• Pros

• "Easy to figure out and work with. Awesome customer service and quick. You do not have to be technically advanced to work this program. Love the access to students, and parents and ease of access."

• "Great way of organizing the information necessary for a school to run smoothly. The interface is easy to use. There are many different reports to choose from."

• "Super user-friendly. Beautiful interface. Easy on teachers and admins. Partial sync with Google Classroom."

• Cons

• "I did not like how frequently it has pop ups. I like this program so I do not have many cons."

• "Entering in assignments one at a time. Tedious and repetitive. It would be easier if you could add multiple assignments that are pretty much the same but using different dates or points possible. "

• "With multiple people using this system, it can be changed too easily. I have entered info in the system and admis had changed it. It should be a closed document when that day is over."

Browse Alma Reviews

Theresa from Three Rivers School

Alma Software - The Superstar of Student Information Systems!

Pros

Alma's ease of use for all stakeholder is top notch. Teachers, parents, students and office personnel can easily navigate through this platform with minimal clicks, all the tools and information you need as a user are right there in front of you. You no longer have to click 4 layers deep to find what you are looking for. Alma also provides an easy way to communicate with all stakeholders. While in the gradebook you can email students and parents, eliminating the need to use a secondary software program. Along with a traditional grading program, Alma provides a true standards/competency based platform. This SIS has grown alongside the change in educational trends, meeting the needs of schools, transitioning their assessment/evaluation practices. Support services for Alma are outstanding. The customer support team is available in the matter of minutes, assisting and answering all questions one might have. The team is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and willing to take an idea you might suggest and make it happen! This support team makes transition/roll over periods stress free!

Cons

Alma's reporting section for state reports and other school information reports still needs to develop. As time goes on I believe Alma will continue to make improvements in this area. Reports are currently available in a a basic excel or csv files. These files work for what we need, but I feel this area could develop more in the future.

Barbara from Paisley School District

ALMA is what we were looking for....

This program has helped our students, staff, and parents utilize one student management system and use it to it's fullest potential. Each people group is able to pull from the system the vital information they need; some need more than others and the program has addressed all levels of information and all levels of user. That was important to us as we needed something that our staff could use to keep track of vital demographics, our teachers could use to track student grades and assignments and yet parents and students could log on and keep track of grades, test assessments and missing assignments. It meets the needs of every level.

Pros

This product is very easy to use, in real time and easy to understand. Novel users can open up this SIS program and navigate in order to find the information they are looking for.

Cons

We were one of the first public schools to sign on with ALMA, therefore we have evolved with the company. There have been some growing pains as we have evolved. The tech support teams have been gracious and very helpful in keeping us up to speed and rolling.

Reasons for Choosing Alma

It seemed very straight forward, easy to use, real-time, easy for our parents, students and staff to use.

Lauren from American Preparatory Academy - West Valley 1

Used for an elementary, has great services, could be improved.

Pros

I LOVE the customer service. They are always willing to work with us and help us adapt the program to what we need. I love the many different reporting features and how they each have a unique description that helps me find exactly what I need. I also like that I can star the reports I frequently use. I like that I am able to easily fill in grades in the "gradebook" tab, as well as having the opportunity to quickly report final grades at the end of the term. I am also happy with the ease in resetting a password for a user who has forgotten theirs as well as the quick ability to change a username. I appreciate that many users can have access to the same information (meaning a student and both of their parents can have their own accounts but access the same information on their child). I think overall I am mostly impressed with Alma's support team, how quickly and professionally they respond, how they will not let me leave the conversation until they are satisfied that all of my questions have been answered and my concerns resolved, and I love that they are constantly updating, making the website better, and then sending out an email with all of the updates and detailed instructions on how to utilize them.

Cons

I feel the website could be slightly more user friendly. There are often times it takes longer than I would like to access the information that I need (a lot of clicking through redundant tabs and not a lot of short cuts). I also wish it was easier for parents to understand the website. I don't like that there is no easy way for a parent to access a student's missing work, instead having to look through each class and assignment to see what has and has not been turned in. I also wish there was a way for us, as administrators and teachers, to see exactly what the parents see. It is hard to give advice and support to a parent when their screen looks different from mine; and I often don't know if they can see everything that I can, like all of the notes and assignment descriptions and what not. Otherwise, I am mostly happy with Alma.

Nick from Bennington-Rutland Supervisory Union

A solid Student SIS

They are a fantastic company with a bright future ahead of them. I'm happy to support them, enjoy using their product, and appreciate their customer service.

Pros

The main selling point from Alma was the ease of use. Out of all of the systems I've demoed and tried, it was easily the easiest to log in, poke around, and figure out how to do what I needed to do with minimal training. The second selling point is their customer service. Absolutely top notch. Their people are friendly, very responsive, and (most importantly) humans. I enjoy talking to them! I can usually get a response from a rep within minutes and even our teachers are welcome to message them with questions. The third selling point is that they are new system with a considerably active development cycle. We knew, going into it, that they wouldn't be as fully fleshed out as competitors like PowerSchool. That also means that it's easier for newer and fresher ideas to be implemented. It's not built on some old archaic database. Many of the features they do have that I use regularly such as the Report Card Builder and the Spreadsheet Data Editor/Report builder are very well done. We regularly get emails about new features being added and they listen to their customers when new features are requested. They've given us a lot of new toys since we first signed on with them. The final selling point is narwhals.

Cons

Probably the biggest issue that I face regularly is that their district level stuff isn't as fleshed out as I would like it to be. Many of the cool features that are available at each of the schools I manage can't be done in the district portion, aggregating all data and whatnot. I've been told they are working on that stuff though!

