• Pros

• "Easy to use and useful for daily work. I love that it's an extension in Chrome. The ease of saving videos in my Google Drive and sharing those links is definitely the biggest advantage."

• "I love that it captures my viewboard screen so I can share examples with my students. I did not need any extra equipment and it took about 2 minutes to allow permissions and I was ready to record. "

• "Screencastify is a great product. Very easy to use. Has a great extension. It is an easy way to reach out to students via screen recordings. "

• Cons

• "There are not a lot of drawbacks to this program, the only one I can think of being the five minute recording limit."

• "It is sad that when you go Unlimited or to the paying option you have to choose the unlimited Record/Edit/Submit. It will be great to have an option for all in one option with a great discount :) "

• "I haven’t found any major issues with screencastify. The only major downfall is that it just isn’t very compatible with mobile devices so you have to have a pc or laptop."

Browse Screencastify Reviews

Russell from FusionSPEDtech

I love Screencastify!

I am extremely pleased with how simple it has been to use Screencastify. I've been able to record screen recordings that can be quickly shared with students and teammates. I love it!

Pros

Screencastify is a phenomenal and easy to use tool for teachers and students! It has so many great features. First, you have the ability to create videos of your screen (with or without your headshot). This can be used to "flip" the classroom, frontload with information, students who are out sick, for small groups that are working on different topics, differentiation, or for centers activities. In a way, this allows you to be more than one place at once! Beyond that, you can add graphics on the screen while recording (including lines, circles, etc.), which can draw attention to certain parts of your presentation for the students. Another great feature is that it links and syncs with your Google Drive. Your videos are automatically stored there, if you use Google Drive. You can then get a link that easily shared with students. Last, I only scratched the surface of all the great stuff about Screencastify, but they also have an awesome certification program you can take to learn more - great customer support!

Cons

To be honest, I have no complaints about Screencastify. I only need the ability to record short videos that can be shared with students or teammates, and Screencastify helps me accomplish that goal. I'm also able to do what I need to do with the free version, but have considered the subscription so that I can get access to more minutes per month. It's a great platform - give it a try!

Kelly A. from Lake Center Christian School

Works well with Google Classroom Integration

I am able to quickly record my screen and it allows you to open other screens without having to add permissions. Also easy to follow with the circle for mouse clicks and highlights. Can imbed webcam at the bottom of the video, or it will disappear once you start showing online actions.

Pros

I enjoy how easy it is to use and how quickly the video is processed. It easily integrates into Google Suite for Education products.

Cons

I wish the editing capabilities were a bit more robust. There are some capabilities in the paid version.

Reasons for Choosing Screencastify

The free version was more robust and could get quickly to using it. Eventually went to paid version for longer screen capture time.

Reasons for Switching to Screencastify

While more dynamic editing capabilities, Filmora has a steep learning curve. Too much for quick, short screen captures. It is better suited for creating videos.

Mildred from AB Conference SDA Church - School Division

GREAT tool for Education

Like the product very much. Very well develop and easy to use

Pros

Super easy to deploy for Google Education platform. Very friendly on how to use it and have great resources and how to for education

We actually use both

Works just fine. Could use some attention.

Quick way to share video tutorials.

Pros

This is affordable and simple to install solution for screen capture and video sharing. I like to use the software for capturing video tutorials and explanations to accompany my email clarifications. It is conveniently accessible and ultimately does the trick. It is nice to have the options to save or upload and share a link.

Cons

This is not always compatible on mobile. Some time the uploads for videos freeze and must be recorded again. Also, the selection of the screen that you wish to record is sometimes confusing and I have managed to record nothing but my voice. Overall, it does the trick but I wouldn't be able to confidently recommend.

Sarah from Anderson District One

Screencastify in Anderson One

I have been using Screencastify for four years now. I love how it continues to update and add new features that teachers find useful. The video editor has been one of my favorite additions that I use regularly.

Pros

As a K-12 Instructional Technologist in Anderson One, I rely on and use Screencastify on a regular basis. I use Screencastify to record how-to tutorials for my teachers, administrators, and even parents and students in our district. Screencastify is very easy to use. I love the ability to edit my video and upload to YouTube all within Screencastify.

Cons

I would love the ability to record my screen and have the option to also have my webcam showing me in the bottom of the screen. We have seen this option in Loom and would like it added to Screencastify as well.

