All Descript Reviews

Stu

Game changer!

Zaiba

For Perfect Transcriptions

This is a must-have product that will simplify your life. You won't realize how much time it saves until you use it. Fortunately, there is a fantastic free trial to try it out. The shortcuts are really useful and will save you a significant amount of time. There is a lot to learn, but once you do, the software will save your life.

Pros

1. Descript's key feature is how it transcribes your audio and converts it into an editable word document. I was astounded to discover how simple it was to effectively cut and paste words while simultaneously moving the audio waveforms. 2. It makes use of the Google speech to text engine, which has been demonstrated to be the market leader in numerous studies. 3. Transcripts are attractive and are designated by individuals. With just one click, you can securely send transcripts with video or audio.

Cons

1. It becomes slow with time, and you must pay to utilize it on a regular basis. 2. Although the automatic, entry-level version of Descript has a transcribing accuracy of roughly 95%, there are still grammatical problems. 3. It takes longer than I expected to look over transcriptions and revise them later, so I have to spend more time correcting the transcripts even during my working hours.

Reasons for switching to Descript

Otter.ai does not provide 600 minutes of free transcription services every month. Hence I had to make the switch.

Best tool I've found for editing podcasts and producing transcripts and .srt files

I think if you come from a video or text editing background, Descript will make perfect sense to you within seconds of watching their intro vids. I come from those backgrounds and that was my experience. Yesterday I gave a training session to a colleague who also has editing experience and he immediately took to it and mastered the basics as well, despite not having a hardcore tech background. It really does feel like magic when you start using it and completely fix a long and rambling guest answer in minutes. As I mentioned in Cons above, I've had problems with it in the past, and at the time I started testing Otter as an alternative in case I needed to switch. But I preferred Descript and I think it has better tools, and I've had no problems since then while using it several days each week for 6 months.

Pros

1. That it does such a good, incredibly fast job of transcribing and assigning speaker roles 2. That it combines separate audio tracks into a sequence so you can make edits to an entire production, but *also* gives you the ability to drill down into individual tracks for really fine-tuned edits. 3. That it combines audio editing and text editing into a single interface, so you can literally edit your audio track as if you were editing a Word or Google doc. I never imagined that this could be an interface or should be an interface, but after seeing it for the first time, the concept clicked into place for me and I immediately took to it. 4. That it auto removes filler words and phrases, BUT even more important, kind of magically smooths over (most of) the cuts so that you can't tell a cut was made. It doesn't always work perfect, but more than half the time it does, and it feels like I'm working with software from a sci-fi future. 5. I want to say I love their Overdub feature, where you can deepfake your own voice (or someone else's on your team if they give you permission, I think--there are some privacy rules in place that I haven't fully explored). It also feels like a sci-fi technology. However, in my day to day usage of this tool, I never use Overdub because I'm almost always editing other people who aren't Descript customers. I'm eager to test it one day with my own voice recordings, but for now I can't really give any feedback on its effectiveness.

Cons

1. At the end of 2020 I had some bad experiences with server-side delays and edits not being saved properly, which reminded me that some of the core functionality for this service is beyond my control because it's not happening locally. On the other hand, I haven't had any problems since (it's been about six months). 2. They update the software very frequently, and often make changes to the interface at the same time. I now just prepare myself to deal with a relocated UI element whenever there's an update, but I don't enjoy the fresh challenge each time it happens. Rapidly making incremental improvements to functionality makes sense to me, but I'm not sure it should be the approach for UI improvements since that can be so destabilizing to a user's workflow.

Reasons for choosing Descript

Better pricing, more features, better functionality.

Nathan

Potential game changer for podcast editing

The concept is amazing and could save hours on a podcast edit… but, it just doesn't work correctly or as you would expect a lot of the time. Once the automated transcription improves and the workflow stabilizes, this could potentially replace the various tools I use to edit audio and video.