Reasons for Choosing Alma

PowerSchool had just released a new HTML5 interface. When asking for a sandbox demo, they couldn't even be bothered to show off their shiny new product. They gave us an old dinosaur of a sandbox that was not appealing at all. Alma whipped us up a sandbox no problem. Some of the fake names of students, teachers, and were hilarious references as well! Also, during the review process, we were using a Powerschool product known as Haiku. One day it went down. The page just wasn't loading. We emailed Powerschool for information and, just as a test, emailed Alma as well. Alma got back to us within 15 minutes. Powerschool got back to us about 2-3 days later. There were a number of other little things like that that swayed our decision.

E. from Grace Ev. Lutheran School

Great Support!

We have always had great success with Alma. They are supportive, friendly, and responsive.

Pros

The customer service reps are always kind and supportive. They are quick to respond and ready to help out. They even change their software based on suggestions.

Cons

There is nothing that I find to be the least liked about this software. They are always willing to help and update.

Reasons for Choosing Alma

Alma was more user-friendly and more cost-effective.

Justin from Icon Preparatory School

I Love Alma

My overall experience has been great. As I was the one pressured to find a SIS software program for our organization, I am glad that I decided to go with Alma. I didn't know what the outcome would be but I am happy in the decision that I made.

Pros

It is very user friendly. It has everything that our school needs. It is also syncs data with other programs we use within our school.

Cons

There is nothing I least like about the software. If there is a change I would like to see made, all I have to do is contact customer care and they will reach out to their engineers to see if its possible.

Reasons for Choosing Alma

I was given a particular budget that I had to work with and out of all the other programs I had looked at within the same price range as Alma, Alma's interface is what stuck out to me the most. Having had to make an important decision like this alone, I would say that I got lucky.

Ryan from Columbia Academy

Alma SIS- Big pros and small cons

EXCELLENT support. The resources provided are clear and helpful, and support staff are more responsive than any other product or service I have experienced. Absolute top notch support.

Pros

In addition to standard features of other applications, this product provides the ability to generate customized reports on just about any type of student data, and also automates the bulk of our report card procedure.

Cons

This product does not compile data well- eg. Student grades or attendance expressed as an overall average, rather than being listed by course. Additionally, while attendance by class records is supported, this data is of limited reporting functionality compared to attendance by day.

Kris from Arches Academy

Great value, excellent support

Our biggest benefit with Alma in the last two years was when they implemented their online enrollment process. At the time, we were considering moving from Alma to PowerSchool to gain this function as we were still doing paper application and enrollment. PowerSchool was quoting $20,000 to provide this, and that was a discounted price! Alma's online enrollment was brand new, but I spent a month going through their Study Guide to create our first process. The online support was a huge help! At the end of that 30 days, I was able to confidently recommend to our Head of School that we say "no" to PowerSchool and stick with Alma. This feature and many others have only improved since then. We appreciate that Alma charges us less and lets us create this and other processes for ourself.

Pros

The support for Alma is exceptional! As I am learning to use different features the Help guides & live support answer all my needs in a timely manner. I brag on the Alma support to other companies who are not as helpful. I also appreciate how Alma listens to my suggestions for improvements. In the almost two years I have used the product, I have seen many of the features I have asked for being implemented. I get a regular email (weekly or bi monthly) that updates me on new features and almost every time, there is something there that I have been wanting. You've got to love a company that listens to and responds to its customers.

Cons

Alma has added many features that I didn't even know I wanted - thank you! The only feature they do not yet have is a way to accept and charge for payments. We can track financial info on Alma, but cannot have it accept funds. That would be a huge thing for us because we could eliminate using a separate program for this feature - we actually use two: MySchool and TADS.

Cost mostly.

Ashley from Berkeley International School

A Great SIS - and Getting Better

Our school has tried several different solutions for grading and record keeping, and Alma is by far the best we have encountered. We tried Power School (a user-unfriendly dinosaur) and internally developed software (effective but too labor-intensive and time consuming to develop and maintain), and Alma is far superior to both. I really cannot recommend Alma highly enough.

Pros

The best thing abour Alma is its ease of use. In addition, it has one of the most professional and responsive customer support departments I have ever encountered in any product or industry.

Cons

It does not yet have all of the functionality that we would like, particularly in the area of recording curriculum, but since we adopted it three years ago they have regulerly added new features and improved the functionality of what was already there. I really do believe that in short order they will address curriculum within the program, and at that point every major use we have for an SIS would be covered.

See above.

Jonathan from St. Peter's HS/JH

A solid program with good support that currently lacks a few features.

My overall experience with Alma has been very positive. I prefer this program to any other SIS that I have used.

Pros

Alma is very easy to use, even for those that are not particularly proficient with technology. It's functionality is improved from other SIS programs I have used in the past (Progressbook and Power School). As an administrator, I have far more control to make changes and adjustments that fit my staff and students. The customer support team is also very helpful and responsive.

Cons

There are some features that are missing. We have requested GPA-based grade calculation and some additions to transcripts that have not yet been implemented. However, several other features that we have requested have been implemented over the past two years.

Kenneth from Wilmington Area School District

A flexible and responsive product. Unbelievably effective and efficient.

We have reduced our printing costs, improved communication with parents, and successfully submitted our PIMS state reports. Communication with Alma has been great! The online resources and chat feature are very effective. Chat is answered within 10 minutes, often in less time. They have been responsive to our needs. Feedback from the teachers about their use of Alma has been very positive.

