(1,780)

1,780

• Pros

• "I love that it is so easy to communicate with parents using this app!"

• "I love all the features and attention to detail. It's great to get down everything we did throughout the day and is easy to use. "

• "I love all the features this app has. I can do billing, communicate to parents, send messages, pictures and so much more on this app. "

• Cons

• "It could still use more development. You can't see complete threads/exchanges when messaging the teacher. But other than that, it's great."

• "The initial account set up can be a bit frustrating but your child's school administrator should be well versed in this product and be able to assist you."

• "I LOVE THE SITE, the only problem I have is that some options are not accessible from the phone and you can only access it from the cell phone and vice versa. "

Browse brightwheel Reviews

Audra from Happy Campers Preschool

Happy Campers, San Carlos

Overall our experience has been really great. There were some serious issues when we decided to use Brightwheel billing. I'm certain those issues have been documented, but we seem to be good now. I have been a big fan of Brightwheel and sincerely look forward to what's next!

Pros

I love how much Brightwheel has improved since we first joined the program. Administration, Parents and Staff love all of the features. I am very happy with the way Brightwheel has fostered "community" between home and school, and even school and extended family. Grandparents love seeing their grandchildren and being in the loop. Community is very important to our program! I appreciate the level of professionalism Brightwheel adds to my program. Touring families always have great comments about Brightwheel.

Cons

I wish multiple accounts could be under one umbrella login. I do not like having to log out and log in to my three programs. We have an account with ADP and use just one login for all 3 programs. I simply just have to click which program I need to see. I wish I could access a simple version of a class list with birthdays and just parents names and emails without all of their personal information. Parents request class lists quite often for birthday party invitations. Perhaps even an "opt-in" directory for parents to see would be a great feature. Parents could choose to include email/phone numbers in the "public" directory.

Andrea from KKS

Brightwheel is great!

We use Brightwheel at our center to chart each child's daily activities; we easily attach pictures, meal information, and times of diapering, etc.

Pros

I love how easy Brightwheel is to use - the parents also enjoy the format that they receive information

Cons

If I had to choose one thing to improve on, it would be to add a "zoom" function when taking a picture from the app

Reasons for Choosing brightwheel

Brightwheel is streamlined and a no-fuss app for busy teachers and parents alike.

Nicole from Sunlight Sales

Industry: Wholesale

Powerful if the facility uses it

Overall this has been a great app for signing in and out and getting the occasional message and photo of my child at childcare. Looks like a robust program if the facility uses all the features.

Pros

Easy to use interface, good at reminders, a lot of features that could be used by the child care facility with the calendar and reporting on things like naps, food, potty, etc.

Cons

Perhaps it is my facility, but I can't send a message to a specific person or teacher. I send a general message and HOPE that it gets to the right person. This is very annoying.

Karen from Holliston Community Children's Center

Brightwheel Review

We switched to Brightwheel as our previous software was no longer being supported. We liked moving to a cloud based product and the flexibility that gave our administrators and parents. We enjoy the ability for parents to see their billing and the ability to pay through the app. Customer support for the transition and set up was very good. Since launch, customer support is responsive (not always timely, since we are not in the same time zone as many of the customer support team) and they listen to our needs. There have been great changes in the short time we have been using the software. We are looking forward to the remainder of our concerns being addressed as we move forward. I would recommend this software over other cloud based software programs we looked at, but the consumer should be aware of the limitations of the software from a back office stand point.

Pros

What we like best is this is a cloud based software. The parent portal allowing parents better access to their child's day and classroom progress as been extremely well received by our parents. We like the check-in feature which allows us to know at any time how many children are in the facility. The ability for the teachers to post notes / pictures for parents allows the parents real time updates instead of waiting till the end of the day to receive a hand written note that is stuffed in the child's belongings and forgotten.

Cons

The back office side of the software is lacking. The reporting capabilities of the software is very limited. For example, we are unable to run an accounts receivable report by family. We can run by child, but you have to run multiple reports for families with more than one child in the program. The software does not currently allow for prepayments or credits on account. Also, on the program side, no ability to run facility or even classroom wide reports - for example a parent directory for all classrooms; allergy report by classroom. All reporting (financial and program) is child driven without the option of classroom or facility driven. This makes extra back office work for our staff - for example creating an allergy list or parent directory in excel to share with teachers. Or tracking receivables in other software, creating double accounting needs.

Kelly from Westfield Child Center

Easy to use software!

Overall it has been fantastic! Everyone I have spoken to has been great and they make the transition super easy with the check ins and helping with planning out the next steps.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use especially for staff that are not good with technology. I also love how great it connects you to interactions with parents. The customer support so far has been fantastic!

Cons

We are skeptical of the cost of this. Currently we are on a promotion with a discounted cost but when that is over I'm not sure if it will be worth the expense. We may only choose to use this in certain classrooms.

Reasons for Choosing brightwheel

The ease of use. There is a huge difference with the quality and ease of use. I believe this will help our staff make the switch from paper to electronic.

Susan from Hansen LLC

Must have for childcare businesses

Brightwheel has made our care center much more streamlined. Being able to scan quickly for check in and check outs has Improved timeliness. It allows us to message all parents and caregivers in one app. We can send group or individual messages with ease and parents/guardians can also shoot us a quick message with pertinent information. It’s been very helpful with cutting down miscommunications. Invoices are easy to send and keep track of. Payments can be made through the app. Brightwheel also has the ability to create daily logs. The added feature of sending photos, videos and newsletters is a huge plus. We will definitely continue to use brightwheel and will recommend to friends and colleagues.

Pros

It’s a one stop shop! You’ve got all you need in one place to successfully organize and run your child care business. You’re able to easily scan check in/check outs, accept payments, send invoice, communicate with all parents or select individual messages. Customer support is top notch. The video tutorials really helped us learn the ropes.

Cons

A slight learning curve to it but with the help of the online tutorials we were able to learn and utilize it.

Reasons for Choosing brightwheel

More basic and fit our needs. Price point was better for us.

