ResourceSpace

ResourceSpace Reviews

RATING:

Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Ease of use for the end user and the control over the assets for me as administrator."
  • icon"We're excited about its huge capacity to help us keep, track, and recall our resources in a moment with its powerful search mechanisms."
  • icon"The Montala support team has been amazing - super-fast response time, despite being on different continents. Every rep I've had contact with has been helpful, respectful, and patient."
  • icon"Was hard to search for photos. We also didn't have the staff to keep the software upgraded or maintained."
  • icon"Some customisation options are tricky to find and often located in the backend config.php file, requiring specific php knowledge."
  • icon"There is no documentation that explains the underlying technological concepts."

Have you used ResourceSpace and would like to share your experience with others?

All ResourceSpace Reviews

Charles Andrew

A simple yet powerful platform with a good degree of flexibility

Pros

ResourceSpace is simple yet powerful. I would say that the most important aspect is that it's user-friendly for end-users, and that has made a big difference. I found the Montala team to also be friendly and efficient in sorting out a few issues and bugs. There are many functionalities that we at this point do not make use of, but it's good to know they are there in case we need them.

Cons

The collections system at the bottom of the screen offer a simple interface to manage your selections but it's also easy to make mistakes and modify previously created collections. I would suggest that when logging back into a new session, that the "current collection" be reset to a new collection to avoid mistakes.

Margaret

Review of ResourceSpace

In general I am very pleased with ResourceSpace, and the customer service I receive.

Pros

ResourceSpace is a really helpful and user-friendly digital asset management system that has enabled us to effectively share resources throughout our organisation and beyond, setting appropriate access levels.

Cons

Development happens without consultation, and the recent introduction of the new 'selection' option has caused me several problems in adding an extra stage in my work process. I'd appreciate greater flexibility in deciding which new features I want, and which I'd rather opt out of.

Reasons for choosing ResourceSpace

I appreciated the flexibility in being able to set up our own keywording structure, and being able to collaborate with the team at Montala in how our system was set up.

Reasons for switching to ResourceSpace

We preferred the features and flexibility of ResourceSpace.

Response from Montala

Many thanks for the excellent review!

Anthony

Price is good. The UX... not so much

Sadly we pitched this software to a big enterprise level client without realizing the full extent how rough it is to work with. We made a bit of a mess for ourselves because trying to teach the client how to use this was incredibly painful and ultimately led to us looking for new solutions.

Pros

The price. We are big fans of open source software and we also have a bunch of clients that really need Digital Asset Management but cannot afford Widen or similar solutions.

Cons

The UX is terrible. Figuring out how to get a lot of assets into the system and to organize them into folders is amazingly counter-intuitive. It would be utterly impossible to teach clients on how to use the system unless they are very technically savvy and have tons of patience. Also, uploading assets in bulk is theoretically possible but not really sensible. Let's say you want to upload 100 images of people all at once. The file names might be like john.jpg, wendy.jpg, amy.jpg, etc. When you go to upload those 100 photos, you can only set one name for all of them. So, wendy.jpg is going to be named "John" and amy.jpg is also going to be named "John". So after you upload them all, then you have to go in and re-name 99 of the images to the filenames that you wanted. What a terrible waste of time. Also, if you want to store assets in folders within folders, I would not bother with Resource Space. There are bugs with this which you can work around but it is so painful that it is not worth it. This system probably really good if you are OK with just dumping everything into the system with no organization and then forcing your users to use the search feature to find everything.

Response from Montala

Hi Anthony, Thanks again for the constructive feedback - this is always very useful to us. A quick update: Since your review we've hired a UX consultancy and overhauled the UI significantly. We'd love to be able to show you what we've done. I've sent you a LinkedIn invite - catch up soon perhaps? Regarding the naming of assets on upload, it's not necessary to enter a title for the full set and in fact the system can use the filenames as the titles if that's easier (which I think is what you wanted to happen). That's just configuration and I'd be happy to walk you through that. Dan ResourceSpace Team Lead

Frederick

Open customizable platform that requires technical expertise to use well.

