• Pros

• "Great product for the money. Very easy to use. Mobile app functionality is great. Messaging is very easy to use on both ends."

• "Easy of scheduling. I really like the intuitiveness of the product. The support is very responsive as well. "

• "The software is very easy to use. Even our older employees are able to learn how to edit their hours, and the app works great!"

• Cons

• "The group chat feature looked nice, but the notification capability isn't as fast and efficient as a texting group chat like GroupMe."

• "Administration can be a little clunky due to "action area" issues in their code, but overall a good tool. "

• "Sometimes this app can end up being seen as over detailed and confusing, but once you get into it, it's easy to use."

Browse When I Work Reviews

Trish from Pet Resort Dallas

Industry: Veterinary

Great software for teams of all sizes

I've been using this software for 5 years, first as an employee then as an employer. Ease of use for both parties is fantastic and it's well worth paying for to save the time. When I change places of business, if I have a choice, I will choose When I Work again and again.

Pros

- Shift templates, makes scheduling a lot easier - The ability to copy and paste any shift, even faster than clicking and choosing - Simple to add and remove employees - App is fairly easy to use - Time clock is awesome, easy to use

Cons

- Looking at the full staff schedule on a particular day can be tedious. - For those making schedules, it's so much easier to do on a computer - In order to have a printed schedule, it downloads the PDF which you then have to print. I wish this printed right off the website.

Reasons for Choosing When I Work

The hourly staff scheduling that comes with Gingr leaves a LOT to be desired and has a lot of catching up to do to even be basically useful.

Response from When I Work

Replied July 2019

Hi Trish, Thank you for taking the time to review When I Work, and your feedback is appreciated! We are always looking for ways to make improvements and appreciate users like you that provide feedback so we can enhance and improve When I Work! Best, Amanda

Sarah from Stone Tower Winery

Industry: Wine and Spirits

Takes the work out of scheduling

We have been incredibly happy with the program. We went from spending 8-10 hours scheduling each month to 1-2

Pros

It is incredibly easy for both the employee to enter their availability and the manager to appropriately schedule. We love that we cant schedule somebody if they mark themselves unavailable, avoids confusion and holds the employee accountable

Cons

The inability to attach files to an email

Reasons for Choosing When I Work

The video training was so easy to understand and charming, it was a no brainer

Response from When I Work

Replied November 2019

Hi Sarah, Anna here from When I Work Customer Care. Thank you for taking a minute to leave us a review! I definitely understand how the ability to attach a file to a group email could improve When I Work. We have just released a new feature called Document Storage that your team may be interested in. I've linked an article that outlines the feature below. https://help.wheniwork.com/articles/document-storage-release-notes/ Thanks again for leaving us a review. We're happy to hear that When I Work is saving you time and preventing confusion. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/. Have a great day, Anna

The Best Scheduling Tool On The Market

In my restaurant this helps us servers to communicate about who is going to be working at what times. For example if I was sick and wasn't able to work a morning shift, I would put it in the group chat and know that someone could take my shift!

Pros

I enjoy being able to see a detailed, easy to read schedule through an app on my phone. It is insanely easy to use the app. It also gives you access to different group chats within the company, and to have the ability to swap shifts and communicate with co-workers which I love.

Cons

To me, this software was life-changing. The one thing I like least is that the business that I work for while I'm on campus doesn't use it, making it harder to read their schedule.

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2020

Hello - Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for us! So happy to hear that you're enjoying the simplicity of the app and ease of viewing your schedule, along with our WorkChat feature! We do work with multiple workplaces, so if your campus team has questions, we'd love to hear from them! Again, thanks for that great review! Kindly, Adrianne

ellen from bakery

A good option for timecards and schedule.

Initially it was a good solution for employee scheduling. We added the time clock after about 8 months and it has served its purpose. It allowed us to not use a google doc to schedule employees. It is a a good scheduler but not as great of a time clock.

Pros

My employees can use the app to get alerts and check their schedules. Employees can swap shifts with my approval. The time card is integrated into the schedule app. It is somewhat easy to use. We have used this software for about 2 years. When we first started with them there were not a lot of options out there. And it served its purpose. Our employees seem to like using it.

Cons

There are several cons. I think the price is too high for what you get. Trying to process the time cards is very cumbersome and not very easy to understand. We run 24 hours a day and this software is not well suited to a 24 hour clock. Overall I spend too much time trying to understand how to use the time clock - punch in/out- and it is really frustrating. Also- their customer support is really pretty horrible. There is not a way to call someone and you have to submit an email to support and it can take them a bit to get back to you. Issues with time cards are things you want an answer for right away and they do not offer a quick response. Also- you really have to use a desk top to process the time cards and it does not function so well with google chrome- I think safari works better- but I prefer to use chrome. There are glitches with it that are just frustrating.

Response from When I Work

Replied September 2017

Hi Ellen! Thanks for writing us a review! We appreciate the feedback you provided to us. I am happy to hear that you are finding the scheduler helpful. I am, however, bummed to hear that you have had difficulty contacting our support teams. You always have access to live chat within your account, simply by clicking on the chat bubble within the green toolbar. If additional training on the Attendance tool is something you would like, please just let our support teams know and we would be more than happy to provide you with that. We strive to provide the highest level of support to our customers and we hope that we can meet your expectations moving forward. Have a great day!

Erin from Born Colorado Brewing

Scheduling made simple

Overall we have loved using When I Work. It makes scheduling seamless and reduces the amount of time we spend on employee schedules. We also really love the reminders and text alerts as it makes it easy to communicate with our team quickly when things change.

Pros

When I Work is so easy to use, it is simple to add employees, great for creating shift templates and the chat features and shift drop applications make changing the schedule simple for employees. As a manager these features are awesome as they reduce the amount of time that I spend re-working the schedule.

Cons

The only challenge we have faced is that we don't have access to the task list as we don't pay for this version of the application. We would love to try it out to see if it is a good value add for us.

Reasons for Choosing When I Work

We liked how easy it was to use, and how many add ons there are included with the basic account.

Response from When I Work

Replied March 2020

Hi Erin - Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a lovely review! I'm so happy to hear features we offer like Shift Swaps & Drops and WorkChat have been so useful for you. It's awesome to hear that scheduling has gotten easier as well! We'd be happy to discuss our Tasks feature and see what options are available for you. Feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist! Again, thanks so much for this lovely review! Kindly, Adrianne

Maria from Green Table

Best so far

This app is saving a lot of time in terms of scheduling for managers and really helpful for employees as well in terms of switching shifts or internal communication.

Pros

In terms of scheduling this is the best app, easy to see requests off or vacations, easy to set-up reminders, the shifts can be dropped and picked up with just a click away, easy to create schedule base on the sale, easy for employee chat or contact information.

Cons

I'll love for this system to be able to integrate with Payroll, but that's the only big downside. The second one is that for cross-trained employees (working several positions/roles) is not allowing the pre-set shift scheduling until you change the role that was initially assigned.

Reasons for Choosing When I Work

I don't remember, but I think it was the price.

Response from When I Work

Replied January 2020

Hi Maria! Thank you for utilizing When I Work and for reviewing our application. We love hearing your praise for When I Work.

Rachel from Desert Cactus Films LLC

Industry: Motion Pictures and Film

Easiest Software to Make Schedules

Pros

I used quite a bit of scheduler software in the past. I'm really skilled at using Kronos for 100+ employees but on a smaller scale with my small business I love the functionality of "When I Work". It works on all platforms and notifies my employees when they are scheduled or if things get shifted around. Love that it also has a picture display of each employee. It these little touches that keep me coming back from more. Love it!

