In a collaborative business setup, employees have to communicate with, not only their own teammates, but also members of other teams. Any miscommunication or delay in communication can result in poor collaboration and missed project deadlines.
Team communication software equips businesses with the tools required to ensure effective communication among employees. It allows team members to exchange messages, share files, and connect via audio and video calls.
Since there are several team communication software tools available on the market, it can be difficult for buyers to find the right solution. To help with product selection, we’ve created a buyers guide that includes important information required for making a purchase decision.
Here's what we'll cover:
What is team communication software?
Team communication software is a type of software that lets users collaborate with their team members via direct messages, group chats, and audio and video conferences. It allows users to perform the following functions:
- Share work-related files and documents
- Communicate with peers remotely
- Share screens and conduct online presentations
- Create and manage discussion forums and chat groups
- Conduct one-on-one or group meetings
Group messaging in Slack (Source)
Common features of team communication software
In this section, we’ve listed some of the common features of team communication software. Identify features required for your business, and select a solution accordingly.
||Use a drag-and-drop interface to share files, or send files as attachments.
||Communicate with teammates using a business-wide internal chat tool.
||Connect with team members via video calls. Send invites and add multiple colleagues to these calls.
||Share your desktop screen with teammates for online presentations, collaboration, or other business purposes.
||Create message groups to discuss projects and tasks, and share related updates.
What type of buyer are you?
Based on number of employees, most buyers can be divided into the following two types:
- Small and midsize businesses (up to 1,000 employees): These businesses have fewer employees and therefore small teams and simple collaboration needs. Team communication software with instant messaging, audio and video conferencing, and file sharing capabilities should meet the needs of such buyers.
- Large businesses (over 1,000 employees): Such businesses have large teams and therefore more complex collaboration needs. They also have different departments that need to collaborate frequently. These businesses should invest in a comprehensive team communication tool with file sharing, one-on-one and group chats, audio and video conferencing, and screen sharing capabilities. They should also seek a tool that can be integrated with other software applications, such as project management tools.
Benefits of team communication software
Understanding the key benefits of team communication software will help you build a strong case for investing in one.
- Removal of communication gaps: Team communication software provides all the tools required for easy and effective collaboration. Users can connect with their peers in real time via instant messages, chats, audio calls, and video conferences instead of having to schedule meetings or send emails. This ease of communication also helps save time, thereby enhancing team productivity.
- Improved project management: Effective communication is key to smooth project execution. Miscommunication or delay in communication can lead to potential crisis situations. Team communication software offers the tools required to coordinate efforts, connect in real time, and communicate about project challenges. It helps project members stay on the same page and have access to the latest information.
- Better work efficiency: Team communication software enables employees to work collaboratively. With real-time access to resources (such as files and documents) and the ability to discuss work via audio and video calls, employees can complete their tasks more quickly and efficiently.
Market trends to understand
Here are some key trends impacting the team collaboration software space:
- Shift toward smartphone-based collaboration: With businesses increasingly implementing bring-your-own-device (BYOD) policies, smartphones are becoming employees’ preferred method of communication. In line with this trend, team collaboration software vendors are working on improving the mobile experience for users by providing mobile apps with features such as integrated messaging, video calling and conferencing, and real-time notifications.
- Corporate social networking on the rise: Corporate social networking allows businesses to replicate the social networking experience for their employees to improve participation and engagement. With increasing emphasis on employee collaboration and engagement, corporate social networking is expected to become a key team communication software functionality in the near future.
- Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) to replicate the physical meeting experience: Team communication software equipped with AR and VR capabilities combines the ease of online meetings with the physical experience of in-person meetings. It provides interactive virtual spaces where teams can connect and collaborate just like they would do in physical meetings.
Note: The application selected in this article is an example to show a feature in context and isn’t intended as an endorsement or recommendation. It has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable at the time of publication.