All CANVAS Reviews

Kelly

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2020

CANVAS makes higher education accessible anywhere you have an internet connection!

CANVAS is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning. Personally, as an older student, I love using CANVAS.

PROS

While I am unsure of the College's side in using this software, for me, as a student, I love using CANVAS. I enjoy travelling and with an easy-to-use, school-issued/provided LMS (Learning Management System/Software), I can take many classes online from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. The mobile application is robust and incredibly convenient, allowing 99% all-the-same functionality as the desktop version. Students can even take online quizzes and finals using their internet-connected mobile device (Smartphone). It is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning as an older (personally, 42 years) college student.

CONS

The only drawbacks to CANVAS I experienced were a loss of data if the active internet connection broke while in the middle of completing/submitting assignments and quizzes. I know that CANVAS has since implemented an auto-save feature on the quizzes, so that part of the problem is resolved. Whether or not this is true of the assignment submissions, I honestly do not know at this time.

Reasons for switching to CANVAS

The specific choice of LMS is made by the schools, not me. I was using Blackboard at the Art Institutes. I now use CANVAS at the MCCCD Colleges.

Kudzai

E-Learning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2021

CANVAS - Easy e-learning Setup

It is easy and quick to set up even for no technical people. It is a reasonable cost depending on usage.

PROS

The first thing I noted about Canvas is that when creating content, the page looks like an MS Word document. This makes creating pages with content easy as the learning curse is very gentle. There is very little need to be technical. It is more a matter of formatting rather than getting to know the software platform itself. The dashboard is clean and modern with easy navigation on the left sidebar for courses, account information, calendar, inbox and help. Your default home is your published and unpublished courses. On the courses tabs, are announcement and conversation icons that notify if a course has issues you need to attend to in a specific course. The settings menu is straightforward with nothing cryptic even for non-technical people. Setting up courses is a breeze with a 'Course Setup Checklist' button available inside each course shell you create. There is a walkthrough for each element of a course from content to publishing your course. If you have an existing course you can simply import the course with several formats supported including but not limited to Blackboard, Moodle and zip. For educators at various institutions, they can just import and customize where the need arises for the different institutions. Assessment types include quizzes and assignments. It also integrates easily with other services like Google Drive, Office/Docs and others.

CONS

Video elements management needs improvement, the thumbnails are poor quality and very small. There is no option to edit them. To get a good visual of Office elements needs embedding the content hosted somewhere else. Natively on the platform PDF and PPT display poorly with just vertical scrolling. Exporting An exported courses from Canvas is in a custom format that is not compatible with other LMS platforms. This makes it hard to move between platforms. There not much customization of learning elements compared to other LMS available. Some of the support documentation is dated and needs updating.

Reason for choosing CANVAS

There was a need for something quick and easy to use for instructors without the need for having technical support on call all the time.

Reasons for switching to CANVAS

A different vendor with different needs that best fit Canvas than Accord LMS.

Herman

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Makes going to school fun!

PROS

The ease of use to communicate with students around the world and to improve my education using the online platform.

CONS

At the beginning I was getting too many emails but once I figured how to manage communications from my school and teachers it all went much better.

Dr. M Y

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed February 2021

Canvas for Online Learning, Teaching & Assessment: OK but...

Best valuable features: Share to Common, Import/export content i.e., transport/transfer files from past year or another course. It saves time, not reinventing the wheel. Assignment Due date is very cruel to learner as 1 second late submission may cause a heavy penalty. Recently due to COVID-19 my learners in UK and International faced difficulties. I suggest to add a feature giving some window instead of a fix hh.mm.ss timestamp.

PROS

Learning & Teaching: Various useful features, e.g., upload/download files, page creation, announcement and discussion and valuable apps containing ubiquitous tools, like MS Team meetings, Panopto, Vimeo, YouTube, Dropbox etc. Assessment: Huge variety of Quizzes, secured quizzes, quizzes SWOT statistics, lockdown browser, Assignments, anti-Plagiarism tools, Moderation, Marker Allocation, Grades, Research: Conferences, collaborations, Canvas digital forum support.

CONS

Assessment of students: sorting may not be sync'd with local university database. i.e., downloaded grades and university's marksheet contains names of students starting differently. Imaging if you have 300+ names! this causes sorting issues while assessing online. Quizzes are great but cannot create duplicate questions, some time academic need this feature. Also because quiz question can be an Essay therefore, this type of assessment must include anti-plagiarism tool (i.e., Turnitin etc), not available in Quizzes but only in Assignments. Reference Manager and Library tools are not available but can be added, e.g., Talis, StudyNet etc. These features are necessary for cognitive learning and cresting your own Library does help. I need to use either Endnotes or Mendeley as an external app on my desktop or on cloud. Its good to use integrated Email tool but its not linked to outlook or other email app. I cannot send email to other people outside my module, i.e., cannot do cc to manager, examiner etc but I need to permanently add in the list of people. Also cannot add images etc in text but can attach files. Also cannot format the text but just plaintext is allowed. You cannot add http link to a text.

my University decided to use Canvas

Mamello

Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 employees

Canvas review

I am able to find my notes and learning material.