Cons

To be honest, with the ease of use and easy access of the user interface, I have no complaints about this app and would recommend it to any small business owner out there. I will continue to use this long term for my business.

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2020

Hi Rachel - Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a lovely review with us! We're thrilled to hear features like shift reminders and schedule notifications are so helpful for both you and your employees. Again, thank you so much for the lovely review! Kindly, Adrianne

Dawn from Freelance

Easily keep track of your schedule and your employees.

I love working when When I work because it has yet to fail me. I'm notified of shifts and all the info provided seems up to the minute updates (timesheets). I enjoy both the app and website.

Pros

I like that the interface is simple and very easy to you. Everything is clearly labeled and very navigational. I enjoy the simplicity as it doesn't look cluttered. You're given the info you're looking for instantly and clearly. It is easy to when I work (no pun intended) as well as when my coworkers or employees should be on shift.

Cons

I wish there was more color to it. Make it seem more inviting and not so... boring. In that aspect is too simple. But that's just me being super picky because overall this product is great.

Response from When I Work

Replied March 2020

Hi Dawn, Katie here with Customer Care at When I Work. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review - we appreciate it! We are very happy to see the app has been easy to navigate and provides you with the information you need. And thanks for the feedback on the colors - we are always looking for ways to improve the product! Please let us know if you have any additional feedback! Thanks again, Katie

Alex from Course Hero

great for scheduling folks!

it was great and i liked the flexibility it offered a lot

Pros

great for knowing when to report to your shift, and as a manager i liked the ability to notify folks

Cons

maybe some of the app features are not as robust as they could be, and the easy of use on the admin side

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2020

Hi Alex, Thanks sharing some of your favorite features - like the ability to notify employees! We are always working to release updates and enhancements to our software so we appreciate hearing from you!

Kailey from ACG Home Cares LLC

Great Software

My experience with when I work was great for my start up. Although I switched to another software it had nothing to do with the quality. It was simply that I went with a software specialized for my industry and in doing so often missed some of the features of When I Work.

Pros

This software was easy to set up, there was no waiting. It was nice that employees were able to use it for everything; schedules, time clock and requests off.

Cons

It’s ability to create repeated schedules was somewhat time consuming. There was a lot of dragging and nothing that could be set up on easy repetitive cycles.

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2020

Hi Kailey, Thanks for taking a moment to leave us a review. It's great to hear that the app was easy to set up for your team. Quick implementation is something we take pride in. We do have some additional features, like schedule templates, shift templates, and copying the previous week, that have been developed to help with repeating schedules. It's a bummer that your team is no longer with us, but I understand! In the future, if you have any questions or concerns that come up, feel free to reach out! https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ All the best, Anna

Jonathan from Production Glue

When I Work Keeps Us Working

WIW is extremely helpful to us at our company because we spend the majority of our day scheduling employees for various events that we run every week. Creating a schedule and assigning employees to it is super simple, as well as keeping a database and logging hours for our employees on site. It's all very user friendly and easy to use/look at. Their customer service team is always there to help and are super friendly. We have had many people who have been added to this platform, and have had no problem learning how to use it. It has been really great for us and helps us run smoothly. They have also been actively engaged with us to help us find solutions to the improvements we have requested.

Pros

When I Work is a great product that our company loves to use. We love how easy it is to create a schedule and assign employees, and all of the features are very easy to work with and aesthetically pleasing. We also like the ability to keep a detailed database of employees in the system. Their customer service team has been very friendly and are always there to answer our questions in detail. It is also a great platform for time tracking and exporting time sheets every week to send to payroll. Overall, it's the best platform we could have found to help us do what we need to do every day.

Cons

A couple features we wish they had: - The option to create a preferred list in our employee database (A-list, B-list, C-List, Do Not Call List, etc) - The option to be able to look at all events at once on the Time Tracker for the day (right now you can only look at one event at a time, which is hard when we have multiple events and sometimes forget which ones are happening in a day) - To have a log of attendance (who was late, who called out, who was a no show) that is linked to a person's profile so we know who the problem people are (maybe a color coding that's like "green" if they are good on attendance and then gets closer to "red" if they have had several call outs/tardies) - A way to add the zip code of an event to a schedule/job site that shows up on timesheet exports - A way to send a crew memo or mass notification ("this shift has been cancelled" or "this shift has had a time change, please confirm") to all or selected crew members via WIW.

Reasons for Choosing When I Work

Not sure - we have always used When I Work as long as I've worked for this company.

Response from When I Work

Replied August 2019

Hi Jonathan - Thank you so much for such a wonderful and thorough review! We're so happy to hear that you're loving the features we currently offer! I love the suggestions you've shared as well. We are always interested in hearing about your experience with our product and how we could improve. Again, thank you for your kind word and fabulous review! Best, Adrianne

Allison from New Scooters 4 Less

Scheduling Made Easy and Quick

Pros

The site is very easy to understand especially for a software that is so robust. I can't tell you the value there, but it is so much appreciated. We have saved a lot of time and miscommunications while using When I work. The attendance notifications help me to keep track of where our team is hour-wise on an individual basis and as a whole. It's nice that I am alerted, one less thing I need to remember to check on. In conjunction with the Forcast reporting, I have a very clear view of the week ahead. The apps are handy, especially from the administration side. I am able to update time clocked hours on the fly, check everyone's schedule and separate out my own, I can even handle time off requests. I haven't ever attempted to schedule through the app, although knowing how intuitive everything is through their online site, I would venture to guess it would be a piece of cake. I know our team members enjoy having their schedules and hours readily available in their pocket as well.

Cons

We have had a couple issues with clock-ins through the apps. There have been times when it isn't recognizing the location or the punch doesn't make it all the way through. But that's it! I would love if this software could manage our PTO as well, but we haven't found a way to make it work with how our times are calculated.

Response from When I Work

Replied January 2019

Hello Allison, Jaime here from the Customer Care Team at When I Work. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! I'm glad to hear that you find When I Work to be easy to understand and that it has helped your team save time, assist with communication, and help you keep track of when your employees are clocking in/out. I am sorry to hear that your team has been experiencing a few issues clocking in from time to time. Feel free to reach out to us support@wheniwork.com at any time and we can dig into this further as to why this is occurring. We'd also like to hear how PTO works for your company to see how we can assist. Thanks again for the review! Take care, Jaime

Miguel from MiAGon LLC

Scheduling Resources Has Never Been Easier

When I Work is truly a great tool for scheduling. Use it for forecasting as well to determine where you can make the best use of your resources across one or more projects. This tool also helps you understand what your organization is capable of handling. It will definitely save you from scheduling headaches and the potential issues around delivering work when you are better able to have full visibility across all your teams and the projects they are working on. A great stand alone tool, as well as a great integrated tool.

Pros

When I Work is a simple and truly effective time scheduler for resourcing projects in your organization. You can track across one or more projects, as needed, and identify time availability for the work that needs to get done. This is often one of the most challenging aspects of keeping projects on track and very few project management tools can help you like When I Work can. Unlike the "capacity" view of other applications, When I Work gets down to the most granular details. It allows you to identify when and where a team member will be used, including time-off, breaks, lunches, meetings, etc. You can use these categories to identify how best to allocate their time. The scheduler allows you to see teams based on shift or positions (roles). You can track un-paid breaks and time off, as well as customize schedules and create templates for reuse. You can even create specific shifts for one time or recurring use and maintain notes on each entry. It also provides high level visibility of total individual team member capacity as well as what is scheduled and what has already been used. View your teams across one or more projects or job sites and distribute resources across them all as needed. It offers program-like management of projects and does not restrict you to individual projects, which can become cumbersome when re-allocating time of one team member across two or more projects. When I Work is a great tool for planning, or simply use it in addition to your project management application. Its scheduling features make it a powerful tool that lets you forecast as well, by easily making changes in schedules as needed. You will spend less time manually calculating your resources and where to place them, saving you time and money. Changes to any schedules are easy to see and the responses are easy to manage. When I Work also offers features like task management, which allows you to manage projects of less complexity in the same application. And if you are looking for integration, yes, you can use their library of APIs for that. But, you need to click on the developer link at the footer for more details. Their integration features are not prominently displayed on their website.