Jeheen Mahmood from Binary Bees

Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

A basic screen recording tool for on the go use

I used to take lots of screenshots, annotate them, add them to lengthy chats or emails to explain tasks to my remote employees. It was literally the most time-consuming task of the day for me. Screencastify managed to cut this time by over 75%. I could simply record what I was doing and explaining my thought process for them to follow without any deviation. It saved my a lot of work hours, cant thank enough.

Pros

This was my first screen recording tool and I must say it did the job pretty good. I haven't used it in some time, so I can not discuss the current features. But I can easily say it, Screencastify did make my life a lot easier. I used it as a chrome app and it was very light and fast. It was very easy to start the app and do a short clip of recroding for explainer video.

Cons

I used the free version of Screencastify and it had a limited video duration of 10 minutes. I had to break my tutorials into 10 minute long segments. There was a total video per month limitation too, though I never reached thar. It was a bother splitting videos in to 10 minutes segments, but on the other hand, I was using the free versioin of the app and cant expect everything they have on the paid plan.

Reasons for Choosing Screencastify

I read how to manual for Camtasia and tried their trial. It was too techy for me. And I didnt need the advanced features they offer. Camtasia is a great app, a true market leader. But overkill for my needs.

Luke from Graphic Alliance

Forget recording via Google Meet

We had to find an alternative for using Google Meet's native screen recording when it was made a premium feature and Screencastify not only replaced it but surpassed it. It's very easy to use, I can annotate the recording in real-time - good for highlighting or drawing moustaches - and quickly edit and export it afterwards.

Pros

Screencastify is so easy to install, easy to export and has some great editing and instant scribing features.

Cons

The only downside is that it's limited to Chrome.

Recording was made a premium feature in Google Meet

Paula from Topsfield Schools

Screencastify

I have been extremely pleased with the free version of Screencastify. The time limit has not been a problem.

Pros

Screencastify is an easy and straightforward site to capture screen recordings of all things on your device. Makes for powerful learning videos.

Cons

I wish I could change the default setting for the share feature of all my videos instead of having to do this one by one.

Good choice for tutorials

I use the extension primarily to make a tutorial videos for my trainees and audience. But recently I discovered that Zoom can actually record the screen perfectly without the annoying 5 min limit that screencastify bothers me with every time I launch the extension.

Pros

The feature I liked the most is that the extension allows me to upload the recorded video directly to my YouTube channel without the need of downloading it to my PC.

Cons

1. The limit of 5 min in the free version. 2. Takes much time to upload the video on my Google Drive.

Exploring new solutions

rendy from Cranium Royal Aditama

Best recording plugin in chrome

With screencastify, I can record and give a tutorial video to my clients

Pros

Just one click and you can start recording your screen with ease. They also have a feature to record mic, Desktop and browser tab

Cons

I don't have any issue with this software, the free account is also generous, they give up to 5 minutes to screen a record

Screencastify is awesome!

I use it mostly to record any procedures or even any task that I want others to get done. I show them step by step on what to do so that there is no room for misunderstandings and everyone is on the same page.

Pros

It is so simple to use. Just download the extension and viola! Whenever you need to record your screen with voice-over just click on the extension, choose your preferences, click record select which tab or screen (if you have multiple screens like I do) and wait for the countdown. And yes, you are able to choose how long you want the countdown to be. Once you hit zero you can start speaking and showing others whatever you want. This is great for tutorials and how-to videos. Once done you just click on the extension button again and select the "stop recording" option and it gets saved automatically to your google drive if you are online and when you are offline it will just save it to your computer. And that is it! I love using it for when I need to explain how I use whatever new software my company is trying to adopt and it helps me record the process so that I don't need to repeat myself when teaching others how to use the new software. I simply record my procedure and send the google drive link to everyone and they can view it wherever they are and whenever they please, repeating it, pausing it and downloading it like any other video. It doesn't take much space and it is very easy to understand on the first go. I recommend it widely.

Cons

You have to use it with chrome only. There is a limit to the length of the videos and you can only record a certain number of videos a month unless if you pay of course. The free version also adds a watermark to the videos but its small and in the corner and you hardly ever notice it.

Nick from Ramapo Indian Hills High School District

Simple and Effective Screencast Tool

I love being able to create flipped lessons for my students and staff with this tool and that it simply saves them to my Google Drive for easy access. This allows me to create lessons around common issues so that students can go back and watch them whenever they need to. This frees me up to spend more time conferencing with other students.