PROS

Work is organized and easily accessible

CONS

Logging in for the first time is not easy

Reasons for switching to CANVAS

It was the schools decision to switch to canva

Kyle

Motion Pictures and Film, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2020

College on the Web

Canvas is an excellent learning tool for most colleges and universities. Not only does it allow for assignments to be turned in over the internet but it also allows students to take quizzes and attend lectures through ConferNow and Zoom. It will notify you through email for any work that is assigned, work that is due, etc. Although it can be a bit complicated to operate through compared to other programs such as Google Classroom, it has all the features you would need in order to run a class online especially during a pandemic.

PROS

With the rise of Coronavirus and online options for college classes, Canvas has been a staple tool for students taking online classes and even with online assignments. Canvas, similar to Google Classroom, is a program that allows teachers to assign work through the web instead of wasting time printing and wasting paper. It allows students to be notified of when assignments are due and even allows them to take quizzes and test online. With most of the world being forced to do everything digitally Canvas allows access to Zoom through ConferNow which allows for teachers to schedule lectures and meetings. Canvas also allows you to message other students if needed. Without Canvas, school online would be incredibly difficult, and although Google Classroom is a solid option for courses in elementary school through high school, Canvas has more features such as users being able to directly embed LTIs such as Flipgrid.

CONS

Although Canvas is better than Google Classroom in terms of the number of features, Google Classroom's interface is simpler and easier to understand than Canvas's. Google Classroom, being a Google program, also makes it slightly easier to turn in assignments using Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc. Canvas's user system can also use some work as well. Canvas may have the ability to allow you to see other students but it's obscure. There's no way to search for other people unless they're in your class and most people don't even know of the profile feature. Personally, I don't believe there are many problems with Canvas except that they should redo its design because to me it seems a bit bland and that they should make its interface a bit more simpler since it can be confusing to navigate through.

Reasons for switching to CANVAS

Because at my highschool, the teachers use Google Classroom but at my community college they opt for using Canvas

Madison

E-Learning, 1 employee

Canvas Review

PROS

I really lie how easy it is to navigate the mobile app. It makes online college easy if you have a full time job and are completing assignments on the go

CONS

I do not have any complaints about canvas.

Dameron

Animation, 2-10 employees

CANVAS Review

Canvas is an excellent tool for centralizing all of the information, assignments, and tasks related to learning and education.

PROS

Teachers can produce assessments and publish grades to the system using this feature, enabling representatives and students to keep an eye on grades and instructional strategies.

CONS

Reduce the cost for colleges and universities, especially for students wishing to transfer from more expensive LMSs.

Aleidy

Machinery, 10,000+ employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2024

unleash your creative potential!

I've been using it since college, and it really has helped me with many type of different projects. For someone with no experience with design software, it is a lifesaving app

PROS

it offers a user-friendly interface, a wide range of tools for creativity, seamless collaboration features, and accessibility across various devices

CONS

It may lack advance features compare to other professional design software (not a problem for me tho). Also, offline version is not available.

Jose

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2024

Used it for a year

PROS

I liked how easy it was to see what I was missing and my grades in regards to the stuff I did

CONS

I couldnt save any attachments which was a huge minus, would've been nice to get to go back on my computer and review stuff I may have forgotten.

Reviewed November 2019

Canvas

I have used Canvas as both a student and a teacher. I have used it to create courses and assignments, grading, submitting assignments, viewing grades, etc. It is a beneficial software for higher education because of all of the resources and tools available. It helps significantly with the organization of a class.

PROS

Once you learn the software, it is easy to use. There are several tools that are beneficial to both students and teachers, such as Speed Grader, TurnItIn for plagiarism checking, inbox, collaborations, etc. I really like that it lines out the schedule for students (syllabus tab), provides a calendar that has the option to display days that assignments are due, a to-do list for each assignment, etc. Teachers have to put the assignments in, ahead of time, for this to be useful to students, but I've been told many times by students that it makes their lives easier by being able to see everything they have coming up. I also love the ARC video uploader. It allows teachers to see statistics on how many students watched the video and how long they actually watched it. It also gives students an option to leave a comment or question at an exact timestamp in the video.

CONS

There are some quirks to Canvas that sometimes require workarounds. An example of this is moderated grading. I have had it somehow get selected, but it does not tell you when it gets selected. Once one student submission has been graded, it will not allow you to turn off moderated grading. You have to go through the process of moderated grading before it will even show grades or comments to students. The inbox also sometimes hides my emails in the spam folder in my Outlook account. It does not do that constantly, but every now and then I will get an email from a student wondering why I haven't responded to an email. I usually find it in my spam folder.

