What are Twilio users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Twilio software through verified user reviews

• icon"Their documentation is outstanding and they've build a lot of UI based tools on their website to setup fairly complex workflows without having to code."
  • icon"Great API / info available for a quick dive into getting something up and running. Also a free trial / credits to test it out."
  • icon"Easy to set up, extensible, supports a variety of programming languages and interfaces, pricing is easy to understand, excellent free trial that allows for testing of most features."
  • icon"It can be difficult to find your way around the website. Even with documentation, setting up functions can be confusing."
  • icon"The most difficult piece to set up was routing of multiple channels to the same agents."
  • icon"The reject/failure level above 50% is unacceptable and makes it too expensive."

Browse all Twilio Reviews

• Have you used Twilio and would like to share your experience with others?

Richard

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

It gets it done

Jeanette

July 2022

Twilio is great for SMS messaging!

Excellent. Great customer support. Easy integration. User-friendly too.

Pros

Easy integration. Once I set it up, I really don't have to think about it...except when the invoice arrives!

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like. I am probably considered a "basic" user; however, for what I need, it is perfect!

Reasons for choosing Twilio

It was recommended to me by a colleague

Julien

May 2022

Amazing powers - not for anyone

We did our transfer from Dialpad to Twilio after seeing the price difference + all the missing options (automation and integration) Dialup was missing. We faced a huge issue when we realized we had to code our own phone system to be able to receive or send sms and calls. Happened at a moment where the firm didn't have the time to read the 3000 pages tutorial offered on Twilio. Our transfer made our whole phone system out of service for 3 weeks. We finally found other companies offering what Twilio should offer : a basic interface to the basic needs of a phone number (call + sms). This workaround finally made the deal much less advantageous than expected. We now pay almost the same price as we were paying with Dialpad, for a less powerful interface.. until we have the time to focus on building our own app to use it.

Pros

Twilio can do absolutely everything you need to do with a phone number. Automate, Record, SMS, Call, Chatbot, Integrations, Number verification.

Cons

Very complex to setup. You absolutely NEED to know how to code. No easy user software available to simply use your number from day 1.

Reasons for choosing Twilio

For all the added functionalities offered on Twilio (automation + integrations) and the much lower cost.

July 2022

Twilio's services and tools are reliable, easy to configure, easy to manage, and inexpensive

We use Twilio trunking for our multi-location PBX, and SMS messaging for customer communication. Twilio has worked out very well for us and I would strongly recommend them to other businesses. It's easy to set up, inexpensive and reliable.

Pros

So far, we use Twilio SMS messaging and SIP trunking. Our experience with was excellent. Everything from creating an account, setting up services, integrating with other systems (PBX and CRM), funding and managing services has been nearly perfect. We did not have a lot of experience with any of these technologies, and we had very little trouble getting it to work the way we want. They have done an outstanding job of designing the services and interfaces so you can put together systems exactly the way you want, without a lot of trouble for spending a lot of money.

Cons

The one negative that we have encountered so far is that Twilio's SIP trunking does not support T.38 faxing. We do have a couple legacy fax machines set up with ATA's, but they are unreliable both sending and receiving, so we had to supplement this with efax service from another vendor. This setup works, but it would've been nice to have everything together from one vendor. I understand that fax is outdated, but it's still the standard in the medical industry.

Reasons for choosing Twilio

All the other companies were either much more expensive, much more limited in features, or harder to understand and set up. From what I looked at, nothing was even close to Twilio in terms of convenience, features and price.

Reasons for switching to Twilio

Chime was much harder to configure, harder to manage (billing and logs are unnecessarily complex) and didn't have all the features we wanted. In general, AWS is hard to beat, but their Chime offering is much inferior to Twilio.