Pros

The best feature is that Screencastify is a Google extension that can record right from your web browser and then save directly to your Google Drive. This is great because it is very simple to share it out or give someone access to this recording. I also like that you are able to screen share as well as add your own image/picture in picture to this. This is great when you are creating flipped videos and lesson for students. Everything is pretty simple to use and quick.

Cons

One big hiccup is the fact that it only saves to a specified file type to your Google Drive. This is a problem if you want to upload this file to another program, or download and send as an attachment. I was able to find that there is a Google Drive add-on that is able to read video files and convert as needed. Also- under the free version you are limited to any editing tools, as well as time limit. I don't usually go over 10 minutes so this is fine, but you'll need the premium if you want longer videos.

rivo from Etech

Pour faire un tuto vidéo, y a pas plus simple

Handy, ça m'a aidé/simplifié mes tâches de formation

Pros

J'ai connu le screencast grâce à screecastify ; La création de mode opératoire et bonne pratique n'est jamais évident et les textes ne parles pas toujours à tout le monde. Une vidéo c'est simple rapide mais ça te montre quoi faire et comment le faire.

Cons

Avant, le temps d'enregistrement était de 10 min sur la version gratuite. Actuellement, ça a été réduit à 5... dommage, pour certaines manipulations ce n'est malheureusement pas suffisant et diviser une manip sur deux vidéos n'est pas ce qu'il y a de mieux.

Reasons for Switching to Screencastify

Goût du neuf et de la légèreté.

Barbara from PSISJS

Best screecasting tool for the money

I use this tool daily. I support school administrators and teachers with their student information system. Creating a screencast to actually demonstrate what I'm trying to teach or troubleshoot with grades, etc. is priceless!

Pros

It has a Chrome extension that when installed only takes two clicks to begin your recording. It also saves to your Google Drive.

Cons

The free version of this software does not allow you to edit your videos. I wish they included that. But the mere cost of $49/year/users isn't too pricy to get the editing feature.

Reasons for Switching to Screencastify

Jing was a free screencast tool but was very old and is a Tech Smith product. I'm not even sure they still make it, but it was cumbersome to use.

David from Platinum Apps

Amazing product - highly recommended!

The ability to quickly and easily capture screen recordings on my Chromebook and share them via Google Drive.

Pros

Easy to use, automatically uploads to Google Drive and creates a sharing link with 1 click, allows cropping duration or part of screen, selecting to record tab or whole screen, audio from tab, user or off. I've tried lots of other screencasting offerings and this is by far the best I've used. Soon after purchase I got in touch with some questions about how to do a couple of things and they were prompt and polite and answered everything. Seriously, this software is amazing and I use it most days and love it!

Response from Screencastify

Replied June 2017

David, Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm really glad to hear about your positive experience. Please do reach out if you have questions or more feature requests in the future! James

Paul from Alpena Public Schools

Easy, powerful and flexible

We started with the free version (limits to 5 minutes of recording and, I believe, has a water mark). After realizing that showing staff how to do something is more beneficial than creating "how to" documents, we purchased a couple licenses to try it out. From there, more and more staff wanted to use it and we currently sit at 15 licenses that we can "check out" as needed to any of our staff. No regrets in our purchase and our staff love it.

Pros

Very simple to set up and easy to use (even our non-technical staff use it often). Installation is simply adding a Chrome Extension and then assigning a license to an email account. Having the flexible licensing (allowing us to transfer a license from one user to another as needed) is great since recording videos, typically, isn't a daily need. The options are easy to understand allowing the user to share a desktop, browser tab and even show the presenter in-screen on the recording. The addition of drawing tools really enhance the entire package. Cost is low and well worth it.

Cons

Honestly, there is very little to not like about Screencastify. Any issues that we've had have always come down to user error (such as the webcam not being installed or plugged in). I did not rank customer service since we've never had to use them. That, to me, says volumes about how easy the product is to use.

Janet from Liberty High School

Industry: Libraries

Screencastify the most versatile screencasting software

This one tool provides more opportunities than almost any other for onsite and distance learning. It's easy to learn, easy to install the extension on Google Chrome, and offers integration with Google Classroom and the ability to export to YouTube. Great all-around video tool

Pros

My school district provides the upgraded version of Screencastify and it has been the best tech tool for teaching during Covid. It allows teachers to show students how to navigate a webpage, allows them to record with their face in the video or not, and offers so much flexibility for sharing information with kids. The editing tools are easy to use, and the options for exporting the videos are robust. This is an easy tool to use with so many possibilities.

