athenahealth is providing cloud-based services for electronic health records (EHR), revenue cycle management & medical billing, patient engagement, care coordination, and population health management, as well as Epocrates and other point-of-care mobile apps.

athenahealth currently works with a network of more than 99,000 providers. The EHR offers a homepage that allows users to review the daily schedule and patient information, manage orders, and view incoming lab results. The billing module can be used in tandem with the EHR or on its own, and features a patented and continuously updated rules engine. Medical practice management tools include visibility into daily responsibilities, custom benchmarking, proactive trends analysis, and more.

Patients can utilize a patient portal to review history, pay bills, sign forms, and schedule appointments. Reminders can be delivered via phone, email, or text message; patients can even be alerted when test results are waiting in the patient portal.

647 Reviews of athenahealth EHR

3.73 / 5 stars

Filters:

Joel from Medical Practice

Physician - Owner; Internal medicine practice

I had Allscripts before this EMR for ten years. Horrible customer service. I had eMDS after Allscripts - more horrible service and a disaster of a product that was nearly non-functional. I believe that Athena is the best that there currently is. I would not change and it has helped my bottom line and satisfaction in practice. No EMR is going to save you time - all they do is keep you honest in reporting and decrease your risk of accidentally over billing due to lack of documentation.

Pros

It handles the changes to the healthcare environment; ie MACRA, MIPS, Meaningfull use, automatic vaccine/ pharmaceutical data download. Electronic prescribing including controlled substances.

Cons

Time consuming like most EMRs. There really isn't a significant negative for this product. Requires that you take the time to customize and streamline for your workflow.

Drew from florida hospital

athena can be very slow

it is a good EMR compared to others

Pros

it is web based so it can be used outside of the work evronment

Cons

it can be very slow at times due to number of people using it. during off-peak hours it is very fast

Lic. Francia Sanoja from Sanitas Venezuela

5 of 5

The broad health network.

It has allowed me to maintain a communication through the network of connection with my patients, generating a higher quality service every day.

Pros

The integration between the health network, medical connection in all its specialties and the wide variety of patients in a personalized service platform with state-of-the-art technology and quality.

Cons

It would be great to be able to integrate more integrated services in the platform such as laboratories, diagnostic centers, pharmaceutical industry with an operative interaction with the patient that allows a much more complete information network with an optimal quality care.

Hilda from Three Lower County Community Services

Recommending

Pros

used as outpatient EMR, Easy to navigate

Cons

Too much information needed for the note

Darren from Medical Practice

The truth

I have no ill will or axe to grind., I honestly do not want any of my colleagues to go thru what I am still going through. (Contract termination next month) Hooray!

Pros

I like the apps.. the athenacapture , athenatext and athenanet apps for my iphone worked faster and more efficient than our PC’s in our office..;
Some patients actually tell me they like the system..

Cons

Whoo., where to start,, lets just say Athena is a big Con job..
Ongoing Suffering , pain, misery for over a year,, i think I will need therapy and counseling after this PTSD experience;
Don’t believe What you see in their promo videos and fake online reviews ssy.
I fell for them al..
They are devilish with their 75 page fine print contracts(beware)
Lets just say nothing works like it should.
The system has a behemoth amount of extraneous setup /customizable options however
They are not easy to configure and nobody helps you even if you beg..
I just asked for basic family practice set up and that is too confusing for the system :
The system has preset worksets so if your MA types chest pain as chief complaint
It automatically pulls the EKG,troponin
So lets just say you have to spend a great deal of time customizing this beast of a system and its never just right:
No-one at athena believes in keeping it simple..
They are insincere, unavailability (east coast)
They Don’t think like doctors and that is the problem..

Stephanie from Hospital & Health Care

4 of 5

Client and patient friendly!

Great EHR software and an amazing patient portal both which make my job easier!!! Just need to fix a few minor bugs then would be a 5 star product!!

Pros

I like that it's very easy to use and it does it's own updates! The patient portal is a big help!

Cons

Customer service takes forever! Waiting on the phone is that last thing anyone wants to do. Program is slow sometimes and I have to call Athena to get it fixed! Also you cannot connect to another doc office if they are not a part of the Athena network!

4 of 5

New user, like it so far

Happy with product so far! I am really enjoying learning the product!

Pros

I am a new user to Athena and so far with clinical I really do like it. Before we had a separate program for patient health information from our billing and scheduling, having a nice link with the Athena scheduling is nice. There are also many different areas for the chart which helps define spaces for certain information which is nice so there is no hunting down information.