July 2022

Good value for money and overall a good experience

Good rates and deliverability with good CS A big solid company, just make sure it answers all your requirements

Pros

Their pricing and routs are good and working well in the united states Customer support and customer success is very responsive and replies very quickly

Cons

The API account type is very unfriendly and although meant for developers, is not very nice for marketers

Pius

Twilio

Twilio helps me send transactional SMS messages to my users, which is its important role for my business and it nails this. However, to get more out of it, I use it for marketing to certain user segments as well and it performs brilliantly. Overall, I am happy with Twilio.

Pros

Twilio easily integrates with multiple 3rd party services out there. With a simple Zap in Zapier, you can build multiple workflows that trigger operations on your Twilio accounts such as sending out mass SMS or transactional SMS to customers. Twilio has exceptional deliverability in so many countries around the world. So no matter where your recipient is, Twilio can pretty much reach them.

Cons

Twilio has a steep learning curve if you do intend to get the most out of the products. You can cover a lot with simple API and Zapier, but to get the most from it using "Programmable Communications" needs some level of expertise. And this is where Twilio really showcases its powers. Unfortunately without a certain level of expertise, you will not get to that. Personally, as a NoCode builder, to overcome this I had to hire an expert to help me get the most out of Twilio.

Reasons for choosing Twilio

Twilio was much easier to integrate with my existing stack of Bubble, Zapier, and Airtable.

Jozef

Great VOIP provider for SIP Trunking

Pros

One of the best VoIP providers for SIP trunking which offers very good value for money.

Cons

I am a little disappointed that lately, we needed to migrate some of our numbers from Twilio to other providers, as Twilio no longer supports phone numbers from some countries that they have been providing before. But at least we could quite easily transfer affected numbers from them to other VoIP provider (that also support SIP trunking, but does not have such good prices).

Bhabishya

May 2022

One of the best software for SMS marketing but high pricing

Pros

I like everything about Twilio. It's very to get started with and easy to use. They have well documentations and can be integrated with multiple software which I love. And the thing I like the most is that they give free trial. And it's very easy to create new account within Twilio.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is that there aren't much features compared to few other similar software I have used. And also the pricing per SMS is high compared to few other websites I haves used in the past.

Victoria

August 2022

Not easy for the non-tech

Twilio is the back-end texting tool that is integrated into our management system software. I use Twilio to assign phone numbers to staff and to monitor errors. I find it hard to use, although I understand it isn't designed for my level of use. I hope that they will one day provide a more user-friendly interactions and interface a for more basic users.

Pros

Twilio is very effective at getting our texts out promptly.

Cons

I am not tech-savvy about the backend of texting. Twilio necessarily has robust texting features, I find it hard to navigate for my purposes.

Saira

Saira's review on Twilio

Twilio is the best app for message broadcasting, message scheduling, call recording, data distribution, etc. I personally recommend and suggest my clients and customers use it.

Pros

Call recording and analyzing agents' performance is the best option that I enjoy while using Twilio. This software is very easy and less expensive to use. As well as we can easily integrate with other web apps to make the workflow more fast, more accurate, and more fluent to enhance our business.

Cons

The admin interface is a little bit complicated, Twilio should enhance the user experience for admins would be great.

Frederik

Really nice service for WhatsApp Api

Overall, my experience with Twilio was good. They have a lot of features and integrations that make it easy to use their platform. The customer service was also good, and they were able to help me with any questions I had.

Pros

There are many things I appreciate about Twilio, but some of my favorite features are the ease of sending and receiving text messages, the low cost of the service and the great customer service.

Cons

The user interface can be a little confusing and difficult to navigate.

Abhinav

One of the most Powerful and Useful Platform in the World

Twilio is a great tool with a lot of Custom Features that can be plugged in to solve various business problems and provide value addition to Businesses.

Pros

Twilio provides a great level of services and is super easy to use. I personally used its WhatsApp API and Messaging API in my various Company Projects. It has a simple-to-understand API Documentation and powerful library support to get started with.

Cons

In Twilio for WhatsApp, the only downside I faced was it doesn't provide actual WhatsApp API which if provided could be of great help to me as new features of WhatsApp API takes time to come on Twilio.

