Running a private practice as a mental health practitioner comes with many challenges. You need to handle administrative tasks such as scheduling appointments, maintaining patient records, and generating invoices. Without staff support, most of your time and energy would go into covering these operations instead of spending time with patients and improving their diagnosis.
Mental health EHR software can help your practice overcome such obstacles. These tools have capabilities specifically designed to streamline operations for private practices that deal with mental health issues.
This article highlights eight top-rated mental health EHR software for private practices. These products (listed alphabetically) have been selected from Software Advice’s Mental Health FrontRunners report, according to the methodology specified here.
- Notable features: ABA data collection, Appointment management, Claims management, HIPAA compliance
CentralReach is a cloud-based practice management system for therapy providers. It helps automate functions such as scheduling recurring appointments, creating and sending invoices against patient care, and generating reports to assess practice performance and make data-driven decisions.
CentralReach offers online sign-ups and video consultations to reduce the administrative burden of onboarding patients. It also records each online session. For practitioners that handle prescriptions, the software maintains a record of patient dosages and medication types.
With CentralReach, mental health professionals can create therapy programs with personalized patient treatment plans and trackable behavioral therapy courses and progress reports.
CentralReach offers email, phone, and chat support. It is web-based and also has apps for desktop and mobile (iOS and Android) devices.
- Notable features: Claims management, EMR/EHR, Self-service portal, Single provider practice
CounSol.com is a cloud-based practice management and mental health EMR platform. It provides an online patient portal for appointment booking, insurance claims submissions, and group session booking. It also offers a secure e-journal that patients can use to submit entries about their sessions.
With CounSol.com, mental health practitioners can host online video sessions with patients, create treatment plans for them, and track progress using client progress notes. Practitioners also get access to a client scheduler where they can set preferences about availability and timing. Patients can view the calendars to check availability and book sessions.
CounSol.com is web-based and offers email, phone, and chat support.
- Notable features: Compliance tracking, Confirmation/reminders, E-prescribing, Initial assessments
InSync Healthcare Solutions is a cloud-based mental health and EHR platform designed to provide patient care to people with substance abuse and mental health issues.
With InSync, providers can schedule patient visits and create progress notes after each session. They can save patients’ charts and records, and prescribe medication to patients digitally. They can also set up online sessions using the built-in video conferencing functionality.
The software provides a custom dashboard to view patient records. It lets practices create customizable sign-up forms and assessment sheets for new patients. It is HIPAA compliant and helps stay up to date with all applicable practicing licenses.
InSync offers email and phone support. The software is web-based.
- Notable features: Charting, Claims scrubbing, EMR/EHR, Staff management, HIPAA compliance
KASA is a mental health and practice management software tool with an appointment calendar that color codes meetings based on urgency and indicates each session type to segregate workload.
The software sends automated appointment reminders to let practices track last-minute cancellations and no-shows. It also helps simplify patient records, including progress notes and prescriptions, by only highlighting important information during patient sessions.
KASA provides messaging for staff members as well as patients. Practices can access a pre-built template library to set up and create automated messages for appointment confirmations, payments, and more.
KASA offers only chat support. It is web-based and also has a mobile app for Android and iOS devices.
- Notable features: Compliance tracking, E-prescribing, Handwriting recognition, Self-service portal
Praxis EMR is behavioral health software that uses AI to learn how a mental health provider operates and adapts to its unique needs. It learns from past cases and identifies similarities between patient records to provide smart patient diagnoses.
Praxis offers a built-in document manager—called Scanaway—that assists with scanning, imaging, and archiving patient documents and other sensitive files, which can then be imported digitally.
Its built-in research tool—called Praxis DataMiner—helps search for available medical information about patient populations in a specific area. Providers can use this information to conduct clinical studies and drug trials.
Praxis EMR offers email, phone, and chat support. It is web-based and also has applications for desktop and mobile (Android and iOS) devices.
- Notable features: Customizable dashboard, Customizable template, E-prescribing
RXNT is a cloud-based behavioral health software suite integrated with applications such as telehealth, medical scheduling, patient management, and e-prescribing. Its EHR app helps practitioners connect with patients virtually, access historical records and prescriptions, schedule appointments, and request and review lab reports.