Cheryl from Forever Friends

Brightwheel Rocks

Pros

Billing is included in the features at no extra cost

Cons

I really don't know. I enjoyed all of it.

Jessica Pexica Reyes from Nonprofit Organization

Love it

My experience with this app has made my life as a mother a little more easier to do. I leave my child with people I expect to educate and take of my daughter. With this app I get proof and ease of mind.

Pros

When I take my child to school I think about her all day. When I started using this app, Provided by the school. My nerves went away quick. The teacher post everyday. What she ate and what the lesson is. She sends pictures or video. Communicating with the staff at her school is so much easier now. Just a message away. My FAVORITE part is being able to get a message when someone picks up your child. Also you can make payments on there to pay for your child support. Easy day.

Cons

I can not say anything about this app. It easy to use. App is self-explanatory nothing confusing at all about it.

Danyelle from Adventure learning

Great software

Overall I like this software as i use it with my child and the teacher. It shows me ehat my child has done thoughout her day and the teacher messages me when needed. Its help s provide information at the reach of the phone to show you anything you want to know about child when in the care.

Pros

This software is wonderful for parent and teacher and child communication. Shows you many things throughtout the day and easy to use.

Cons

The is not much i dislike about this software. Its pretty much self explainitory and easy to use. And issues eould be with any new features.

Carlos from Netbond

Best preschool tool for teachers-parents communication!

I would highly recommend it to another preschool as an important tool for communicating and keep a log for each children and for parents to see as well.

Pros

My daughter’s preschool uses this software as a daily journal. Here I see pictures of her, diaper changes, notes, what she eats, and etc. I really enjoy seeing what she does on real time.

Cons

So far so good, it’s been bliss, easy to use and fun! I only wish the daily photos could be downloaded automatically to my cellphone gallery.

Ted from Tree of Life Preschool & Daycare

Great for Parents - Financial Info Could Be Improved

Overall, I am pleased with Brightwheel. I like having an almost all-in-one solution for our software needs as a daycare, and Brightwheel is super easy for our parents and our teachers. I would highly recommend it to other daycares. I am hoping the accounting portion of the software becomes more professional.

Pros

Our parents LOVE Brightwheel! It's easy, it's quick, and it connects them in real-time to what's going on with their children. They love getting pictures of their kids during the day. We love that the parents actually use it, are involved in the flow of information, and communicate with us through it.

Cons

The financial portion of the software needs a lot of improvement. I can't tie sibling billing statements together - this creates unessessary payments because parents should be able to make one single transaction to pay all of their unpaid invoices at once. Also, I have found it extremely difficult to see all the information clearly that I need to for bookkeeping. I can't see on each invoice what the daycare was charged in the way of a transaction fee. I know the total we are charged, but I need to know on each individual invoice. Plus, Brightwheel wants me to create a report to see information, instead of simply having it all visible in a list when I pull up the account. Side note: it would be great if we could have a tablet attached to a classroom account, rather than every device being attached to an employee account. I don't want my staff on their phones all day, so we use classroom tablets to interact with Brightwheel - all are logged into the director's account, so notes posted have my name on all of them. It's confusing to the parents. Plus, we have staff who are also parents of students; they can't see a parent account for their child - they are locked into the staff account.

Allison from Small Wonders School

Make the transition to paperless!

We do not otherwise incorporate tech into our business, we use Quickbooks and simple excels, Brighthweel has not had a crazy learning curve and its just a great product.

Pros

We use Brightwheel chiefly for its billing functionality and to meet State licensing requirements regarding records of attendance, ratios, sign in and out, etc. These are records you have to keep for years and the stacks of Bankers boxes were towering! Now we can upon request create and print any report, for instance our licensor could request sign in and out records from a certain classroom on a certain date--it can be provided way faster than digging through those old paper files. Name to face attendance can be achieved confidently with the picture bubbles for all your students--you can feel confident as an admin that all transitions and ratios are covered For billing it is clean and streamlined--you can create plans, parents can establish autopay, they have constant access to their receipts and invoices, end of the year statements, your EIN, etc. It is a win win for both us as bookkeepers and for our parent clients. The interface is very clean--sign up is a breeze for new children and it would be very challenging to get confused on the parent screen. Brighthwheel saves us time AND paper.

Cons

Here is the thing--Brightwheel is constantly developing. So if you were to have a con you can feel assured your feedback will be heard. We have been with them nearing 3 years and have watched so many features get added on and updates made. They take customer feedback seriously and want to understand the industry's needs--we have had conference calls with developers and participated in a lot of dialogue about what we need and what works well.

Brittany from PELC

Perspective from a Teacher who is also a Parent using Brightwheel

Overall, I like the app. It is helpful during the day and once you get the hang of it, really easy to navigate and update, although it can be a bit time consuming. When I have emailed customer service they have emailed me back in a polite and timely manner, which is always a plus. This is my third school year using the app, and have yet to hear a negative comment from any of my student's families. All have had rave reviews, shared it with family members, and are constantly thanking me for sharing things with them throughout the day.

Pros

As a teacher, I like the convenience of being able to get in contact with the parents of my students quickly and effectively. I am able to keep track of attendance and absences easily, it also helps with parents who need to monitor their child's eating. As a parent, I like receiving updates about my child, especially pictures. When it is kept up by my child's teacher, it is a great app because I can see what is going on during his day even though I am not with him.

Cons

One of my biggest frustrations is that I have to COMPLETELY log out and log back in when switching from my teacher account and my parent account, at the same school. My son goes to the school that I work at but is in a different class. It would be so much easier if there was a way to toggle back and forth between the two. My other major concern is, though we have the app on our school chromebooks and it's great, I cannot upload pictures from the computer to the app to share them with parents. So, instead of keeping the app on my cellphone logged in to my child's account, I have to log out and then in to my teacher account to be able to share pictures of my students with their families. It is really frustrating. The parents of the children in my class are constantly giving me positive feedback about the app and love getting the pictures and videos, but it is difficult for me since I want to share the pictures with them but I can't do it all from the chromebook unless I try using the poor-quality webcam. It would be much more of a positive experience for me if I was able to use a classroom camera, upload the pictures to a computer, then be able to upload the pictures to the app for the families. I am sure that for someone who has a designated work cellphone or maybe even a tablet with a decent camera, this would not even be an issue, but for someone who has to use a personal cellphone to take and upload pictures to the app, is a bit of a downfall.