Cons

No cons I could personally find for the application and its use. Integration via APIs are present, but this is more for organizations who have techs who can implement them. I have seen organizations with limited development capabilities due to their areas of expertise, where integrations might pose a small challenge... but this should not necessarily pose as a true con for you.

Great scheduling app with tons of features!

Scheduling is EXTREMELY easy! Long gone are the days of paper postings and random email messages. It is VERY nice being able to reference your entire schedule from the moment it is posted, going all the way back to your initial employment. Even those with little to no computer experience can use it fairly easily.

Pros

It is EXTREMELY easy for the end-user to utilize this software. There are also some pretty good mobile applications that it offers which makes tracking your schedule very easy!

Cons

There are a lot of overly-helpful tips and suggestions that constantly spam the administrators' email accounts and scheduling interfaces. (Essentially the company does this to assist the administrators, but there is no way to stop it, which makes it very annoying after awhile). The mobile application can also be buggy at times, and the website schedule does not work properly on mobile phones that don't have a "desktop view", as the website does not have a mobile version designed for it. This forces you to use the mobile app on mobile devices unless your mobile phone can display it in a "desktop view". On a normal computer interface, this works just fine.

Response from When I Work

Replied March 2018

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to review our app. We are glad to hear that When I Work is making scheduling easier for you and your team. If you are having trouble unsubscribing to our emails, please reach out to us at support@wheniwork.com and we would be happy to help get you unsubscribed on our end. At this time When I Work is only supported on our web app via computer or or on mobile apps on Android and iOS devices. Our team is prioritizing consistency and parity between our web and mobile apps. I would make sure that you have the most updated version of the mobile app for the latest enhancements we have made. Thanks, Adrian When I Work Team

Pam from Plato's Closet

When I Work made scheduling and communicating to all employees a breeze!

Pros

The ease of the program. It was very user-friendly. Scheduling used to take 2 hours, but it was cut down to 30 minutes with WhenIWork. I love that I could customize the shifts. I especially loved that employees had to acknowledge their shifts. There was no more miscommunication that an employee didn't see their schedule. It's also been a great tool to get staff on the same page. The ability to message everyone at once was awesome. Plus the program tells you which employees have viewed the messages. It also has the option for employees to clock in via the app and you can link it with payroll. Employees are able to submit requests for time-off or vacations. Everything you need is in one place. The customer support team is available immediately through their live chat. They have always been very helpful and friendly. Absolutely a wonderful program!

Cons

The only thing I would modify is to have the ability to block off certain dates for requests. That way an employee wouldn't be able to request off Black Friday for example.

Response from When I Work

Replied February 2018

Hi there Pam! Thanks for the great review! We are so happy to hear that you find so much value in When I Work! In addition, we do have a way to block off days that you don't want your users to request off. You can create a Schedule Annotation in 'Week View' by clicking the 'Chat Bubble' icon next to the date. You will just need to fill in the details of the annotation and select the box for 'Don't Allow Time Off'. Here is a guide that walks you through that: http://bit.ly/2nzroHJ Feel free to reach out to us at support@wheniwork.com with any questions :) Sincerely, Kara -When I Work Team

Deborah from AVC

Industry: Veterinary

The software has made the impossible, possible for scheduling employees

I think scheduling would not be managed as well without this software.

Pros

I love that employees can indicate when they are available and when they are not available. I love that they can put in requests for time off which helps me not rely on myself for remembering. I love that there are additional features for rate of wage. I like the attendance and I can see if employees are showing up late or getting into overtime. There is a budget feature which I have not used but think would be very helpful in the future.

Cons

I wish that I could have the option of excluding some employees when sending a general email through WIW. I also wish that open shifts were always a different color especially when looking at the schedule by position. This would bring my attention to the open shift and alert me that someone is needed. I wish I could publish an employees schedule out for more than 1 week.

Response from When I Work

Replied December 2017

Hi Deborah, Thanks for taking the time to review When I Work. We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know When I Work is helping to make your teams¿ and your work lives easier! When sending custom email messages to your employee's you can select which employees you would like to send the email messages to, by clicking on the "To" field and selecting their names from the list. There is not a way to automatically change the colors of the OpenShifts. Instead managers would have to manually edit the OpenShifts and change the colors on the Scheduler page. When it comes to publishing the schedule, you can use the advanced publishing feature to publish the schedule for any desired date range: https://help.wheniwork.com/articles/publishing-the-schedule-computer/#advanced-publishing If you have any questions about When I Work, please check out our help center at https://help.wheniwork.com/ or email our Customer Care team at support@wheniwork.com! Thanks, Adrian

September 2016

Nicola from Superhero in Disguise

Industry: Facilities Services

September 2016

Does what it is supposed to

I loved this product until a setting (that I didn't touch) mysteriously changed itself, causing my subscription to increase significantly. I didn't notice it for 14 months. When I addressed this with When I Work, I was told that their policy is to not provide credits or refunds - in this case even when it seems it was them that had overcharged. I have gone from a very satisfied long-term customer, to one who feels like When I Work is not there for its clients at all. And I am suspicious that others would have their background settings changed as well (I didn't even know what or where it was).

Pros

It's visual and simple. It schedules down to 15 minute increments. It makes a very dynamic schedule like ours, easy to manage and understand.

Cons

It would be good if a shift automatically started from the time you first click on the schedule. It would be good if they understood how tricking and overcharging their customers leads to a complete lack of loyalty. Buyer beware! Just keep on checking your subscription amounts each month. As if you don't have other things to be occupied with.

Response from When I Work

Replied September 2016

Thank you for the feedback and we are happy to hear the product is meeting your scheduling needs. We pride ourselves on our customer service, and it's a primary reasons so many business owners choose When I Work over other options. We understand your frustration in this situation where you enabled a feature which was underutilized. When I Work does not change billing settings without the explicit written consent by the Account Holder. We also email out an invoice to Account Holders for every transaction made to ensure clear transparency. When I Work's flexible and transparent billing allows businesses to only purchase what they need. For some of our customizations, such as international text support, there is a recurring monthly add-on fee. All pricing customizations are clearly listed on the Account & Billing Page and prior to consenting to the recurring payment- we require the Account Holder's consent to our Terms of Service, Refund Policy, and Privacy Policy.

Helen from Faden Builders Inc

User Friendly, Easy to Use and Understand.

Pros

DASHBOARD : Upon logging in, the dashboard shows the exact total amount of time and money put it by all employees. That way, I can see if there is something out of the ordinary as long as I know the average expense we put on the payroll. AS AN ADMIN/PAYROLL/SUPERVISOR: I can customize who can view and edit the time of the members in the team. Typically, I give part of admin rights to the team leaders or supervisors. This way, it saves my time in editing login errors and focus more on the whole organization. If I want to do a roll call, I can do it at my desk in one glance. It helps me organize the schedule of the whole organization for next week's work operation and post it when it is finalized. No more excuses such as "I didn't know". At the end of payroll period, reporting is a breeze! AS A USER WITH LIMITED ACCESS : As a user, I have limited view of the data. I can only view my own hours. Which it is what I'm supposed to only see. I can watch my hours and limit myself to working more than 40 hours per week. I can send my Personal Time off and wait for the admin's approval. As a contractor employed by the organization, I can post my time availability. I don't have to go back and forth talking and negotiating to the supervisor. I can do this remotely with an app.