Cons

I wish my blooper recordings could go away easier--I always feel guilty having the recording process and then putting it in the trash can!

Reasons for Switching to Screencastify

Ease of use, district upgrade license

Stewart from Anderson School District Three

Best Screen Recorder for Classroom Teachers and Students

I have been using Screencastify for years. Ever since I was a classroom teacher and now that I train teachers in my district and around the state it is one of my top 5 go to programs to show and use with all teachers K-12.

Pros

The ease of use coupled with it's integration into the GSuite platform makes this an invaluable tool for all school employees but especially teachers and even students to create and demonstrate learning at a fundamental level.

Cons

The free version is great but the lack of being able to do basic edits made it hard to implement across the district. However, at the current price point purchasing the district license is a no brainer.

Reasons for Choosing Screencastify

The GSuite integration and the cloud based... well everything. Nothing to download or lock to a device and the videos are stored in the managed Google Drive where we can ensure student safety.

Shane from Greenville County Schools

Just keeps getting better...

I use it for quick tutorial for teachers, reflections for students, recording directions. It's great for screen recording or making presentations with audio!

Pros

I've been using this product for about 2 years and it just keeps getting better! First off, the free version is great! What you get for nothing is hard to beat. The ability to quickly screen record a lesson, tutorial, etc. is awesome. And it's so simple to use. I also love that it links seamlessly with my Google Drive and other social media platforms. They are constantly providing helpful updates, as well. Plus, their customer service and help site is very helpful.

Cons

Due to fact that they update so often (which is good), it is difficult to keep up. Nothing major really changes, they just keep you on your toes with all the simple updates and changes they make!

Mary from Interviewed

I love that it can easily capture and store videos on google drive.

It's helps increase my productivity and communication between myself and my accounts.

Pros

Cons

The UI feels clunky at times. It is sometimes slow to start and while I understand that may just be my connection, the lack of an offline option is also a drawback.

Response from Screencastify

Replied June 2017

Hey Mary, thanks so much for your review! We truly appreciate it. One quick note - Screencastify does work offline (though of course you won't be able to save to your Google Drive until you go back online). So even if you're offline, just click record and everything should work fine - though again the video will only save locally until you go back online. Please let me know if you have any questions or trouble recording offline. Thanks again! James

Bryan from PrestoSports

I used this to make screenshots/videos

Pros

I liked the ability use keyboard shortcuts and to do screenshots or videos. The mark up features were useful as well to point things out to clients we send shots to.

Cons

I found that my library would get fill rather quickly and that many times we would have to remove old shots in order to take an share new ones. Sometimes when that happens the old videos we had shared were cut off and no longer visible.

Paula from Ccs

Great for instructional videos

Overall, it has been great! The videos automatically upload to my Google drive making it that much easier to share them with my students.

Pros

Cons

The share screen label will not go away. I can move it, but it is a distraction when I have to move to continue working out a math problem for my students.

Reasons for Switching to Screencastify

Our district needed a more uniform approach to reach students virtually. This platform has allowed us to teach face to face and virtually at the same time.

Bryan from Avon Grove Charter School

Great Tool but Pricey for Pro Features

Screencastify is a great, free screen recording program for people looking to get started with making videos.

Pros

Screencastify is simple and intuitive to use. If you are looking to make short screen sharing or presentation videos, it is a great tool. The video quality is high and the integrated browser add-on makes it easy to record quickly.

Cons

The price of pro features, at an organizational level, is a little pricey. Also, only allowing 5 minute video recordings in the free version seems a little short. All you are promoting is users making multiple 5 minute videos as opposed to one long one - still the same end game. Let the user have unlimited recording length and just brand the video for free users.

Luke from CAKE Software INC.

Screencastify Makes Screen Sharing a Breeze

This is an extremely useful tool as a Client Success Manager because it provides the perfect solution when an email would take to long and the issue or solution would not be as easy to describe over a phone call.

Pros

The Screencastify plug-in makes it very easy to quickly record my sceen and download it into a sharable video.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this tool

Erin from CIP

Acceptable Free Trial

Pros

I use the free trial version. What I like most about this extension is that it automatically uploads my videos to Drive once I am done recording! It is super easy to just quickly record a bunch of videos and find them exactly where I need them afterward. I love that it captures the screen I am using and I can narrate while moving around and moving between tabs. The audio is clear.