Matthew from Thales Academy

The best app for schools, day cares, etc.

It makes managing student attendance and communication with parents much easier.

Pros

This is one of the best, if not the very best, solutions to make my life easier managing my school. We started using this app just in our after school program and soon adopted the check-in/out system for our entire attendance tracking solution. We are able to run reports to see who, when, and where someone was checked in for any given day in our school year. All of my suggestions have been heard and considered and almost all (if not all) have eventually been added. I love how well they receive feedback and how they want to serve institutions of all sizes. Having been a long time user since their infancy, I have had the opportunity to talk to many people with the company and they are all wonderful. I wish more companies were like them.

Cons

I feel like the free version is quite limited. It used to have many more features and I sang its praises to everyone. Now I have to start the conversation by discussing the financial part of the system, which limits some potential users. I wish it integrated with student information systems so that I didn't have to export and prepare csv to upload to create students. It would be much simpler to have an automated sync each night to create or remove students based on our current student system, Renweb. I'm beginning to realize that part of this is due to their growing attempt to take over the educational information realm, but they are not there yet.

Amy from Eukarya King's Cubs

Look forward to updates! Always getting better!

Replacing Quickbooks, paper daily sheets, paper time sheets, check in/out logs for kids. LOVE the ability for the parents to message the staff instead of having to go through the office phone/email. Although this program has a few things that could be added, I would 100% make this switch!

Pros

Super easy for the teachers to use in the classroom. I like the set up on the teacher end. The billing system is pretty easy to use (1,000x easier than Quickbooks) especially because parents can see their account at any time. The parents really love the program and it has added a new level of quality to our program! Each update makes it better! I look forward to the updates!

Cons

-Sometimes I will message customer services is not very helpful. (Lots of apologies) For example: My end will not let me delete staff members. They offer to do it for me because it should work but the point is it doesn't but there is nothing they can do. Another example, when the update came for "Room Device Mode" I could not get this to work on our android devices, which i understand IOS update generally come first so I waited. Then I asked and I went through a few day long conversation about my device, systems, etc to only be told that is was not available for android. They all the sudden realized that the update was only for IOS? There are a few quirks that I hope get worked out through updates. I wish I could add notes to parents, calendar, messages, etc through the website. Typing these messages on my phone is a little annoying especailly if they are long. I would LOVE a way to message staff as a group or individuals through BW. We only use it for clocking in/out but I think there is so much more you could do with the staff end. Also if they could see their time cards would be super helpful! Maybe a request for a correct on the time sheets?

July 2016

Miss from Little Scholars Schoolhouse

July 2016

All Inclusive and FREE!!

I have researched what seems to be everywhere software on the market for our center. There were only 3 that covered all of my required expectations. Brightwheel was one of the 3. I hesitated because it was free and a newer company. I felt there HAD to be a catch to it. Especially since the other 2 companies were very expensive, I couldn't understand how all of this could be offered for free. I took the chance in November 2015 and I am could not be more pleased! This product has been absolutely free with no hidden costs. Our center uses the daily activity record, which includes an app for the parents to be able to view from their phones/tablets or they can log in to the website from a computer. The daily record includes photos that can be uploaded directly from your phone, all of the detailed info you would want a parent to know, it even has a "Notes" section. We use the calendar to add events for the parents to see. There is also the daily check in/out and the best thing is the parents can send a note thru the app to say arriving late today, not coming in today, or picking up early, etc. The ability to communicate the simple things thru the app saves time during pick up/drop off because a lot of questions are already answered on Brightwheel. The best thing of all is the billing. FREE for ACH debits and no hassle to you! There is also a credit card capability. All of our parents are required to sign up. You can do one time billing or set up a recurring billing plan and bills/reminders/receipts are sent automatically to the parent. The money is deposited to your business account and that's it! Sooo simple and painless! I understand their is a premium version of Brightwheel being released soon but the standard version is so incredible that I don't know WHAT to expect. :) I truly love this product. Our parents are impressed with it as well. AND it's free!

Pros

The price - free, the billing option, the ability to upload pics and name activities the children are engaged in, The calendar keeps everyone on the same page. I love it all!

Cons

None

Hank from Marketing Powers, LLC

Brightwheel - easy and friendly!

I use Brightwheel at my children's preschool to check them in & out on a daily basis. It's a great system for that and is very fast. A simple 4 number pin/password gets me to my dashboard where only my kids show up and a click of a toggle button checks them in or out. Then, a quick signature (DHR compliant!) and I'm done. They use it for car pool on an iPad and it keeps the line moving. The school moved from a pen and paper set up which was much slower due to flipping through the clipboard to find your kids and signing for each of them. Plus, if it was raining the papers were a mess. The school has the iPads in a weatherproof cover that still allows for signature with the touch screen.

Pros

It's fast, efficient and very easy to use. It has a lot of features that we do not currently use, but used in the past. We only use it for checking kids into the preschool now, but have used the communication features in the past where the teachers could post pictures and send messages to the parents.

Cons

I really do not have any cons for Brightwheel. My experience has been very positive and I like the product. Being 100% honest, I have never had to contact customer service so I can not speak to that, but I do know that the implementation of the solution was pretty simple.

Danielle from The Ark Learning Center

Mixed Feelings

We are generally receiving our payments on time more. BrightWheel has caused new frustrations but relieved others. We like the parent communication aspect. The customer service of BrightWheel is getting better; however, I usually only get an answer after asking multiple people the same question and finally I will get a correct answer. They love their standard boilerplate responses which if I needed would have gotten from the library. The overall feeling of “we are only here to make the parent experience better” versus making the centers business operations better is frustrating. In the end, the center will get what we need and with BrightWheel a lot of times it causes inconvenience to the parents. Example, when a new child starts under the parents, they have to re-link to AutoPay. The parents can’t figure it out because of it shows they are linked with one student so we have to add their bill to their older student who doesn’t come anymore in order to get their autopay to work. That is not friendly experience for us or the parent. BrightWheel still needs a lot of work to get it to a product that is time-saving and beneficial for centers to use.