Pros

The user interface is very intuitive. Everything is where one would expect it to be within the program. Migration to Alma from our previous SIS was so straight forward and seamless that I was not sure the SIS was going to be ready on schedule. It was ready on schedule and very few issues have been encountered. Issuing digital report cards is very easy and our parents love it. We also communicate with our parents on a regular basis by using the email feature in Alma. Parents also have expressed satisfaction with the parent portal for checking their student's grades. Teachers find it very easy to use the gradebook.

Cons

Any concerns/needs we have expressed to Alma have resulted in instant inquiry and potential solutions.

Reasons for Choosing Alma

We were impressed with Alma's staff and level of communication that we received. The product is intuitive and rectified the shortcomings of our previous SIS. And we liked the Alma socks.

James from Tokyo YMCA International School

GETALMA for International Schools

I’m very satisfied with the overall performance of GetAlma, and I highly recommend it!

Pros

1) The features that where the most impactful: -Attendance and Report Cards 2.) Is the product easy to use? -The learning curve was a little steep in the beginning, but because of fantastic customer support, all concerns were quickly answered and solutions were given/suggested that solved the problems. 3.) Was the integration with your existing business processes easy? -Teachers found it easy to use overall.

Cons

1.) Are there features you feel are missing or could be improved? a.) Finer granular control over the lay-outing of the templates. b.) Ability to add drop-down dates in some places. c.) Manual inputting of each teacher’s class schedules for all grade levels is tedious. Alma should have a built-in feature of uploading .CSV files for creating and updating class schedules instead of using an optional 3rd party service. d.) The sandboxed sites for testing the look and feel of creating classes and report cards are geared for US school systems and not for international school systems, and which I did not find very useful. e.) There should be a feature during the initial set-up of the school year to allow certain weekends that can be ticked-off as part of the school year. 2.) Are there aspects of the product that are difficult to use? -ALMA Start (for creating online school enrollment forms, online parent info access, etc.) is a little complicated to learn and implement without a sandboxed testing environment when the school year has already started.

Monica from School in the Square Public Charter Scho

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Great SIS For Small Schools

Pros

Alma is the most user-friendly SIS I've ever used. It's intuitive for admin, teachers, students, and families. The simplicity of it makes it very easy to navigate. Still, it's functionality is complete, especially for a small school. I have experience with some of the larger, more well-known systems, and they always felt clunky and hard to figure out if you didn't have a deep tech background. Amplify is easy to use out of the box.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that I wish the student ID was on every report available. I sometimes have to do a v-lookup to populate this info, which is an extra step. Also, I love that their support staff is readily available on chat. They sometimes even reply at night and on weekends! Sometimes though, I wish I could pick up the phone and call them for a more complicated question.

John from Inter-Lakes School District

Shifting to Alma has positioned us well as we transition our district to competency based learning.

Pros

Alma has a modern interface that is intuitive for our users with all of the information they need right at their fingertips, or one screen away. The student/parent portal is informative and is enabling us to move toward a more paperless registration process. Our teachers love the communication tools built into their grade book that enable them to immediately reach out to a student and their parents without having to jump out of the work they are doing. The report card and grading systems are flexible enough to support both traditional and proficiency-based philosophies. Alma is also proactive in cultivating relationships with third party vendors to add additional functionality to the environment. Alma has also been proactive in monitoring our state reporting requirements and updating our state report templates which is no small task. And Alma's support team is nothing short of amazing. My teachers have the freedom to reach out and get the support they require and that is priceless.

Cons

There were a few features I would have like that did not come "out of the box" such as robust reporting tools, and built-in scheduling tools. That said, Alma has worked to integrate those into the system and future users will not have that problem. The one other piece that I believe is in process is updating the transcript system so that it employs the same interface as the report card generator.

James from The New School, Atlanta

Glad we're using Alma

Pros

Unlike other SIS's, Alma actually looks and feels like it was made in the 2010's. The system is solid, and has essentially every feature a smaller school like ours would want (and many more that we don't need to use). The gradebook is excellent, and it's easy to transfer classes and students from year-to-year. Their customer service has been great (we accidentally deleted multiple report cards in different places the other day and they quickly and helpfully solved our issue by restoring to a backup), and they are continually adding features and improving the platform. And the cost has been at least 50% less than quotes we were getting from major competitors. Many reasons to switch to Alma.

Cons

The latest transcripts update was helpful - there are still a couple of features we'd like on the transcripts front, but that's mostly because our school has a unique curriculum. This is totally just a personal preference, but I'd also like to be able to search for classes in the search feature in addition to contacts.

Response from Alma

Replied August 2019

What incredible feedback, James! Thank you so much and we look forward building on all of your school's successes!

It took a little getting used to at first, but I really ended up liking it.

Pros

First of all, I liked how often improvements were made throughout the year. It seemed that ALMA was always looking for ways to continue to improve the software in order to make it more user friendly. As a PE teacher, my grading system is quite different from the classroom teacher. I have 19 different classes (K-6) with about 30 students in each class. Each class would attend PE 2x each week. At first, it was very arduous to submit all the grades, one student at a time, at the end of each term. One of the improvements that occurred during this past school year, was to be able to submit an entire class's grades at the same time! That one change lightened my work load tremendously! And made it so I looked forward to doing grades instead of dreading it!

Cons

As I became more familiar with the features of the software, I became more comfortable using it, but I regret that it took me into my 2nd year using it, to become the most comfortable. Even so, the thing I liked the least about using this software was when I needed to make changes to the lesson details and maneuvering around the different tabs was a but cumbersome to have. Too many steps to have to make the changes I needed to. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Lynette from Evergreen Christian School

Alma: A Teacher's Point of View

Our overall experience has been satisfactory. We rarely have the "drama" we dealt with when using our previous software. Keeping up to date more quickly and making changes to make the teacher use more efficient and faster would be of big help.