Pros

We were drawn to ResourceSpace because of it feature set and that it was open source project. Initially, we hosted it on our own servers, then paid for support from the developer, then transitioned to a hosted plan. It is incredibly flexible. You can develop customized access with user groups, and limit use, to some extent, on a per user basis. You can alter the interface and add to it using custom plug-ins. The number of users is not restricted. With a clear out of the box feature set, the open source nature of ResourceSpace makes rebranding and customization only limited by developer cost and time.

Cons

ResourceSpace is feature rich, has developed over a long time and is continually evolving. This has led to a complicated code base which can create edge case functionality that doesn’t work as expected. There is no documentation that explains the underlying technological concepts. This would help in planning customization or adapting the ResourceSpace way. There are times when changes can yield unexpected results. While open source, and easily installed, this software is not “free,” it will require technical expertise to keep it running efficiently. The bulk of development has been done by Montala, this means there is not a large group of collaborative developers with expertise who fully understand its inner workings. There does not appear to be a place for users to get answers to meaningful questions of use.

Reasons for choosing ResourceSpace

The open nature of it. It has an opinionated design, but is customizable. We are free to move servers at anytime. While we pay for support from the developers, we are not wedded to their hosting server or continuing support from them. There is no per user cost.

Reasons for switching to ResourceSpace

The previous options were either cumbersome or not taken up by our internal users.

Response from Montala

Many thanks for the fantastic review! If you're looking for more technical documentation we added database and function documentation recently: https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/developers/

Linda

ResourceSpace has transformed the way we use our photo library

Since getting ResourceSpace, we've been able to empower our team and others in the organization to find the photos they need. Designers and photographers no longer have to be the “knowledge keepers” of the photo library—anyone with a login can search for photos themselves. Our initial investment of time in setting up the system was well worth it. The ResourceSpace support team was very helpful in the onboarding process, even setting up some user groups for me when I ran up against the limits of my understanding. They continue to provide excellent support. The system has scaled well to additional user groups and a growing library.

Pros

Support, price, and features: The Montala support team has been amazing - super-fast response time, despite being on different continents. Every rep I've had contact with has been helpful, respectful, and patient. Price - The annual service fee gives us huge value. Features - The system is remarkably customizable, and the support team has been great at helping me implement whatever I need. Ongoing updates to the system continue to add value.

Cons

Integrations with Adobe products would be amazing!

Reasons for choosing ResourceSpace

We needed to self-host to comply with privacy legislation. ResourceSpace was a perfect fit for this, and also fit our modest budget.

Response from Montala

Hi Linda, many thanks for the kind words which I shall pass on to the rest of the team! You mentioned you'd like Adobe integration, well we actually have it - see https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/plugins/adobe_link Dan

Tony

Exceptional tool for making the most of our visual assets

We've really benefited from Montala's knowledge on how to set up ResourceSpace to maximise benefit.

Pros

We started self hosting ResourceSpace about 10 years ago, an decided to use their hosted platform more recently. ResourceSpace has enabled us to share media, promotional and archive resources with our global team.

Cons

There are some advanced admin features that could be made a little more user friendly, but the team at Montala have jumped in to help if we've got stuck.

Reasons for choosing ResourceSpace

Price (initially free!) Web access rather than client app based. Unlimited seats.

Response from Montala

Thanks for the great review! We're always working on the usability of the software - it's been a major focus over the past year and will continue to be for some time. We're moving to those admin areas you mention now. An example of a complex admin area that's now easy to use is Search Filters - see: https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/systemadmin/search-filters There's much more to come along these lines!

Replied October 2020

Excellent support from Montala. The time differential US Eastern to UK was not a problem

It is a great time saver for our Communications department. Our museum had a technically demanding implementation requiring integration with our TMS system of record.

Pros

The feature list is very competitive among digital asset management systems and it is growing all the time. Montala support is exceptional. Implementation was smooth with plentiful help from Montala. The help desk responds very quickly and is willing to explain the nature of your issues as well as fix them. The cost is a tremendous bargain.

Cons

Setting privileges is not as straightforward as it could be but Montala is very helpful if you get stuck. The setup pages for granting privileges needs to be improved, but I believe that such a revamp is on Montala's upgrade path. The online documentation was spotty at first but it is becoming first rate very quickly.

Kristin

Revolutionized my workflow

ResourceSpace has revolutionized my workflow. I can quickly process new assets, file them together with the necessary information, and share with my organization. Previous systems had been a headache and worry for me as an administrator and nearly impossible for my colleagues to use but ResourceSpace gives me confidence and relief that our assets and image management system is in order.