Pros

We love the AutoPay feature and the ability for our parents to get their invoices 24/7.

Cons

There isn’t a way to record credit, and when a payment fails without attempting to go through it doesn’t send an email to the parents or us. Also, when a payment fails it doesn’t give us an opportunity to recharge. Many parents will ask us to retry and we can’t without creating a new invoice. Also, on the Plan section, it doesn’t allow you to make changes to the days the invoice gets charged, or a new end date, etc. This means we are constantly canceling the plan and creating a new one.

Dawn from Kid's World

Brightwheel Pros & Cons

Our staff members are more informed on a daily basis and connected to the parents more. They receive updates on students versus relying on the director to pass on the information from a phone call or email.

Pros

1) It has aloud our staff members to connect with families more on a daily/weekly basis. 2) Staff are able to post pictures without using their phone storage. 3) Parents can sign-in & sign-out easier. Easier to add extra pick-up people. 4) Easier to obtain tuition payments from families. 5) Easier to have a visual of the school in one location (I can switch rooms and see who is there and the staff in the room. 6) Bi-monthly payroll is much easier with the time sheets.

Cons

1) There is no way to message staff members all at once or for them to receive a message as well. (example, I post the newsletter for parents and the staff would have to open a student file to view it or I mass message the parents but the staff do not receive the mass message as well. 2) I wish you could post pdf files to the parents versus just image files. (My newsletters and forms always have to be converted to pdf and then to image file. 3) Red sign-in kiosk screen is not good for viewing out in the sunlight. (blue & white would be better) 4) I am unable to find the observations easily for review later on for report as a class or objective/goal. 5) iPhone users seem to have trouble with the app more (receiving messages & they are not able to click on links that I may send either through messaging or under the notes).

Nanette from Aspen Leaf Preschool

Brightwheel helps with multiple facets of the preschool day!

As stated in the "pros" of this software, Brightwheel makes communication that much better between the preschool and the families. It allows for parents to really be connected with their child, and the the learning they are involved in all day, as well as those memorable moments, that the parent may not get to see as it is happening. I would recommend Brightwheel to all preschools for the fact that it is quite easy to use, it is fast to input data, and it is multi-functional. As a preschool teacher that has been teaching for 20 years, I feel this is one of the best tools I have had access to.

Pros

This software helps make the connection between home and the preschool setting stronger. It allows teachers and parents to communicate important information to each other. It allows for photos to be shared with the families, so that they can see the learning taking place in the classroom. It allows for teachers to keep track of the development that each child is going through, in a very structured, easy to understand format. I can't say enough good things about this software!

Cons

The software used to never have the video component, but they introduced that component within the last year, and it has really been a nice addition. It seems that the company really values the feedback of it's clients, and then implements the ideas. There is nothing I like the "least" about this software.

Colleen from The Growing Tree Child Care & Learning Center

Awesome app for our preschool and daycare!!!

Sometimes when trying to set up new families, the ap (on the parent's end) will ask for a code; identifying which school. I was never given/provided with a code, so sometimes I have to delete the child and start over to see if the parent is able to obtain the 4-digit code.

Pros

We can do everything with this app. It's great! Parents can sign their child in/out, which is perfect for state regulations. Parents can see what their child is up to throughout the day by way of 30 second videos, pictures, messages, notes, meals served and quantity of food each child ate, incident reports, medications administered and bathroom breaks. There is also a custom icon, and if you are a staff member of a facility with multiple rooms, you can move the children from one room to another, so parents and staff know where their child is at at all times. There is a calendar, observation section and you can even do billing! I couldn't imagine NOT using Brightwheel. It is so quick, easy and comprehensive. Each child is separate and each profile affords space for all pertinent information, including doctor/dentist information, address, parent contact, emergency contacts, allergies, medications, and DOB. It is very inexpensive an parents are able to know what their child did, rather than trying to ask the busy staff or ask their child. Multiple members can be added to a profile and all receive a 4-digit code for signing their child in/out of care. I would recommend it a million times over! Awesome Ap!

Cons

Wish the videos could be longer and you had the option to crop/edit the pictures and video length.

Julie from Neighborhood Playgarden

Brightwheel has saved us so much time!

We were early adopters and have been using Brightwheel since 2015. Initially we just used the billing feature but as the new features rolled out we've integrated all of them. Using Brightwheel cuts admin time down to a minimum and allows teachers to share the day with parents so they can see their kids learning and growing. Billing is seamless. Brightwheel support has been amazing, especially through Covid19. Their webinars are helpful and to the point.

Pros

I love Brightwheel! We've been using BW since 2015 and have saved so much time having billing, attendance and time cards at our fingertips.

Cons

Tracking children's immunizations is not as fluid as it could be. Too much data entry. It would be better if parents could do the data entry and admin could check against paper records for accuracy.

Reasons for Choosing brightwheel

better customer service and a more intuitive product

Paul from City Kids LA

Invaluable

Powerful and simple invoicing system; online database for students, parents, and staff; staff and student check-in, check-out, customizable reporting feature; easy phone app for parents and teachers; flexibility in designing to meet the needs of the school. Overall, the app was clearly developed to meet the needs of schools and is very intuitive in this regard. Very well done. We love that new features are constantly being developed and that the team is always interested in receiving our input.

Pros

We started off just needing an online database for our students. In a few months, this app became an indispensable tool at our school-- for both parents and staff. There are too many wonderful things about this app to list here in a few short sentences, but the highlights are: photo and status updates for parents, easy invoicing system, parent and teacher sign-in / sign-out, and so much more. The support team is also excellent, knowledgeable, accessible, friendly-- and timely in their response.

Cons

It seems the app until recently was in a testing or Beta phase, and as it moved into full production certain aspects of the app which were previously free and unlimited have suddenly and without warning been associated with a fee or have sudden limitations. That said, it's still absolutely worth it.