Ed

May 2022

Affordable 1:1 SMS messaging that natively integrates with Chili Piper and Marketo Engage

Experience has been positive and great

Pros

Extremely affordable option to send 1:1 SMS meeting reminders in conjunction with Chili Piper and increase show rates to hard earned appointments set by our sales reps as well as send 1:1 SMS marketing messages via Marketo Engage

Cons

Doesn't have 2-way, bi-directional texting capabilities when a prospects responds via text to either our meeting reminders or marketing messages

Pricing commitment

Reasons for switching to Twilio

Skipio is a subscription-based Texting-CRM platform with a substantial monthly commitment

Joel

Industry: Online Media

Outstanding Platform for Businesses Using WhatsApp

Overall it has been positive so far. We are launching our software globally now and so far they have been a solid partner in the countries we have been going to.

Pros

We used Twilio to be the backbone of custom cross-platform messaging software we built that connects people in different countries around the globe. We used it to send automated messages alerting the users that someone in their area wants to talk to them and then to continue to facilitate the conversations through our software and the WhatsApp API protecting the user's identities. The API was very easy to use. The hardest and most challenging part was getting set up and approved by Facebook to get our WhatsApp numbers. The system tracks if messages were delivered which is great and we can see responses come back in as well, not the message content itself mind you, but that a response was sent. We also leverage their email platform which added another communication platform to our system. All in all, we are excited about our partnership with Twilio and look forward to continuing to work with them.

Cons

The only challenging issues we had really involved WhatsApp and getting them to verify our Facebook Business listing, then approve us for a WhatsApp number and finally approve our message templates so we could use Twilio to send messages through their platform. I wouldn't say any of that was Twilio's fault and their staff was excellent at doing everything they could to help us. The only thing I would like to see is a better more laid out navigation on their admin dashboards. You have to click into menus to get to a sub menu to then scroll around and try to find what you are looking for. It would be nice if they had a master link tree like Amazon does on their AWS dashboard.

Twilio also has a couple of secret super powers!

An amazingly well built product -- we rarely if ever had reliability issues -- the Twilio Functions were an especially useful post-purchase feature discovery -- so much so that we still use that even though we don't do any texting. We also sometimes use FracTEL, since they beat Twilio on pricing 3:1 for 1-800 texts *and* had MMS 1-800 support long before Twilio.

Pros

* super easy to configure multiple accounts for billing purposes * * Twimlets are a great way to experiment with product &/or prototype quickly - https://www.twilio.com/labs/twimlets * Twilio functions is amazingly easy way to either extend power of tools such as Zapier &/or avoid having to use AWS Lambda, etc. -- it's a super cool hidden feature - https://www.twilio.com/docs/runtime/functions * They have an auto-stop feature if you accidentally send too fast -- e.g., we accidentally created an infinite loop of texts between two phone numbers -- which they auto-stopped at about $20 (in three minutes). There are likely other Twilio features hiding in plain sight -- poke around -- one of those rare cases where reading all the documentation is likely worth it

Cons

* the login process can be annoying * help sometime takes longer than 24 hours * configuring multiple sub-accounts is confusing at first * not all functions can be done via UX -- some require API calls -- curl scripts were our goto

feature completeness & product reliability

Renan

The "magical" DIY (Do It Yourself) communication system

After 2 years using Twilio services, mainly phone and messages, I can say I am so happy I found this solution to handle my communications. It is so flexible, Although it has been a little bit complicated sometimes to self-learn about online phoning systems it saved me from a lot of hassles I wanted to avoid. The best benefit you get is the ultra efficient support service

Pros

With Twilio you can start from scratch to build your own online communication system. I didn't know so much about VOIP before and it is true I had to learn a few things. So far I have been able to use my Twilio french mobile number fully online even whenI need to travel abroad - with all mobile services you can expect (voice, SMS, MMS). The pricing is light and the global user interface makes the whole systme pretty easy to manage. I only use a few features from the platform but the possibilities are huge ! And they are always working on new services. And as Twilio is now really recognized as a communication company you can find additional software apps very easily and even documentation, I am thinking of the softphone app I am using on my mobile or desktop for instance.