Pros

Our school was first drawn to Alma because it combined a good software to meet student, parent, and teacher needs with great value. Customer service is fantastic. If any of us ask an online question, help is quick.

Cons

Alma takes a long time to keep up with the times. For example, we have used it several years, but they just added the ability to enter a score on one student's grade book for a given assignment, and then hit enter, and then an automatic opening to the next student's grade to enter. In effect, it now performs well with a number key pad. Entry was singularly entered one a time which was so slow. In addition, there should be a quicker way to approve report cards. Finally, because we want students to monitory their grades, it would be helpful for them to have their own password access for limited viewing, keeping the parent password private for fuller access.

Kristen from Wilmington Area School District

Definitely a Product for Educators

Having just come from a visually exhausting, not user-friendly information management and grading system, Alma has been a breath of fresh air. It was a pretty easy transition, figuring out the lay of the land. I was never confident on the old system. After only a few months into using Alma, I feel like I have a really good grasp on using it, and if not, I know that they have a great support system to help me out if I get stuck.

Pros

Is the Alma system absolutely perfect in every way? No product out there is! What has really impressed me about Alma is their incredible support team and communication. If we (the people using Alma) have a need and make a suggestion, they are lightning fast in coming up with a solution that fits the need. It is incredibly user friendly, visually appealing in its organization, and houses all of the tools we need for student information management in one tidy place.

Cons

My only wish would be to see a record of the messages that are sent directly to students and parents. However, Alma does allow you to send the message to your email, so it is possible to keep a record of messages that way.

Ricky from First Baptist Christian School, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

March 2016

Love this tool. Love the customer service even more.

We moved from a very expensive and ridiculously difficult system to this one and it has made things so much easier. So far we use Alma mainly for the Grade Book and Attendance and it works really well. Attendance has gone through some changes since we signed up in September 2015 and this has caused a little confusion but once you understand what's happening (contact support) it's quite simple to use. Don't let this deter you though because I've already been assured that changes are coming. Speaking of which you won't get empty promises from these folks. I've requested a couple of updates since we signed up and some were even implemented within a couple of weeks. Everyone is nice to you when they're trying to get your money. The true test of a company's motives is the way they treat their customers after the sale. Well Alma have passed this test with flying colors. Every user (teacher and admin) has direct access to support so queries are usually dealt with pretty quickly since there is no need for support requests to go through me :) One of the best things you can do when you get started is to go through the online documentation in the support area. Many of my questions were answered right there. Be warned though - you may need to actually read :O As far as I can tell there is no perfect system out there (and I tried a ton of them before I found Alma) but with the constant improvements, beautiful interface and top notch customer support you'd be hard pressed to find a better solution. Creating reports cards was actually enjoyable and teachers were very pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of the process on their end. We also haven't been compelled to adopt all the modules at once. Adopting one small section at a time has made transitioning from our old, very outdated processes quite smooth and I for one can't wait to dive into the other features like parent portals and school fees. You guys have a fan for life here :)

Response from Alma

Replied March 2016

Hi Ricky, We have LOVED working First Baptist Christian School and we look forward to many more years together! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. As you said, we are constantly improving the platform and we will keep you updated with any changes. Thanks! Elizabeth

Jenny from Independence Charter School

I have enjoyed the switch to Alma. For the most part, it is user-friendly and intuitive.

Pros

It does not require extensive training to learn how to use; the parent portal gives parents all the info they need at their fingertips; it has centralized all of our student info and made it accessible to all staff who need it; the report card design process is great--you can really customize it to suit your needs; they are constantly releasing updated and improved features based on customer feedback and requests; customer support is always available and very friendly/responsive.

Cons

The reporting functions are limited--it is frustrating at times not being able to design customized reports or to tweak the built-in reports for your exact needs; teachers have some complaints about gradebook's functionality (although many aspects of the gradebook are much better than our former system--it's tough to find everything you need in one program--there are always going to be tradeoffs); scheduling was a bit of a nightmare (on the other hand, our school's programming is very non-standard and often breaks software); there is no app yet--or even a mobile-friendly view--which is really needed for our population, where a large % of parents use their phones exclusively for internet access.

Diane from American School in Taichung

School counselor review

Good, actually.

Pros

There's too much to list everything!!! I like the class function, the internal staff note function, the file cabinet, the graduation function and the reporting function, though I would tweak them all a bit.

Cons

I don't know how to ask for changes. That isn't really obvious to me at all. Everything below I'd probably be able to ask for, but don't know how. With the class function, I would like to print class lists without the pictures. I also LIKE printing lists with pictures, but a lot of time I just want the data. Also, I would love the print the class schedule as it is on the page, but it reverts to another version that I do not like at all. With the Internal Staff Note function, I would like to be able to hide it on the overview page. That's the page that has grades and I like to show them to students, but NOT the internal staff notes.

Reasons for Choosing Alma

It looked easy to use, and generally it is. It seemed simple to learn.

Kay from BOULWARE SPRINGS CHARTER SCHOOL

Grading Software

Pros

ALMA allowed us to do standards based grading in a very efficient and seamless manner. ALMA had Florida standards uploaded for us, so it made it very easy to choose standards for grading. It was very easy to design the template that we wanted to use for our report cards. Responses to questions were almost immediate. ALMA is very intuitive to use - especially for someone like me who is technologically challenged.