Amy from ReaLife Early Learning Center

Brightwheel a great software investment for our Early Learning Center

Overall Brightwheel has helped save so much time as an administrator. I don't have to spend the hours I used to spend handling the finances. All payments are automatically withdrawn and are deposited promptly. Communication with parents has increased to a very professional level. Our families love receiving updates throughout the day with pictures and videos of things their children are doing. We Love Brightwheel and would definitely recommend it to any size center.

Pros

Our center has been using Brightwheel for over a year now and we absolutely love it! I love the connection with parents through this software. Parents can stay up on how their child's day is going. I also like having the finances linked through the app. It is so convenient for parents. As an administrator it has become very user friendly and helps me to keep up on each class and ratios from my phone.

Cons

I do not like that any time I want a special report I have to submit it to be emailed. I would love to have access to more of the information as an administrator. This also goes with the financing I would like a little more control over when I send invoices dates on invoices etc. I also don't like how everything is alphabetized by first or last name. In the childcare industry birthdays are a great option to organize rooms as children move to the next room by their birthday and that is not a feature available on the app at this time.

Cheryl from Cherie's Learning Tree

So glad I went with this service!

Customer service is responsive, friendly and fast. I have seen this app change and grow for the better in just a few years. If you have looked at it or tried it in the past, take a second look. This app is extremely useful.

Pros

My families love this app, it makes communication easy. I feel like the increase in communication through this app during the day has helped me build deeper relationships with my families, help foster more positivity and trust, and help me help them with parenting topics, concerns and encouragement. The feature I love the most is autopay, all of my families use the payment feature. I never have to worry about chasing checks or manually adding payments for tax season.

Cons

I have had many issues sharing multiple photos at one time. I kind of gave up using this app as my primary way to share photos and set up a private group on social media for my families instead. I did enjoy how the app would keep an archive of the photos, but it was too much of a hassle for me to get them to upload, even after doing lots of troubleshooting. I don't use this app for this primary purpose, though and still feel the value is absolutely there with all the other features.

Chethan from Infosys Limited

Review of Brightwheel application

Overall the experience was good. I would recommend for small child care schools to adopt this to manage the day to day activities.

Pros

Brightwheel application is a very popular and easy to use app.The Brightwheel mobile app is very popular among Childcare schools and Parents. This is very good Child Care management application with many different features. Brightwheel has features like manage your classroom, Administer the respective child care schools related activities and easily engage with parents. Brightwheel helps the teachers to capture the daily attendance, upload photos for each child, add activities of each child and send messages to complete group or individual person at once. Brightwheel also provide options for Bill Pay for the parents to pay child fees, Parents can view the invoices and keep track on previous invoices.

Cons

Brightwheel has lot of useful features and very less cons or demerits. Brightwheel mobile app though is very popular but not used much for Bill payments. The earlier version of Brightwheel app was comparatively slower when you upload many photos at once. The app is more useful for Child care schools and less for the parents. There is less interactivity from parents to school and no options for parents to contact other parents.

Stephanie from Kinder Beginnings

Brightwheel Review

We appreciate the added functions for this software with each update, and that service representatives are responsive when needed.

Pros

Our families like receiving the real-time updates through the Brightwheel app, especially photos and videos. Streamlined messaging, and the calendar features are beneficial tools for our school. We are pleased to have lesson planning and observation features included in this software, as well as reporting functions. In the coming year, we plan to implement use of the check-in kiosk for our families and appreciate Brightwheel having this feature as well.

Cons

Some functionality is lacking which could save a significant amount of time if implemented. We would like the option to upload weekly menus for meals/snacks in advance, and be able to 'copy' weekly menus to following weeks. Another time saver would be pre-programmed notes for a child's daily feed, such as "diapers needed" or "please bring a change of clothing". Also, the ability to 'copy' basic information in a child's profile to a sibling's profile rather than entering the data a second time would be helpful.

Heather from High School

Invaluable App for Educators and Families

Please refer to the above answers.

Pros

The ability to upload photos with descriptions as well as categorize them into subjects/learning domains. It was exciting for parents to see photos in real time. It was also SUPER helpful that accident reports could be added in real time. Altogether the BEST feature was not having to write up separate accident reports, messages or newsletters to different parents by email or phone calls. Guardians provide their email to administration so that photos, messages, accident reports and newsletters go to all responsible parties easily. Then everyone is on the same page.

Cons

It was challenging to go back into newsletter/messages to edit. Parents complained they couldn’t send messages freely without choosing one of the pre-made options of the app. For instance, a parent could send a message to say that their child woke up once during the night and had trouble falling asleep as a heads up to the teacher that the child may be tired or cranky. Instead they had to choose an option such as the child would be absent that day. Additionally there was a very limited number of characters for parents to use in messages. Was not able to upload video successfully after many attempts.

Rya from KidzPointe Academy

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Best system for communication in Childcare

My overall experience with Brightwheel has been extremely positive. I recommend it to any school, large or small, looking for a means of communication and organization amongst their program.

Pros

The program is extremely easy to learn to use. My staff and parents are able to download the app and begin communicating with one another instantly. With this program, parents feel as if they are with their child each day, which is invaluable for preschool families. Parents and teachers can communicate in real-time without disrupting their day. This program is the BEST means of communication and most convenient tool for educator documentation I have seen in my 15 years as an Educator and Administrator.

Cons

I would love to see more options with billing and attendance reports. There are still some reports that help with auditing accounts that are not yet part of this program. I would love to be able to quickly pull attendance records for a whole classroom for a week and compare with billing. Unfortunately I do have to pull multiple reports or scan through attendance feeds to do so currently, which does take up a lot of unnecessary time. Brightwheel has; however, been changing and updating constantly to meet our administrative needs!

Rachel from Brooklake Childcare & Learning

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Game changer for childcare providers!

Brightwheel is amazing and has definitely given our center an edge. When potential families find out we send pictures, updates, messages and general information throughout the day it often becomes the deciding factor in enrolling their child with us. It has given our teachers another way to connect with their families and build stronger, trusting relationships.