Cons

I use the free trial so I only have 50 videos to record every month, and if you need to re-record, it goes quick! Sometimes the videos take a long time to process in my drive and I will have to come back the next day if I want to do anything with them. I wish a popup would come up on the screen with a stop button. because going back up to hit the stop button sometimes adds unwanted sound and seconds to my videos.

Kiran from Charlotte Cafe Pvt. Ltd.

Industry: Restaurants

Screen Sharing Tools For Our Team

In a round-up, our team has been able to get training and share presentations remotely with Screencastify with convenience.

Pros

The remarkable thing is, this application can be added on the chrome browser through its extension and easily share live screen among team members for training and presentation purposes.

Cons

Unfortunately, the extension of this brilliant app is limited to the Chrome browser only and is not available for popular browsers like Mozilla Firefox.

Ginger from Education

Customer Service

Since becoming a paying customer, I have not seen the benefits outweighs the negatives. That might change, but first impressions are important when growing a business.

Pros

I have used the free feature for over a year and it has saved me some time on instruction per class period. With online learning, I needed to extend my instruction by a little more than 5 minutes, so I didn’t think twice to pay for the subscription.

Cons

The customer service infrastructure is terrible. I have made my second recording as a paid member and for whatever reason, the software doesn’t recognize me as being an upgraded member so it won’t let me download the file. I have contacted them over 3 times, filled out two forms over a 4-day period and have yet to receive anything except a blank response from a [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. I have followed all of their troubleshooting tips on their FAQs, so it must be something on their end. Either way, I will have to re-record using another service or postpone my lesson.

Jason from Assurance Healthcare & Counseling Center

If you email daily, you should consider Screencastify!

I use Screencastify to record short (between :30 second and 10 minute) videos for either marketing use, instructional use, or simply to reply in a personal way to an email from a friend, customer, or potential client. I use this weekly, and in certain seasons, daily. I love it!

Pros

I love the ease of use of this software. It's a simple Chrome plugin that you click, select what you want to record, and begin recording. Having it save automatically to either Google Drive or YouTube is amazing, and I love that I don't have to spend time uploading or fussing with editing. I simply love this software.

Cons

For what I expect it to do, I literally cannot find anything I wish more about this software.

Cristina from Midlothian ISD

Excellent Software

My overall experience was positive. It is very easy to use and there isn't a learning curve.

Pros

Screencastify is extremely user friendly. It is very easy to figure out. It has many great features such as how you'd like to record. Whether you want to include a picture in picture or just the screen.

Cons

The only con is that the free version only allows you to record for 5 minutes and you are not able to edit. I did purchase the yearly fee, which gives you access to recording longer videos as well as editing. I think that this is one of the cons for a teacher. I would like it to be a free resource for teachers.

Emily from AACPS

A Great, Simple Screen and Webcam Recorder

Through online teaching, Screencastify has been a staple of communicating with my students and families. It’s so easy to click a Chrome extension and start recording right away. The five minute limit on the free version can be a little challenging to plan around, but with unlimited recordings, it’s easy to overlook. I highly recommend using Screencastify!

Pros

Screencastify is extremely easy to use, allowing people to save recordings of their screen and WebCam very quickly straight onto their Google Drive or to their computer. The free version only limits you to five minute videos, but you can still save unlimited amount of videos, so that’s not a huge drawback! The program also has some quick editing tools, such as trimming and saving your videos as GIFs, but you’ll have to pay to get more of their editing tools.

Mike from mHelpDesk

MOST helpful

Pros

This is one of the most helpful and useful tools you can add to your computer. It has allowed us to create and share recordings with ease.

Cons

No cons, this program is easy to use and does a great job.

Marta from UC Davis GSM

Wonderful tool for sharing what is seen over several clicks without needing a screen share meeting!

I use this tool so much in my job. It helps with how the world does business today, which is not always face-to-face. It is a definite time saver as well.

Pros

I can capture several steps I take in a short video and share this with my support team who happens to be in a different time zone. This is often much more handy than taking multiply screenshots or scheduling a meeting. It speeds up the process of getting answers and moving forward.

Cons

I often record a video using the quick launch buttons only to later realize that I wasn't logged in to my account; I have to re-record my session.

Valentina from Information Technology and Services

Very Usefull!

Makes my daily work easier

Pros

Cons

No cons about screencastify. Perhaps it is sometimes slow to start and doesn't work if you don't grant permissions for webcam and microphone access.