Cons

Nothing stands out as a negative. I would be searching to find something that dissatisfied us.

Reasons for Choosing Alma

We hired a consultant to try out various SIS systems and to decide which was the best option for our needs. The consultant chose ALMA as the best choice.

Leslie from St. John the Apostle Catholic School

Amazing ALMA

As I alluded to the Alma support staff is excellent and we have our SJA support staff for Alma too so we are doing well with the transition. Teachers have more at their finger tips for flexibility with report cards and that makes all of us so happy...actually its terrific to see them so pleased.

Pros

There are so MANY things at your fingertips as you delve into this great student information system! If you can't find them and/or understand them Alma's excellent support team will walk you through it.

Cons

Change in all facets of life is a challenge. Being accustomed to my previous SIS program there are things I miss and just can't have. Student Attendance is an important part of my daily life. It frustrates me that though student names are still alphabetical they are presented in reports by first name not last. In a true emergency LAST NAMES are what we are accustomed to look for. Sure I can go in and make up my own special document from excel but most likely NOT during an emergency.

Reasons for Choosing Alma

There were several looked into and the search team narrowed them down and presented Alma as our option.

Nikki from Academy for Advanced and Creative Learning

Using Alma

We began using the Alma gradebook last year, and then the Learning Report feature this year. Initial set up of the files and transfers was a little bumpy with customer service at the beginning of the year, so this accounts for 4 instead of 5 stars. From there, the team has really worked to adjust files to our needs, particularly when we come up to report card time. The program still seems relatively new, as the team is building and embedding resources as it goes, and customer service is responsive to requests for new types of reports. I really appreciate the chat feature in the program, to see which customer service members have seen a message in the queue, and that I get an email if I'm not online to see it. One difficulty that has taken some time is the process of loading our state standards. Only national Common Core standards for math and ELA, and the National Science Standards are available for the gradebook side. This meant hours, hours and hours of work on our part to code and format our state standards to send to Alma so that, hopefully soon, they can be uploaded and our teachers can use them. In the meantime, no scores on the gradebook side can be loaded for any subject other than math, ELA, and science, given that we want to use Common Core and NSS standards for those assignments. The process of loading specialized learning targets for report cards was very easy the first term. Since we were learning the process, teachers wanted to create some adjustments to those for the second term, and that required a huge effort on Alma's end, so we've been nervous and eager to see that working and get reports done in time for parents. Likely, now that we've gone through that with them, it would be easier for other schools if needed from this point forward.

Response from Alma

Replied March 2016

We are working all of the time to improve our custom and state standards import process. We appreciate not only your patience with the process but your feedback. We also hope to make updating academic targets smoother - as we know these are constantly evolving at schools. We will keep you updated on any progress we make. Thanks again for the feedback!

Stephanie from Merrimack Valley Middle School

Excellent customer service!

Pros

Alma has been a great solution for our attendance, grading and communication systems needs. There is a seamless integration with Google classroom and it's very easy to communicate with a single student, their family or the whole class. Health information is readily available and I can also see a student's attendance and progress in other classes. When I have contacted ALMA for assistance, the response is almost immediate. There are emails with information about new features and how to integrate them. They have been extremely responsive to educators' needs during COVID-19 homeschooling this spring .

Cons

It would be nice to be able to change a grade transferred from Google classroom without needing to go into that assignment in Google. Automatic grade updates or syncing from Google classroom would be helpful too, as I often forget to re-sync Google assignments in ALMA.

Kieran from Sea Crest School

I greatly enjoyed the user-friendly interface as compared with Plus Portals: Alma had all I need.

This was the most user-friendly, aesthetically pleasing learning management platform I have used. The staff seemed friendly and in consistent dialogue for improvement, which puts it ahead of the others I have used.

Pros

Aside from the user-friendly interface (for faculty, parents, and students), I liked, essentially, how accommodating the site was for my needs. I liked that posting assignments was easy and that eventually the option to duplicate assignments was added. I also like being able to upload files, links, and write (and see clearly!) instructions in the assignment narrative box. Speaking of which, the option to comment thoughtfully on assignments was great.

Cons

I remember wishing that I wanted the duplicate feature to duplicate everything as it only copied some of the information, not all of it. I also wish teachers could set preferences, like a memory or default setting, so that I wouldn't have to click between tabs if that was not a frequently used tab (for instance, clicking "details" instead of seeing the student roster when checking assignments).

Nicole from American Preparatory Academy

So easy to use! Great for quick grade updating.

It is easy to use and it makes it so easy to communicate student performance with parents and administrators.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use. I can have my students call out scores for homework assignments and be updating them during class time. I also love it as a parent communication tool. With the simple categories and live updates, I can quickly show my parents where their students are struggling simply by updating my gradebook.

Cons

I wish the assignments in each subject were sorted with the most recent assignments right next to the students names. I also wish there was a feature that would allow you to email a particular group or class right from the main screen instead of having to open that class.

Dominick from Inwood Academy for Leadership

Great for standards based grading, but would be much better if they had an app

Pros

-Very easy to grade an assessment on multiple standards -Constantly updating software to make it easier for teachers -Easy to put anecdotal notes on students accounts that parents and teachers can see -It seems that the team at Alma works hard to make any individual changes you might want for your school

Cons

-There is no app for teachers, this is a major downside for schools where teachers do a lot on their phone. I miss the days when I used to be able to easily take attendance or access student information from my phone -The grading portal still has some technological kinks that need to be worked out. Sometimes you will click on one student's name and you end up accidentally entering grades for another because the screen jumps. Once you do this it is difficult to delete the grade unless you mark the assignment N/A.