Pros

I love that brightwheel provides an "all in one" way to communicate to families and document daily activities. It's easy to use and our parents love it. What I like most about it is it has a two way messaging system so parents can send messages and staff can get right back to them. It completely eliminates the need for parents to have to try to get through by phone or email, they have direct access to their child's teacher.

Cons

One of the things I dislike about brightwheel is that the billing portion keeps changing. Our management staff will get used to how to do invoices and check reports and then once again the format will change. It definitely throws us off so it'd be nice for it to be figured out and kept that way.

Lilly from Brooklyn Nature Days

brightwheel -- looking forward to developments

Overall I have enjoyed the app, as have my teachers and we get lots of positive feedback from parents. I do wish there was an option to just pick up a phone and call customer support and speak with them immediately for troubleshooting. We find that we spend more time than we would like helping families troubleshoot their BW issues -- most problems are quite simply solved but the time spent doing it adds up. It would be nice to just give families a number and have someone else help them since we already have a ton of stuff on our plate. For the most part though BW has been a gamechanger and we really enjoy the service... we are looking forward to the app growing and becoming more efficient and intuitive in the future.

Pros

I enjoy the service it provides. Connecting with parents, streamlining communication, the posting of photos, etc all help us maintain transparency with parents. The most recent messaging update has been a dramatic and valuable improvement.

Cons

It is not necessarily as intuitive as it should be. I think there are certain design elements that could help make it more user-friendly. The messaging system is great but could use some improvements in terms of searchability and archivability as well as overall efficiency. I would love to see a "search" button where you could message a parent not only from the "message" option but also directly from the child's profile as well as just "search" a child's name rather than have to scroll through the list to look at it.

Martha from Martha's Playcare

Brightwheel is the best!

Brightwheel has changed my life. I am a small licensed home daycare provider with 5 full time children from 3 families. Before Brightwheel I spent a minimum of 30 minutes a day writing in notebooks for my families. Every day I would jot down what we did, what they ate, how they slept and when they pooped. I also would take pictures and try to send them to the families on my phone, hoping every child looked good and that I had every child in every picture. Lol. Brightwheel changed my life because now I NO longer have to "worry" about the dreaded notebook everyday, I can update parents as our day goes on. It is wonderful, all my parents have remarked how they feel more connected with their child during the day knowing what they're doing! I also don't have to worry about the perfect picture, I can tag only the children in the picture, so I no longer worry about someone not being in the pic and that parent feeling bad, they don't even know I sent out that picture. It was a little scary getting started but every single question I asked (no matter how dumb) was answered quickly and once I realized there were certain things I could do on my phone and certain things I HAD to do on my computer it all got ALOT easier. It's hard not seeing what the parents see, but I have one Mom who is my "guinea pig" and we'll try the new things together and she'll let me know what she is seeing at the time. Another great thing about Brightwheel is it's good for my business, I am on the "cutting edge", my moms have other parents at their jobs who are jealous that they have Brightwheel and their daycare does not. Lol. I do share it with all daycare friends, I haven't converted anyone yet, but they all love it. So Brightwheel as made my days so much easier and we all love it.

Pros

Just the mere fact it exists in my world, it is amazing.

Cons

I'm not overly computer literate so I didn't realize there were certain things that I had to do on my computer and I couldn't do on my phone. I spent a couple of days feeling like a bit of an idiot until I figured that part out.

Nicole from The Highlander School

It works well enough

I really like the app.

Pros

It’s easy to use and meets most of our needs. We are still learning all the features. I love your costumer service reps and the instant feedback. They are always very helpful and responsive

Cons

Would love to be able to message the teachers only via brightwheel since we are all logged in and use it. It’ll be nice to go directly to the message when the notification comes up instead of have to go back to the individual class to retrieve the message. We are a small school with only 4 rooms so it’s easy to know which classroom to go to however, my last school had 18 classroom and if I had to search through all of those to match the room with the kid it would drive me bonkers with the amount of messages we receive daily. There needs to be a way to link people who are emergency contacts and approved pick ups so the list isn’t so long. And what’s the point of listing people as family members. Maybe a easier way to link siblings to the parents. I’ve struggled with that a lot In the calendar section under reminders there is an option to select a date. It would be nice to be able to enter in reminders and have then sent out on that date. That way you could enter a bunch of stuff at once, say at the beginning of month and have hem go out automatically on the desired date.

Rebecca from City Sprouts Preschool

Brightwheel is great but could still be more amazing...

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and how simple it makes managing the classroom(s). Having everything connected to the same app is great and limits the amount of time I need to spend running payroll and billing.

Cons

I dislike that parents are not able to add their own approved pick ups. At this point all approved pickups need to be added by an administrator and have to have their own separate account. For a lot of families that are just adding people as an emergency or for very infrequent it doesn’t make sense. I also would appreciate not having to deal with it on my end and instead allowing the parents to add someone connected to their account but still with a separate check in code. I also would love a way to upload or create student files for all required licensing documents to move away from using so much paper and having those important files also stored with everything else in the system making it even easier to keep track of everyone and set families up when they start

Tara from England Elementary Pre-K

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Great product, needs some tweaking

I love Brightwheel because parents always have a digital record of their child's experience in our program! We get to highlight our program and the things we are doing great, without posting every little thing on social media. BUT, the billing feature needs a major overhaul!

Pros

I like that parents can see what's going on in our program--pictures, activities, and send messages to teachers, without teachers using their personal information.

Cons

The billing feature just isn't up-to-par. Bills are automated, but are done separately, so it doesn't keep running totals of how much money a parent owes or a credit they may have. So I spend lots of time trying to keep up with with invoice a payment credits toward or how much money they have leftover. It's very confusing and time consuming. I have to open up different buttons to see where payments were credited. I just spent 45 minutes going over payments with a parent--all because I can't see how much money they still have on their account. I also thought the price was a little high.

Debra from Preschool Place

Easier Life as a Owner & Director

As an Owner director of a childcare brightwheel makes my life a whole lot easier!