Cons

So far, I have nothing least to say about this software.

Response from When I Work

Replied October 2019

Hi Helen, Thank you for utilizing When I Work and for this awesome review! We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know When I Work is helping to save some time and make your teams' and your work lives a little easier. Best, Vicki

Joey from Joeys Balloon Company

Makes my life SO much easier!

Scheduling is a BREEZE!! You just have to try it yourself. There are way too many features that simplify my work load to list. All I know is that my business runs smooth as heck because of WhenIWork.

Pros

the software is great, but the customer service is OFF THE CHARTS! I wasn't a very tech savvy guy when I first started using WhenIWork, so I was constantly chatting with customer service and they were always extremely helpful, found answers if they didnt know the answers, and sent a handwritten personalized thank you card when I first joined. This is an example of a company that does things RIGHT! I love the scheduler, but also the hire feature, auto-assign, and the work chat allows me to email my entire team (as much as the employees change) without having to update a contact list email.

Cons

My business is strangely specific, so my needs are very specific. WhenIWork covers all the bases for me except being able to load saved shift templates from the mobile app. I can publish them from the mobile app, but I can't load them unless I'm on a computer. Which I am most of the time, so it's not that big of deal. I don't use a few of the features besides the scheduler, but having the options to use HIRE, TIME CLOCK, and other features are very helpful to other business mangers as well.

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2019

Hi Joey, Thanks for such a fantastic review! Your reputation precedes you as a great customer to chat with, I have heard about the balloon pirate ship! We're so glad you're continuing to enjoy When I Work and that it has made running your business smooth! Best, Terra

Lindsay from Rose-Hulman's Homework Hotline

We started using When I Work to do scheduling and time clock for our 130 desk-less employees

It saves us a lot of time. We have 130 college students that work for us and they are always swapping shifts or need a shift off for an exam or something like that. They can do all of that through When I Work and I don't have to be the middle man in any of that anymore. It also helps hold them accountable. It makes them acknowledge their shifts and tells them that they are still responsible for the shift until someone accepts it (and notifies if/when it is accepted). It is nice that they get that reminder every time they need to drop a shift and I don't have to find them and remind them all of the time.

Pros

We love the fact that our employees can access it on their phones. Our employees are college students, so being able to use it on a mobile device is crucial. Our old program didn't have that functionality. I also like that I can go in and move someone's shift to "open" for any other employee to accept. Since our employees are college students and anything required for a course is excused from work, so it is really nice to be able to go in and move a shift for an employee that has an exam or something like that. I also like that employees have to acknowledge their shifts.

Cons

Two things - I can't go in and schedule just one person. We are on a college campus that operate on quarters. I would like to be able to look at an individual schedule for a certain time period and edit it as necessary, but that functionality doesn't exist. My employees are frustrated with the notifications. It is great that someone can do a "drop shift request" that goes out to all of the other employees, but it is frustrating to get 10 emails about that. We (mainly our hourly employees) wish there was an option to get the notifications in a digest once a day instead an email for every single notification.

Response from When I Work

Replied November 2017

Hi Lindsay, Thank you for leaving a review! It is great to hear that When I Work has been able to improve your scheduling process and save you time. You have provided great feedback here. I can see how the ability to view/edit an individuals schedule could be a valuable feature. Our goal with the notifications is to keep everyone as informed as possible, but I understand it can be a lot if your schedule has many weekly changes. I will be sure to pass these ideas on to our product team! Thanks again! Matt

Lisa from Adventureworks

Makes scheduling super easy!

Pros

This product is super straight forward and very user-friendly. It is very easy to use the scheduler as well as keep up with employee hours on the Time Tracker. You can easily edit attendance if your employee forgets to clock out and sending messages to the whole group is super easy with the group message feature. The online based platform is great and the app is the perfect way to post the schedule without having to send out emails of spreadsheets etc. Notifications come straight to your phone regarding scheduling changes, shift swap requests, time off requests, and even when your employees forgot to clock in. Notification alerts are easy to change in settings. There's even a setting to get a reminder 2 hours prior to your shift so in case your schedule is constantly changing, its so easy to keep up with it!

Cons

The satellite/gps location isn't as good as it can be with regards to clocking in. Sometimes it will not let you clock in due to being "too far away" when you are standing right at your work. The app sometimes freezes up when clocking in/out or takes a while to process a clock in. So then when you press "clock in" again, it'll actually clock you out.

Response from When I Work

Replied February 2018

Hi there Lisa, Thank you for leaving us a review! We are so happy to hear that you and your team finds value in When I Work! If you continue to run into issues with clocking in and out, please feel free to email our Customer Care team at support@wheniwork.com. Our team will help get the issues you are experiencing resolved. Thanks again for the review! Hope you have a great day! Sincerely, Kara -When I Work Team

Maria Lenin from Agent1099

Manage staffing, scheduling, and attendance of your team for free

Pros

It’s a great application if you handle a large team and you need to keep track of your employees schedule, time clock , and shift staffing. It can handle up to 75 users. We used this application when i joined a part time job in sales. And it was easy to set up both in desktop and mobile. And when i logged in I can see all members of our department in the Team messaging feature. You can easily read and track all conversation within the team. Choosing your shift or schedule was easy. Just add the shift or schedule you chose for up to 2 weeks and the Manager can view your schedule for the day. Time clocking was easy, just press the IN button and break button if you are on break. Its an awesome application and whats good is that its free to sign up and use these features.

Cons

Well since its free, the features and function are just limited to what the employees clicked on the app but no screenshots of their desktop or other feature that other time applications have that can testify that the logged hours are indeed productive. Unlike Some paid applications that would have integrations to payment system after approval of hours, When I Work does not have other app integrations that would be complete the staffing and accounting system of your business. But so far everything went fine for this application, and moving through features or tabs does not hang and does not have much errors.

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2019

Hi Maria, Thanks for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful and detailed review! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the free version of When I Work so much! If you are ever interested in any of the paid features, feel free to check them out at wheniwork.com/pricing Best, Terra

Amy from Marion County Public Library

Industry: Libraries

A lifesaver for someone wearing many hats in the small business realm

When I Work is truly a wonderful tool! Being able to create templates, duplicate shifts, make on demand changes to the schedule and allow staff to even clock in from their own devices saves time and money for a small business such as ours. I would and have suggested it to other libraries in my region.

Pros

Our facility is small and I am the director of the library as well as the HR person, shift manager and other such titles. When I Work has saved me hours and hours every month by making the process of creating work shifts for the employees that I manage. It's incredibly easy to use. Simple to add and take away employees. Easy to change shifts with just a click.

Cons

One occasion there are updates to the program and I go in to make changes not knowing this. That can cause a few moments of confusion but the changes are almost always for the better and easy to understand after a few clicks.

Reasons for Choosing When I Work

The cost and simplicity of the program with a big factor. When I Work is very economical and has great turn around time for customer service questions or trouble shooting.

Response from When I Work

Replied March 2020

Hi Amy - Thank you so much for this delightful review! I'm so happy to hear that our features for scheduling have helped save you time while working! Features like shifts swaps, and scheduling shortcuts were created for that very purpose! We do make changes on a regular basis to help enhance the product. Typically, we'll provide a pop-up with some details on those changes, but we're always happy to help answer questions via email or live chat through the Need Help button. Again, thank you so much for the wonderful review! Best, Adrianne

Liz from YMCA of Northern Michigan

Fantastic Tool!