Cons

I could customize a personal solution because I had time to test different options and as a developer I could code stuffs if needed. I am not sure everybody can do the same without technical skills.

Sam

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

June 2022

Twilio is great, but the learning curve is greater

Because I don't make any changes to Twilio on my own, the barrier to entry requires me to rely on third-party developers to fulfill all my requests due to my technological limitations. While this could be considered a good thing, as most business owners should not be screwing around with their phone system, it does mean that I need to be reliant on a third party to help make the Twilio implementation I dream up. When everything is set up correctly, I never have issues with Twilio. That level of reliability means a lot when it comes to a business phone system. Because of this, I wholeheartedly recommend Twilio to any business. Just be prepared to take a deep dive into the learning curve or hire a third party.

Pros

Twilio has set the bar pretty high with the customizability of telephony. You can do incredible things with Twilio. From a simple phone tree to complex actions that integrate other applications with the likes of Zapier and other no-code services, the sky is the limit for most small business owners to create great solutions.

Cons

The downside is the learning curve. In comparison, I consider myself tutorial literate when coding and setting systems up. I can't seem the find the ability to build proficiency in Twilio. And while this is my own doing, it is my only con. Twilio is incredible. For whatever reason, I have difficulty handling the tweaking on my own.

Ian

So easy it almost seems too easy.

We use Twilio Programmable Voice for a number of different use-cases. It is used to create trackable phone numbers for ads, internal phone/sms systems for sales/support and also integrated directly with our marketing automation platform, Autopilot. All of this had a fairly steep learning curve for a non-developer, but taking the time to do the work through Twilio (rather than a 3rd party software built on top of Twilio) has saved us a large amount of money and preserved a great deal of operational flexibility by preventing unwanted layers in our broader communications stack.

Pros

Twilio programable voice lets you build localized internet phone systems using numbers from anywhere in the world. I don't know of another comparable solution that isn't just another interface built on-top of Twilio. More importantly, it lets you customize these phone systems in every way imaginable (from drag/drop coding in Studio to custom apps) in just a few clicks. In terms of cost and flexibility, it is the clear winner in this space.

Cons

The product is trying to become increasingly friendly to non-developers, but it is still really positioned as a developer-first platform. It is a true platform technology, which is the root of most of Twilio's benefits – but that does come at the cost of being intimidating/less user-friendly to non-developers.

Reasons for choosing Twilio

Google Voice is cool if you need an internet-based phone number for personal use or light business use. However, it is not scalable and lacks any of the functionality to be a real business too. Also, I think the terms of service say you shouldn't use Google Voice numbers for business, even though that is the main reason people get them? I guess that is another good reason to look at Twilio.

Regina

Powerful Call Management

I have had a great overall experience with Twilio. Call quality is great, the users have the option to switch between bridge dial (using a physical phone linked to Twilio) or voice over IP calling. Implementation is relatively easy and call management is done in the cloud so it can be done from anywhere.

Pros

We use Twilio in conjunction with Groove (Twilio is Groove's voice provider). It is an awesomely powerful software for call center-like call management. The voice provider lives in the cloud so Twilio is very easy to implement and get up and running very quickly with minimal development. It is pretty intuitive but has a learning curve for less tech-savvy users. The help articles are well-documented.

Cons

Twilio is very powerful, but could use more features, like the ability to have conference calls and drop off the conference call without transferring the call somewhere else. The ability to call someone, then conference in another line on the current call is not available on the platform which could be a deal-breaker for call center use.

Reasons for switching to Twilio

Twilio offered a more comprehensive call center package that fit our needs better than the dialer provided by InsideSales.com.

Chirag

Reliable text notifications for customers

We've had great experience with Twilio. Our users sign up for text notification and we use Twilio to deliver them information. That experience has been well-received by customers. There's more to Twilio than that but texting is what we use it for. The system barely ever goes down and always shows us accurate information of our usage.