Reasons for switching to CANVAS

My university made the switch and we were required to switch to Canvas. I am happy with the switch.

Reviewed August 2021

CANVAS is a great tool for Courses and International competitions.

It's a nice program for communicating with students and is very organized. I really like to use it.

PROS

If you work in a school or a scientific competition, or if you wish to teach a class, you can use CANVAS. It's an excellent application because the grade book offers an Effective Teaching option for tracking progress against a set of academic criteria. Students and teachers will benefit from this mobile-friendly and easy tool. The largest business would be distance education, although it performs excellently in general.

CONS

It can be tough to cope with at first when using the application, and it takes a long time to publish a post on the student page. Students occasionally carried assessments in the incorrect location and took time to get acquainted with the mobile phone application.

Reason for choosing CANVAS

In general, I prefer to use the program, especially in making exams for students, because it appears if the student opens other programs with him, which confirms to me the credibility of dealing and the absence of cheating

Reasons for switching to CANVAS

I found CANVAS is an organized program in dealing and communicating with Students than other Programmes

Rebekah

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2021

Couldn't have gotten through college (as a student and as a TA) without it

It's interesting reading other reviews using Canvas as a tool for certification and similar modular learning. As it was used during my years at college and as a teaching assistant, it reliably got every job done well and seemed perfectly built for each small adaptation we found to use it for.

PROS

I've mentioned quite a few technological pluses in the rest of this review, but for this particular response I think the most important thing was how friendly the system was. It handled tens of thousands of us constantly logged in at my university, relayed grades instantly, never crashed while administering tests, and simply had an aesthetic layout (using our college colors!) that didn't treat you like a criminal (think of other test monitoring software) or unduly freak stressed students out with how they present grades, feedback, deadlines, and more.

CONS

Honestly, I found no faults with the software while using it as either a student or TA. Given the option however, I would have suggested integration options with other, lesser tools we used as TAs such as timesheets and hour submission portals.

Reasons for switching to CANVAS

We used Blackboard in my high school, bar one physics class. I detested it and was ecstatic when my university gave us a Canvas login during orientation.

Rochelle

Higher Education, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2021

Using Canvas in the Classroom

My overall experience with Canvas has been very positive. This platform has made my life so much easier as a busy instructor with seven or eight classes in a semester. Also, the platform makes it so easy to move from semester to semester with the copy feature. We do not have to recreate the will every semester. Our videos are there, along with handouts and tests. And, if we need to update a tests, it is easy to copy the updated tests to all of your classes.

PROS

My college has been using Canvas for the last several years. It is so instructor and student friendly. We are able to upload assignments, create videos, and grade with such ease. Also, students are able to navigate the platform very easily.

CONS

There are a couple of features that I think could be improved, and they are deleting old emails and sending emails to all of my classes. I wish that I could highlight all of the emails and delete in small batches. Also, it would be great to email several classes at one time.

Reasons for switching to CANVAS

Our college administrators wanted a platform that all instructors could use and have that consistency with our students.

Blake

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Reviewed July 2019

This is what an LMS should be!

We switched to Canvas when our school went 1:1. This was a key component of the success of our program.

PROS

This LMS has become the hub of my classroom. It holds both students and teachers accountable with complete tracking of assignments.

CONS

It could have better integration with our SIS (FACTS), but I think this is more of an issue with FACTS.

Reason for choosing CANVAS

Schoology was a close second, mainly because of their workload planning, but the overall interface and the fact the many of our students will see Canvas when they go to college, it was the clear choice.

Eduardo

Higher Education, 1 employee

Reviewed July 2021

CANVAS to Learn

CANVAS is superior to blackboard, even though we could argument blackboard is more complete, it is "0" user friendly therefore as a student it is hard to get the best out of the software. Thanks to CANVASĀ“ simple approach it is very easy to navigate once you had 2 or 3 courses and you can easily find what you are looking for. I sincerely recommend CANVAS.

PROS

Very user-friendly interface, easy to find what you are looking for with clear icons and titles being displayed. For general areas such as courses, dashboard and calendar they are easy to use, and you can even add reminders to your calendar besides those posted by teachers.

CONS

Sometimes, once you are inside a class within the software it may vary drastically from teacher to teacher. The software allows for customization therefore it can cause confusion for students for there is not only 1 format to visualize the classes.

Reasons for switching to CANVAS

Decisions made by my University but I applaud it since CANVAS is easier to use and cheaper (even though I do not get charged for it) for the institution.

Reviewed August 2019

Finally, a student portal that makes you want to learn!