I will never go back to the old way. When I Work has revolutionized my work day.

Pros

I have numerous staff working different jobs at different locations. Previously I was using Excel to schedule them all. Keeping track of days off and their class schedules was next to impossible. Letting the staff request time off and set their availability streamlined the process drastically. Since switching to When I Work my time spent scheduling has been greatly reduced. The mobile app is very helpful for my employees. The ability to designate positions is also very valuable. A large portion of my staff work in a child care setting so there are rules about qualifications necessary for each shift. I can designate which staff have which qualifications so that only eligible staff can be scheduled for a specific shift.

Cons

I don't believe I have any cons. Occasionally when they change or update something it will cause an issue. I contact their customer service and it is corrected immediately.

Response from When I Work

Replied April 2019

Hi Liz - Thank you for this amazing 5 star review! I'm so happy to hear that the features and options we offer meet many of your business needs and make your job easier! Availability is one of my favorite features we offer since it helps managers get more time back and empowers employees to manage their time! Thank you again for this great review! Kindly, Adrianne

Brad from Pacific Parasail

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

When I have to work, I use "When I Work" to make sure I get to work when I'm Supposed to!!

Overall, I really like this Software. It is very affordable for my small company! It has some features and functionality that it's competitor's just simply did not offer. So I actually use 2 different Time tracking softwares. But my employees use this one. If I was forced to make a choice on either "When I Work" or one of their competitors, I would probably have to choose "When I Work". They really do include everything my small business needs and more when it comes to scheduling and time tracking needs. The Geo fencing and Chat feature within the Software is just great. It really takes a lot of concern away from me. It allows the employees to be a bit more free and manage themselves and still be held accountable so I do not need to micro manage. It's hard to Explain, but just try the Software out and you won't be disappointed!!

Pros

The functionality and features offered are by far the best thing about this Software. Ease of use, and control of use. Fairly Intuitive, and addresses most all of my needs for my small business!! The Cost! This software is very affordable for a small company.

Cons

I think that the Customer Support is not up to Par. The only way to get support is via Chat or to submit a Ticket. I have been ignored or neglected in the past, and just needed some help and no one was available and Did not respond either. This was when I first started using the Software and so it left a bit of a bad impression with me... I wish the Reports were not just limited to CSV files. I wish the reports were nice and clean and well presented like some of their competitors offer...

Response from When I Work

Replied March 2019

Hi Brad - Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and share you're feedback with us! I'm so happy to hear that When I Work has met a lot of your business needs for managing your team. I'm sorry to hear that your past experiences with our Care team haven't met your expectations. We currently offer support via live chat and email. These channels allow us to provide support effectively and efficiently for all of our customers at this time. If you are encountering any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to us so we can help out. We can be reached at support@wheniwork.com or via Live Chat as you referenced. Kindly, Adrianne

Christopher from Frazzini LLC

When I Work User

Pros

The When I Work software is great at keeping track of my work schedule. On the Dashboard, it notifies me of my next upcoming shift, the date, and the time. It tells at which location I am working and what my position will be. It also tells what coworkers that I am working with during that shift. I can go into the schedule tab of the software and see what days during the week I am working. The software will also tally up my total hours that I will work per week. This is helpful because it allows me to see who is working and who is not so I can get a shift covered. The software also allows me to put in requests in advance of dates that I want to request off.

Cons

The availability scheduling feature takes some time to learn how to navigate. It is somewhat difficult to fully schedule availability. If you make a mistake and accidentally alter the availability for one day you have to go back to that day and fix it before adjusting your availability.

Response from When I Work

Replied February 2020

Hi Christopher, Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I am glad When I Work helps you keep track of your shifts, the shifts of your coworkers, and helps with getting the time off you need! If you have any questions about Availability Preferences please submit a ticket, we are happy to assist! https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/

Stephanie from Christian Child Care, Inc.

Do you have around 30 employees? THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED!

We love the ease of communication with this software. Work Chat is a HUGE benefit for us. Many of our employees check this feature better than checking their emails! We also love the "copy and paste" feature. We are able to copy the current week's schedule and then paste it to the next week. Then we make minor adjustments to the schedule, save and publish to all employees with a click of a button. Then scheduling is DONE!

Pros

We love this program for the ease of communication with all of our employees. Communication is always something we strive for and with ever-changing schedule needs, this program eliminated our extra steps to be sure everyone was communicated with. With the quick change of a schedule, those affected would receive a notification immediately and know what their new upcoming schedule would be.

Cons

So far anything that we have had concerns with, we were able to contact WIW employees and it was addressed and fixed or we were educated in how to make that process work best for our center!

Response from When I Work

Replied March 2019

Hello Stephanie - Thank you for this amazing review and 5 stars across the board! We are SO happy to hear that you've found When I Work to meet your business needs, your staff find it easy to use, and the features we have are exceeding your expectations! In addition, we appreciate the feedback that our Care team was able to help resolve any issues you encountered! Thank you again, Adrianne

Timothy from SkyWheel Myrtle Beach LLC

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

Great tool for managers and employees!

Pros

The ease of navigating the app. Being able to put the scheduling software directly on the phone of the employees is outstanding. We also really enjoy utilizing the messenger tool. Its a great way to speak to everyone in an efficient manner.

Cons

We dont like the add drop portion of shift scheduling and changes. As a management staff we would like to use this but it has been difficult to create a process do to implement this do to it not requiring a manager approval.

Response from When I Work

Replied January 2018

Hi there Timothy, Thanks for taking the time out of your day to review our app! I am happy to hear that When I Work has made communicating with your team a little easier. I will certainly pass along your feedback about the Swap and Drop feature to our team so we can look into improvements that would make the feature more user-friendly. In the meantime, we do have a way to turn on 'Manager Approval' for Swap and Drop requests. This means that when the Swap and Drop request is made, the request will first be sent to a Manager to approve before the request is sent to other users to pick up. The Account Holder or a Manager can turn on the Manager Approval setting for Swaps and Drops from their 'App Settings' section via the web. They will then need to navigate to the 'Scheduling' section of the App Settings to enable Manager Approval. If you have any questions, you can reach out to our Customer Care Team at support@wheniwork.com. Sincerely, Kara -When I Work Team

Rachel from SkyWheel Myrtle Beach

Love When I Work. Easy to use, and the customer service is outstanding!

Being able to go paperless was the biggest benefit. Also, the ease of the software makes it easy for Supervisors to make schedules and track hours.

Pros

Love the ease of the software, super user-friendly. Also, like that it is easy for all generations to use. Love that all requests can be made online, helping to eliminate paper.

Cons

Would like to see more options for tracking employee hours as far as the reporting goes. Also, other features like tracking employees who work different positions, and being able to report on those hours. Also would like for it to track employee hours who no longer work with us anymore. Don't like that once the employee is removed from When I Work, all of their history is removed as well.

Response from When I Work

Replied January 2018

Hi Rachel, Thanks for leaving us a great review! We appreciate hearing from you! I can definitely see how more advanced reporting and export features could be of use to you and other users. I will be sure to pass this along as a suggestion to our development team. In addition, you can view the schedules and timesheets for past users by pulling up a 'Schedule Export' or a 'Custom Timesheet Export' and setting the filter to 'All Employees' so your deleted users populate on the report. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our Customer Care team at support@wheniwork.com and they will be happy to help with whatever you may need :) Thanks again! Sincerely, Kara -When I Work Team

Sam from Entertainment

Scheduling Entertainment

Schedule 30 to 40 shows a month across 12 performers is a lot to keep track of. WIW allows me to quickly assign performers to shows. The Notification to the Performers is great and the Reminder 2 hours or so before the Show is excellent... At one point we were doing shows every weekend and were using the OPEN opportunity. I would publish the date and time the opens would be published. Performers would be able to pick the show they wanted based on thier schedule. Being able too publish OPEN shifts in 1 push was very easy to do. I would fill an entire month of shows in about 15 minutes ... VERY efficient.