Pros

I love that I can quickly find the assets that I need and that I can file robust caption and other detailed information with images.

Cons

I find that my colleagues inexperienced with image searches struggle with the usability.

An excellent resource management system

A very positive experience, user feedback has been excellent

Pros

Extremely user-friendly and very easy to tailor to the institution's needs

Cons

New developments tend to be buggy at first, but repairs are always swift and thorough

Response from Montala

Many thanks for the great review! We've taken on board the comment about testing of new features and this is something we're working to improve. We already have an extensive regression testing process however we're now looking to use automated testing to cover as many edge cases as possible, which should decrease the number of bugs found on production systems.

Jared

A good solution if you have a designated administrator

We probably didn't fully utilize with everything that it is capable of. It did provide a great way to use our own servers. We just didn't have the resources to keep it maintained.

Pros

It was open source so we could host on our own servers.

Jason

Industry: Philanthropy

A practical resource

Pros

Resource Space is a robust warehouse platform with useful features. The ability to customize your account is great and its easy to have outside photographers upload and tag directly to the system.

Cons

While generally easy to use, it feels like Resource Space was developed by developers in that it can be very technical and all about the features (vs what an average user might need/want)

Response from Montala

Thanks for the review and the kind comments. Just to touch on the last point on it being quite technical - we felt the same way at the time of your review. Since then we've put a lot of work in to the UI including an extensive overhaul following a report we commissioned from a UX specialist. There's now much more of a focus on the core features and ResourceSpace generally has a less "technical" vibe to it. Would be great to know what you think!

Megan

Great organizational tool for our photo database

We have decades worth of photos, and Resource Space gives us an easy way to search them. The ability to caption photos is hugely helpful, and the collections give us a way to browse photos when we need something more general. The ability to directly share items (especially video files), without needing to download them and then upload them again to Dropbox or Hightail, is invaluable.

Pros

Having so many ways to identify and describe assets: tags, captions, subjects, etc. The ability to create and browse collections, and the ability to share directly from Resource Space.

Cons

Could be a little easier to navigate.

Response from Montala

Hi Megan, Thanks for your very positive review! After reading your comment about ease of navigation I thought it was worth adding that we've worked to address this since you wrote your review, and have added the Browse Bar which pulls together the various navigational elements in one easy to use side panel. See: https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/user/browsebar I hope that's useful.

Janice

Industry: Research

Having our historical database online for our researchers has been an amazing experience.

We are able to provide online access to the amazing history of Leadville, Colorado.

Pros

I love the flexibility of the interface. The software allows us to present our collection in its many formats. Our database works seamlessly with our website. The tech staff is most helpful and always have great suggestions for making our collection shine.

Ciprian

Best free DAM there is

Price. It's free!

Pros

The different options for deploying. I took the easy one of installing via Bitnami however they have tutorials for any option and OS you want.

Cons

I literally have no cons. The system is easy to set up and there's an extensive how-to library. You can also add plugins which makes it even better.

Response from Montala

Hi Ciprian, Thanks for your very positive review! We're pleased that you find the knowledge-base so useful, and the plugin options. You know where we are, if you ever need us! Thanks, Charlotte -ResourceSpace Team

Replied May 2018

Michelle

ResourceSpace is an extremely powerful tool, and has been very helpful for our organization.

Pros

The software is extremely customizable, and we've been able to adjust it to our organization's specific needs. Already, even after a short time of using it, we've seen the potential it has to manage the many different assets we have to store. We're excited about its huge capacity to help us keep, track, and recall our resources in a moment with its powerful search mechanisms.

Cons

Though the customer support is excellent, the documentation is not always easy to understand, and answers can be difficult to find. Where the user interface is not intuitive, it can make it difficult to teach and demonstrate to new users, especially ones who are unfamiliar with the concept of data asset storage.

Response from Montala

Thank you for the review and it's great to hear how useful ResourceSpace is for your organisation. It's been a little while since your review and I thought it was worth addressing that point on documentation. We've worked hard to improve this and our Knowledge Base now includes videos and much more user friendly documentation. I hope that's useful! https://www.resourcespace.com/knowledge-base/

Jeff