Jeff from Logan City School District

Great, but there is similar products that are free!

I have used this a bit, and its been great. However, with a free premium version for educators, it would be hard to choose this over that.

Pros

Cons

When COVID happened we scrambled to start putting things into place. Loom became free for educators and students for life! Side by side they are identical, but Loom is FREE, which is a game changer in school districts.

Hope from Paris ISD

Great Way to Record Notes

Pros

When my school district chose to hold school remotely, I searched for a way to record my notes. After attempting a few similar products, a co-worker told me about Screencastify. I was so glad she did. It is super user friendly. I was able to use it with my Surface Pro to record my notes. You can edit your video and the program works in conjunction with YouTube. I upload my video and insert my link into Google Classroom. I continue to use this program to record notes for my remote learners.

Cons

The program is free for a limited video length. But you have to pay for the full version of the program to create longer videos. Trying to use the free version was difficult and stressful trying to make my videos shorter. It is worth the money to not stress out about the video length.

Tiffany from MVSD

A Life-Saver for the Remote Learning Classroom

During remote learning, Screencastify has been wonderful. The company really has taken care of Educators by providing free Unlimited memberships to teachers during the academic school year, enabling me to create longer videos and access more editing features. Many video recording services allow you to trim videos - cutting off beginning and ends - but this program allows me to trim from anywhere in the video, crop the video to focus on the most important parts, and also to add multiple videos together into a continuous stream. I have loved using it daily to record videos and lessons for my students, and plan to use it when I return to the regular classroom as well.

Pros

This program is easy to use, allows for video editing (trimming, cropping, adding text), and the videos are high quality.

Cons

The free version, understandably, has less features and limits video recording times. I would also love to see more editing tools.

Amber from The University of Arizona

Must Have Screen Recording Software

Amazing! Can’t believe I ever tried to make screen recordings without it!!

Pros

Screencastify is one of the best softwares I’ve purchase for recording videos of my work with overlaying of my voice and video content. Originally I got the free trial to test out the software. I loved it and even with the free trial Screencastify let’s you record 5 min videos! In order to make longer videos for school, I made the purchase and haven’t looked back. I haven’t found a product that makes it so easy to record your screen and edit in other aspects. Must have for teachers and/or assistant teachers.

jeff from sudbury ps

A different way to instruct

As an extension, it's always available and obvious in the upper right-hand corner of my screen so I never forget that it's there. It couldn't be easier, even for digital novices (like I was at one time).

Pros

I love being able to target instruction and directions by creating screen videos I can share with my students. I can differentiate depending on what students need. It's even good to show parents how to use certain tools we use at school. Plus, this can be used to give students a "double-dose" of instruction when they are at home or even provide instruction when I can't be at school.

Cons

I honestly haven't found anything that I haven't liked so far. It's just so easy to use. I guess if I had to nitpick, one has to upgrade for anything more than a 5-minute video, but that hasn't really bothered me.

Abby from EdChoice

Industry: Think Tanks

Great for User Support

Screencastify has dramatically cut down the time it takes for me to create user tutorials for supporting my users in various capacities. It's a great tool and a good value for the money.

Pros

I administer our nonprofit's database system. As an admin, a big portion of my job is ongoing user training. I used to build user manuals with tons of screenshots, which takes approximately forever. Now, I use Screencastify to do actual screenshare videos of the processes that I need to compile into user manuals. I also use it on a one-off basis to share processes with users if they're having trouble with something specific. The users love it, and it makes my job loads easier.

Cons

It does take a while to download the videos, but it's not that big of a deal.

Crystal from Surety Solutions, LLC

Praise for Screencastify!

Pros

I use the Chrome extension. I use the free version. The free version only lets you record for up to 10 minutes I think, but that is enough for me. It is intuitive, clean, and I love how all my videos instantly have a shareable link as soon as I'm done recording. You can record a single tab or your entire screen. Easiest thing out there. Other stuff requires downloads or there is a big learning curve. Not with Screencastify. I'm so happy I found it and so are our website developers! Explaining what we are experiencing (issues, bugs, etc) is super easy.

Cons

No cons. I'm so glad I found Screencastify. It has made my business life so much easier. I'm glad the free version gets the job done.

Phil from Epic News Network

Cheap and effective

Pros

I use Screencastify primarily to record how-to lessons for my students. There's a free version which works well, but it was well worth it to pay a little to get access to a direct mp4 download that I can edit without having to go through a file converter.