Pros

The monthly view give me the opportunity to see all scheduled shows and the assigned performer for each. So when customer calls with a specific data and time, I can easily confirm the opening and assign a performer to the show.

Cons

The ability to schedule repeating monthly/weekly events. While "every week" is ok, it does not allow for more complex calendaring such: as every 3rd Wednesday in every month, or every other Monday through out the year. This was a feature in the ORIGINAL WIW from 18+ months ago. There was a small ICON (an elliptical arrow icon) in the "TIME" dialogue box. When clicked it would allow for such complex scheduling ... PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2019

Hi Sam, Thanks for such a fantastic review! It's great to hear that your scheduling has been made more efficient through the use of OpenShifts. Thanks also for your feedback in regards to repeating shifts, we're always looking for ways to make When I Work more useful for our users. Best, Terra

Brenda from SlideBelts Inc

The software you didn't know you needed

Overall, I am satisfied with the software. I especially love that they incorporated a lunch break feature and even rolled out the live time clock to help you track your lunch!

Pros

I've been using WhenIWork for about 3 1/2 years now and the best feature that I enjoy about this software is that I can utilize my phone to track my clock-ins and outs. I travel a bit for my job and being able to clock in at any time without having to jump on a computer is great!

Cons

I love that it gives me a notification when I have an upcoming shift or when I haven't clocked into a shift yet (something you simply forget) but WhenIWork always sends me a notification that I haven't clocked out even when I have clocked out from a shift. I am not sure why it recognizes that I have clocked out but still sends me a notification that I haven't done so. It might just be a personal problem though.

Response from When I Work

Replied March 2020

Hi Brenda - Thanks so much for taking a moment to share feedback with us! I'm so happy to hear that you're loving the ease of using the app on the go with tracking your time! We're really glad our features like mobile clock in and breaks are so helpful for you! If you're running into an issue with your notifications, feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist! Again, thank you so much for the review! Best, Adrianne

Jeremy from MeyerPro

Industry: Broadcast Media

When I Work does a great job @ scheduling basic & repetitive schedules & an ok job when it's complex

Scheduling of our complexity is more or less possible with this software. It would be a huge headache otherwise.

Pros

It simplifies communication with staff and freelancers, pushing updates to them en masse. It is an attractive UI and the app functions pretty well. Support is responsive and communicative.

Cons

The permission levels need a lot of work. They are limited and global so you really don't have much control over who sees what. You can't copy a shift from one week to the next, this seems kind of basic, especially if an event spans multiple weeks it's inconvenient to have to build the shift twice. It would also be nice to have the ability for someone to view a schedule at a location other than the one they are scheduled at...for example, someone in one office wants to see if someone in another office is scheduled to be available or not without showing up in that locations schedule. Currently this is not possible.

Response from When I Work

Replied April 2018

Hi Jeremy, Thanks for taking the time to review When I Work! We are happy to hear that When I Work helps simply scheduling and communication for you and your team. I will let my team know that you are interested in seeing more control over the When I Work permission levels, schedule views, and the copy shifts feature. Thanks so much for your feedback on this! Adrian When I Work Team

Kelsey from University of North Dakota

Makes scheduling a breeze!

I love it! Have I said that enough? Give this software a try if you're in charge of scheduling any number of employees. They can have it as an app on their phones, too, so it's super easy for everyone to use.

Pros

I love this software! I manage 50 student employees, and until I discovered When I Work, scheduling them was the biggest headache! This makes it so easy. I have each of them input their weekly availability, and then when I go through each week to create our schedule, I can quickly see if someone is available for a certain shift. They can request time off, request to drop shifts and offer it to another student, and confirm shifts. I can't say enough good things about When I Work. It's easy to figure out and has made a world of difference in keeping our ambassadors accountable for their shifts.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about this software. We've been able to manage just using the free version that allows me to schedule shifts 10 days out, and it's been great. In the future I would love for our office leadership to approve using the purchased monthly subscription, but I'm so grateful When I Work has the free version because we've been able to give it a try and have found that it's an amazing scheduling tool.

Response from When I Work

Replied February 2019

Hi Kelsey, Marie here with the Customer Care team. Thanks for taking the time to write us a review! We love hearing that When I Work has made scheduling so much easier for you! I am glad you are using the availability feature and swap/drop feature to help schedule as well. If any questions come up please reach out to us at support@wheniwork.com. Cheers, Marie

Sarah from Texas State Aquarium

When I Work was a game changer for our scheduling needs

Pros

This is a very user friendly software. We are able to quickly create, edit, and distribute schedules to our large staff. We love that the staff can quickly submit time off requests, send us messages about their schedules, and even drop/swap shifts if necessary, within moments of the schedule being published.

Cons

When I Work is a very proactive company, and they make software updates often. The only bad thing about this is that it can some time for us to adjust to changes that are made, and occasionally there are small glitches. But overall, I would say I am more satisfied that they are proactive in expanding what the software can do, than I am disappointed in these occasional issues.

Response from When I Work

Replied April 2018

Hello Sarah, Thanks for the review! That is awesome to hear When I Work was a game changer for your team and that you are enjoying the ease of creating shifts and the time off and communication features too. I appreciate your honesty about the software updates. We want to make sure we are meeting your needs so if you have any suggestions about how we can make the update process better for you and your team or if are any issues you would like us to look into, please contact us at support@wheniwork.com. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to help! Sincerely, Cara - When I Work Team

Ken from Danny’s Cycles

When I Works works for me!

I do not have many employees on my schedule - only 10, but Incan whip up a schedule from scratch in 5-10 minutes.

Pros

It makes scheduling a simple task AND adds features like schedule templates open shift offering that are icing on the cake! Customer support is responsive and very helpful.

Cons

I would really like a link to view an employee’s full availability directly from the weekly schedule. I have made a request, which was acknowledged in a very positive way. It hasn’t happened yet, though.

Response from When I Work

Replied August 2018

Hi Ken! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to review When I Work. That is amazing you are able to whip up a schedule in 5-10 minutes using When I Work. I agree that the OpenShift and Shift Template features make things easier too. I can definitely understand wanting to see availability while scheduling and I wanted to make sure you know that availability for employees does show on the weekly schedule page in the triangles you see in the corners of the app. If nothing is there, it is assumed the employee is available. Here's a link to our guide that explains more about seeing availability when scheduling: https://help.wheniwork.com/articles/interpreting-availability-on-the-schedule-computer/ Thanks again for your kind words. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email us at support@wheniwork.com Sincerely, Cara - When I Work Team

Taylor from Forest Glen

review of when I work

it has helped make sending out the schedule easier, as well has helped keep track of previous schedules. it has also made our timesheets easier being all on a phone or a computer. all in all its pretty good, but I do wish it ran a little smother, and did not have so many glitches.

Pros

it helps put the schedule and timesheets all in one software, it will send out the schedule to all of the employees with one click, it can be used from a phone

Cons

It seems to have a fair amount of glitches, I have had it delete full schedules, autocorrect times to something completely different, and it jumble around shifts. I also think it is pretty pricey per employee on it.