Katy from Mishawaka High School

The absolute worst year I've had as a professional school counselor.

none.

Pros

You can log in quickly. The people who have come in to assist with how horrific this year has been have been mostly humble and at least tried to help.

Cons

Absolutely impossible to have what we need at our hands as high school counselors. Everything is laborious or actually impossible to do. It has taken MONTHS to get even tiny bits of advances to make this usable. Transcripts, which are an essential piece for our kids, took 6 months to have functioning, and they're still inaccurate. Scheduling is months behind because the programming is inept for a school this size. It lacks confidentiality and privacy that's important for our students. Household units are not available, access to other buildings makes it impossible to know who has siblings and other people living in their home, which poses a safety issue when filing reports to CPS, report cards are still completely wrong and inaccurate. I could truly go on for an awfully long time, but I digress. At the end of the day, I think I can vouch for every person in my building when I say that this program was rolled out in a deplorable way, changes and improvements are slow and sometimes non-existent, and it's made me reconsider even working in this corporation due to how terrible this system is. A program in its infancy has been detrimental to every single stakeholder in this corporation, and I've been disappointed since the first day of training in August.

Response from Alma

Replied February 2018

We truly appreciate you taking the time to help us improve the Alma experience. Change can be difficult, and while most Alma users have had positive experiences, we are continuously improving because our mission of serving educators like you is our life work. Along those lines, we have the industry's leading response time to customer inquiries by a factor of 10. We love working with your corporation because of the positive impact it is having on its students -- and we know its an organization you can be proud to be a part of. Other similarly-sized districts in the Alma family currently enjoy the flexibility, security and power our platform provides - and we'd love to explore how we can bring you to that same opinion. Your account manager will reach out to set up a time to go over (and fix) any issues needing attention.

Kathryn from School City of Mishawaka

Alma is not providing teachers with and easy to use platform for grading, attendance, etc.

Pros

I like that I can look up any student in our school and see that student's schedule and current information.

Cons

1. Our students (Seniors especially) cannot get their current transcripts. This is troubling for many reasons. Perhaps the most important being their choices for scholarships and higher education will be affected by this. Students cannot apply for financial assistance through scholarships without current transcripts. I have personally spoken with at least three students who have missed out on scholarship opportunities, simply because they cannot access current transcripts. 2. Can't see overall student GPA 3. Can't see student class rank 4. Student Mobile usage is very confusing. Can't see grades the way they should. 5. Ease of access is horrible 6. No mobile app, and mobile website is very difficult to read 7. Not organized well 8. When emailing "all students" I cannot exclude certain classes; I can't email multiple classes at once without including EVERYONE 9. For attendance, it is very confusing. If a student is marked present first class, they are marked present for the entire day. This was clearly set up for use in an Elementary School. High School is different. We need to be able to see where our students are throughout the day. 10. Inputting grades takes many more steps than our previous system. There is no way to toggle between students with the keyboard. 11. There should be a way to block certain people from seeing certain information. At the beginning of the school year, student Social Security Numbers were viewable by any teacher or staff in our building.

Response from Alma

Replied February 2018

Below we briefly address each of your concerns. But, because your satisfaction is our starting point, we will also follow-up for a deeper conversation about this. We want you to be elated with Alma! #1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11) We do provide the functionality you're describing and would love to review each item with you. Based on the information you provided, these concerns may indicate further training is needed. Your Account Manager will be in touch soon or you can always contact us through our in-app support. #5 and 7) Most of Alma¿s users love our ease-of-use, navigation, and access, but as with all things, we can/will keep getting better. Let¿s discuss further. #4 and 6) Depending on the phone size and the gradebook in use, the experience for viewing student grades on a phone can be less than ideal. We are actively exploring more options. #8) Great idea! This is the first time we have heard this, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. Your suggestion has been logged

April from Tarkington High School

Easy to use and provides an enjoyable experience.

I am able to quickly get in touch with my students at any time regarding any matter that needs to be addressed.

Pros

I like the fact that this software is simple to use with no prior instructions needed to start. I was able to accurately use the software the same day that I bought it meaning that I was able to really get a grasp on how it works. I also am a fact that I can create a file report for each student and write notes daily to track their progress. This is not something that seems to be common with software, but I appreciate the added touch.

Cons

I wish that the software gave me the ability to see absences as well as when students have been tardy. Having this information handy would allow me to file my reports more accurately. I also am not a fan of the price tag, I feel as though it could be cheaper.

Lindsey from Lake Washington Girls Middle School

Alma has been great as responding to our requests for improvements and additional features.

Pros

I love the visual simplicity of the grade book and the compatibility with Standards Based Grading. Not many grading softwares have the finesse for options and sophistication within SB. I've also had great response from folks on the team to help fix issues quickly and respond to inquiries.

Cons

We are still figuring out how to set up out report card to best reflect SBG. Since our school writes narrative reports in addition to assigning standards, the option for narrative reports still needs some work. Our teachers write extensive narrative reports, and currently, the text options are pretty minimal, including text edit features when copying and pasting from an outside document. Additionally, we'd LOVE to see compatibility with Google Classroom for assignments and the grade book.

Very easy to use an constantly improving

Much much easier to manage student data than power school

Pros

Alma has a great and beautiful interface and its very easy to use. The support is excellent, easy to access, and very responsive. We wanted to replace Power School because it was difficult to use and felt like it was designed for larger institutions, requiring more resources than we have.

Cons

When the product was new it wasn't as robust as other similar software but they take user feedback and constantly add new features.

