overpriced and too time-consuming inputting modifiers and making changes to suit our business needs

Pros

I got to keep the really expensive iPad. My workers made a lot of money in overtime because of the time on the phone with customer support troubleshooting problems with the software.

Cons

As a business owner please do your due diligence and run from this company. After calling to stop the recurring billing from Revel and receiving a ticket 1245556, which stated it was being sent to billing department for cancellation. Revel continued to bill until i contacted them a second time. Their excuse of needing to speak to someone in client relations first before they would cancel the service. No indication when the 1st request to cancel was made that I had to call or speak to anyone else. They go on and on about company policy and how I don't see it their way. Someone calls to cancel a service, as a responsible business you cancel it, you don't leave the account open and continue to bill. If I say cancel, I don't need a sales guy calling from customer relations to offer incentives or to gather facts about his product or why am I leaving. Stop wasting customer's time having them speak to multiple people just to have you stop taking money out of their account month after month.

Response from Revel Systems

Replied October 2017

Hi Timothy, I do apologize for the inconvenience and added frustration. Revel has a policy in place to protect our customers which requires our customers to cancel their account with our customer service team specifically. Unfortunately, if they are unable to reach you, it can prolong the process. I have shared your feedback with our leadership team as we do understand that the experience has been a frustrating one - not what we want for our customers. Regards, Sarah, Community Manager at Revel

Revel is a smart choice for small business owners looking to use the iPad as their POS

A POS system that is reliable most of the time.

Pros

There are many POS providers out there today but I think Revel does a great job for small business owners. They utilize a familiar hardware (iPad) and turn it into a POS system that's easy to navigate. Being in a rush or training new employees can be a disaster if you have the wrong POS system but Revel does a great job with their easy layout.

Cons

Customer service can be disastrous at times, especially if your POS system is down during a rush. It doesn't happen frequently but it does happen so you should be aware of that before making your choice.

Response from Revel Systems

Replied May 2018

Hi There, Thank you so much for the review and feedback! We are sorry to hear that you do experience the occasional outage -- if you have additional info regarding an issue of that nature, we would love to hear it to address it with our agents and engineers. Please feel free to contact me at community@revelsystems.com. Kind Regards, Sarah, Customer Advocacy Manager at Revel

Lindsay from Cohen's Retreat

Great customer service

Pros

Once you get the hang of it, everything is very easy to navigate. Also customer support is great every time.

Cons

It would be nice if you could actually go in and delete an item, class, etc. and reenter it rather than making it inactive

Response from Sarah

Replied April 2018

Hi Lindsay, Thank you so much for the 5-stars all around! Happy to hear that Revel is working well for your store. In terms of the inactive product issue, I am happy to share your feedback with our product developers. From a technical standpoint, our product engineers would not want to ever delete any data as it is historical -- doing that would impact your historical data and would have a negative impact on your reporting. That said, I know that our product team is working on a way to make the inactive products less in the way. Thank you again for sharing your feedback on Software Advice! Cheers, Sarah, Customer Advocacy Manager at Revel

Mohammed from BU

Average system with disastrous relationship management staff

Pros

I liked the idea that it worked in iPad with KDS, reporting and QSR menu building options. I though it was good until I tried the alternatives.

Cons

Poor and complicated customers database Too many dropped connections between POS and KDS Poor inventory management Complicated app update process After using the system for 5 years I decided to cancel my subscription, they lock my account and didn't respond on time and asked me to pay an additional month ( because of their late reply) to get access to export my old reports, so be cautioned if you are using it now or planning to use it.

Philip from Richtree

Okay system

Had to downgrade 30+iPads once because a version released had to be taken off. Not a fun time.

Pros

Lots of things you can do with it. The modifier system is good, table options are fine, reporting system is fairly detailed.

Cons

Constant updates that aren’t fully optimized. Newer updates require newer iPads - we have about 50 older iPads from 4 years ago that need to be replaced. Clearly this system was designed for obselecense vs. Other POS systems. Updates always get confusing because the UI will change drastically and finding a certain function you’re used to by muscle memory will get frustrating.

Michael from Raven Cafe

Industry: Restaurants

Easy transition, easy to use, easy to modify.

Easier tracking of everything I need, easier to modify and easier to teach to the end user.

Pros

Everything I need all in one package, the back end reporting is spectacular and I can monitor and adjust from anywhere.

Cons

Sometimes the support is hard to understand. With a business open as many hours as I am, updating the system can be a chore, and require a over night shift to accomplish.

Response from Revel Systems

Replied July 2017

Hello Michael, Thank you for the high rating! Your feedback is much appreciated. I do understand that having to be closed for updating the POS can be challenging. You are able to remotely push changes to the POS. However, for updates to the Revel application, the iPads do need to power down and restart like most web-based applications. Ultimately, your POS is more secure because of it! Thank you again for the review! Cheers, Sarah, Community Manager at Revel