Pros

The ability to edit an interview or podcast just by editing the text is incredible. The workflow is fairly straight forward – import audio file, choose how to transcribe, wait…, edit the transcript & audio in various ways, export or publish as needed.

Cons

The automated transcription is good, but not great. There are always little errors that seem obvious to a human – capitalize the first letter in a sentence, don't capitalize a word in the middle of a sentence, abbreviate doctor as Dr. when a name follows, etc. – and they seem to always show up, even when they've been corrected previously, so it's unclear whether the 'machine' is actually 'learning'. The app appears to not be built as a native app for macOS which means it lacks certain core features. The most annoying to me is that the window always opens in the default size (i.e. small) and never remembers the sizing or positioning that I choose every time I open it. The developers are rapidly adding features, but almost too quickly. Once I get used to a feature or function, it doesn't take long for the menu item to be changed or moved (Share, Export, Publish all do similar–though different–things, and have each had their turn as a unique menu item or being grouped together in various ways). I got very efficient at correcting the transcription (which, unfortunately, must be done frequently) until they changed the entire process of editing the transcript.

Reasons for choosing Descript

Descript has the potential to do it all – transcribe, edit, publish – for one subscription.

Emily

Made scaling my podcast agency so easy!

We've been able to scale from one podcast client to 20+ in less than a year, and have onboarded 2 editors. It's making it possible for my business to scale rapidly, and revenue to skyrocket!

Pros

I love that I'm able to collaborate with my editing team so that we can implement quick changes from clients no matter who is available. It was super easy to bring in new team members and train them on the workflow as well. I also love how the transcripts make it so much faster than other apps to edit - the combo of seeing words + waveforms (and the search/delete option) cut editing time in half.

Cons

Clicking and dragging still needs some work, not sure yet about the new toolbar. I also really would like to be able to use VSTs to denoise easier, right now the workflow starts in Audition or Pro Tools for any processing (our clients honestly don't understand that they need to record in quiet spaces) and then we bring it into Descript to do the edit.

Reasons for choosing Descript

Just ease of editing & ease of collaboration. Adobe is a significantly higher cost to collab with, and definitely doesn't have the same level of collaboration capability.

Reasons for switching to Descript

Easier to edit with the transcript

Rowan

Excellent for podcast editing

I love Descript and have recommended it to several other podcast editors who now use it too. I use it for a "story edit" of each episode, taking the full audio then chopping and rearranging it, plus taking out filler words etc. You can do compression/EQ/music/bumpers/etc. in Descript but I prefer to export to a full blown DAW for that part. Descript would be great for this stuff if you are editing your own podcast and audio engineering isn't your primary focus.

Pros

Being able to edit text and have that automatically edit the audio is an amazing time saver. I was skeptical of the quality of edits this would provide, but 95% of the time the cross fades etc. it adds are spot on. For that 5% of the time where it's not quite right, you can easily adjust things using the waveform editor.

Cons

The transcription service seems to have been primarily trained on white/European-descent speakers. I've edited several episodes with African guests and the transcription is awful. You can still use it to edit the audio OK, with some laughs at the mistakes it made. But, if you want to publish a transcript then you're basically rewriting the whole thing.

Reasons for choosing Descript

The ability to edit a transcript (with fallback to waveform editing) is a complete game changer. I can focus on the content and just drop out to audio editing when I need to. I still use other DAWs later in the process, but Descript makes that big edit of 90+min of raw audio for each episode so much more manageable.

Rohit

Industry: Broadcast Media

Most amazing audio editing tool I’ve used in 20 years

I love editing audio and video again. I feel like I’m editing a taking Word Document. Simply amazing. Try it and you won’t go back to editing only using a waveform.

Pros

This is a whole new way to edit audio and video content. I love the fact that there are frequent updates and new features. Simply amazing to edit content.

Cons

Not much in terms of audio processing. No noise reduction, etc.

