• Pros

• "It is easy to use, great storage capability. We use to store images of checks and it can store the information for many years."

• "This software is easy to use and fairly user friendly. I like that the software seems to be very literal. "

• "Excellent content manager, excellent as a bpm, you can get the Mix with other systems (dynamics, outlook, your core software) and it woks perfectly "

• Cons

• "The document not found area is a bit hard to understand, however once you learn the system it is easy to figure out. "

• "At times it can be difficult to navigate - and can be rather intimidating without proper training. But with proper training, it's pretty easy to use."

• "Depending upon how it is being used, the number of options can be somewhat intimidating. However, once a user is briefed on how to utilize the system and its tools, this is no longer an issue."

Browse OnBase Reviews

Stephen from 80/20 Inc.

OnBase

My overall experience with OnBase has been excellent. I don't know what I would do without it as far as keeping me organized. I recommend this software to anyone that has countless PDFs they need to keep a record of and have the option of retrieving at any given moment.

Pros

OnBase is excellent for keeping copies of all my client's purchase orders in one place. The layout is user friendly and very simple to use. I mainly use it to keep track of countless numbers of PDFs I have on file. Once imported in to OnBase, I am able to retrieve those files with a simple search. It's been a lifesaver for keeping me organized.

Cons

The only issue I have with OnBase is a minor annoyance. When I am importing documents, I am not able to drag and drop multiple files at a time. If I have 10 files to import, then I have to do 10 separate imports for each. Other than that, I do not have any complaints.

Lee from CSUSM

OnBase

In addition to allowing our institution to securely store and safely access student records, the newest user interface and features are easier to use. I'm not sure if our institution purchased some upgraded features in OnBase or if it itself has had an upgrade and facelift, but it seems to be running faster and with the clearly labeled icon/tools using OnBase has only gotten easier. It's great!

Pros

I think OnBase's newer colorful web-based appearance and interface is a bug PLUS! The interface and functionality is much more user friendly and I love the ability to create my own Favorites so I can quickly jump to the specific user pages/information that I need and use most often.

Cons

Honestly there aren't really any negatives about OnBase that I can think of. I guess if I had to say anything negative it is that I have not had formal training in using OnBase and could learn more about its newer features (so user error or lack of learning more on my part). I'm using it right now and it's great...I usually only use a few features to perform the tasks I need to when searching for student records/documents and after clicking around to see what I might dislike about it I actually found another feature I love about it! - the Query History tool is super cool! To be able to see a list of my most recent searches is yet another feature I like about OnBase!

Randy from OptumHealth

OnBase has gone downhill

Pros

all in one document and workflow management software, but the pros end there. OnBase 13 was great, OnBase 17 not so much

Cons

we upgraded from OnBase 13 to OnBase 17 and let me tell you it is a disaster. OnBase 17 is slower substantially in every category. We are using a click once install, now it has to check the server every time you open, word, or excel, outlook or even OnBase itself for a new version, which sounds great, but this can take 30-45 seconds EVERYTIME you want to open a document. Switching from inbox to related items is very slow, 6-10 seconds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but over the course of a day where you do this 70 times, well you do the math for wasted productivity. And then there is the Random errors that constantly come up on a users system that has worked just fine for months, but there is no solution to that either. Hyland support is virtually non existent, their only solutions are run this software utility that they have. Nothing is ever resolved, they just keep "kicking the can down the road", or tell us to update to version 18. sorry after this disaster our next upgrade will be to something else. Our business users are screaming to go back to version 13.

Best ECM software on the market with great workflow capability

Drastically improved workflow processes and document management/retention.

Pros

Best workflow engine I have ever seen, allows point and click configurable workflows with almost no need for custom scripting (though that is an option). The way it organizes document types is the best I have seen and has a LOT of capabilities for integrating with other line of business systems. The interface is very modern looking as long as you are using the desktop Unity Client or the Web based client. They also offer mobile applications that work very well.

Cons

Though the scanning features are very good and getting better the forms recognition still isn't as good as most dedicated scanning applications. Also the cost of OnBase tends to be higher than many others but I do find that you get what you pay for.

OnBase

Pros

I enjoy OnBase for its straightforward easy to use setup. I am able to import my customer's purchase orders and bill of materials in OnBase in seconds. This then gives me the ability to pull them up at any given time by the purchase order or sales order. When talking to my clients, I am able to refer back to their documents quickly by using OnBase.

Cons

My biggest issue with OnBase is when importing PDF files, you are not able to drag and drop more than one file at a time. Sometime I am needing to import several related documents at the same time but have to take the time to import each file one by one. Having the option to import an entire folder or more that file at a time would be a huge time saver.