Pros

I am a preschool teach turned Director Owner and I am not very good with the whole computer thing. With brightwheel I do not need to be computer smart. I have been able to figure out everything by myself! I appreciate the time they have put into developing this app to make is easy to use for Directors, Teachers and Parents. I have never had to explain how to use the app to anyone. I use it for attendance, Daily Reports, Billing, Assessments and Messaging parent back and forth.

Cons

I really love everything about brightwheel and every time they upgrade something I am like WOW I love it even more. They are constantly improving on what I think is already really good. When I do have a suggestion I message them and they say they will pass it on. Several messages I have sent are now part of the app so they are listening.

Jarrid from Full Circle Child Development

Great experience with room to grow

Our ultimate goal with Brightwheel is to have an all-in-one solution for parent communication and teaching. I believe Brightwheel is working on this but it is not there yet. The app is fantastically easy to operate and contains as many or more features found in other software. Suggestions are taken by the Brightwheel team, which is a huge plus. Concerns are more with cost/value as I still have to buy separate assessment/teaching system.

Pros

The fact that it brings most used features into one easy to use package. Updates are frequent and mostly useful, increasing the functionality of the app (also listed as a con below). I can also trust that parents can figure out the app fairly easily without having to teach each family how to use it.

Cons

Cost - while not a lot on a per child basis, it does add up. Especially given the fact that the documentation part of the software is messy and not as user friendly, which makes it unusable at this point. There is also a greater up-front cost with iPads/Tablets. App updates - updates are good, but features are updated without notice. This leaves the user/teacher scrambling to figure out the new features and changes before children get in. Lack of supervisor control - the app could use more lock down features so management can limit what can be done from a single user.

Jennette from Austin Discovery School

We love Brightwheel!

My school has experienced nothing but positive customer service from Brightwheel. They’ve been super responsive to both parents and my staff when needed. In 2.5 years of use, we’ve only experience 3 outages and they were all related to larger internet issues (not specifically Brightwheel’s fault). Even during those times they were responsive and helpful.

Pros

We’ve been using brightwheel at our school since May 2016. It’s super easy to use and they keep enhancing the software and making it better. Invoicing is super easy. The cost is relatively low for the value that we get. It allows me to track kids and know who is here and ratios with ease.

Cons

There are a couple of things I don’t like. For example once a parent has issued a partial payment on an invoice, you can’t change/edit the invoice. I also don’t like that brightwheel isn’t integrated with PayPal. A lot of our families want to use PayPal which requires me to go in an manually mark payments as paid.

Allison from Baby Beluga Nursery

Daycare GODSEND

I love how easy this app is to use for parents! We can communicate so easily about bottles, nap schedules, or even with photos of injuries if we need to. I recommend it to every daycare I come across.

Pros

Brightwheel is so easy to use and is very organized. It's easy to find the information you're looking for (intake, last diaper change, how long a child napped) and to communicate with parents. The check in/check out feature allows you to easily see how many children are in attendance and even lets you view staff to child ratios! I love being able to send photos and videos to parents in a secure, private platform that's easy to access.

Cons

This app works better for smaller numbers of children. My summer program used it only for check in/check out numbers, messaging parents, getting quick information (phone numbers, allergies, etc), and occasional photos or videos. We had a large group of school agers (average of 30 children each day) and ran a large group for activities. Had we been separated into smaller groups, we would have been able to add more into each child's log daily.

Amanda from Home Facility

My Brightwheel Review

I love that I can use this for all the parts of my business. It makes tracking money and hours worked for taxes easy. I think when I show potential clients it helps sell my service. Parents seem impressed with it.

Pros

It is easy to use, my parents love that I can communicate with them through the app daily. I keep logs of attendance, naps, diapers, food and snacks and can also log medication given, accidents or any other things I need to log. It is easy to talk to parents through the app. I also use if for billing and tracking my hours worked. It's my one stop shop for all the things I need to run my childcare home.

Cons

I wish that you could access billing on the mobile app. It would make things easier. Also, parents should be able to set their own check in code, in the beginning they can never remember and I have to go into the desktop version to find it, that part is a hassle. I do wish the credit card fees were cheaper.

Michelle from The Leet Center

Document learning and your day

I have found Brightwheel to be easy to utilize within the my classroom and use. My college students are able to aid in uploading and documenting as well as my preschool students.

Pros

I have found that in my preschool classroom we can easily communicate with parents through the notes as well as photos and videos. This software allows me to use Missouri State Standards to show what goals my students meet through play and social interactions with each other. I am able to do my attendance and lunch count as well as document sleeping patterns of my students. I can also document absences. Parents get immediate feedback on their child's day.

Cons

As of right now I can put multiple pictures on at one time, unless I am adding custom goals then I can only do one picture at a time. There are times where I have more than one photo for certain custom goals. I would like to be able to have the option to add more than one photo when using this. The only other thing that can make brightwheel hard it that it looks different depending on the devise you are using. The IPad version is different than the app version and both are different than the computer version. If these were a little more streamlined that would be helpful.

Cara from Joshua Early Childhood Center

Brightwheel for Child Care/Preschools

Pros

Brightwheel makes our lives so much easier in many ways at our preschool, but the main things are probably the way we can communicate with our parent population and invoicing. We can talk to parents through mass classroom messaging as well as individual messaging. Brightwheel allows us to send photos throughout the day which is what parents love most. A few messages and photos throughout the day help parents know what questions to ask their kiddos about their day which improves family communication. The invoicing feature is fantastic as well since many of our parents prefer electronic invoicing and it keeps all of our information in one place. Student records, invoices, attendance etc. everything can be done on Brightwheel!

Cons

The one thing I do wish Brightwheel had was an internal chat function for our teachers to be able to communicate within Brigthwheel throughout the day as well since we are constantly using it for parents. It would be wonderful to chat with each other through the platform.

Christy from Ridge Pointe Child Care

Looking to foster communication with familes ... look no further!