Overall, I'm highly satisfied to have a student portal that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The developers clearly did a lot of research and user testing into finding out what features students need, as it still astounds me how complete of an experience the app is. Just about the only major issue with it is that some instructors don't make the most out of its functionality, but that's not really an issue with Canvas itself.

PROS

As a student who used to use Blackboard, I immediately saw Canvas' UI and overall look-and-feel as a huge upgrade. I like that it's based on modern UI design patterns, with features like the sidebar and the single flush column of content. It makes the web app inviting and fun to use for young students like me who are on their phone for most of the day. One relatively minor feature that I greatly appreciate is the in-app PDF previewer, which saves me from wasting time having to download the file or opening it in a new tab and cluttering my workspace. Just this feature alone was enough to show me that Canvas' developers really had the end-user in mind. One last big net positive I want to mention is the integration with the mobile app. It's great! Notifications show up on time and don't duplicate or perform other wonky stuff. Having a seamless experience between desktop and mobile goes a long towards making students like feel in control of their learning.

CONS

While there's a lot to like about the UI, I do have some minor grievances with it in a few places. The one thing that really stands out is how some blue links are clickable but don't actually do anything. For example, discussion threads have a clickable subtitle that shows which Lecture Section they're intended for. If it's for "All Sections", then clicking on it does absolutely nothing. I know this is a minor nitpick, but you would not believe how many times I've ended up accidentally clicking on that link intending to go the discussion board.

Reviewed October 2020

Easy to use...only if you know what you're doing

The best thing a new Canvas user could do would be to attend training FIRST. Do NOT just jump in like I did and assume that because you're tech savvy you'll figure it out quickly. It took me weeks and weeks when I first started using it to build my class. Lots of trial and error and calling the IT department. I should have just saved myself some time and gone to training! But I didn't have the time so I winged it. Ugh. On the whole though, once you learn how to use it, it's not bad at all. And it gets easier with time. And again, it's 10x better than Moodle! Also, there is a Canvas "Commons" where you can look at other Canvas courses that other instructors have put together so you can get an idea of techniques you might use. But, you still might need to do a training session with IT to figure out how to replicate the cool graphics that others are using! Again, it's not intuitive, and there is not a lot of online help available. But on the whole, Canvas is the best thing out there right now.

PROS

I've been using Canvas as an instructor at a university for the past 7+ years. The best thing about Canvas is that it's better organized than Moodle, which I've also used. I encountered Canvas when I came to work at my university. Before I started my job I was only familiar with Moodle, which I thought was an awful ed-tech application. I found Canvas to have a better interface, and was easier to navigate as a user. As an instructor, there are all kinds of features that you can use to set up a class, foster engagement, track student progress and assess completion of assignments. You can set up discussions, assign students to groups and even enable them to meet virtually. Canvas also works well for asynchronous learning in that you can create a course that is self-paced and students can step through each assignment on their own time.

CONS

The biggest challenge with Canvas is that it's not easy to use, unless you've been trained and know what you're doing. I had to learn Canvas completely on my own and it was a bit of a nightmare, even for someone like me who is very comfortable with technology. It's not entirely intuitive, especially when you're building a course from scratch. It's basically a website and you have to learn how to link pages, websites, documents, etc. You don't need to know how to code or use HTML, but it's still very painstaking to set up a class, even if you copy a previous class from year to year and just need to update it. The grading feature was also "updated" and it's more annoying now and less easy to use. The one big drawback though is the interface in that it's not all that graphical. You have to learn work arounds to make the interface more appealing to students. It's still better than Moodle! But still, it would be great if they could make it more like a real graphical website and less like a Word document on a website.

Louisa

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2021

Canvas in three words: reliable, convenient, and innovative.

My overall experience with Canvas has been incredible. From my days using the platform at my large public high school to my current use of Canvas at the University of Pennsylvania, I have found it to be extremely instrumental in fostering my learning. The landing page for each of my courses presents the necessary information, such as grades or quizzes, in a way that is consistent across the platform, yet also enables professors to customize what different links to information appear in order to allow them to design a page which best fits the scope of their course and its associated assignments. I have loved using Canvas, and look forward to doing so throughout the rest of my college career!

PROS

I first used Canvas long before I ever even entered college as a high school student. However, throughout the years the platform has always remained extremely easy to use and provided me stable and secure access to my course content. With the advent of online learning brought on by the pandemic, I began to use Canvas even more this past year as a current junior in college. Reflecting on my increased use of the platform over the past year, I can appreciate how Canvas has remained not only reliable and convenient to use, but also innovative in that they have continued rolling out updates which make the platform even better, such a the "like" feature which enables students to engage more with their classmates' responses on discussion posts.

CONS

The one feature which could be improved on Canvas would be more clear instructions on how to update your profile photo! One of my professors requested that we change our profile photos to a picture of ourselves last week, and while I was eventually able to do so successfully, it took me a little but to figure out where to take this action.

Nicole