Christopher from San Diego Regional Center

Don't Try Anything Mobile or Remote

Terrible.

Pros

The ability to generate and query digitized documents was powerful.

Cons

Where to begin? If you're attempting to leverage this program for mobile document generation and/or signature gathering, look elsewhere! Numerous issues with sustaining sessions and maintaining connectivity. Furthermore, the error messaging is atrocious! End-users, myself included, constantly report not being able to successfully save documents or the program hanging on submission without any type of error messaging. Also, creating new forms is a nightmare! The number of places where profiles and and different data objects have to be created to get forms to correctly pass information is absurd. There's also no easy way to build upon old forms so you're stuck having to reinvent the wheel each time you may have a subtle difference or different process/user flow for an updated form.

Great for Case Management

I would definitely think that OnBase would be a useful tool for any healthcare facility that needs to verify health insurance of patients or needs to make claims.

Pros

OnBase is a great and easy tool to use for patient case management. As someone who is often responsible for verifying the health insurance of patients, I need to create caseloads on OnBase. Through doing this, it is easy to manage and track the different steps of the insurance verification, insurance claims, and billing through OnBase. What I like the most about this software definitely has to be how it streamlines this process.

Cons

There is definitely a bit of a learning curve for those who are using this for the first time. I think that most tools used in medical settings tend to be somewhat complex to navigate around and this is no different.

Sonya from The Ohio State University

Great software

Pros

First when I was learning about this software, I learned that so much can be done just in this system. Its so flexible that it can be used for accounting, hr, etc. The main page of this software is build-able and can be used to keep track of employees progress.

Cons

Sometimes this software freezes when you scroll around through multiple thing. You have to restart the program many times.

Marishia from Brookdale Senior Living

My A/P program

I am a vendor analyst in accounts payable, and this is one of our main programs.

Pros

This is an effective program for accounts payable and is easy to learn and manipulate data for entry.

Cons

This program is easy to problem shoot should an issue occur, and I see nothing difficult about it's performance.

Erica from CSUSM Extended Learning

OnBase is used in my daily tasks to view documents

Being able to see student documents on site and off site when needed to evaluate and assess their files appropriately.

Pros

OnBase makes it easy to view student documents and files to evaluate student files and assess their transcripts. Saving and printing documents when needed is easy to do as well. This system makes my job easier.

Cons

Onbase is extremely versatile, but it takes time to learn the software and what it is capable of.

I use Onbase daily for my job, so I see benefits in streamlining and automating process through workflow which save me thousands of hours a year.

Pros

It's unique, extremely versatile, and has thousands of integration's. It's extremely useful for a lot of different purposes. Specifically I've used this for document management. It has numerous options for user administration, which is helpful. There are modules for just about everything you can think of, and most are well-made and do their job.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve to Onbase. The software licensing is not always cheap or ideal, and sometimes you can hit a brick wall due to unforeseen issues. Someone with a deep understanding of the software is an invaluable asset to any implementation.

Our organization utilizes OnBase for our invoicing, approvals, and T/E, which serves us very well.

OnBase allows our organization to swiftly process invoices, approvals, T/E reimbursements, and house all backup data for transactions. The software is very user friendly and would be an asset to any organization looking to upgrade their Accounts Payable department.

Pros

OnBase is a great software to utilize when wanting a virtual database that can easily be accessed and used by users of all experience levels. The software does an excellent job in communicating with other programs, which allows our organization to have the peace of mind our financial system is correct.

Cons

The only con I have at this time is a few options, such as the print option, are not as easily accessible as previous options. It would be great to have the CNTRL-P option to print again.

Denny from The University of Alabama

Using OnBase in Higher Education

Within the Registrar's Office, we utilize OnBase and it's ability to use OCR functionality to capture information from students' transcripts for input into our student information system. This alone eliminates dozens of hours of manual labor each week. On top of that, it is a reliable, quick, enterprise imaging solution.

Pros

OnBase provides a feature-rich imaging solution that is beloved on our campus. In addition to being a solid imaging solution, OnBase features a powerful workflow engine that allows for easy automation of processes.

WILLIAM from WorldView LTD

Been working with this vendor and software for 3 years to develop solutions for customers at my job.

Pros

Onbase is truly an ECM software that can capture all of a companies business processes. From AP, and AR, to HR and even healthcare solutions, Onbase has features and functionality that allows for a wide array of solutions and configurations. Simple back-end for managers and administrators, as well as a good UI for end-users.