Response from Alma

Replied February 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us a review! It's great to hear how user friendly you find Alma to be, and yes, we are constantly improving. New updates each week! Thanks again!

Marsha from Blue Ridge Christian School

New growing company willing to create a highly competitive program for all educational venues.

Pros

Clean and easy to navigate whether on the parent side or on the administrative side. Customer service is also quick to respond when we are in need.

Cons

Queries of information cannot be easily accessible unless requested. School families are unable to access their own personal information to edit. Families would also like to be able to see contact information for families within their child's class. It would be beneficial if families could email their student's parents just as teachers can so that they may plan for upcoming parties, field trips, etc. without contacting the school for names, emails, etc.

Chrissy from Blue Ridge Christian School

Teacher review

It can be frustrating, but it's a useful tool. I'm not sure why but I find myself making more mistakes with this management system than others I have used in the past.

Pros

My school was one of the first to use Alma, and I have been impressed with how they ask for feedback from teachers and then consistently make changes to improve the product.

Cons

It seems to go down every time we do report cards, which is when we need it the most. Also, I'd like for it to be easier to post and print lesson plans. Also, when I post a grade as received, the default should always be full credit, not zero.

Tyler from The Stonehaven School

I've been using alma daily for 3.5 as a teacher and find it to be incredibly user friendly.

As a teacher, alma makes it very easy for me to keep students and families up to date on student progress.

Pros

Alma's user interface is easy to navigate every step of the way - from taking attendance to posting and grading assignments to creating and publishing report cards. Features are easy to use and customizable by class. Their customer support team is consistently responsive to requests and does an effective job communicating and offering support for new features.

Cons

In the future, I'd love to see alma develop an app for mobile devices or a more user-friendly mobile version of the website.

Caroline from Chiang Rai International School

Great for teachers/schools

I've been teaching for almost 30 years and this is definitely one of the most user-friendly platforms that I have used.

Pros

I love that it is linked to Google Classroom. When I sync the two, all my grades automatically sync. I have had one or 2 small issues, but customer services was excellent in getting back to me and helping solve the problem within a few days.

Cons

I would love to be able to change grades in ALMA - that originated from Google Classroom. I find I am having to sync often even when there is just one grade that needs to be changed. But this could be a problem with GC.

Donna from Summer on the Hill

Alma

A lot of our files were in separate places (ie, paper copies, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc) prior to Alma and now have been collated in one software. This has allowed for an increase in efficiency among staff. Alma has been very helpful in the onboarding process and very attentive and willing to help out as much as they can. With the ongoing pandemic, the customer engagement staff member assigned to us has reached out often and checked in regarding our process.

Pros

I really appreciate the user friendly interface of the software. Most of the features are very intuitive and whenever I have questions, the customer engagement team responds quickly and with direct answers. The software also facilitates data sharing among administrators, parents, and teachers.

Cons

I do think that they could improve in some of the fields and attributes that are designated to the student's bio. They can also add a way to integrate the fees component to Alma Start so that parents can make payments through their processes. I also think that in the student SIS, the picture icon could be made larger or if clicked on become a bigger picture. While they have made improvements for the medical section by adding the immunizations feature, they should probably expand on that by adding other fields.

Aaron from Wilmington Area School District

Alma is for Educators

Alma has been a pleasure to work with. Their staff is friendly, hard working, and always available. With that combination, I don't know what else you could need out of a long term investment.

Pros

The overall ease of use is what sold us on Alma. It's intuitive and saves you clicks. The best part for me personally is how easy it is to look up where a student is currently located, in order to call their room and have them sent to the tech office for assistance or troubleshooting.

Cons

Alma is a growing company, and as a result, they have some things that needed work when we started. However, after less than a year of being their customer, we have already worked out the major kinks that are particular to how we run our school district and they continue to make adjustments to improve the overall functionality of the software to save time and effort of EVERYONE, not just admin and not just teachers.

SANDRA from Connellsville Middle School

In my secretarial position training was minimal. I know there is more that I could be using.

Overall I am happy with things

Pros

Student records information. Ability to go from student to student quickly. So much info available on the bio page. Classes and times available on schedule.

Cons

Running some report. Labels, not sure when running labels which address Im going to get. Which parent address and the need to use the PO Box of the student. Also...when going to previous years the need to flip back to another year with the same student. Maybe if you could go back to previous years by students.

Yoselin from APA

Super simple to Handel and navigate. Makes my life as a teacher easy.

Able to learn a universal program that could potentially be used at a different school.

Pros

I LOVE the new and easy way to submit grades. Easy few step process. Before there was a more complex way and now it's a simple three-step process to submit y'all my grades. I have group grades and I LOVE that it separates them by grade.

Cons

There is absolutely nothing negative. The whole system is consistently improving and making it that much easier for teachers to use in our short amount of time to submit grades for all of our classes.

Rima from International School Al Koura

using ALMA has been convenient.

Pros

Finding all the information related to students all in one place. The student and parent portals are very useful aspects of ALMA. The ability to communicate, in bulk, with different groups. School announcements is a good feature. Alma Start is a potentially great service.

Cons

we are not able to use Arabic to enter information (we are a school in Lebanon, where Arabic is the official language) It would be a good idea to be able to share disciplinary incidents on the parent and/or student portals.

June 2015

Karyn from Pleasant Grove Christian School

June 2015

Awesome Program!