Reasons for choosing Descript

At the time I chose it because of price. But when I used the free version I was hooked and signed up for a paid version.

Reasons for switching to Descript

Audition was getting to be too expensive as part of the CC Suite.

project editor for visual learners

Overall it's an innovative product and a lot more cost-effective than others on the market. It may not be perfect but it has helped me a lot in my projects. A clever virtual multi-tool for creators.

Pros

I like that I can edit a video based on the visual transcription, The AI and that while I'm recording I get a transcription simultaneously. The features I desire most are a dark mode feature, a chroma key feature so I can add light overlay and animation. I would also like a pause feature added to screen recording and voice recording because I use this to help me think in between recording without stopping the session. And please fix bugs such a lagging. And the integrations I would recommend are Audacity, Davinci Resolve, and Anchor FM because that is what I use.

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches if I am working in multiple windows and Ill get error codes. Sometimes it's hard to place tracks on the timeline, You click where you want it to go and it goes somewhere else in the project. I want some filler words to stay included and it's hard for me to figure out how to keep them. When I record audio and mess up, the overdub function doesn't pop up when I right-click. I wish the zoom and pan were smoother looking.

Reasons for switching to Descript

This product streamlined all of my needs. I needed transcription, and the overdub doesn't have background noise like my real voice. It cuts down on editing and makes my workflow simpler. I occasionally go back to these other products if I need to fine-tune something but that's rarely.

Made My Podcasting so Much Easier!

I love how simple it is to cut down audio, take out sentences you don't want and edit out silences. I love the automatic syncing of audio files. My cohost and I are long distance and record audio on Zencaster which allows us to have separate audio files! Descript seamlessly matches them up. Descript saves me so much time while editing!

Pros

What I love the most is that when you delete audio from the timeline, it never actually disappears. You can easily go back in and re-add something you took out earlier. It doesn't rely on undo only, if you took out a sentence early on and decided after half an hour of editing you want that sentence back in, its right there. Incredible.

Cons

I don't like the organization on the home page, I don't quite understand the folders. I like organization and not being able to archive my finished edits versus the edits I still need to do is a bit frustrating but easy to overlook!

Reasons for switching to Descript

Audacity kept crashing and I was recommended Descript from another podcaster as an alternative and I never looked back!

Great Podcast Editing And Transcribing Tool.

We have three podcasts that we work on every week and this software has made editing of the audio and transcribing very easy. We are able to deliver quality podcasts and transcripts for publishing. The platform allows for collaboration on projects with the team members.

Pros

It is user friendly and doesn't require much experience in video and audio editing. Filler words and word gap detection and removal are great features. The export and publish features allow for sharing and publishing the content to other applications. It transcribes very fast and it's great in identifying and assigning speakers. It is easy to cut and paste words while moving the audio waveforms. It also does a great job of matching separate audio files.

Cons

Stability of the software is a great concern. Sometimes it just freezes and you can't access the project you are working on. There is also more that can be done on the sound effects.

Reasons for switching to Descript

Soundtrap has limited features compared to Descript.

Lance

Industry: Law Practice

Descript is a gamechanger!

Fantastic. Couldn’t be happier.

Pros

We do a smaller podcast, and it’s cut the editing time in half. The ability to automatically delete filler words and audio gaps has been a major timesaver and the software keeps evolving. The company listens to users and makes changes accordingly. Looking forward to see where it goes from here.

Cons

I have no real complaints. The editing tool can sometimes be a bit wonky, but I think it’s note user error than a problem with the tool.

Reasons for switching to Descript

Descript’s ability to match the transcript with the audio is fantastic. For a small team, it truly makes editing a breeze.

Heather

Do You Edit? This Software Will Change Your Life!

I LOVE this product. I tell everyone I know with a podcast to use this software. It seriously has changed my life. I'm able to edit much quicker and can cut and paste easily by viewing the text.