Cons

The wide range of configuration options and features means it takes years to learn all the capabilities of the software. Onbase support is often times unhelpful for more complicated configurations and network dependencies, often taking days/weeks to resolve more complicated issues.

Bonnie from Pacific Oaks College

OnBase

We were lucky to have been using OnBase for our document storage system, not every school in the district chose to use OnBase like we did. Being able to transfer the scanned documents from OnBase into our previous database system was different at first, but we quickly caught on how to use it. Recently the district switched to a new application system only to find that they can't upload documents directly into it. When it was announced that all schools would need to use OnBase we are happy, as we are already ahead of everyone else! Our transition to the new software has been almost seamless.

Pros

OnBase allows us to securely store and safely access student records easily.

Cons

When I first started using OnBase i had the older version (looked like an old DOS or mainframe system), and it was hard to sometimes locate student records, and/or see if there were more levels (additional documents) for the same student. But once I switched to the newer version I was able to easily see much more and drill down when a single student had more than one document scanned into OnBase.

Amy from Hopp Insurance Agency

User friendly

I use this as part of a carrier page to search for and retrieve documents, so far this have been great software. I like that the documents are all compartmentalized so you can search by the type of document.

Pros

Cons

Sometimes the software freezes up or give you the infamous 'circle of death' while it attempts to pull up the document - however this could be unrelated to the actual software and more of a computer issue.

OnBase is a versatile, robust electronic document management system. I have been continually pleased

It doesn't seem obvious, but implementing this software helped us standardize our business processes. Obvious benefits are that we were able to streamline processes and keep our business documentation in one place.

Pros

OnBase is very versatile, so it can be configured to work within you environment, whatever it looks like.

Cons

Because it is so versatile, trying to figure out exactly how to build it out can be a bit confounding. Sometimes it's simpler to take a canned version of a thing and implement it, but that isn't usually the best bet.

Solange from University of Miami

Versatile system, but still has a few limitations

Centralized document retention and management cloud based system

Pros

The ability to be Green and scan emails, word docs, excel spreadsheets directly into onbase without having to print the items first

Cons

The user unfriendliness of generating statistical reports from the system requires the assistance of an administrator. Everyday users are not able to easily configure reports. Also administrators are sometimes unable to generate adhoc reports

LOVE THIS SOFTWARE

Pros

I used this software while working for a credit union and we were really working about the implementation/switch but honestly it was so smooth besides a few system bugs. That's where their awesome customer service comes in.

Cons

I really don't have much to report that I didn't like. Maybe just the speed of the system, but that can always be because of network connectivity issues.

Good Paperless Option

OnBase made the conversion to paperless relatively seamless for my office.

Pros

OnBase offers a lot of great features that make it easy for users to adapt to working with scans of the documents, rather than the documents themselves. It offers several options for organizing, searching, and file managing.

Cons

Phillip from Perrin Apparel, Inc.

Complex and Complete. Quick ROI

I am an application administrator, working to improve business functions and reduce process costs with OnBase.

Pros

This software is complex!! It allows you to do a myriad of things all in the name of streamline your workflow.

Cons

This software is complex! It takes time to grow comfortable in managing it. There are so many companion apps necessary to be successful that it can be costly.

Krysti from California State University San Marcos

Easy to Use

Pros

I like how you have all documents link together so when you search a name, everything pulls up.

Cons

I don’t like that we don’t have the ability to have a workflow or a way to send documents to other departments. If there is that ability , it should be standard for universities.

Raul from First American Bank

Resold via Wausau IMS

Pros

Very modular and customizeable. Very solid software. The IMS support is excellent and responsive.

Cons

I get the best support from Wausau. If there is an issue that is refererd to Hyland then it takes a while to get resolved

The Ferrari of content management

Pros

Cons

It’s expensive! But every cents worth it

Brian from ALF

Reliable customer tracking software

The support at Hyland is great and they can find workarounds for all issues.

Pros

Onbase is a front end for a database system that can track customers in unique industries where other software does not meet customer needs. The software interface is reliable and easy to navigate. Best of all it is highly customizable. Reporting off of the database tables can be tricky as they are not named logically but by codes/numbers.

Cons

Licensing per user is a expensive. Frequent updates/service patches that require vendor support.

Simplify your life with Onbase

I use OnBase whenever a department needs to know if a check is cashed. I type the check number and immediately I can view an image of the check.

Pros

Cons

The new version of OnBase makes item more difficult to view.