Response from When I Work

Replied December 2019

Hi Taylor, Katie here with Customer Care at When I Work. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and provide feedback - we really appreciate it! We are happy to see the app has been beneficial in keeping track of your schedules and timesheets all in one place - it definitely is a convenient feature! Sorry that you have experienced some glitches with the app. We would be happy to assist with these to make sure they don't continue to occur. If you could send an email to support@wheniwork.com with the details of what you are experiencing, we would be happy to further assist. Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback. Have a great rest of your day! Best, Katie

Bob from Goyette Mechanical

Could not preform my job with out When I Work

I work on small and large project. When I work helps to project how long man power will be tied up on large project, which helps forecasting, cost of labor, project schedule, when we can schedule the next project. On small projects is makes a clear line of communication between the project manager and the field personal, so that everyone is on the same page when it comes to scheduling.

Pros

Create's a standard line of communication between management and field personnel. Also helps the field personal to be prepared for their next task.

Cons

I work on the road a lot. The program is much easier to schedule personal from the desktop than it is from using the app on a device. Although it does not affect me all the time, it would be nice to see an interface on the device that was more similar to the one on the desk top. At least just for scheduling.

Response from When I Work

Replied October 2017

Hey Bob! Thanks for writing us a review! I am so glad to hear that When I Work makes communicating with your team easier and helps you be prepared for things that come up throughout the day! Thank you for the feedback as well in regards to the interface on our app. I would agree - working on a desktop is much easier when building the schedule. Hopefully we can make improvements to our app to aid in making the schedule build easier. Have a wonderful day. :)

Corey from Seeds

Simple and Dynamic Scheduling

Overall a great and functional software, yet could certainly be cheaper to be more competitive.

Pros

Easily the most attractive thing about this software is the approachability and ease at which one can create a dynamic employee schedule as well as an open line of communication between employees. Everything about When I Work is very intuitive and malleable, and thus is a good solution for those operating a business.

Cons

The least attractive thing about this software is the cost of it compared to other similar products, and the lack of flexibility inherent in the availability of employee function.

Response from When I Work

Replied October 2018

Hey Corey! Julia here, with When I Work Customer Care. I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful review! We greatly appreciate both your valuable feedback and the time it takes to let us know your thoughts. In your comments, you mention the cost of the application. We do strive to provide the very best value through continued product enhancements and outstanding service. While we do offer premium features at a cost based on the size of your account, we do offer a free version of When I Work with limited features that allows you to schedule up to 75 employees. More information on our free plan can be found here: https://help.wheniwork.com/articles/how-does-the-free-plan-work/ Please let us know if you have any questions by sending us a note to support@wheniwork.com. Thank you again for the review. Take care, Julia -When I Work Team

Helen from Town of oLds

I love this product, have looked at others that are similar but I still think this is best in class.

it is not THE answer to scheduling numerous part time staff around their shifts, but it is definitely than paper or excel spreadsheets. staff can access everything remotely and easily. Drop shift and pick up shift function is great. I have just started tracking hours and I really like that feature.

Pros

ease, functionality, rollover capability , copy and paste function, excellent customer support. Staff really like the app function of the software. I prefer to do things on desktop, I enjoy that. I can easily add/remove/assign staff as is necessary. I can block days easily. requests arrive immediately.

Cons

it is more expensive than other similar products. I cannot limit each employee's availability (I called and tried, found a solution, not best, but still a solution)

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2018

Hi Helen! Thank you for taking the time to provide your helpful feedback. I'm happy to hear that the ease and functionality of the app has made scheduling your team more efficient. We appreciate your feedback on limiting employee's availability and will pass it on to the appropriate team. If there's anything that we can help with, please don't hesitate to send us a note at support@wheniwork.com. Thank you again for your feedback! All the best, Megan When I Work Team

Tiffany from Vertical Endeavors

Where functionality meets community

Increased communication with employees, beneficial blog posts to pass along to our management team, and a system where we have experienced no down time

Pros

When I Work seems to be the culmination of every scheduling manager's "But I wish I could......" statements. It is intuitive, flexible, and easy both during set up and for the end users. It also helps that the customer support and company culture are inviting and informative.

Cons

What I like the least is the fact that my company is currently stuck using a different Time Clock system so we don't use that specific functionality that When I Work offers.

Response from When I Work

Replied December 2017

Hi Tiffany! Thank you so much for your kind words. At When I Work we do strive to make the software intuitive and the set up as easy as possible! I will pass your compliments to the team! We aim to be as informative and friendly as possible. I also love our blog posts :) I am sorry to hear you feel stuck with your current Time Clock System. If you ever do want to look into other options please give our Attendance & Time Clock software a try. We offer a 30 day FREE trial. Feel free to reach out to us at support@wheniwork.com if you have more questions about those features. Thanks again for your time. Have a wonderful day! - Cara When I Work Team

Brice from Anchorage Pediatric Group

Managing time tracking and schedules for roughly 50 people

Easy Staff Scheduling

Pros

It is really easy to use and employees really like being able to see their schedule and coworker's schedules/time off and that they can be notified when something changes. Setup was really easy too, and so is the maintenance of positions and shifts - so much better than paper calendars and pencil.

Cons

The time tracking doesn't meet par - there are gaps in what you should be able to track - like someone on a 4-10 schedule needs to have different OT parameters than others ( not possible to do).. things like that.

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2018

Hey there, Brice! My name is Julia. I'm with the When I Work Customer Care Team. We wanted to personally thank you for leaving such an awesome review! It makes our day to see that the app has helped with a more efficient workflow. I do understand how having the option to set individual overtime thresholds for employees would benefit you and your team. I've forwarded your inquiry on to our product team. They love receiving customer feedback and will surely appreciate this. Thanks again for taking the time out of your busy day to let us know how we are doing. We appreciate you and are grateful to have you as a member of our When I Work Community. Sincerely, Julia -When I Work Team

I Love This App

This app has been great to us. It saved me hours of work i was previously doing in Excel. Also it expedites coverage by alerting the staff of open shifts.

Pros

This app takes all the hassle of building schedules and covering shifts completely our of the operation. It's versatile working across iphones and droids, has a web interface, and can even send direct text messages to your employees. I'm a big fan of the approval process for managers regarding time off and shift swap. I also like the employee export features that show time off used and (a different kind of export) a quick contact sheet when needed.

Cons

The option to print a schedule always prints in alphabetical employee order. I'd like an option to print in employee POSITION order.

Response from When I Work

Replied September 2018

Hi there- Thanks for leaving us a review! We are so glad to hear that you find value in the app! As for printing the schedule by position, I can certainly pass this along as a suggestion for our development team to look into implementing this in the future! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us here on the Customer Care team at support@wheniwork.com. We are always happy to help! All the best, Kara

Maija from Zeel

Good visual presentation of team schedules

The greatest benefit of When I Work is the visual presentation of the schedule. I can see at a glance who the scheduled manager on duty is thanks to the color-coding. I can also see when my teammates are scheduled so I know who might be available in the event I need to swap a shift with someone.

Pros

I like that I am able to see my schedule and the team schedule as they are posted. It's very handy to have a color-coded visual schedule as well, so I can see at a glance which team members are on which roles. I also like that I have the ability to enter time off and shift change requests. My team does not utilize the feature that allows open shifts to be posted so employees can pick up extra shifts as they become available, however I like that the option to do so is there.

Cons

I wish that I had the option to sort the team schedule by shift time so I could see who I will be working with by day at a glance, as opposed to scrolling through the list of scheduled team members sorted by name.