Cons

I am not s huge fan of how big the screens are, scrolling to get to my indented information is a wee frustrating but the other benefits help outweigh this. It also was a little hard to get used to the lay out, but now that we have been using it, I do like it.

Tracy from Pain Management

Great EMR

Pros

To me, the pros of Athena EMR include user friendly and streamlined interface along with prompt technical assistance.

Cons

To me, a con of Athena EMR is that it is hard to search for help topics because I have to be specific. I wish it has a broad area that I can click then more detail.

Anna from Great Falls Clinic

Could Be Better...

Pros

Fairly straightforward. Easy to learn in a short time frame. Relatively clean and easy to navigate.

Cons

The reports feature is an absolute nightmare. Being a Clinical Research Coordinator, I am constantly trying to run reports for all of our different studies and my success rate for running a functional report is pretty minimal. I also do not like how it doesn't hold accountability very well. I feel that Athena should demand start and stop dates for medications as well as treatments/problems. Also! Be careful- it's far too easy to delete things!

Jarred from Merit Health

5 of 5

Very easy to pick up and get going.

Pros

The user interface is very friendly and everything is set up to guide you through easily while entering patient information.

Cons

Sometimes the add on software like the label printer and document printer would stop working, but that is rare.

Abraham from Rishavena Home Health Care

All-in-one Medical Billing platform

Pros

Our company found AthenaHealth to be the best Healthcare Billing Software we have ever used. It is so ingrained in our daily tasks that I can no longer imagine use functioning properly as a profitable business with the freedom to cultivate creative expressions and innovations without it. Their Customer Service staff are always helpful and take their time with you as if you were the only customer in the world.

Cons

The software takes some getting used. Customer Service is extremely helpful but hold times can be excruciating - especially when you need the software right then and there

Brandi from Ascension

Very nice software

I was very happy with the ease of finding patient charts and having everything in one spot.

Pros

This software is user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

This software really doesn’t have any cons. I was very happy with it.

Super efficient for client/patient

Pros

I have used this software as the patient, and I think it’s great! The easiest part is the billing. Medical bills can be difficult to keep track of often, however this software makes it easy for a patient to see all their billing info in one place.

Cons

I’m always a fan of apps, and I wish there was an app!

Deborah from PHP-Center for Clinical Research

AthenaHealth

I am able to streamline reports more accurately for the questionnaires I complete so it paints a better picture of the patient population we work with. I can match it up to see if we have a need for research studies within a specific age group and disease category.

Pros

Charting is easy. There is a report function is helpful in order to determine patient visit and diagnoses type of statistics for feasibility questionnaires that I complete.

Cons

Some of the filters could be more specific for reports I require. Otherwise, it works well.

Nusrat from Rush University medical Center

athenaClinicals

It is a great software to use and cost effective compare to other EHR software.

Pros

athena Clinicals is a great EHR software, user friendly and save time for documentation and billing process. It is useful to get all patient information including medical history, labs and medication chart.

Cons

It required basic computer skills to navigate through different tab and initially take some time but with in week or two costumer can understand how to navigate it.

Nickia from John Ed's Cafe & Catering

A simple EHR system

Pros

A easy to use EHR system that my older co-workers who weren't computer savey were able to operate. Patient loved using the patient portal and it made my job much easier. Having everything from patient labs, office notes, current meds all on page made made use of this system very helpful.

Cons

We have had multiple billing issues with this system as well as problems with the system crashing after updates. I have noticed that some patient info was lost after updates as well.

Amber from Key Medical Group

Athenahealth

Pros

Very user friendly, customer service is outstanding. The ease of submitting questions and quick responses

Cons

multiple areas that do the same thing, little repetitive

Rebekah from Great Falls Clinic

Athena

Pros

Athena definitely has potential, however it is not one of my favorite EMR's used. It is nice how it can departmentalize different physicians and checking their schedules is relatively easy.

Cons

Athena is not very user friendly. Do not try to run reports, as these can be highly inaccurate.

Abby from Dell Children's Medical Center

3 of 5

Easy to use but has flaws

Overall, it keeps medical charts organized and it is easy to update and change information. They do try to update the software regularly, so that is nice.

Pros

It is generally easy to use. A recent update in the last year, so the layout is much improved. It is pretty user-friendly.

Cons

First, there is not enough security in terms of being able to secure certain types of notes to keep them from being accessible to people within your network. Second, when you send patient cases back and forth, there is no notification of new notes on an open case.

Bea from Megaworld Corporation

athenahealth solutions

Pros

Great app for those difficult health questions and solutions that your not sure of. It will answer all your concerns and queries.

Cons

No problem with downloading this tool and no negatives to report. Get all your health queries answered.