Angela from TransUnion

Advanced platform for content management

If I talk about the benefits of using this product. I would say it is playing a vital role in our organization. Also I would say they have responsive customer support.

Pros

It has been an excellent product for content management. With the assistance of this product we can change over unstructured information into an organized one that contains numbers, dates and certainties so as to improve the information conveyance and generally correspondence in a specific association and companies. I would say it is a useful product.

Cons

It has been long time using this versatile tool. It is great that I have not ever come across any major problem. It always gives perfect services. I am a satisfied user of Onbase.

Great for document management

This is a great program for anyone trying to go green. It's a time saver for me which is key in my work area.

Pros

I use this everyday to access documents for credentialing, I really love the fact that everything is all in one place for me to find. Document management is key and saves me time.

Cons

Make sure you get the right training, this program can be a bit confusing until you know what your doing and where your going.

Tiffany from LA City

Great content management

Pros

I like how all our documents can be scanned and saved on the system which gives me access to pretty much any document at any time. It's easy to search for documents as well using the different filters.

Cons

Nothing. It works great and is desktop based so it's very reliable. I suppose if you have a lot of documents saved in the system it can take a bit longer to filter at times.

Joshua from Heaven 88.7

Industry: Public Relations and Communications

Does a lot but takes some getting used to

It allowed us to save and keep documents in a central location.

Pros

The software does what it does well. Documents can be viewed and it allows complex hierarchies. It just work, doesn't seem to have bugs or problems.

Cons

It's a bit difficult to use, takes a bit of a learning curve. And this is nitpicky, but it's not really a beautiful piece of software. It looks kind of outdated.

Leslie from BSO

Used for scanning documents.

Pros

Ease of use, searching is easy. My dept. has scanned thousands and thousands of documents: personnel files, applicant documents, etc.

Cons

After documents are scanned, you have to manually commit or release each document. Very time consuming and hard on the wrist (using mouse to click multiple times). Editing is a little cumbersome.

Good document management and archiving software

We needed to replace our document management system that was outdated and no longer being supported. OnBase was a good solution for migrating our existing documents, data and indexing information. It took some effort to get this migrated and set up, but is now working very well with few issues or problems.

Pros

OnBase is fairly easy to use for our end users as long as they remember that they need to index accurately and give good data for each document/file they upload to OnBase so it can be found easily at a later time. In other words, it works great as long as you know how to use it! Documents are easily categorized and indexed for archiving of public records that need to be stored for years to come.

Cons

The public web interface is very limited in what it can do for our public users. I am hoping for an improvement in a new version update.

Candace from BWL

Industry: Computer Hardware

OnBase is a great CMS tool!

The benefits of using OnBase software include having access to a great content management tool. Other benefits of using OnBase client include easy file storage management system to learn. Additional benefits of using OnBase include secured file management storage with limited user access. More benefits of using OnBase client include great archival options for outdated files. Overall, OnBase reduces the amount of paper being transferred from location to location depending on the size of your company.

Pros

OnBase is a great content management tool. OnBase interfaces with a web client provided by the company. OnBase offers a database storage for customers and clients to manage documents in various file types. OnBase communicates with an application server and database disk groups. OnBase has three knowledge panels accompanied with a search function and display console.

Cons

Outdated software such as enterprise software may cause the communication or interfacing of OnBase to fail. Thus file syncing may be affected due to the lag in progressive updates. Functions may differ depending on the version type of download. Limited ways to flag documents. Application may crash or freeze while working within the client.

OnBase For the Office

OnBase is very useful, and is incredibly important to our office. The interface is a bit clunky, and the software crashes. Other than that, it's a good product.

Pros

It's comparable with the database software we use. A simple data entry screen allows the user to easily enter the information that is needed. In a matter of seconds, your documents are saved.

Cons

Too frequently, the software crashes and does not work. More than twice in the last 3 months the software crashed and we were not able to see our documents for a few business days. Customer service was helpful, but the problem took a while to fix.

Matthew from South Coast AQMD

Good database software but has its quirks

Pros

OnBase is used at my workplace to organize tons of files and documents which is useful not only for accessing my own team's files but also to access other team's files if necessary.

Cons

The layout of the software tools isn't the most intuitive or accessible. For instance, printing a document isn't so easy as CTRL+P; there's a few clicks you have to do to print.

Robust product with amazing support

The best of similar document management products. Amazing support and gave us the flexibility for storing and searching of documents that we required.

Pros

Amazing support, very helpful and willing to go the extra mile. Very robust product that can be adapted to many different document situations.

Cons

Product does take some time to learn from a end user and administrative perspective. Product documentation was sometimes confusing or lacking.