Pros: Price can't be beat; extremely user friendly; best customer service ever experienced - they listen to your needs and try to give you exactly what you want and they respond immediately; personal training for your school; help available by email and phone; product still being developed so as a customer you have a lot of input; live demo when deciding to use or not Cons: No accounting or student discipline record keeping options; admin privileges are all or nothing - you cannot give someone admin privileges for just one task without giving them access to all admin privileges; product still being developed so had to wait for certain features My experience with Alma has been great! We're a new school, so have an extremely limited budget. We had expected to have to settle for a grading program and Excel or Access for the admin. Alma was the perfect choice for us! They have been so helpful and fast with their customer service. They are new, so are still working out the kinks, but each time they change something, it just makes our use of the program easier. Alma is so user friendly, I could have learned the program by just exploring on my own, but the live tutorial for our school saved me the time. Alma only charges for certain features and even those costs are nominal. There are only a couple more features I'd like to see in Alma, the financial and discipline record keeping. Other than that, it's got everything we have needed this year.

Response from Alma

Replied June 2015

Hi Karyn, Thank you for the kind words! The good news is we will have a discipline feature available for next year! We will not have a full accounting tool next year but we are building a fee tracking tool. If there are other features that could benefit Pleasant Grove don't hesitate to let Karen know. We are always adding new features!

Juan Carlos from IAA

Alma = Future

The transition was a little painful due to the transfer of information from our previous SIS. "Translate" our settings from previous SIS to Alma was not that strait.

Pros

Their Web GUI concept is very forward, very stable and fast cloud, SSO with google, great help info, great tech support.

Cons

The email feature doesn't have an inbox, an outbox.

Reasons for Choosing Alma

Web based, easy of use, cost.

Cheri from Gethsemane Lutheran School

Alma Review

I'm happy with the improvements are have been made. I'd like to see a seating chart for each class. The system could create it by abc's, age, boy/girl or randomly.

Pros

Can access on-line at home or work.

Cons

Lots of clicking. Must click many times to enter grades. I'd like to be able to 10 key.

Response from Alma

Replied November 2016

Hi Cheri, Thank you so much for taking the time to send in your feedback! We agree that the ability to create a seating chart would be a great addition to Alma and the team is currently working on a way to make this possible in the near future. Again, thank you for your feedback! Best, Kelly

April 2016

Christina from Oakland School District

April 2016

Excited for the future

Pros-Customer service is great. They work on updates almost every week as their product continues to grow and expand to meet the needs of school districts. Cons-They are developing the transcript and the scheduler component. That is why I rated overall as 4 star instead of 5.(I am a high school counselor). Ease of use is continuing to get better and better with each update they make. It's not that the program is hard to use it is just that occasionally there are a few more clicks you have to make in order to get to where you want to be. However, they have added a few things just in the last week that are making it easier and more efficient to use.(gradebook updates, search bar, etc) Making the jump to Alma was a big leap at the high school because when we started they did not have a scheduler component or a transcript. This made me very nervous as a high school counselor who uses both of these items. However, I was tired of having to track students using a credit worksheet. I know that with a year or two Alma will be were the high school needs them to be. The parents and students have made many comments about how easy it is for them to use their side of Alma. The communication tools within Alma are easy to use and something I use to reach parents/students about different opportunities, scholarships, testing dates, etc. I am excited to be on this journey with Alma and feel like we are headed in the right direction!

Response from Alma

Replied November 2016

Hi Christina, Thank you for this valuable feedback! We are happy to hear that you and your parents are finding Alma easy to use. Thank you for trusting us to meet your scheduling and transcript needs - scheduled improvements are definitely on our roadmap in the months ahead! Kind regards, Kelly

Yaacov from United Lubavitcher Yeshivoth of Ocean Parkway

An Education Driven Product!

Pros

I love the value. After looking into many products, we chose Alma because it was the only affordable program that offered true mastery based grading. Alma also has world class customer service. The interface is clean and always being developed. We recently ugraded our service plan because we are so happy with the program.

Cons

There are some features that I would like to see developed, but that is true of every software. Over time, they will develop those features.

Reasons for Choosing Alma

Alma offered more value for the money we were spending.

Maria Elisa from International School of Caracas

Alma was useful for me as a teacher. It helped me stay organized in my plannings and assessments

Pros

What I liked the most about this Software is that it helps teachers to stay organized in their daily plannings, but also in the evaluation process. This was my first year as a teacher, and I loved using ALMA because I got the chance to put all the information that I needed in that Software. Just by clicking on ALMA I could take attendance, find information about my students, update my plannings, follow the CCSS Standards and upload the grades.

Cons

At the beginning of the school year, it was a little complicated for me to understand how ALMA worked. I had to ask many times to the Principal of my school about how to upload my daily plannings and align the assessments to the Standards. However, after a few weeks of practicing, it became easier for me.

Ryan from British Columbia International School of Bangkok

Principal's opinion (who has used multiple SIS systems)

I have had the most postive experience dealing with the Alma staff. I work at an International school in Southeast Asia and they will regularly make time to chat online.

Pros

- I love the integration with google classroom. In this way it essentialy forms an SIS and LMS into one. - I love that the staff is so progressive and open to feedback. Really kind people with a passion for education are the type of people I want to work with - I love that they are constantly updating to make the product better based on the feedback of their customers - I love that it is so well laid out and easy to use. People who have used other SIS systems can certainly appreciate this.

Cons

- I would like to see the integration of performance rubrics that can be tied to the gradebook

Arlen from Porterville Unified School District

Alma creates an easy work space

I would give this a 9 out of 10. It's a system that works for our attendance records and makes sharing it with the other staff easy.

Pros

Alma makes attendance keeping track of student records so simple. The way it puts it together in analytics format is also easy to use.