RXNT integrates with third-party video and audio platforms for live consultations; these online sessions can be recorded for future reference. It allows providers to share clinical data with patients in real time. It offers customizable data templates, smart forms, and short keys to make documentation user-friendly and save time on administrative tasks.
The tool’s built-in scheduler allows patients to schedule appointments and sign consent forms on the patient portal. Its medical billing feature helps automate tasks such as creating invoices and submitting claims.
RXNT offers email, phone, and live chat support. It has a mobile app for iOS and Android devices.
- Notable features: Assessment notes, Appointment scheduling, Claims scrubbing, Client portal
SimplePractice is a cloud-based practice management and mental health EHR system. It allows providers to create a website for their private practice from scratch. It also assists with payment processing and insurance claims management.
With SimplePractice, practices can centralize client communication and store all important documents in one place. Patients can file primary and secondary insurance claims electronically, and payments get simplified with an autopay feature.
The software provides built-in audio and video calling to facilitate online sessions with patients. It also offers a client portal that patients can use to upload their medical records, sign paperwork, book appointments, and send messages.
SimplePractice offers email, phone, and chat support. It is web-based and also has apps for desktop and mobile (Android and iOS) devices.
- Notable features: Adjustor management Co-pay and deductible tracking, Claims management, Compliance management, Client management
TherapyNotes is a cloud-based mental health EHR system designed for private practices. Its key features include patient scheduling, medical billing, and a patient portal.
With TherapyNotes, practices can build custom sign-up forms (to collect patient data), customize patient treatment plans, create progress notes, and maintain historical records and charts. They can also schedule recurring appointments and set up automated appointment reminders for patients.
TherapyNotes is HIPAA-certified and complies with PCI standards for data security.
The tool offers email, chat, and phone support. It is web-based and also has an app for iPad.
How to choose the right mental health EHR software
The tools mentioned above can get you started on your software search, but to find the best mental health EHR software that fits your requirements, we recommend following these steps:
- Assess your business needs. The software you choose should align with the requirements and goals of your private practice. For instance, it should be scalable as per your practice’s service areas and accessible via any device.
- Look for functionality to track billable hours. For live consultations, you need to track hours and bill the right patients. An ideal mental health EHR tool should automate this process and eliminate manual data entry during invoice creation.
- Choose software that integrates with your existing tools. You must already be using tools such as video conferencing and data collection to schedule patient consultations and create medical charts. Ensure the EHR platform you select is compatible with these existing solutions so patient care and communication remains seamless.
- Select software that complies with security policies. Choose software that complies with regulatory requirements, such as HIPAA and FDA, to provide end-to-end encryption of patients’ medical data. Look for security features such as data access to authorized users, encryption of communications, user identity validation, protection against unusual access, and prevention of security breaches.
- Look for multidevice compatibility. A tool that allows you to book appointments, track bills, and view reports from any device will help enhance operations and allow you to remain connected with your patients at all times.
Common questions to ask while selecting mental health EHR software
Here are some questions to ask mental health EHR software providers before making a final purchase:
- What type of deployment and access options are available? It’s better to invest in a cloud-based solution to ensure a high standard of safety and privacy for your medical practice. A cloud-based tool will provide access to patients’ information on any device, from any location.
- Does the software support multiple users? Check if you need multiple users, such as staff or therapists, to have access to the software. A solution that supports multiple users at a reasonable cost should be your priority when looking at options.
- Which technical support channels does this software use? Examine the EHR tool’s technical assistance options. Check if the vendor provides support resources such as product manuals and guides. Also, check which support channels—live chat, call, email—are available.
How did we select these products? Based on your reviews
At Software Advice, we consider and verify all our user reviews to recommend the most efficient tools for your business.
Our software recommendations reflect the views and experiences given by your peers. These recommendations are never bought or sold, nor based on the opinion of a single individual.
To be included in this list, products must:
Be listed under Software Advice’s FrontRunners report for mental health software
- Read more about the FrontRunners methodology here.
- Meet our mental health EHR software market definition: “Mental health EHR software, also known as behavioral health EHR software, allows physicians, therapists and other related professionals to manage their clinical, administrative and operational workflows. The software also manages patient case or outcome management and ensures regulatory compliance.”
- Must have electronic health record (EHR) as one of their core features.
The eight products with the highest customer satisfaction and usability scores are featured in this article.