Cristina from Worldview LTD

Using OnBase for Document Management

Excellent Document Management. Learned how to utilize Electronic Document Management.

Pros

It has a lot of useful functionalities. I like the most "Document Upload" because it allows you to upload any document and store it in OnBase, then you can search it and view it.

Cons

Workflow Configuration is challenging if Workflow is complicated. Requires a lot of time to research, test or hold extended training.

Aman from SCO Family of Services

Onbase Hyland Unity Client for document scanning and sharing

Pros

Process oriented approach to collect documents, share and execute plan to convert the hard copy documents readily available to business via hyland unity client is simply superb. It helped recognize the missing paperwork if any of our employees so that we can remain compliant. The overall installation of the client is easy and works great with single sign on option.

Cons

The time taken to lay out an estimate and share the plan by the vendor was more than expected.

Deb from Peace Corps

Industry: International Affairs

Solid content management software

OnBase serves a great value as a way to store documents for my organization.

Pros

OnBase is straightforward. The learning curve is not steep. It's easy to find content you've uploaded. There are a lot of customization options.

Cons

I use this software daily, and about once every 15 days it just does not let me upload documents. Fortunately, I can wait a day and then it works again usually, but I can't count on it to be 100% reliable.

Ted from Nevada Supreme Court

This is the best document management solution.

Pros

This product has lots of features and functionalities. My favorite modules are: 1. Workflow. We can use this module to streamline our document distribution process. 2. Document Import Process. We can use this module to do bulk import.

Cons

The product is somewhat expensive. You need to purchase individual modules if you need more functionalities. The training classes are not cheap either.

Great file maintenance software for HR records. Click-heavy, but easy to organize.

Pros

OnBase is easy to organize records by team member and subcategory. It's easy to find what you need and user friendly.

Cons

The software is a bit click heavy, and could be a bit more intuitive. Not a major issue as it's still very simple.

Onbase

It’s helpful to have this software especially when you want to track something that may have happened years ago

Pros

Let’s you store all communication and documents in one place making it easier for anyone to access the documents when necessary

Cons

Seems like an old school version of saving things. The way the documents are saved is not in order or difficult to navigate

My Accounting Partner

Pros

First of all its a straight forward set up which is very easy to use and i personally happy with its UI. We can back up all the transactions and invoice generated or sale-purchase orders. Electronic documentation is done with this software.

Cons

I just say its very expensive but worth for every single pie. And good things are always worthy.

Good software but needs upgrades for efficiency

I like onbase but would like to see some efficiency improvements.

Pros

At times the processes for accessing information can be a bit confusing / daunting. It would be nice if the software was a bit more user friendly so that we would use more features. The software has a lot of features but not all are easy to use (take time) so aren't being of use to us.

Cons

Needs to be more efficient processes; less clicks, more accessibility, drag-drop, etc.

Easy to pick up and learn!

Extremely user friendly and easy to work with. We have been able to run with PowerBI without having to do extensive training, and has boosted our productivity and analytics insights

Pros

There are tons of connectors and interoperability features. That plus the fact the system is so easy to use!

Cons

It does come with a cost that could be hard to swallow for some, but it is so worth it!

Document Correction

Pros

I like the Integration with Epic and the many features that come with it.

Cons

Unity Client and the document correction workflow could be improved, allowing it to be more user friendly.

Hyland Onbase

Converted the paper application process into a electronic digital medium.

Pros

The ability to configure indexed fields to perform auto sweeps of documents. This allows for various ways to segment the swept documents in different folders as well.

Cons

There are a lot of features to use. There is a lot to learn with auto-indexing, search categories, etc.

Aaron from SemGas, L.P.

Industry: Oil & Energy

Efficient Invoicing

Been gradually liking the program with use. It does what it suppose to do.

Pros

The program has made approving invoicing more efficient. No more exchanging emails to get approvals.

Cons

Very big learning curve to understand program features and uses. When an invoice is rejected the reason is not sent back.

Parish from University Hospitals

Document imaging application

Pros

OnBase is a great document imaging application that allows you to view, scan, index, and retrieve patient related documents and correspondence. The software also has the functionality of worklist.

Cons

There is not much I do not like about the OnBase software.

Rosalyn from Portland State University

I use OnBase as respository for application in the process of being reviewed; the interface is great

Pros

What I like most about OnBase is that the interface is clear and simple. What you see is what you get.

Cons

What I don't like about the software is that it is hard to navigate. Getting from different screens can have you lost and unsure of how to get back to your original location.