Pros

Taking out filler words takes only a few seconds - this is an amazing feature that can save HOURS of time. Not only does it work for audio, but the video is nearly seamless when using this feature.

Cons

Due to it being on the cloud, the video is slow to respond when editing.

Reasons for choosing Descript

I still use these other products for recording and final editing where I compile the podcast, but for editing audio this is my prefered platform.

The text features

Thanasis

Happy user

With the Descript service, I can offer accessible videos easily and fast.

Pros

Collaboration features a very good transcription and a friendly interface.

Cons

Other languages, translation services, and possibly the Greek language.

Reasons for choosing Descript

Accuracy for what it offers and friendly sales service.

Jeff

Five Stars Across the Board

It's been wonderful. Since I discovered this at Podcast Movement in 2019 it's revolutionized production on the show. I've also used it to in my day job too to help my company do training videos. It's a software I use everyday.

Pros

Descript is so easy to use. It's cut down the editing time for our podcast interviews and the overall show while increasing our quality. With the ongoing new features too, like Overdub and the ability to generate Audiograms, the service continues to get better. The transcripts have also allowed us to increase the accessibility for our podcast and the generated videos while helping to keep costs down (and as the AI continues to improve, our time to correct transcripts as also gone down)

Cons

The feature that needs attention is how the software deals with silence. Long silences are treated as "speakers" with the AI is deciding who it detects speaking. That causes issues with transcript correction. In addition, things that are actual silence can be removed, such as laughter or crosstalking or words the AI might not know. That adds extra editing time so those things are part of the final product. I'm hoping this aspect gets updated soon.

Reasons for switching to Descript

I know use Descript to do my first pass of editing while Audition and Pro are still used to assemble the final audio and video version.

Transformative product with lots of bugs to work through

We save tons of time with Descript. It also helps us collaborate as producers (it's so easy to jump into a project and help with a specific subtask). It also helps us collaborate with external stakeholders, like clients or consultants. They can see the progress, provide feedback in a simple way and even write into it if we give them that access.

Pros

Editing text instead of audio has revolutionized my company's workflow. We make podcasts and it has saved us tons of time to use Descript for highly produced shows. It doesn't really help with weekly shows that require minimal editing and fast turnarounds. But for months-long narrative projects, it is so incredibly easy to edit text linked to audio and then script around that. We then export to Audition or Protools to mix and score. But having this step along the way saves many hours of time and improved collaboration with internal and external people.

Cons

It's really buggy! Things stop working frequently. Then Descript fixes it. Then there's another bug. I have faith that they'll get to a point where I'm not running into bugs every week or every few days, but it is frustrating for now.

Reasons for choosing Descript

Descript replaces key parts of our workflow with Adobe Audition and Avid Pro Tools. But it does not replace them. We still use both of these for other projects and to mix/score/fine tune the exports out of Descript.

Scott

Magical software of the future for audio + video + text editing

It's an incredible tool that we use for all our podcasts and videos. It saves tons of time and improves quality and allows tight collaboration. It's a magical use of AI technology for audio and video editing.

Pros

The killer feature of this product is the ability to edit text and audio or video simultaneously. You can edit each and the other immediately updates, so it's possible to "read" your entire show as well as edit in depth by words or by frames or samples when necessary. It's wonderful to have the whole project in the cloud with comments shared like a Google Doc for collaboration. The automatic transcription works pretty well with clear speakers. Exporting to audio files or DAW projects works well.

Cons

The automatic edits at word boundaries can be a little rough and need hand touching up. Sometimes the software needs to be restarted to take into account a new update. Occasional slipping of time or data due to software updates or collaboration. Could still use a "stem" export function in addition to flattened audio and DAW projects. It would be great to improve automated transcription further, but this is a hard problem.

Reasons for choosing Descript

There are no viable alternatives

Reasons for switching to Descript

Ability to edit text and audio Ability to collaborate Automated transcription

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education