Response from When I Work

Replied January 2020

Hey Maija - Thanks for taking a moment to provide a great review for us! It's great to know that you're finding the app useful and the color coding is helpful for you! I appreciate the feedback on different ways to view the Schedule! We're always open to feedback and suggestions! Again, thanks for taking the time to give us a review. Kindly, Adrianne

When do I work?

Overall I enjoy the easy and simplicity of picking my shifts with this app. Its easy to navigate and for the most part has very few bugs.

Pros

When I work is great for keeping track of your shifts and signing up for new ones. It makes it easy for employeers to let employees know when new shifts are available and employees can easily pick and choose when to work and keep track of their schedule. If you don't like to keep track of your schedule yourself you can set up reminders and notifications to alert you when a shift is coming up or when your employeer adds a new shift to the schedule.

Cons

Depending on the size of the company you work for, picking up shifts can some times be hard. Most shifts are limited by how many people can pick them up so its often first come first serve. If you miss a notification it might be too late for you to grab a shift which may mean you wont be able to work that week.

Response from When I Work

Replied December 2019

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review for us! We're glad that you've enjoyed using When I Work for keeping track of your schedule, including the shift reminders feature. I can definitely understand any frustration about missing the chance to pick up OpenShifts, and we really appreciate your feedback about this. Thank you again for taking the time to share this with us! Best, Briana

Sue from Tix4Tonight

Best option for our unique scheduling

We were using an Excel spreadsheet for scheduling for years; it was becoming unwieldy. We also had employees frequently misreading their schedules and arriving at the wrong time or to the wrong place. WiW is much easier to manage than the Excel schedule, and by using text alerts our employees make far fewer errors in viewing their schedules.

Pros

Flexible to adapt to our scheduling needs, easy to learn, easy to train staff, responsive to questions or when needing assistance

Cons

Sometimes new features aren't explained before they're rolled out

Reasons for Choosing When I Work

It was the only one that fit our primary need of scheduling employees at various locations throughout the week without having to run multiple schedules. The generous trial period let us really poke holes in it to make sure it would work for us and that we would be able to get our employees onboard without too much difficulty. We got to test the heck out of it.

Response from When I Work

Replied May 2019

Hi Sue - Adrianne here! Thanks for taking the time to write us such a great review! I'm really happy to hear that the app is easy to train and learn on! If you ever have questions about our new features, please don't hesitate to reach out to us! We're happy to assist! You can submit a ticket here: https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ Again, thanks for the review! Take care, Adrianne

Levi from Gatehouse Coffee

So Helpful

Excelent, it is an extremely useful tool, before we had all of our schedules in an excel file and it made it really hard an complicated, but now with 'When I Work' it is all so much easier to understand and pick up and drop shifts.

Pros

I love the functions and ease of picking up shifts and getting to see the schedule for your workplace, the fact that you can see who you are working with and what days. I also love the chat for communication with you co-workers.

Cons

The thing I least liked about the software was that it sometimes lagged, while also can get confusing to see when there is shifts available, but besides that it was a great platform.

Response from When I Work

Replied November 2019

Hi Levi, Katie here with Customer Care at When I Work. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! I'm glad that it's been helpful in seeing who you are working with and in communicating with coworkers. Our apologies if you are experiencing lagging with the software. We would be happy to look into this for you. Please feel free to send us an email at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ with details on what you are experiencing, and we'd love to further assist. Thanks again for the feedback. Have a great rest of your day! Best, Katie

Stephanie from Mathnasium

Industry: Individual & Family Services

When I work Impresses

Pros

I like the way this software sends you an email before your shift everyday to remind you about your schedule. This is a good feature for people that don't have a regular work schedule. You can also change the time you get the alert. Originally, I would get a reminder two hours before every shift, I was able to change the reminder to four hours before every shift which worked much better for me.

Cons

My least favorite activity with this software was entering my availability for the coming month. I had no trouble entering in days that I was unavailable or times that I preferred to work. The trouble I had was when I had to enter in time limits on my availability. If I could work on a Tuesday from 3-7 and we were open into 9, I would have to enter 3-7 as my preferred time to work and 7-9 had to be entered as unavailable time. Whenever I had differences in availability on the same day the software was difficult to manage. Eventually, it got easier but I was not popular with the IT people for the first two months.

Response from When I Work

Replied March 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and provide a review. We are always striving to make changes that will help managing hourly employees become easier and your details on what you like or don't like are helpful for us to understand what changes we can make moving forward. If you have any questions or additional feedback, please don't hesitate to reach us at support@wheniwork.com so we can assist.

Rosa from Freelancer

When I Work Software Review

For a startup company, it is useful to have a nice and easy way to keep track of everyone's schedule, working time, salary rates, etc. This is a good solution, instead of having all the information in separate emails or google calendars that do not meet the needs entirely. It has its issues, but I overall would recommend to check it out, especially if you have a limited budget but you already have multiple people working with or for you.

Pros

- Simple and clean UX/UI - Easy to keep track of everyone's tasks - Nice and multiple features like adding notes, editing time entries, etc. - Flexible to work with multiple users - Works nicely when you have multiple employes and need to keep track of multiple schedules, locations, etc. - Nice support team - It has medium cost, so small to medium companies can afford it - You can also organize bonuses and salary rates. - Very colorful - Flexible to customize according to your needs - Employees can indicate when they are available, instead of using emails to notify their working hours

Cons

- Mobile app crashes constantly and it is not well designed. - Too much email spam - Still has a couple of annoying glitches happening from time to time - Dashboards and reports could be improved so you can make them more detailed.

Response from When I Work

Replied December 2019

Hi Rosa! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to know that using When I Work has made your work life easier and we appreciate your feedback. Thanks again! Kate

Michaeal from Rocky Creek Veterinary Hospital

This has saved me SO MUCH time in scheduling

Overall I am so thankful for this software. It has saved me so much time and effort in scheduling. We have a staff of almost 50 and used to hand write out schedules. Since discovering When I Work a few years back, I have been able to cut my time spent working on schedule down to a 1/4 of the time it used to take and i can write out a month of schedules at one time!

Pros

Easy to use. No need for paper schedules and paper requests. Easy to communicate with my team all at once. Easy to keep track of time off requests to make sure they do not get lost or forgotten. No one can claim they lost their schedule! Easy to enroll new employees and make schedule adjustments! I love that i can also print out hard copies to post in the office for everyone to see. The copy previous week feature is by far my favorite part. Not having to recreate a schedule each week is so nice!

Cons

I wish it was more mobile friendly for when i need to make changes on the go.

Response from When I Work

Replied March 2019

Hi Michael - Thank you so much for providing such a great review! We're so happy to hear that using When I Work has saved you time and you've found it easy to use! Kindly, Adrianne

Super Easy Scheduling Software!!

Overall, When I Work is a great tool that allows multiple people all with different availabilities to be easily scheduled. Love that there is an app for both iPhone and Android users so none of our staff have any issues with trying to use it. Super easy to navigate and haven't had any issues in the years we've been using When I Work.

Pros

This is one of the most user friendly and simple to navigate scheduling software. A lot of our maintenance technicians aren't the most tech-savvy people and they all were able to quickly figure out how to use When I Work, both the app and the web version. I also like that I am able to set reminder notifications before my shift. That feature is really helpful for my coworkers, since not everyone works the same schedule every week.

Cons

As a user, I honestly don't have any complaints. One of our managers is the one who makes the schedules, but I haven't heard him say anything negative about the product.

Response from When I Work

Replied April 2019

Hi there! Thanks for such a glowing and thorough review! It's great to know that you are having such a good experience with When I Work for years now! Best, Terra