Cons

It sometimes takes a little while to get long videos ready for download and sometimes the program freezes during the conversion process. The video still exists, but you have to reload the page to access the download or restart the conversion process.

Great Screencast Tool

Great value, great tool. Makes communicating to remote team much easier on both ends.

Pros

Recording screencasts has made our internal communications and collaboration much more effective. Game changer for a remote team.

Cons

Hard to say anything bad. Maybe the processing times when uploaded to Google Drive (not sure if that is actually Google issue?) could be faster.

Jessica from Edina Public Schools

Lifesaver for ELearning

I am happy using Screencastify, especially during distance learning and during weather related school closures. It makes recording lessons easy and sharing links with families is simple.

Pros

I like the various features to record a tab, whole desktop, or use the web cam. This allows me to vary lessons for students so that it's not constantly a recorded google slide presentation, but can feature me talking, or other tabs as needed. I also like how easy it is to navigate, especially as someone who has never used software like this before.

Cons

The audio can be staticky and broken up at times, even with changing the input. It is not terrible, but at times, audio tends to cut out.

Lauren from TVUSD

Screencastify Review

I use this to teach a lesson, submit work, and make short videos.

Pros

This is one of my favorite softwares. It is so simple to use and easy. I am not a tech person, by any means, and this makes me feel like I know what I am doing. After watching a short clip video on how it worked, I was able to do it no problem. I love how I can make a powerpoint, show it, then have my voice in the background. It is so nice and just very convenient. Or if I need to switch between my face and the powerpoint I can do that.

Cons

I do not like that I cannot go back and fix a mistake if I make one. I have do the whole thing over again. That is the only annoying problem I have with this.

Valerie from Carver Elementary

Saving Me From Stress

Screencastify has helped lower my stress level at this time having to teach from home. In just a few days, I have many videos to share with my students.

Pros

I like that it is easy to use. Also, due to having to teach from home, the company has given us access to the ultimate version due to teachers having to teach at home.

Cons

So far, since I have only been using for a few days, I have not come across cons. It has been amazing.

Walkthrough videos made easy!

We use Screencastify for our training videos. This makes onboarding new users easier as they have a easy to watch reference that they can refer back to. It also makes it easy to record a new video for when a new proceedure develops. It can be recorded once and sent out to everyone in the company for review.

Pros

Screencastify is really easy to set up and start making high-quality training videos. Since its a chrome extension it can work on any major OS including Windows, Mac, and Crome OS. You can record offline and easily store your videos via Google Drive or on youtube.com.

Cons

Screencastify does not have an option to embed custom watermark at this time.

Tito from IFSD 91

Typical Screen Sharing Software

We have used this software for many screen related trainings, recordings, and tutorial creations. It works will, but has noted conflicts with other software that need to be addressed.

Pros

Has all the features one would expect with a screen recording application. The overall user interface is easy to use and understand.

Cons

There is nothing special about this application. The one issue I would say is a con is that this software crashes our remote conferencing software is used in conjunction. So the primary reason many of our users use this product, recording virtual meetings, is impossible.

Natalie from Prairie du Chien High School

Great Lesson Recording Tool

I began using this when my school shifted to remote learning in March 2020. Since then I've found it a great resource to use when my students are unable to attend classes and I can explain everything through video ahead of time. This saves me writing a lengthy email they may not read!

Pros

I love using this software to pre-record a lesson. The best feature is that it allows me to crop it once I'm done so I can make sure only the parts I need are saved.

Cons

It takes quite some time for a recorded video to download onto my chromebook, which means I have to wait before editing, which is a minor annoyance.

Ruyen from Cold Hole

Screencastify Review

Using the product was very helpful. Recording tutorials made easy with tools accessible on the side. Thanks a lot, Screencastify.

Pros

The good thing about Screencastify was it easy to learn the basics of operation using the product. And at ease, videos recorded can be uploaded directly to YouTube. With features of having the webcam embedded.

Khristina from Southwestern City Schools

Screencastify

Screencastify is a wonderful choice for recording lessons and read alouds for teachers. I was able to easily record myself teaching a lesson or reading a book and then insert the link into Google Classroom for my students to view.

Pros

It was so easy to download and to use. I love that the icon stays on the toolbar and that it truly is a one-click tool. I also liked that I could send/save the recording in multiple formats.

Cons

I would love to see filter options for the face and background choices for those that do not like to be on camera.