Pros

Barrier to entry is so low; it's so easy to get started with Twilio. It took us one afternoon to test it and we were running production-grade systems the same week using Twilio. It's documentation is so good that we don't need to call into support for anything. Billing is clear and analytics is clear as well. We have enjoyed Twilio.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Twilio. I do feel that Twilio can create widgets for non-technical customers to sign up customers for text notification. We have development staff that understands Twilio well enough. I do see small mom-and-pop shop owners who'd love to keep customers informed of sales through text messaging. If Twilio advertised more or somehow helped such audience, that'll be really neat.

Brandon

Powerful Control of Marketing & Data Analytics For Text, SMS & Video Sending

Wonderful people, always replay within a few hours of my late-night support emails. Reducing the bills is fantastic, and the tool plugs and plays with everything else nicely. Super happy with them for sure!

Pros

Love their COSTS... Some of the lowest in the industry, gives better control of budget. Utilizing Twilio we were able to navigate away from other tools that were costing us hundreds of dollars a month in per minute or per text overage fees. Provides more numbers at a cheaper cost per month by far, the whole system is powerful, inclusive, integrative of all tools and solutions through zapier and webhooks, and just a powerful system.

Cons

The UXI is a little heavy, when creating sub accounts and viewing the analytics, it is so powerful you can get lost, but that is a very minimal issue for I am sure someone with more knowledge can fly through the site and know what they are looking for much faster.

Reasons for choosing Twilio

Twilio allows control, other products basically are using Twilio, 2 times to 5 times the price, and charging you more while limiting you. With Twilio, you get no limits, the near best pricing on the market, and a powerful system that allows you to grow.

Best Communications API for Voice and SMS

Overall, it's highly recommended that every startup or business should go with Twilio as their backbone communications layer. Recently they added more services like email through SendGrid, so it is really powerful.

Pros

Using Twilio services for programmable voice and SMS means that we do not have to build that infrastructure, and can build features on top of that at a quick speed. I like how reliable the services is, which is a major draw and value for money with the costs. At occasional times when there are issues, they are resolved speedily. The team is super friendly, and will always be there to help answer our problems. Otherwise, the API documentation is great and easy to implement.

Cons

It doesn't work or work so well in places like China though, which is understandable. The admin console is largely usable but can include for features for less tech savvy people, understandably, not really their audience.

Manuel

April 2022

Amazing programmable number service

We have been able to deploy a whole Marketing Center, phone automation with payments systems. Call recording for training, conferences and waiting lines.

Pros

The service has many good features, the guides are easy to use and you can start deploying from day one. The Studio flow helps a lot if you do not have knowledge of programming, the customer service is also great. There is a lot you can do with Twilio no matter the size of your business.

Cons

It can be overwhelming because the tons of features, is it much better if you at least know for sure what you want to start

Reasons for choosing Twilio

Twilio features are great, we also found customer service is much better with twilio

Lacie

April 2022

Twilio integration

Our overall experience with Twilio has been great. The set up and implementation of Twilio in our office was extremely easy and we haven't experienced any issues using Twilio so far. I like that there's a specific phone # attached that looks like it's form our area code and office. Our patients can text us at any time and we have never had any missed texts or communication issues.

Pros

We currently use this software that is integrated with our ChiroHD Software system. Our team utilizes Twilio daily and appreciates the convenience to easily communicate with patients via text.

Cons

I don't think we are using the full functionality of the product due to it's integration inside ChiroHD.

Rick

May 2022

Twilio fills a niche for us

Overall we like and will continue to use Twilio. We used it for a small side business and was easy to work with. My developer liked using it though it seemed like the only option out there at the time.

Pros

Simple to use product (as an end user) that seems to usually work and has the options we need.

Cons

It's still a VOIP phone service so every so often the sound quality is perfect and it's gone down like any phone service can.

Reasons for switching to Twilio

Vonage wasn't working well for us.

4.57/5 out of 308 reviews