Brightwheel has made a huge difference in the area of communicating with families. For years, I had been on the hunt for an application that would allow direct communication between our parents and staff. I discovered Brightwheel in the beginning of 2016 and instantly fell in love with its ease of use and the ability to send updates to parents. Parents have commented how much they appreciate getting pics/videos/updates on their children throughout the day. I also love the ability to quickly communicate with all families instantly in case of emergencies or just to get a general message out. Another lifesaver is the bill pay feature. It has cut my trips to the bank down and helps with making sure accurate amounts are paid. If their is an issue, I can quickly adjust the invoice and resend. Parents really seem to love how easy it is to use!

Pros

Ease of use Instant communication between families and staff Reduces Paperwork Aids in documentation

Cons

I can't really think of anything. I've been a true fan ... since before it's introduction on Shark Tank!

Lisa from Little and Loved Daycare

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Would definitely recommend!! :)

I've used this app for a year and a half now for my home daycare (usually 20 children at any given time), and I LOVE it! I cannot imagine running my business without it now! The billing is easy to use! The parents feel connected, and it doesn't require much effort to input things into the app so it doesn't take time away from the children. It's easy to use for myself, my staff, and all the families. Thank you Brightwheel for making such a fantastic tool to help my parents feel so connected to their children while they're at work, it's made a big difference!

Pros

-Technical support = SUPER QUICK and personable -Brightwheel is open to new suggestions/improvements and implements those -Easy to use for parents, staff, and myself as the owner -Billing easy to use (reoccurring or individual invoices, auto payments, print off billing summary for taxes,etc) -Price reasonable for all you get with the app -Check in/out for kids and staff (makes payroll so easy!) -SO easy to add pictures, videos, food, meals, naps, incidents, etc for individual kids or the whole group quickly

Cons

Love the app, and cannot think of a con at this time.

Raizy from Gan Chabad Monteaaori

I’m a parent and teacher in the same school

I absolutely love bright wheel! It’s made teaching a bit easier and as a parent it’s a great way to communicate with the school and teachers.

Pros

I like how parents and teachers can communicate with each other at their convenience. As a parent I absolutely love getting videos and pictures of my child and as a teacher I like sending them out to the parents so they can see what their child is doing. I also like how a teacher is able to keep tabs on all the kids like what rooms there and then when they were absent.

Cons

As a parent with multiple children the same school, when a notification is sent and it doesn’t tell me which child the door is for. It Also sometimes as a parent I would like to send the teachers a picture of something my child is doing at home or if they were set with something else that wasn’t there then I can show them a picture and let them know that we have iT.

Mariah from Trails School for Early Learning

Great App But Constant Bugs

While the bugs can be frustrating sometimes, Brightwheel is one of the highlights for families at our school and we're very glad to have it. It's straightforward, modern, and useful, but it does need some much needed maintenance and revision for it to be working properly.

Pros

Brightwheel is a really wonderful app for schools and makes it easy for administration to track lots of info about all of the students. We use it not only for communication but for documentation as well, for example immunizations, and it's wonderful to have it all in one place for teachers and parents to access.

Cons

We're constantly having issues with small bugs in the software. Pictures and videos won't always load despite file size, messages won't get sent, messages can't be opened, etc. It doesn't always seem like there's great maintenance going on and when you need to get in contact with parents quickly it's very frustrating. There also isn't really an option to go through a child's activities except for constantly scrolling through days and days of records, which doesn't even always work.

Anne from Precious Lambs ELC

Teacher's Point of View

I am able to better communicate with parents and give them a better picture of what happens during our school day.

Pros

Brightwheel is highly enjoyed by my parents. They especially like getting picture updates of their children. I enjoy being able to "text" my parents and get an immediate response without having to call them. It is helpful that they now align with NC state standards and can help me assess my students.

Cons

A big problem I have had with brightwheel is using their app to take pictures, my pictures do not get saved and I lose the picture of I go to do anything else. If you want to upload videos, I suggest using the app, because it is very difficult to get any video from your device onto the app. You also can only take a tiny video clip. I would love to have longer videos! I am sad that we can not align brightwheel with Teaching strategies gold.

Confidence in care

Overall, Brightwheel has improved the engagement of families in my school’s community. The ability to communicate with ease through Brightwheel empowers families and they have more confidence that their child is in good hands.

Pros

I like Brightwheel software because it enables me to connect with families in real-time. I can let families know ahead of time about what is happening with their child at school, and ask them questions without having to make disruptive phone calls.

Cons

The functionality of various features on the apps could be better. I experience some frustration when demobstrating how to use the app to new users who have an operating system different from my own device. Features like student check-in/out are unpredictable and I receive constant complaints from parents every day when they try to check their child in or out and the app appears to require something different each day.

Andrea from Little Dar's Daycare LLC

Life Saver

I have been able to make taxes easier with Brightwheel. With the meal tracking, deposit/invoice tracking, and yearly reports it has made inputting the numbers into my taxes so easy. I have been able to spend more time focusing on the children rather than worrying about daily reports and telling every parent what we did at the end of the day.

Pros

Everything. I love everything about Brightwheel. From the bill pay to the daily feeds for the children. My parents love it too. It makes communication and payments with my families seamless. I really like that you can print yearly reports of your deposits, meals, and milestone tracking. This program helps me keep everything logged for my state license and Paths to Quality, the quality rating program I participate in.

Cons

The deposit fee. I already pay a monthly fee for the program which is relatively cheap considering what you get. However, the deposit fee per transaction gets pricey. It would be great if you could be like a flat rate. Maybe add it to the monthly cost instead of charging it with every transaction.

Bernadine from The Tasty Love

Best way to communicate with the School

I use this everyday for check in , check out, message and share pictures and videos for my child's school. It's great.

Pros

It's very easy to track every check in and check out entry of my little one in her school. I can receive important messages from the school so that I never miss anything happening at the school. And I can send messages to her teacher and the school administration regarding absence , sickness and anything regarding my child. Her teacher can send photos and videos of the school events through brightwheel. And also parents can share pictures and videos among teachers and other children in the class. And both parents have access and can track the child's activities.

Cons

I hope it has a little bit more capacity when sharing videos. The video have to be less than around 2 minutes to share now.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 2,550 reviews